Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Schuylkill County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Fort Franklin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
Fort Franklin Marker
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Andreas — Fort Franklin
On West Penn Pike (PA 309).
Built in 1756 as defense from Indian attacks. Named for Benjamin Franklin, who ordered construction. It was of limited use; abandoned in 1757. The Fort stood a short distance above present highway. — Map (db m86744) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Ashland — Ashland Boys’ Association
On North Hoffman Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 61 & 54).
Widespread job loss in Pennsylvania’s anthracite region in the late 19th century led many Ashland “boys” to seek employment elsewhere. Strong attachment to the miners’ former hometown prompted formation of the A.B.A. c. 1900. Until 1976, . . . — Map (db m68475) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Ashland — Whistler Mother Painting in Bronze
On North Hoffman Blvd.
This is a reproduction in bronze of Whistlers famous painting. It honors all mothers past and present and is the only one of its kind in the country. Erected by the Ashland Boys Association and dedicated on Sept 4, 1938. Designer: Emil Siebern, . . . — Map (db m93187) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Auburn — Fort Lebanon
On Market Street (PA 895) at Fort Lebanon Road on Market Street (PA 895).
One of a line of defenses erected about 1755 to ward off Indian raids after Braddock's defeat. Called Fort William in 1758. The site is marked on the side road just below here — Map (db m86724) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Auburn — Fort Lebanon
On Fort Lebanon Road.
On this site stood Fort Lebanon built in 1755 by Colonel Jacob Morgan for the protection of early settlers against the Indians. — Map (db m86725) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Coaldale — Mary Harris "Mother" Jones
On East Water Street (US 209) at 1st Street on East Water Street (US 209).
Labor leader, worker advocate. In October 1900 she led a march of 2,000 women from McAdoo to Coaldale to aid a six - week strike called in September by the United Mine Workers of America for higher wages, recognition, and a grievance process. Many . . . — Map (db m86795) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Coaldale — No. 8 CollieryThe Company’s Showplace — 1845-1954
On East Water Street (US 209).
Mammoth Operation The No. 8 first opened in 1845. During its peak in the first half of the 1900’s, the colliery grew to a workforce of near 3,000 men. The mine consisted of 8 horizontal levels, the lowest being more that 1,200 feet below the . . . — Map (db m86797) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Frackville — Mahanoy Plane
On Gold Star Highway (Pennsylvania Route 924) 1.2 miles south of Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Critical to the Pa. anthracite industry, this inclined plane railroad transported coal from the Mahanoy Valley up the Broad Mountain to Frackville. Opened in 1862 as part of the Reading Railroad system, improvements in the early 20th century . . . — Map (db m31481) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Frackville — Veterans MemorialAmerican Legion Post 398 • Frackville, Pa.
On Oak Street at Mahanoy Street, on the left when traveling east on Oak Street.

"For God and Country we associate ourselves together"

To Honor Veterans of All Wars — Map (db m101119) WM

Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Frackville — Veterans Memorial
On Mahanoy Street north of Oak Street, on the right when traveling north.

Frackville American Legion gratefully dedicates this monument to honor all the men and women who faithfully and proudly serve our country sacrificing all to protect our country's freedom

Our Auxiliary will always support our . . . — Map (db m101120) WM

Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Grier City — War Memorial
On Grier Avenue south of Crest Street, on the left when traveling south.

Grier City

In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. To the honor of all veterans of all wars — Map (db m113708) WM

Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Hegins — Tulpehocken Path
On East Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 25) 0.1 miles east of Division Street, on the right when traveling east.
Along this ridge, between Deep and Pine Creeks, ran the Tulpehocken Path. It connected Shickellamy's capital of Shamokin, now Sunbury, with the Tulpehocken Valley. Travelled by Indian ambassadors and Christian missionaries. — Map (db m68418) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Klingerstown — Tulpehocken Path
On Pennsylvania Route 3016.
At Mahantango Gap, seen to the south, was the Double Eagle, a stopping place on the Indian path that ran from Shamokin (Sunbury) at the Forks of the Susquehanna to Weiser's on the Tulpehocken Valley, and on to Philadelphia. — Map (db m89739) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Mahanoy City — Birth of Cable Television
On Vulcan Hill Road (Pennsylvania Route 54) 1 miles west of Interstate 81, on the right when traveling west. Reported missing.
The first cable television system in Pennsylvania, believed to be the first in the United States, was established June 1948 in Mahanoy City by John Walson. This community antenna (CATV) system, operated by Mr. Walson's Service Electric Company, . . . — Map (db m67444) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Mahanoy City — Victor Schertzinger(1888-1941)
On West Centre Sreet (Pennsylvania Route 54) 0 miles west of North Locust Street, on the right when traveling west.
Violin prodigy who performed with John Philip Sousa and later became a film director and composer. He pioneered the use of original music for films, and his film “One Night of Love” won best musical score and sound recording Oscars in . . . — Map (db m67365) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Minersville — War Memorial
On Sunbury Street (Pennsylvania Route 901) at Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Sunbury Street.

