Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Salem County New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Delaware Memorial Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By R. C.
Delaware Memorial Bridge Marker
New Jersey (Salem County), Churchtown — Delaware Memorial Bridge
1951 — 1968 South Span — Dedicated August 16, 1951 North Span — Dedicated September 12, 1968 Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey dedicated these bridges on September 12, 1968 to the men and women of the State of Delaware and . . . — Map (db m25561) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Daretown — Old Pittsgrove Presbyterian Church
Formally organized in 1741, through services had been held as early as 1720. The old church was built in 1767. School here came to be called “Pittsgrove College”, because of number of students prepared for college by the ministers. — Map (db m88458) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Daretown — Pittsgrove Church
Founded in 1741, first Presbyterian Church in present Salem County. Its boarding school was important in the 1780's. — Map (db m88489) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Hancock House1778
In memory of those patriots who were massacred by the British in this house March 21, 1778 ---------- Erected by Oak Tree Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Salem New Jersey 1903 — Map (db m21591) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Hancock House Massacre
The winter of 1777 – 1778 had been particularly harsh on both the British and the Colonial troops. British commanders learned that the rich agricultural supplies in lower New Jersey could be obtained with little resistance and sent detachments . . . — Map (db m21604) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Old Bridges at this LocationHancocks Bridge and the Revolution War
Old Bridges at this Location The first bridge across Alloways Creek at this location was built by John Hancock and others in 1709 and was known as Hancocks Bridge. The same year (1709) two other bridges were built across Alloways Creek, one at . . . — Map (db m21606) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Patriots Massacred in the Hancock House
In commemoration of the patriots massacred in the Hancock House March 21, 1778. Erected by the Patriotic Order Sons of America of Salem County July 2, 1932. — Map (db m21592) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Patterned Brick HousesHancock House Historic Site
The exterior of the Hancock House is an outstanding example of the patterned brick houses that once dotted the landscape of Salem County, NJ. Modeled after the seventeenth-century building traditions of the Quakers’ English homeland, masons used . . . — Map (db m21703) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Swedish CabinHancock House Historic Site
This single-room cabin is a rare remaining example of hand-hewn, white cedar plank construction and reflects a traditional Swedish cabin. This cabin, with its glazed windows, is more elaborate than those typically constructed in the . . . — Map (db m21700) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — The Alloway Creek WatershedWetland Restoration Site
The Alloway Creek Watershed Wetland Restoration SiteThe Alloway Creek Watershed Site encompasses approximately 3,096 acres of wetland and upland edge in Elsinboro and Lower Alloway Creek Township, Salem County. This site follows the north side . . . — Map (db m44028) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Hancocks Bridge — Waving Acres of GrassSalt Marshes & Meadows — Coastal Habitats
Salt marshes are one of the most productive habitats in the world and possess many surprising qualities and benefits – protecting the mainland from flooding and the effects of erosion, filtering sediments and some pollutants from the water, . . . — Map (db m44026) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — 1872 ConstructionBattery Control Station No. 2
The original 1872 plans specified that eleven gun emplacements with twenty guns and a mortar battery with six emplacements were to be built. Only two gun emplacements and two magazines were ever completed, the magazines are still visible to your . . . — Map (db m22040) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.       Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114213) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Ammunition Hoist
Emplacement #1 magazine had a capacity of 494 rounds in cases and 96 rounds in rack or total of 590 rounds. Ammunition was served to this passageway by two endless chain hoists with hooks. The hoists were connected by belts to small motors. These . . . — Map (db m22018) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Arnold
The three 12-inch guns were mounted at Fort Mott between February and June, 1898. The guns and carriages were unloaded from vessels at the government wharf and transported down the rail lines behind the parapet. The guns were hauled up inclined . . . — Map (db m21770) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Commander’s Station
After the two 5-inch guns were removed in 1917, an observation station was built over one of the original gun emplacements. This structure, the battery commander’s station for Battery Arnold, was made of reinforced concrete at a cost of $850.00. It . . . — Map (db m22019) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Edwards
Named in honor of Captain Robert Edwards, who was killed in action near Frenchtown, Michigan in 1813. Battery Edwards has two casemates for 3-inch rapid fire guns, and was partially constructed using two magazines from the 1872 fortification. The . . . — Map (db m21790) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Gregg
Battery Gregg is named in honor of Captain John C. Gregg, who served as Captain in the 4th Infantry and was killed in action near Mariquana, Philippine Islands, on March 31, 1899. Completed in December 1900, Battery Gregg was the fourth of Fort . . . — Map (db m21735) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Harker
