Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

San Joaquin County California Historical Markers

 
Athearn School Bell and Marker image, Touch for more information
By James King, January 25, 2015
Athearn School Bell and Marker
California (San Joaquin County), Clements — Athearn School Bell
Bell hung in old Athearn School from 1877 to 1939. Monument erected and dedicated by Clements 4H Club 1953 — Map (db m81692) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Clements — Lone Star Mill
First built in 1855 by Hodge and Terry. Burned in 1856 and was rebuilt on it's present site. Purchased by S.L. Magee and was operated by him for the next 25 years when it was abandoned for lack of business. Erected by Clements 4-H Club . . . — Map (db m41450) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Farmington — Farmington Odd Fellows Lodge #296
Built in 1881, the building was bought by the newly instituted Lodge on July 11, 1882. The upstairs has served continuously as a meeting hall since then. Dedicated on October 8, 1994 Tuleburgh Chapter #69, E Clampus Vitus — Map (db m16623) HM
California (San Joaquin County), French Camp — 668 — French Camp
Here was the terminus of the Oregon-California Trail used by the French-Canadian trappers employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company from about 1832 to 1845. Michel La Framboise, among others, met fur trappers here annually where they camped with their . . . — Map (db m15957) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — Lathrop
Called Wilson’s Station From 1849 until 1869 Was given the name by Leland Stanford when he moved his Central Pacific Railroad terminal here and dedicated the town to his wife’s family. In 1886, after a dispute with local citizens, Stanford . . . — Map (db m20006) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — 780-7 — Site of Completion of Pacific RailroadFirst Transcontinental Railroad
The construction of the San Joaquin River Bridge completed the last link of the Transcontinental Railroad. Building had simultaneously proceeded from the Bay Area and Sacramento and met at the San Joaquin River. The first train crossed the bridge on . . . — Map (db m11380) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — 437 — The Comet – 1846 – First Sail Launch
First known sail launch to ascend San Joaquin River from San Francisco landed here autumn 1846. Carried 20 Mormon pioneers who founded New Hope agricultural project on the Stanislaus. Yoke of oxen and span of mules driven from Marsh’s Landing . . . — Map (db m11385) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lockeford — Harmony Grove Church
First and oldest Protestant house in northern San Joaquin County. Built in 1859 on land donated by Donald J. Staples. Constructed of bricks given by Dr. D.J. Locke, founder of Lockeford and Mr. James Tallmadge, a builder and brick mason. Built by . . . — Map (db m41406) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lockeford — Pioneer Hill / Lockeford
Pioneer Hill It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin of this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the . . . — Map (db m11238) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — City Hall, Fire House and Jail
First Lodi owned city hall & fire house built 1912, cost $3995. Board of Trustees Geo. E. Lawrence, President J.M. Blodgett, C.A. Rich, F.O. Hale & C.A. Black Site of Lodi's jail, Water Tank & Electric Company (Cary Bros. . . . — Map (db m41399) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Hale Park
Lodi's first park, 1876, called Wardrobe Grove Later named for Frank Hale, our 2nd mayor Municipal baths with hot artesian well, 1916 Petrified tree from San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada rail bed near Valley Springs, 1920 The bandstand . . . — Map (db m41476) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Hotel Lodi
Grand opening, May 1, 1915 James Whitaker, owner of first Lodi Hotel, (1870) 1912 E.B. Brown drew plans for a new hotel Excavation and preliminary work by Cary Bros. 1914 Property sold to Lodi Investment Co. W.H. Thompson, Pres. Mr. . . . — Map (db m41521) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Laura de Force Gordon1838 - 1907
A famous womens' rights activist, she began speaking on behalf of womens' rights in 1868. Laura ran for the California State Senate in 1871, long before women could vote. In 1873 she bought the first of several newspapers which she used as a forum . . . — Map (db m91788) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — CHL-931 — Lodi Arch
Designed by architect E.B. Brown and built in 1907 for the Lodi Tokay Carnival, the Arch served as an entrance into Lodi and a symbol of agricultural and commercial growth. Essentially unaltered since construction, the structure is one of few . . . — Map (db m113270) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Lodi Mission Arch1907 - 1956
Built 1907 during the first Tokay Carnival by the public spirited people of Lodi. Rebuilt 1956 during the term of Mayor Willard J Robinson through the efforts of Tokay Arch Committee headed by Albert Nies, chairman. and Eunice Looser, secretary . . . — Map (db m113030) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Old Lodi (Mokelumne Station)
