Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sanpete County Utah Historical Markers

 
Settlement of Axtell Marker and Bell image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 14, 2014
Settlement of Axtell Marker and Bell
Utah (Sanpete County), Axtell — 551 — Settlement of Axtell
Axtell, originally called Willow Creek, is a wide-spread, productive farming community located on the boundary of Sanpete and Sevier Counties. It is a living monument to the rugged characteristics of the pioneers who came to this valley. Axtell was . . . — Map (db m74902) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Birdseye — Birdseye Marble Quarry — Heartbeat of the Canyon
Looking east to the red ledges you can see the quarry, originally operated by the Mormon Church and others in the 1880's to the 1940's as the Nebo Rock Works, Thistle Rock Works and Birdseye Marble Quarry.

The stone polishes to a high degree and . . . — Map (db m101133) HM

Utah (Sanpete County), Centerfield — 428 — Centerfield
Gunnison settlers began farming the land to the south in the early 1860's, each claiming his acreage under "Squatter's Rights" and later paying a filing fee of $1.25. Water was obtained from the Sanpitch River and fresh mountain springs. By 1877 . . . — Map (db m74903) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Centerfield — 198 — First Public Buildings
In the Early 80's Centerfield was known as "The Field" or "South Gunnison". The thirty families living there erected a public building in 1882 made of red pine logs with a slab roof covered with clay. A stone fireplace furnished the heat while the . . . — Map (db m74905) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — N-191 — Canute Peterson House
Constructed of local brick and stone in 1869 by Canute Peterson and his eldest son, Peter, this house (as well as the two homes just north built for his other two wives) is significant as one of Ephraim's oldest pioneer homes and as the home of one . . . — Map (db m74994) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — N-770 — Ephraim Carnegie Library
Built in 1914-1915, the Ephraim Carnegie Library is one of 23 Carnegie Libraries in Utah and one of over 1650 library buildings in the United States that were founded by millionaire/philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie donated the entire cost of . . . — Map (db m74993) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — Ephraim Co-op Building
Constructed in 1871-72 of local oolitic limestone, this Greek Revival style building is one of the remaining examples of the more than 120 cooperative mercantiles that were established by the LDS church between 1868 and 1878. The first floor was a . . . — Map (db m74997) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 483 — Ephraim Pioneer Cemetery
In 1854, Ephraim's first settlers erected a one and one half acre stone fort for housing and protection against Indian attacks. A cemetery was not included in their plans. The first pioneer to die was Mr. Manwaring. Permission had been granted to . . . — Map (db m75027) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 495 — Ephraim Relief Society Granary
President Brigham Young, in 1876, gave the Relief Society sisters an assignment to store wheat for a time of need. This historic, oolite limestone building was constructed as a granary in response to this concept. Pioneer women and children followed . . . — Map (db m74995) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 384 — Ephraim Settlement
In 1852 Isaac Behunin and family came to Pine Creek. By 1854 seventy-seven families had arrived. Branch L.D.S. Church organized, Rueben W. Allred was presiding elder. Reddick N. Allred captain of militia. Ft. Ephraim incorporated as a city 1868, . . . — Map (db m75022) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — Fort Ephraim — 1854
There were two forts on this site in 1854-55. The settlers referred to the first structure as Little Fort. Mormon pioneers sent men from other Central Utah settlements on February 7, 1854 to start work on the small fort that would cover about . . . — Map (db m75025) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 423 — Fort Ephraim Peace Treaty
The Indian War years of 1865-72 brought bitter hardships to Sanpete and other central Utah areas. Different bands of Indians stealthily attacked settlers from their mountain hideouts, then fled to safety. Twenty-seven settlements were evacuated; two . . . — Map (db m74999) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 144 — Indian Massacre
Near this spot on Tuesday, October 17, 1865, Black Hawk, a Ute chief, led his warriors out of Cottonwood Canyon foraging for cattle. They stole the entire Ephraim herd. Settlers who were working in the fields were massacred and lie buried in one . . . — Map (db m74951) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — N-866 — John Dorius, Jr., House and Barn
This fine Queen Anne style house was constructed in 1897 for John Dorius, Jr., a prominent local businessman. The son of a Danish immigrant farmer, John Dorius pieced together a successful career in farming, freighting, and merchandising in Ephraim . . . — Map (db m75000) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — N-972 — Snow Academy Building — (Noyes Building)
