English What do you do for a 225th anniversary The answer in Canada’s first incorporated city was celebrate! Saint John 225: The Original City/La ville originale was a year-long celebration of the city’s heritage, creativity and . . . — — Map (db m77568) HM
Construction of this tower was begun by the British Army during the War of 1812 as one of the projected series of fortifications intended to block the western land approach to Saint John. Subsequent to its completion in 1815 the tower was largely . . . — — Map (db m120628) HM
This historic city block of attached late-Victorian buildings was designed and constructed immediately after the Great Fire of 1877 that swept away much of Saint John. Prominent architects from Canada and the United States vied for the honour of . . . — — Map (db m77457) HM
Constructed in 1879, on the site of the 1815 “Auld Kirk”, the present church is a faithful representation of the Gothic Revival style. One highlight of the interior is the Gothicized pulpit by local carver John Rogerson. . . . — — Map (db m77483) HM
English The New Brunswick Electric Power Commission’s DOCK STREET PLANT, built on this site in 1889, was the longest continually operating electrical generation station in the world.
Built by the Saint John Railway Company, the 18,000 . . . — — Map (db m77558) HM
The first vessel in the world propelled by a compound steam engine was the REINDEER launched for service on the Saint John, in 1845. Both the vessel and engine were designed by Benjamin Tibbets, a native of Queen’s County, New . . . — — Map (db m77428) HM
In 1854, Robert Foulis of St. John, N.B., first advocated the use of a steam horn or whistle to give warning to vessels in foggy weather. An apparatus devised by him was installed on Partridge Island in 1859. This was the first . . . — — Map (db m77430) HM
Three markers are mounted on this monument Fort Howe
English Late in 1777 Major Gilfred Studholme hurriedly fortified this ridge overlooking the mouth of the Saint John River. Throughout the remainder of the American . . . — — Map (db m77537) HM
The increase of population consequent upon the large influx of Loyalists in 1783 and 1784 convinced the British government of the desirability of creating the Province of New Brunswick. This was done on 16 August 1784. Brigadier . . . — — Map (db m77519) HM
Constructed in 1912-1913 to the designs of Philadelphia architect A.E. Westover, this structure was built by the Keith-Albee chain of New York City and its Canadian subsidiary, the Saint John Amusements Company. Dramatic, musical . . . — — Map (db m77506) HM
This Celtic cross, erected in 1967 by descendants of the Irish settlers, is a half scale replica of a cross which stands on Partridge Island in Saint John Harbour.
A reproduction of the plaque on the original cross is shown below.
This . . . — — Map (db m78253) HM
The Memorial Bandstand was designed and built in 1908 for the City Coronet Band by Neil Brodie, a local architect. One year later, it was donated to the City of Saint John in the name of Edward VII of England.
The bandstand is . . . — — Map (db m77531) HM
King’s Square, named for King George III of England, was granted to the City of Saint John by royal charter in 1785. During its early years, the grounds were the site of such public uses as oxen roasts, fireworks displays, militia . . . — — Map (db m77534) HM
Established on October 8, 1892 in connection with King’s College, Windsor, N.S., New Brunswick’s first School of Law was located in this building until 1953. The school is now the Faculty of Law of the University of New Brunswick. This plaque was . . . — — Map (db m77482) HM
The cry “Fire!” so terrified Canadians in the early 19th century that communities began to construct permanent fire stations. Erected in 1840, this elegant Neoclassical building is a pioneer example of a firehall . . . — — Map (db m77508) HM
This marker has plaques on both sides.English
Before the 1877 Fire
The year is 1865, and you are looking across Market Square at the “Imperial Building.” This was the site of the famous “Coffee . . . — — Map (db m77480) HM
Built between 1874 ad 1876, the Saint John City market narrowly escaped the fire that swept through the town in 1877 and stands today as a rare and distinguished example of a 19th century market building. Designed in the Second . . . — — Map (db m77535) HM
Saint John’s original burial ground was established on this site shortly after the landing of the United Empire Loyalists in 1783. After its closure as a cemetery in 1845, the site became a memorial garden with tree lined walkways . . . — — Map (db m77518) HM
Saint John has a strong Scottish presence. The breakup of the clan system in the late 18th century caused massive emigration from the Highlands. As a result, some 25 percent of the population has Scottish ancestry. Scottish . . . — — Map (db m77458) HM
A three-masted full-rigged ship with a modified clipper hull, the Marco Polo earned a reputation as the “fastest ship in the world” and drew international attention to New Brunswick shipyards. Built in 1851 by . . . — — Map (db m77456) HM
There are two side to this markerEnglish
The Great Fire of 1877
One of the most destructive fires of modern times occurred at Saint John, N.B., on Wednesday, June 20th, 1877. It was more calamitous in its character than . . . — — Map (db m77570) HM
On 10 May 1783 the Spring Fleet, carrying over 2,000 Loyalists, arrived at the Saint John River mouth. The exiles, mostly civilians from the Middle Colonies, established themselves in the newly-surveyed townsites of Parr and . . . — — Map (db m77432) HM
This plaque is in commemoration of the firm of Messrs. Troop and son, shipowners in the city of Saint John, New Brunswick, where the business of the firm was carried on during the years 1847-1912. Founded by Jacob V. Troop, the business was . . . — — Map (db m77459) HM