Sacramento Street from Oak to Elm Streets comprised the business and social center from 1869 - 1919. A C.P.R.R. Co. Depot in Central Mokelumne was built in 1868. S.P.R.R. located a new depot 1/2 block north in 1907. CENTRAL CALIFORNIA . . . — Map (db m113029) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Salem School Bell
Salem School Bell 1883 – 1938 from Lodi’s first school Located at Lodi Ave. and Stockton St. — Map (db m15989) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — The First A&W Root Beer
On this site One hot day in June of 1919 Roy Allen served the first frosty mug of creamy A&W Root Beer in Lodi, California Dedicated to the City of Lodi, this 14th day of July, 2001 — Map (db m41492) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Woman's Club of Lodi
On May 20, 1988 this unique 1923 Roman style building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In celebration we honor those women of vision who in 1906 started this club, first known as the Lodi Improvement Club. Their efforts . . . — Map (db m91787) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Manteca — Liberty Plot
Dedicated to the boys Who Fought Overseas — In 1917 — — Map (db m19532) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Ripon — 436 — New Hope – 1846First Wheat
Approximately six miles west, 20 Mormon pioneers from ship Brooklyn founded first known agricultural colony in San Joaquin Valley. Planting first wheat; also crops they irrigated by the pole and bucket method. Erected three log houses, operated . . . — Map (db m19516) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Ripon — Ripon World War II Memorial
In Honor of Ripon High School Students KIA World War II Radomir Kilak • Henry Bouma • Raymond Clifton • Lyman Fulton • Billy Haller • Jack Harp • John Kamps • Paul Madsen • Oscar Poelstra • Carl Peterson • Viggo Peterson • John Smit • John Van . . . — Map (db m19522) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 35 — B & M Building1860’s and 1870
This building, situated near the head of the Stockton Channel evokes memories of early commerce when Stockton served as the main supply depot for the southern mines. Bearing remnants of Italienate Style, the structure is rich with history dating . . . — Map (db m23995) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 4 — Banner Island Historic Site
On this site: Civil War victories were celebrated by flying "Old Glory" on Charles Weber's 120 foot flag pole; in a 2,000 seat baseball stadium, Stockton became the 1888 California League champion; Coxey's Army camped in 1893; and delta reclamation . . . — Map (db m82587) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 25 — California Building1917
Built originally for the former Farmers & Merchants Bank, this structure is the work of prominent San Francisco Architect George W. Kelham. With almost no exterior changes it exemplifies Renaissance Revival Style and reflects early local interest in . . . — Map (db m23978) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Charles Weber and the Founding of StocktonWeber Point
Arriving in California with the Bidwell Party in 1841, Charles Weber could not have anticipated the monumental changes that were to come to this region after the Gold Rush. Originally a native of Germany, Weber was an immigrant to California . . . — Map (db m24219) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Chinese 1976 Bicentennial Monument
The Chinese community of Stockton dedicates this monument to the city of Stockton to commemorate the bicentennial year of 1976, in memory of the contributions which the Chinese have made to Stockton. The ingenuity of the Chinese . . . — Map (db m103083) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 36 — Commercial and Savings Bank1915 and 1924
This ten-story Renaissance Revival Building was constructed in 1915 to house the Commercial and Savings Bank founded in 1903 by John Raggio. After a fire, the north portion was added in 1924. The property was purchased in 1929 by the Bank of Italy, . . . — Map (db m23984) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 18 — Edward B. Conde Home1893
This is the former residence of popular band leader Edward B. Conde, editorialized as the “John Philip Souza of Stockton”. Conde brought distinction to this city with his much acclaimed musical organizations. He formed the famed Stockton . . . — Map (db m24178) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Firefighters Memorial
“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for another.” John 15:13 This memorial is dedicated to honor all Stockton firefighters that gave their lives in the line of duty. — Map (db m15970) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Goddess of Justice
The Goddess of Justice crowned the dome of the second courthouse constructed upon this site in 1888 By order of the Board of Supervisors. The statue has been restored by county employees and caused to be erected on this pedestal . . . — Map (db m23992) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Hand Hall
This building is dedicated to the memory of Clifford J. Hand Devoted teacher, administrator and friend whose many contributions to the progress of the University of the Pacific enriched the lives of the students, faculty and colleagues during . . . — Map (db m103027) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Head of Navigation