Battery Harker was named in honor of General Charles G. Harker, who served in the 2nd, 9th and 11th Infantry and was killed in action at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia, June 27, 1864. This battery has three emplacements for 10-inch guns . . . — Map (db m21772) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Krayenbuhl
Named in honor of Captain Maurice Krayenbuhl, who was killed in action near Meycausyan, Philippine Islands in March 1899. Battery Krayenbuhl’s two 5-inch rapid fire guns on the right flank of the heavy caliber battery, in conjunction with the rapid . . . — Map (db m22015) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Krayenbuhl’s 5-inch rapid fire guns
The 5-inch gun platforms, finished in the summer of 1899, had to be changed to conform to changes in the type of gun mount to be installed. The platforms had to be cut down approximately one foot, and the new platform was ready by December 2, 1899. . . . — Map (db m21794) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Church Landing Road
In 1638, the New Sweden Company financed a group of Swedes and Finns to travel to the New World to establish a colony for trade with the Native Americans and to learn about the land. These early settlers traveled up the Delaware River, entered the . . . — Map (db m88581) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Confederate Monument
Erected by the United States to mark the burial place of 2436 Confederate soldiers who died at Fort Delaware while prisoners of war and whose graves cannot now be individually identified. — Map (db m21655) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finn’s Point National Cemetery
Though located far from any site of armed conflict, Finn’s Point National Cemetery exists as a direct result of the American Civil War. It is the resting place for the remains of 2,436 Confederate soldiers whose military careers ended as prisoners . . . — Map (db m21651) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finn’s Point National Cemetery
This cemetery contains the graves of 2,436 Confederate soldiers who died while pisoners of war at Fort Delaware. — Map (db m21657) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point1638-1938 — •
Near Here 300 years ago and later lived the first colony of settlers of Finnish blood upon this continent To their memory and to the love of freedom and justice that they handed down to their descendants this tablet is erected June . . . — Map (db m68758) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point Rear Range Light
The Finns Point Range lights served as a point of entry and exit for maritime traffic between the Delaware Bay and River. In 1950, after the Army Corps of Engineers dredged the channel to 800 feet wide and 40 feet deep, the Finns Point Rangelights . . . — Map (db m65260) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point Rear Range Lighthouse
Property of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Guided ships through the upper Delaware Bay from April 2, 1877 to March 22, 1950. Through the efforts of private citizens coordinated by the "Save the Lighthouse Committee," the 115-foot iron tower was . . . — Map (db m65259) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Generator Room
The forts electrical plant was placed in a room sixteen feet by thirty feet in the west end of the main battery. The original plans for generating electrical power at the battery used a coal fired steam system. Two 25 kilowatt General Electric . . . — Map (db m22035) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Observation TowersFort Mott State Park
Fifty-two feet above the ground, soldiers in this observational tower were able to identify an enemy vessel, calculate its speed and distance, note weather conditions and communicate this information to the main plotting room and the ten-inch guns . . . — Map (db m88583) WM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Pea Patch Island
Fort Mott was one of three forts built at this location on the Delaware River. At this section of the Delaware estuary, the waterway narrows from a broad bay into a river. Considered a strategic location early in the nineteenth century, . . . — Map (db m21710) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Pea Patch Island Heronry
Pea Patch Island Heronry is the largest Atlantic Coast nesting ground north of Florida for wading birds. Originally a dredge disposal site, this vegetated high ground has been a nesting habitat for nine species of wading birds since the 1970s. It is . . . — Map (db m44021) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Peace Magazine:   1904
A Special emphasis was placed on keeping the interiors of the defensive magazines under the various batteries dry. According to an excerpt from, “Reports on 5-inch Guns, Fort Dupont and Fort Mott, December, 1900, Operations” which . . . — Map (db m21792) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge
Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge is located within the Atlantic Flyway-one of four major migration corridors which pass through the continental United States. The refuge provides crucial and diverse habitat for wildlife seeking nourishment . . . — Map (db m88561)
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Switchboard Room / Plotting Room
Switchboard Room A central Switchboard room is where all the important communications emanated. By means of this switchboard, all base lines were made interchangeable. A distribution switchboard was installed in a switchboard room as a . . . — Map (db m22036) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The LatrinesFort Mott State Park
Two latrines were built within the parados for soldiers assigned to the gun batterys. The bathrooms each had several toilets for enlisted men, a private stall for officers and a large cast-iron urinal. Toilets were similar to our modern . . . — Map (db m22021) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The Moat and the ParadosFort Mott State Park
The parados (Spanish for rear door) is the earthen hill adjacent to the gun battery. It serve as a shield against gunfire from the rear. Construction of the moat and parados at Fort Mott began in 1897 and took over two years to complete.

