Named for S. P. McDermott, who had crossroads store and was an early postmaster. Began as a community called Dark, 1½ miles northeast. (School in area was named Bookout.) Town moved 1909 to the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad. It had a . . . — — Map (db m88822) HM
Founded 1907 by a realty firm. Named by townsite surveyor, for his native county in Virginia.
When Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad reached this point in Sept. 1909, a 3-day picnic was held. Buildings at Light, Texas, a mile east, were moved . . . — — Map (db m110833) HM
Pioneer store noted for its continuous career on original site. Founded in 1915 by D. A. Jones and John A. Stavely, with associated shareholders. Stock--freighted in by Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad--was typical "general merchandise": clothing, . . . — — Map (db m110832) HM
Established in 1899, with the granting of a post office, on land owned by D. C. McGregor. The school on "Jumbo" Ranch (in area settled in 1890s) was relocated here and Light began to grow. In 1905 a new, two-room school building was constructed.
. . . — — Map (db m110831) HM
A vital religious and social institution for early settlers, this church was founded in 1893 by The Rev. W.W. Werner as Deep Creek Congregation. Worshipers met at Jumbo Ranch Schoolhouse (1.5 mi. E) until 1902, then occupied the . . . — — Map (db m110829) HM
At a grove of mesquite and wild china trees by a creek near here, Capt. R. B. Marcy's expedition camped Oct. 7, 1849, while blazing the famous Marcy Trail. They saw nothing deadlier than quail and wild turkeys in the area, but the next day, tragedy . . . — — Map (db m111759) HM
Named for Ira Green, who had a crossroads store near this site. First homes and school were half-dugouts (cellars with windows set above ground level). Post office established 1896. On opening of block 97 to settlers, 1899, area became active farm . . . — — Map (db m111758) HM
First producing oil well in Scurry County; opened a major West Texas petroleum area. Drilled February to October 1923 by E. I. (Tommy) Thompson, W. W. Lechner and E. E. (Buddy) Fogelson of Loutex Corp., W. A. Reiter located the well. Leon English . . . — — Map (db m111757) HM
Once a spring-fed tributary of the Colorado River; heads and ends within Scurry County.
In 1870s it supplied buffalo hunters living in hide-covered half dugouts. "Pete" Snyder's trading post, which eventually grew into the county-seat town of . . . — — Map (db m110940) HM
Originally established as a trading post on Deep Creek for buffalo hunters and called "Hide Town," because of many hide tents and dugouts, the city of Snyder takes it name from W. H. (Pete) Snyder, a Dutch trader who established a store here in . . . — — Map (db m110939) HM
Composed of National Guardsmen from Scurry County, Company G originally organized and fought in France during World War I. Reorganized in 1924 and mobilized in 1940, Company G was part of the 142nd Infantry of the celebrated 36th Division . . . — — Map (db m88848) HM
First sheriff elected when the county was organized, 1884, was W. W. "Uncle Billy" Nelson. He authorized the first "Calaboose" (jail)—a frame structure only 8 x 10 x 8 feet. Uncle Billy resigned after 6 months since cowboys were an . . . — — Map (db m88839) HM
Built 1883 by a Confederate veteran and pioneer doctor, J. C. Cornelius. Materials came by mule train from railroad at Colorado City. Handmade cabinets, front entrance hall, the 2 fireplaces remain as originally built.
Since 1894 owned by . . . — — Map (db m110877) HM
A Baldwin locomotive of the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific--the railroad that reached here in 1908 with passenger and freight service, and contributed greatly to growth of city and area.
This engine (a coal burner converted later to fuel oil) was . . . — — Map (db m110878) HM
In 1909 early day druggist F. J. Grayum built this classical revival style home with Ionic-pillared porches and balconies on the front and east side. The double masonry walls and two-inch thick floors show quality workmanship with solid brass . . . — — Map (db m111714) HM
Founded in May, 1883, one year before Scurry County was organized, this pioneer institution helped pave the way for modern Baptist worship in the area. It was originally named Bledsoe Baptist Church, in honor of John S. Bledsoe, one of the founders. . . . — — Map (db m111708) HM
Organized in 1898 with eight charter member families: Messrs. and Mmes. W. T. Baze, A. D. Dodson, F. M. German, W. B. Stanfield, I. W. Wasson, A. C. Wilmeth; Mlles. Clare Dodson, Lola Morris; and Mrs. Nannie German.
First building was erected . . . — — Map (db m111754) HM
Organized July, 1883 at Brush Arbor Revival on Ennis Creek, 10 miles N.E. of Snyder.
First one-room church built on land donated by T. N. Nunn Family in 1889.
Used until 1920 when congregation could no longer be accommodated.
Then . . . — — Map (db m111483) HM
Organized June 13, 1892, as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, by The Rev. W.W. Werner, with seven charter members.
In 1906 original church body joined the Abilene Presbytery, Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.
Congregation moved from . . . — — Map (db m111488) HM
Erected 1907-08 on site where trail of U.S. Cavalry Gen. Ranald MacKenzie ran parallel to Deep Creek. Built for First State Bank & Trust Co., early day cattlemen and ranchers' bank; closed during 1931 Depression year.
Has since housed . . . — — Map (db m88846) HM
Champion hunter of buffalo—largest game animal in North America. Born in Vermont; came west at 19. Began hunting in 1870 to supply hides for market.