Constructed between 1889 and 1908, this building was the first permanent home of Snow Academy which in 1923 became Snow College. The school was founded in 1888 as the Sanpete Stake Academy and was one of the eleven academies established by the . . . — Map (db m75024) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Ephraim — 201 — The Old Fort
Near this spot February 7, 1854, twenty-five men organized in military order, began the construction of a small fort for protection from the Indians. The walls, made of rock were seven feet high, almost two feet thick, and formed the outer wall of . . . — Map (db m74998) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fairview — 523 — Fairview Pioneer Cemetery
This sacred plot, laid out by Joseph Gaston Garlick, was first used in 1860. Three small children, Maria Terry, Henry Weeks Sanderson, Jr., and Lucy Jones were the first buried here. Later, John Givens, his wife, Eliza, and their son and three small . . . — Map (db m75061) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fairview — Mill Stones
“These are the Mill Stones from the first grist mill in this area”. It was built in 1868 by Elam Cheney Sr., a pioneer of 1847. At the request of President Brigham Young he quarried & shaped the stones & moved them & his family to . . . — Map (db m75062) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fairview — Settlement of Fairview
In 1859, a small group from Mt. Pleasant laid out a townsite here called North Bend. Later the name was changed to Fairview. During the winter rock was quarried and hauled to build a fort, and in 1860 walls of three sides were finished; the other . . . — Map (db m75063) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fayette — 409 — Warm Creek-Fayette
In 1861 Joseph Bartholomew, James Mellor and others settled here and diverted the warm creek for irrigation purposes. A branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in 1862 with Branch Young as President. The name of the . . . — Map (db m74909) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fayette — ZCMI Co-op Building — 1890s-1960
Official outlet of ZCMI (Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution), "America's First Department Store". This building housed the Fayette Merc. from circa 1890s to 1986. Until 1960 it was part of the ZCMI co-operative system which served more than . . . — Map (db m74910) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fountain Green — 394 — Fountain Green
After Albert Petty surveyed this site in 1859, pioneers came, built homes, erected a meeting house of logs cut by William Gibson and Asbury Parks. In 1861, Bishop Robert L. Johnson opened first store and hotel. Polly Johnson was first Relief Society . . . — Map (db m75193) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fountain Green — Lewis Lund
This monument replaces one previously erected north of town near the site of this historical event. Over the years the original marker was weather-eroded and vandalized. Lewis Lund an eighteen year-old herdsman, along with Jasper Robertson, Swen . . . — Map (db m75191) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Fountain Green — 172 — Uinta Springs Settlement
This location, later called Fountain Green, was a favorite camping place for travelers. Sept. 30, 1853, James Nelson, Wm. Luke, Wm. Reed and Thos. Clark, while camping here with their ox teams, were killed by Indians. Under direction of Brigham . . . — Map (db m75228) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Gunnison — Casino / Star Theatre
The Casino Theatre, constructed in 1912, is historically significant as the best example of “high style” architecture in Gunnison and as the first and only theatre constructed in the town. A two-story rectangular building with its narrow . . . — Map (db m74906) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Gunnison — 110 — Gunnison
Gunnison was settled in 1859. As a precinct it was granted weekly U.S. Mail service in 1862. The Black Hawk War began in 1865. In 1867 a bastion was erected 362 feet southeast of here. It was used by Colonel Byron Pace and 1500 militia men to . . . — Map (db m74907) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — Big Fort — Erected 1854 — by Mormon Pioneers
Third fort built in Manti Location: 9 blocks in center of city Marker Location Construction: Rock, adobe, and mud-filled wood frame Walls: 12' high, 3' wide at base, 2' wide at top Protection of settlers livestock From Indian . . . — Map (db m74944) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — N-449 — Cox-Shoemaker-Parry House
This house, built about 1858, is a significant example of one of the traditional building designs found in early Utah vernacular architecture. Three of Manti's most prominent families lived here. Orville Southerland Cox, the builder, was a leading . . . — Map (db m74946) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — N-150 — John Patten House
This house has two markers John Patten House The John Patten House was constructed c.1854 of limestone. John Patten came to Utah in 1850 and settled in Manti. He was active in community affairs serving as a representative to the . . . — Map (db m74950) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — L.R. & Clara Anderson House