The . . . — Map (db m88582) WM

New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The Wharf
The construction of a fortification the size of Fort Mott required the delivery of a large amount of materials and equipment. The river provided an excellent “highway” and the government constructed a wharf to receive the construction . . . — Map (db m22022) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Two Batteries in one
Battery Harker and Battery Arnold share the continuous 750 foot long parapet wall. Battery Harker (right) contains three 10-inch gun emplacements and Battery Arnold (left) has three 12-inch gun emplacements. A protective earthwork, the parados, was . . . — Map (db m21749) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Union Monument
Near this stone lie the remains of 105 United States soldiers whose names so far as known are hereon inscribed, but whose graves cannot be identified. They died for their country. — Map (db m21656) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Welcome (to Fort Mott)
Fort Mott is an Endicott-era fortification (ca. 1896) that was begun prior to the Spanish-American War. Construction of an earlier fortification, known as the Battery at Finns Point, was begun in 1872 but never completed. Components of the earlier . . . — Map (db m21660) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Quinton — Quinton’s Bridge
On March 17, 1778, Colonial militia formed a line of defense on the south bank of Alloways Creek. The British, having occupied Salem, attacked the next day and by a ruse drew the Colonials across the creek into a(n) ambush. Seven Colonials died in . . . — Map (db m88443) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Esther “Hetty” SaundersWomen’s Heritage Trail
Esther “Hetty” Saunders was a remarkable woman of color who began her life in the early 1790s as a slave in Delaware. In 1800, her father saw an opportunity to escape to freedom with his children, crossing the Delaware River into . . . — Map (db m36431) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Fenwick Building
1891 Built as Ford's Hotel. 1919 Converted to Salem County Memorial Hospital in memoriam to WWI soldiers and sailors. Opened with 30 beds, 12 physicians and surgeons. First year 1093 patients treated. 1951 Hospital vacated building relocating to . . . — Map (db m88554) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — First Presbyterian Church of Salem1856
Top panel New Jersey Register of Historic Places 1974; National Register of Historic Places 1975; Significant for its Romanesque and Gothic ecclesiastical architecture, its steeple structural design and for being a work of architect John . . . — Map (db m88543) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Friends Burial GroundA.D. 1676
This oak tree, a survivor of the original forest, was standing here when Salem was founded by John Fenwick in 1675. It is eighty-eight feet high and its foliage covers one-quarter of an acre. “This tablet was erected on October 10th, 1925, . . . — Map (db m21659) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — New Johnson Hall
Built in 1806, was the residence of Col. Robert Gibbon Johnson, historian, agriculturist and champion of "New Jersey tomatoes." — Map (db m88491) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Old Courthouse
1692 First Courthouse probably of logs. 1706 Earliest Court minutes known. 1735 Second Courthouse built facing Market Street. 1817 Courthouse expanded for $772,582. 1819 Election defeated moving County seat. 1908 Main entrance added facing Broadway — Map (db m88558) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Salem County Historical Society Museum and LibraryC 1700-1800
The handsome pattern brickwork of this house is typical of the 18th century Salem County architecture. In addition to serving as a residence, these buildings once housed a temperance hotel and medical offices. John S. Rock, the first . . . — Map (db m88552) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Salem County Office Building
1798 Small brick building for County Clerk. 1804 Surrogate's addition built on northeast side. 1850 Design for new building by Philadelphia architect Gordon Parker Cummings. 1853 County Clerk & Surrogate building completion 36 x 48 Evidence of two . . . — Map (db m88556) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Salem Oak Tree
Most famous New Jersey tree stands in cemetery. By tradition, John Fenwick made his treaty with the Indians in its shade, 1675. — Map (db m21607) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Salem — Underground Railroad Station47 Market Street
From 1836 through the Civil War, this house was a beacon to enslaved African Americans escaping north. Here abolitionists Abigail and Elizabeth Good provided funds and supplies to the runaways for their journey to Freedom. — Map (db m88544) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Upper Pittsgrove — Pole Tavern Cannon
The Cannon Il Lugano which was forged in Naples in 1763 weighs 800 Pounds. Il Lugano was used in battle against the Austrians. Napoleon who visited Italy once in 1796 and again in 1800 dragged the cannon over the Alps and Eventually back to France. . . . — Map (db m58280) HM

53 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.