In partnership with his brother, John W. Mooar, in 1873 established first . . . — — Map (db m88842) HM
J. Wright Mooar was a champion hunter of buffalo, largest game animal in North America. A native of Vermont. He came west at age 19 and in 1870 began hunting to supply hides for market. In partnership with his brother, John W. Mooar, he . . . — — Map (db m88824) HM
Born in Burnet County. Served as city marshal of Snyder, 1906-1926. Brought organized law to railroad and land boom era. Also served as Special Texas Ranger. Donor of Wolf Park. Never backed down from fight; creed was "Law and Order". — — Map (db m110882) HM
Formerly state land until common usage established it as a cemetery in 1880's. Legend says first burial was an Indian. Early-day transients were often buried in unmarked graves. Tract closed to further burials, 1902. Many bodies have been moved . . . — — Map (db m110880) HM
The last major Native American warrior of the great Plains, was the son of Comanche Chief Peta Nocona and Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman kidnapped in a Comanche raid. His tribe was one of the last to come into the U.S. Reservation system. Quanah, . . . — — Map (db m111756) HM
Two-room house built in 1885 by Dr. A. O. Scarborough. Moved to present site in 1889; enlarged. Snyder's first telephone installed in house; first greenhouse (half-dugout with glass) built in yard.
Bought by R. L. McMullan in 1902; preserved . . . — — Map (db m110901) HM
Established through efforts of Gen. F. W. James, Abilene banker and developer. Winfield S. James, a son, directed construction. While the James' were founders, H.O. Wooten, originally a Vice President and for decades owner of controlling . . . — — Map (db m88852) HM
In 1909, when rail service was vital to economic growth, Scurry County had one line (the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific) but lacked connections to distant markets. Local residents backed C. W. Post of Garza County who gave $50,000 to attract the . . . — — Map (db m88836) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar
August 21, 1876 June 28, 1884
Named in honor of
General William R. Scurry
member of the last Texas Congress
A distinguished officer in the
Confederate . . . — — Map (db m110943) HM
Seat of justice for Scurry County, created 1876 and organized 1884. Local landholders--R. H. Allen, Fred Barnard, R. H. Looney, C. C. McGinnis, C. H. McGinnis, T. N. Nunn, W. H. Snyder and H. A. Travekes--donated lots in center of town for . . . — — Map (db m88850) HM
In 1911 the commissioners court of Scurry County presented plans for a new jail, since the two previous jail houses (built in 1884 and 1886) had proven insufficient for the county's needs. Land at this site was purchased with bond money, and the . . . — — Map (db m111710) HM
Petroleum discoveries in this county began in 1923, with recovery of oil in the San Andres Formation—eventually penetrated by over 2,000 shallow wells.
In late 1948, rigs drilling deeper than 6,000 feet tapped the Canyon Reef . . . — — Map (db m88825) HM
Attracted international attention by size and engineering achievements. During 1948 four widely dispersed wells penetrated the Canyon Reef Formation at depth of 6,500 feet. Soon more than 2,000 wells defined gigantic fields which contained an . . . — — Map (db m88844) HM
Stopping place for travelers in early 1900s. Rented rooms and horse stalls for two bits (25 ¢) each. Provided blacksmithing and harness repair and kept a horse, Jersey Bull, and a "Missouri Jack" (donkey) as stud animals. With right contact here, a . . . — — Map (db m110902) HM
Born in DeWitt County. Moved to Snyder in 1881 and worked on ranch as a horse trainer. Soon began "reading" medicine and started practice here in 1886.
Received M.D. degree from the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1889. During his . . . — — Map (db m88834) HM
Adventurer, Civil War veteran, whose career included mining Colorado gold, building railroads in Kansas, hauling freight and buffalo hides in Texas; opened Snyder's first trading post, 1878. Built of lumber hauled from Ft. Worth in ox-wagons . . . — — Map (db m88832) HM
Following the Civil War, the Texas frontier pushed westward, giving rise to renewed hostilities as the white man once again invaded Indian lands.
Foremost in the campaign to calm the frontier was Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie, who blazed . . . — — Map (db m88835) HM
In 1890 F. J. Grayum began the Snyder Bank, a private institution, in his drugstore on the south side of the square. Although Snyder had no railroad and goods were shipped on wagons from Colorado City (25 mi. S), W. A. Fuller, a wealthy . . . — — Map (db m88851) HM
Settled in 1879 as a rancher in northeast Scurry County. In 1884, six months after county organization, the first sheriff resigned in disgust. Faught was appointed, serving remainder of that term plus three more. As sheriff, he never wore a gun.
. . . — — Map (db m110884) HM
Notorious county land dispute arising from state practice of paying railroads in public land for trackage laid. Began in 1873 when Houston & Texas Central claimed, in error, some 300,000 acres of Block 97 which were in reserve for Texas & Pacific. . . . — — Map (db m110855) HM
Small burrowing rodent once symbolic of Old West. Estimates once placed Texas population in billions.
Prairie dogs were so named because of their quick sharp barking and wagging tails. A vegetarian mammal related to the squirrel and ground . . . — — Map (db m111755) HM
The "Scurry County Citizen", published by A. C. Wilmeth before 1887, was first of 8 different nameplates (under 39 owners) to print in Snyder. "Coming West", founded by Dick Lively, began publication in 1887, followed by the "News", "Western . . . — — Map (db m88837) HM
Dr. H. G. and Mary (Ruddick) Towle married in Colorado City in 1905, moving to Snyder to open a jewelry and optical store. The Towles bought this lot in 1908 and had this two-story brick house with full basement built in 1912. The house has colonial . . . — — Map (db m111711) HM
Pioneer cotton breeders; aides to world fiber market, economy.
Clemens Von Roeder, born 1888 in Austin County, moved 1907 to Scurry County. As farmer began use of mutations, 1923, produced a long staple, big boll cotton; later added strains to . . . — — Map (db m110853) HM
Across the street, 100 feet north of this site, is the stump of a hackberry used in early land surveys as a "witness" tree. By Texas custom (based on Spanish law), at least 2 objects were used to witness land boundaries, measured in varas, cordels, . . . — — Map (db m110904) HM