For the Stockton Channel in 1849 was at El Dorado Street. Sailing ships and paddlewheel steamboats made the Stockton Levees a major supply center for the Southern mines during the Gold Rush. In 1933, the Port of Stockton became California’s first . . . — Map (db m57987) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 513 — John Brown(California’s Paul Revere)
In 1846, during American conquest of California, John Brown, nicknamed “Juan Flaco,” rode from Los Angeles to San Francisco in four days to warn Commodore Stockton of the siege of Los Angeles. As a result, troops were sent and the city . . . — Map (db m16011) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — José Maria Morelos y Pavón
En conmemoración del Bicentenario de la Independencia de México y el Centenario de la Revolución mexicana, el Gobierno de México, a través del Consulado General de México en Sacramento, con el invaluable apoyo de la Asociación Comerciantes Unidos, . . . — Map (db m103034) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 178 — Lindsay PointSite of the First Building in Stockton
In August 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut, on this site. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by travelers. The Point was . . . — Map (db m15964) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Magnolia Historic District
Stockton’s first historic district has the community’s richest variety of architectural styles, including Queen Anne, Eastlake, Stick, Bungalow, Craftsman, Moderne and Spanish Revival. Since the 1860’s the area has been home to a broad cross section . . . — Map (db m15985) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 30 — Medico-Dental BuildingSutter Office Center — 1927
Designed and built by renowned Stockton architect Frank V. Mayo, FAIA, and Howard Bissell, AIA, this is an excellent example of a commercial Gothic Style skyscraper. The steel-framed structure features a terraced façade typical of eastern urban . . . — Map (db m49458) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 22 — Moses Rogers Home1890
One of California’s leading Black citizens build and resided in this home with his wife, Sara, and five daughters until his death in 1900. Born a slave in Missouri, he participated in the California Gold Rush and earned a statewide reputation as a . . . — Map (db m23973) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway
Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway This outstanding civic leader rejected the prospect that Stockton would settle for a ”freeway to nowhere.” He organized the FOCUS (Finish Our Crosstown-Unite Stockton) committee and motivated our . . . — Map (db m103087) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Remember Pearl Harbor
. . . — Map (db m15968) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 6 — Saint John’s Episcopal Church and Guild Hall
The guild hall of this church is an outstanding example of Nordic Architecture: It was completed in 1889 at a cost of $9,200. The adjacent church was erected for $10,000 and the first service was held December 18, 1892. Saint John’s and all older . . . — Map (db m23972) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 1 — Saint Mary’s Catholic Church1861
California’s first Archbishop, Joseph S. Alemany, laid the cornerstone July 21, 1861. The first mass was celebrated Christmas Eve of the same year. In 1870 the transept was added. The present steeple and ornate façade date from 1893. Saint Mary’s is . . . — Map (db m23976) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 3 — Sperry Flour Mill Office1888
This structure once housed the general business offices of the second largest flour milling operation in California. An addition to this building, matching the original Victorian Commercial architecture, was completed in 1917. Sperry & Company was . . . — Map (db m24207) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 934 — Stockton Assembly Center
Here, within the confines of San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, enclosed by barbed wire and housed in temporary barracks, 4,217 San Joaquin County residents of Japanese ancestry, predominately American citizens, were interned from May 10 to October 17, . . . — Map (db m15958) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 34 — Stockton City Hall
Built in the spirit of the “City Beautiful” movement, the Stockton City Hall provides an outstanding example of 1920’s construction techniques and design. The building’s Renaissance Revival Style was determined by a collaboration of . . . — Map (db m15966) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 1016 — Stockton Developmental Center
The Stockton Developmental Center was established in 1853 as the Insane Asylum of California, the first of several state asylums. Stockton’s founder, Charles M. Weber, donated half of the 100 acre site. It was one of the first facilities of its kind . . . — Map (db m15987) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Jewish Community Center
Jewish Community Center 1926 Stockton’s “Architect Laureate” Glen Allen designed this culturally important edifice. Built by Louis S. Peletz, it served the Stockton Jewish community and Temple Israel until 1964 when purchased by the . . . — Map (db m103028) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 45 — Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium1924 – 1925