This Victorian Eclectic and Queen Anne style house remains as one of the most distinctive architectural landmarks of Manti. The house, which initially consisted of only two rooms, was begun in 1896 by Lewis R. (L.R.) Anderson. After he returned from . . . — Map (db m74921) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — Log Fort — Erected 1853 — by Mormon Pioneers
. . . — Map (db m74948) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — N-771 — Manti Carnegie Library
Built in 1910-11, the Manti Carnegie Library is one of 23 Carnegie Libraries in Utah and one of over 1650 library buildings in the United States that were built by millionaire/philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie donated the entire cost of the . . . — Map (db m74945) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — N-894 — Manti City Hall
November 3, 1873, the Manti City Council under Mayor A. W. Bessey, "Motioned and carried that work on the City Hall be commenced without delay," and May 1, 1882, "The council tendered a vote of thanks to the building committees for their energetic . . . — Map (db m74947) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — 146 — Pioneer Memorial Cabin
This pioneer cabin, one of the first erected in Manti, was built inside the log fort, about 1853 by Nathaniel S. Beach. He later moved it to 104 West 2nd North where it was purchased by William and Johannah Richey, as a home for their family. At one . . . — Map (db m74949) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — Sesquicentennial 1849 – 1999
This monument and replica pioneer dugout honor the founders of Manti City and Sanpete County. At the invitation of Wakara, Chief of the Ute Indian Nation, the Prophet Brigham Young sent Isaac Morley with 224 pioneers to make the Sanpitch Valley . . . — Map (db m74952) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — N-295 — The First Presbyterian Church of Manti
This mission church and school constructed in 1881 of native oolite limestone in the Greek Revival style was designed by architect Peter Van Houghton of Salt Lake City. The church was constructed under the supervision of Reverend G.W. Martin who . . . — Map (db m74922) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — 32 — The Manti Pioneers
Under direction of Bishop Isaac Morley 224 pioneers arrived in this vicinity Nov. 22, 1849. In response to an invitation from Indian Chief Walker to President Brigham Young. Their first homes were dugouts in the south side of Temple Hill. That . . . — Map (db m44489) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Manti — The Manti Temple
On April 25 1877, the pioneer colonizers of Manti -- the fourth community established in Utah -- began taking form the south side of this hill the oolite stone from which to build their temple. The third of these sacred edifices erected in Utah, it . . . — Map (db m44485) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Moroni — 161 — Moroni Fort and Bastion
Erected in 1865 on order of General D.H. Wells to protect the settlers during the Black Hawk War. The fort covered the present City Hall Block and westward with 12 ft. rock walls supporting cabins along the inside. The bastion stood on the Lincoln . . . — Map (db m75190) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Moroni — ZCMI Building — 1902 - 1932
Official outlet of ZCMI (Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution), "America's First Department Store". This building housed the "Consolidated Mercantile" from 1902 to 1932. It was part of the ZCMI co-operative system servicing more than 150 . . . — Map (db m75189) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Mount Pleasant — 337 — Last Peace Treaty
On Sept. 7, 1872, the final peace treaty of the Utah Black Hawk Indian War was signed at the home of Bishop Seeley by General Henry A. Morrow, Orson Hyde, Amasa Tucker, Fredrick Olson, Reddick Allred and William S. Seeley. Representing the Indians . . . — Map (db m75172) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Mount Pleasant — 457 — Mt. Pleasant Fort
Mt. Pleasant, a small town nestled at the foot of the mountains in Sanpete County near the geographic center of Utah, was settled early in 1859. During June the men kept busy tending their crops and building a fort, twenty-six rods by twenty-six . . . — Map (db m75169) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Mount Pleasant — Pioneer Monument
This monument has markers on four sides Front Plate: Erected in Honor of the Pioneers of 1859 by the descedants of the Pioneers, whose names are inscribed upon this Monument. Unveiled July 6, 1909. Right Plate: . . . — Map (db m75170) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Mount Pleasant — The Liberal Hall
The Mount Pleasant "Liberal" Club was an organization whose members were usually former Mormons. They built this hall in 1875 as a meeting place and social center. It was here that the Presbyterian minister and educator, the Reverend Dr. Duncan J. . . . — Map (db m75171) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Mount Pleasant — William Stuart Seeley House