Dedicated in memory of all Minersville Area Veterans who have honorably served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during times of war or national danger. — Map (db m120244) WM

Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Minersville — War Memorial Stadium
On Stadium Street east of 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.

This stadium dedicated in honor of Our Nations Heroic Dead by Minersville Post No.544 American Legion Minersville Pa. July 4th 1938Map (db m120246) WM

Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), New Philadelphia — Valley Furnace
On North Valley Street (US 209).
First furnace to use only anthracite for fuel, 1836. Built by Dr. F.W. Geissenhainer, who patented the method in 1833. Process in use continuously by the Pottsville or Pioneer Furnace, 1839 and after. — Map (db m86754) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pine Grove — Conrad Richter
On Maple Street west of Mifflin Street, on the right when traveling west.
The novelist, born in Pine Grove, wrote about American frontier life. His books include "The Town" and "The Waters of Kronos." A recipient of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award, Richter lived and worked in this house, 1950-1968. — Map (db m68399) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pine Grove — M60A3 MBTMain Battle Tank
On Rock Road.
This M60A3 Main Battle Tank (MBT) is a fully tracked, armored, combat vehicle operated by a crew of four consisting of a driver, gunner, loader, and a tank commander. The vehicle is powered by a 750 horsepower V-12 air cooled compression ignition . . . — Map (db m86712) WM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pine Grove — Tulpehocken Path
On N Tulpehocken St..
On other side of the creek, where the old road runs, the Tulpehocken Path entered the "Gaps of the Swatara." In 1743 Conrad Weiser, John Bartram, and Lewis Evans passed here for Onondaga with peace messages from Virginia to the Six Nations. — Map (db m86709) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Port Carbon — Schuylkill Canal
On Pike Street at Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on Pike Street.
The 108-mile canal from Philadelphia linked this region's anthracite coal fields with industrial markets along the U.S. east coast. In 1828 the Schuylkill Navigation Company completed the canal to Port Carbon, which was its northern terminus until . . . — Map (db m68564) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Port Carbon — Veterans of Port Carbon
On Pike Street at Pine Street on Pike Street.
To honor all veterans of Port Carbon who served their country in The Civil War, The Spanish American War, World War 1, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm. Many God Bless You. — Map (db m86760) WM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Burd Patterson(1788-1867)
On Mahantongo Street east of South 9th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Anthracite pioneer. He developed slope method for mining below water table, 1835. His Pottsville Furnace was the first successful smelter of anthracite iron, 1839-40. His home, built 1830-35, was first of the mansions to line Mahantongo St. — Map (db m68485) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Firth Dock (1828-1871)
On Weigland Boulevard (U.S. 209) 0.8 miles north of Anderson Street.
This anthracite coal transportation facility helped fuel America's Industrial Revolution in the 19th century. It was vital to the shipment of up to one-half million tons of coal annually along the Schuylkill Canal to Philadelphia and throughout the . . . — Map (db m68669) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — John O'Hara
On Mahantongo Street west of South 6th Street.
This was the home, from 1916 to 1928, of one of America's best known novelists and short-story writers. Born at Pottsville in 1905, he used this anthracite region as a setting for several of his major works. O'Hara died at Princeton, N.J., in 1970. — Map (db m68422) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Molly Maguire Executions
On Sanderson Street west of North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west.
On June 21, 1877, six "Molly Maguires," an alleged secret society of Irish mine-workers, were hanged here. Pinkerton detective James McParlan’s testimony led to convictions for violent crimes against the coal industry, yet the facts of the labor, . . . — Map (db m68518) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Pottsville Maroons
On North Centre Street south of West Laurel Boulevard.
The legendary team played as a member of the National Football League here, 1925-28. In 1925 the Maroons compiled a record widely viewed as the league's best. They climaxed their season by defeating Notre Dame in a well publicized pro vs. college . . . — Map (db m68544) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Schuylkill County
On West Laurel Boulevard at North 2nd Street, on the left when traveling east on West Laurel Boulevard.
Formed March 1, 1811 out of Northampton and Berks counties. Parts of Columbia and Luzerne counties added 1818. The name honors the Schuylkill River. County seat, Pottsville, was made a borough in 1828; city in 1911. A center of the anthracite coal . . . — Map (db m68490) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Pottsville — Yuengling -America's Oldest BrewerySince 1829
On Mahantongo Street.
America’s Oldest Brewery founded by David G. Yuengling. Operated continuously on this site by the Yuengling Family since 1831. Entered on the Pennsylvania Inventory of Historic Places. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Historical . . . — Map (db m67557) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Reinerton — Les Brown(1912-2001)
On East Grand Avenue (U.S. 209) at Terry Street, on the right when traveling west on East Grand Avenue.