The Classic Revival Style building by local Architects Glenn Allen, Ivan C. Satterlee and W. J. Wright features sculptured panels over the seven front entrances. A California marble floor and an art glass skylight, in the center of the flat dome. . . . — Map (db m24002) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 21 — Stockton Savings and Loan Society Bank(Now Bank of Stockton) — 1908
This classical Revival Style building was the first “skyscraper” in Stockton. It was designed by San Francisco Architects Myers & Ward. California’s oldest men’s club, The Yosemite, founded 1888, has always occupied the top floors. The . . . — Map (db m23983) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Veterans Monument
WW I Gulf War 1990 to 1995 Dedicated To All Veterans By Veterans Luneta VFW Post 52 WW II Dedicated To The Veterans Of America Juky 5, 1981 Karl Ross Post 16 American Legion Korea . . . — Map (db m103033) WM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Vietnam War Memorial
This monument represents in a small way our appreciation of the contributions to freedom which brave men are called upon to make. In recognition of their sacrifice, we reaffirm our community to the goals and ideals which they sought. In . . . — Map (db m23999) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Stockton Women Veterans Tree
With Eternal Gratitude This Beautiful Sequoia Tree Is Dedicated to Honor All The Women of Stockton And San Joaquin County Who Have So Admirably Served In The Armed Forces of The United States of America June, 1996 Stockton Women . . . — Map (db m103084) WM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 765 — Temple Israel Cemetery
This hallowed ground was donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains. — Map (db m15960) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — The Compass Rose
Stockton was built on land granted by the Mexican government on January 13, 1842, to German-born Charles M. Weber and his business partner and Mexican citizen, William Gulnac. Weber later became sole owner of the land, permanently settling here two . . . — Map (db m24233) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — The Sister City Story
Sister city affiliations between the United States and other nations began shortly after World War II, and developed into a national initiative when President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed the “people-to-people” program at a White House . . . — Map (db m24224) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 801 — The Soldiers Friend
Ruel C. Gridley Born Jan. 23, 1829 Died Nov. 24, 1870 ------------------------- Erected by RAWLINS POST No. 23 Grand Army of the Republic and the Citizens of Stockton Sept. 19, 1887 in gratitude for services rendered Union Soldiers during . . . — Map (db m15974) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — We Shall Never Forget“September 11, 2001”
Americans heal, not by forgetting, but by remembering. It is with this in mind that we dedicate this Memorial City of Stockton September 11, 2007 — Map (db m15969) WM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 165 — Weber Point
Site of a two-story adobe and redwood home built by Charles M. Weber, founder and pioneer developer of Stockton. One of the first elaborate residences and landscaped garden in the San Joaquin Valley. Completed in 1850, it remained Captain Weber’s . . . — Map (db m15961) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 13 — Weber Point Home – 1850
The residence of Captain Charles M. Weber, who founded Stockton in 1849, was located 450 feet west of this monument. The tower was often used by Weber to watch riverboats navigating the San Joaquin River and Stockton Channel. In 1917 the house was . . . — Map (db m15962) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 5 — Weber Primary School
This school building was named after Capt. Charles M. Weber, founder of Stockton, who donated land for many early schools. Construction cost $12,888. May 12, 1873 was dedication day and classes have continued to date. The red brick architecture is . . . — Map (db m24100) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — World War II Memorial
MEMORIAL Dedicated to all men and women of Stockton, many of whom paid the ultimate sacrifice, who served their country overseas and on the home front during World War II, December 1941 through September 1945. May their devotion to duty and . . . — Map (db m15973) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Tracy — 740 — Carnegie
A city of 3500 population, from 1895-1912, and the site of the Carnegie Brick and Pottery Company, served by the Alameda and San Joaquin Railroad. The plant had 45 kilns and 13 tall smokestacks, and the town had a post office, company store, hotels, . . . — Map (db m25220) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Woodbridge — 520 — San Joaquin Valley College
Built through subscription by the residents of Woodbridge and dedicated as Woodbridge Seminary in 1879 by the United Brethren Church, this was the site of San Joaquin Valley College from 1882 to 1897. It was then used as Woods Grammar School until . . . — Map (db m15990) HM

64 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.