Built c, 1861, this house is significant as the reported site of the signing, in September 1872, of the final peace treaty that ended the Black Hawk War between Mormon settlers and Indians in the area. William S. Seeley was prominent in the . . . — Map (db m75173) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — City Hall — Spring City Historic District
Local carpenters and stonemasons constructed this building in 1893 to serve as a civic meeting hall. It was also used as a schoolhouse until the big school was opened in 1900. the simple forms, symmetrical facade, and Greek revival style cornice are . . . — Map (db m75056) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Lyceum Theater — Spring City Historic District
The Lyceum Theater, later known as Victory Hall, was constructed in 1915 by John Baxter. The theater was used for school productions, plays, and convocations through the 1940s. Later the theater served as an LDS cultural and recreation center. — Map (db m75053) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Mary Ann Allred House — Spring City Historic District
This one-and-one-half-story brick cross-wing house was built in 1909, replacing a two-room adobe cabin belonging to Louis Lund. It was built for Mary Ann Allred, one of three wives of James Anderson Allred. Mary came to Utah in 1855 at the age of . . . — Map (db m75045) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Niels H. Borresen House — Spring City Historic District
The Niels H. Borresen House, one of the oldest stone houses in Spring City, was constructed about 1864. The stone walls of this hall-parlor house are two feet thick. Born in Denmark, Niels converted to the LDS church in in his native country in . . . — Map (db m75043) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Old Firehouse — Spring City Historic District
This wood frame, false front commercial building was built at the turn of the twentieth century. "Drummers," or traveling salesmen, used the building to display their goods to local merchants. Later it served the town as the firehouse and may have . . . — Map (db m75055) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Rasmus Justesen House — Spring City Historic District
Rasmus Justesen was a sheepman and polygamist who built this 1-1/2 story stucco-over-adobe house for his first wife, Sarah Shepherd and her family. In addition to his sheep business, Rasmus fought in the Black Hawk Indian War, sat on the Spring City . . . — Map (db m75048) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Sandstrom's Pool and Dance Hall — Spring City Historic District
William Sandstrom built this two-story frame and adobe commercial building in 1911. The first floor operated as a pool hall with a dance hall above. Later in the century, it was operated as a grocery store. It also served as the post office and, . . . — Map (db m75054) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — 158 — Spring City
This spring was long used by Indians and early scouts as a camp site. James Allred, directed by Brigham Young on March 22, 1852 led his sons and their families here to build their homes. In 1853 a large colony of Scandinavian emigrants joined them. . . . — Map (db m75059) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — Spring City Confectionery — Spring City Historic District
This small, brick one-part commercial block was built by John R. Baxter in 1915 and at first operated as a confectionery in conjunction with the theater. It served as a confectionery for over 63 years, selling penny candy and operating as an ice . . . — Map (db m75052) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — 405 — Spring Town
In 1859, this area was resettled permanently by families of James Allred, Wm. Black, James Ellis, a large Danish colony of gifted craftsmen and stonemasons, and others. They surveyed the land, raised abundant crops, and became known as the . . . — Map (db m75044) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Spring City — William Ford House — Spring City Historic District
William A. Ford, a blacksmith, built this frame and adobe house with clapboard siding about 1880. The house is a hall-parlor plan with a rear addition. Ford's blacksmith shop was located west of the house. The house was sold to Edward Sahlberg about . . . — Map (db m75050) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Sterling — 176 — Funk's Lake
In 1873, Daniel B. Funk purchased the winter camp grounds of the Sanpitch Indians situated in Arropeen Valley, one mile east of Sterling, Utah. With the help of President Brigham Young, he obtained from Chief Arropeen a deed to the valley. Here he . . . — Map (db m74917) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Sterling — 534 — Pettyville Pioneers
In this cemetery are the remains of many of the settlers of the town of Pettyville. In 1873, George Petty led fifteen families from the town of Manti to an area located two miles west of Sterling. They built a settlement and named it after Mr. . . . — Map (db m74920) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Sterling — 403 — Sterling
First Walker War casualty, Peter Ludvigson, was killed by Indians in 1865, three miles south of Sterling. Wm. D. and Daniel B. Funk located on Six-Mile Creek in 1872; dug irrigation ditches for farming. Families came later. A Manti branch of Church . . . — Map (db m74919) HM

59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.