Born in Reinerton, Les Brown enjoyed a 70-year career in American popular music, conducting his famous "Band of Renown" and helping launch the career of Doris Day with the number one hit Sentimental Journey; long-time bandleader for Bob Hope and . . . — Map (db m10517) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Schuykill Haven — Vraj
On Manor Road.
Abode of Shree Krishna as Shrinathji in the Western World, Indian Cultural Campus — Map (db m86713) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — 1902 Anthracite Coal Strike
On East Centre Street at North Union Street, on the right when traveling east on East Centre Street.
In May 1902, 150,000 mineworkers struck for six months for higher wages, union recognition, shorter hours, and other demands. A July 30th riot of 5,000 strikers in Shenandoah led to its occupation by the PA National Guard and influenced President . . . — Map (db m67358) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — Little Lithuania, USA
On North Main Street.
A center for Lithuanian settlement since the late 1800s, Schuylkill County's population has the greatest concentration of Lithuanian ancestry in the US. The coal industry drew many of these immigrants. The local Knights of Lithuania, among the . . . — Map (db m86764) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — Pennsylvania Anthracite Miners Memorial“Dedicated to the men who worked in endless night”
On East Wahington Street at Ringtown Blvd (PA 924 on East Wahington Street.
Their coal oil lamps dimly lighted the dismal tunnels while silhouetting their blackened faces that portrayed their exhausting labors and dedication to their families from sunrise to sunset. Only God knew their fate. As you walk this brick pathway . . . — Map (db m86761) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — Six ton piece of coalPennsylvania Anthracite Miners Memorial
On East Wahington Street at Ringtown Blvd (PA 924) on East Wahington Street.
This six ton piece of coal was mined out of Morea, PA in 1935 by Bazley Coal Co. Donated to the Miners Memorial by Dan Blaschak of Blaschak Coal Co. — Map (db m86763) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — St. Michael's Church
On South Chestnut Street at West Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Chestnut Street.
Founded by Ukrainian immigrants in 1884, St. Michael's was the first church of the Greek Catholic Rite in America. Present church edifice, of the Byzantine style, was erected in 1983. — Map (db m67336) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Shenandoah — The Dorsey Brothers
On North Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 924) at East Centre Street (Pennsylvania Route 54), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
Trombonist Tommy Dorsey (1905-56) & saxophonist Jimmy Dorsey (1904-57) were key figures of the "big band" era. Born within three miles of here, both grew up and began their musical careers in Shenandoah. Until 1935 the brothers performed together. . . . — Map (db m31503) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Sheppton — Sheppton Mine Disaster and Rescue
On Schoolhouse Road 0.2 miles north of Pennsylvania Route 924.
On August 27, 1963 rescuers used a new technique to drill a borehole that successfully freed two coal miners trapped for nearly 2 weeks by a shaft cave-in 320 feet below ground. One miner was lost and the incident gained national attention and . . . — Map (db m87542) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), St. Clair — John Siney(1831-1880)
On Claude Lord Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 67) 0.3 miles north of West Russell Street (Pennsylvania Route 621).
Pioneering labor organizer and leader of the Workingmen’s Benevolent Association (WBA) of Schuylkill County, a union of anthracite mineworkers. Formed nearby in 1868, WBA had 20,000 members in 22 districts; secured state mine safety laws and the . . . — Map (db m68682) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua
On West Broad Street (U.S. 209) at North Nescopec Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street.
The Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua was built by William Donaldson in 1850 as the town’s first bank. In 1865 it became the First National Bank and moved across the street. During the 1880’s the building served as the home of Col. Henry L. Cake who let . . . — Map (db m86750) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — Little Schuylkill Railroad
On West Broad Street (U.S. 209) at Center Street (Pennsylvania Route 309) on West Broad Street.
The first railroad in the nation to haul anthracite coal by steam locomotive was built in 1829. It connected the rich coal mines of the Tamaqua area with the Schuylkill Canal at Port Clinton. The 21-mile line opened in 1831 and is still in operation . . . — Map (db m86747) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — Odd Fellows Cemetery
On West Broad Street (US 209).
The cemetery was incorporated in 1865 and contains the graves of many of Tamaqua’s most prominent citizens. The focal point of the cemetery is its Soldier’s Circle and Civil War Monument, dedicated in 1870. Tamaqua, Pennsylvania — Map (db m86753) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — The Jno. F. McGinty Brewery
On E. Broad Street just west of Patterson Street.
This large imposing building was built in 1897 as the Jno. F. McGinty Brewery, famous for their Lager Beer, XXX Porter Brown Stout and wholesale Liquors. It had a capacity of 15,000 barrels per year initially. By 1903 its capacity was increased to . . . — Map (db m86794) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — The Murder of Benjamin Yost
On West Broad Street (US 209) at South Lehigh Street on West Broad Street (US 209).
During the early morning hours of July 6, 1875, police officer Benjamin F. Yost was murdered on this corner as he climbed a ladder to extinguish the street lamp. Alleged members of the Molly Maguires were convicted of the murder and were hanged June . . . — Map (db m86752) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.