Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint John the Baptist Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Allees Gwendolyn Midlo Hall Marker (<i>wide view; marker visible at far left, near gate</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, May 12, 2018
Allees Gwendolyn Midlo Hall Marker (wide view; marker visible at far left, near gate)
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — Allées Gwendolyn Midlo Hall
This monument records the names of 107,000 people held in bondage in Louisiana from 1719-1820. The records were gathered from the database Afro-Louisiana History and Genealogy, created by noted historian Gwendolyn Midlo Hall. We have named . . . — Map (db m117304) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — Caroline Deslonde BeauregardWife of Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard — 1831- March, 1864
As Madame Beauregard lay dying in New Orleans, she yearned to see her husband once more, but his duties in the Confederate Army made his return impossible. She knew her husband could not be spared as a soldier of the South, and she resigned herself . . . — Map (db m85143) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — Saint John The Baptist Church
On February 21, 1770 property was set aside by Spanish authority for a church on the second German Coast. When Father Bernardo de Limpach arrived in 1772, Acadians had also settled in the area. The new church took the name of the original Chapel . . . — Map (db m87943) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — St. John The Baptist Catholic Church1770
From which civil parish was named. First church on second German Coast when Louisiana was a colony of Spain. Served west and east banks of river until 1864. Old cemetery contains wife of Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard and John Slidell family tomb. — Map (db m85324) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — The Slave Quarters
Before the Civil War, the Whitney Plantation counted 22 slave cabins on its site. They were made of cypress and were located along River Road, downriver from the Big House. Most of the original cabins were torn down in the 1970s to enlarge the . . . — Map (db m117313) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Laplace — A. Montz
Armand Montz Sr., 1887~1968. Built ice & packing plant in 1914; remodeled in 1930s. Packed & shipped vegetables to various parts of the U.S. Frozen food industry pioneer. His plant was important factor in local economy. — Map (db m85244) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Laplace — Bonnet Carré Crevasse
In 1871 on this bonnet-shaped curve of the Mississippi River a disastrous break in the levee cut a wide channel to Lake Pontchartrain. Crevasse closed in 1883. Bonnet Carré Spillway completed in 1932. — Map (db m85245) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Laplace — Civil War Cannon
Found in Lake Pontchartrain in St. John the Baptist Parish, one-half mile from Ruddock in 1977. Used as a one-gun battery to guard the railroad along the western side of the lake. It never came under attack. — Map (db m85762) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Laplace — Laplace
Town of LAPLACE named when a railroad stop was established on the Bazile Laplace plantation in 1883. Post office followed in 1887.It was first named Eugenia, then re-named LAPLACE in 1892. — Map (db m85242) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Laplace — Woodland Plantation
Acquired in 1793 & 1808 by Manuel Andry, a commandant of the German Coast. Major 1811 slave uprising organized here. Ory Bros. & A. Lasseigne were last owners of plantation. Its subdivision in 1923 spurred the growth of LAPLACE. — Map (db m85243) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Reserve — First Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church Sanctuary
Formerly, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, this sanctuary represents an important historical phenomenon in the history of the Catholic Church in southern Louisiana, the formation of separate churches for black parishioners. Prior to its founding, . . . — Map (db m85247) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Reserve — Graugnard House
Built at the turn of the century as a retirement home for Leon Graugnard, a French immigrant from Basses-Alpes, France. Graugnard, married to Eva Bacas, was a respected and accomplished businessman and was known as one of the most successful sugar . . . — Map (db m85019) HM
Louisiana (Saint John the Baptist Parish), Reserve — Maurin's Theater
Maurin's Theater, built in 1931, by Louis J. Maurin, has long served the community as a cinema and fine arts show place. After renovations in 1981, it re-opened as St. John Theatre and has been designated as the Cultural and Civic Center of St. John . . . — Map (db m85056) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.