Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Sampson County North Carolina Historical Markers
By Brandon Burton, July 18, 2014
Gabriel Holmes Marker
Governor, 1821-1824; Congressman. His son, Theophilus H. Holmes, a Confederate General. Home stood 2 mi. SE. — — Map (db m79851) HM
Lieut. colonel militia, member Provincial Congress, 1775, legislature, conventions 1788, 1789. This town named for him. Home was nearby. — — Map (db m114364) HM
In 1784 Richard Clinton deeded five acres to commissioners for use for the public buildings of the new county of Sampson. The community that flourished in this vicinity came to be known as Sampson Courthouse. The N.C. General Assembly in 1818 . . . — — Map (db m114363) HM
Congressman from N.C., 1811-16; Senator from Alabama for 29 years. Vice-President of the United States, 1853. Born six miles east. — — Map (db m79994) HM
Governor of Louisiana, 1860-1864; a leader of the secession movement.
His birthplace stood 4½ miles northwest. — — Map (db m114365) HM 5 markers matched your search criteria.
We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.