Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
90 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in St. Clair County, Illinois

 
Clickable Map of St. Clair County, Illinois and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg St. Clair County, IL (90) Clinton County, IL (3) Madison County, IL (101) Monroe County, IL (65) Randolph County, IL (11) Washington County, IL (3) St. Louis County, MO (463) St. Louis County, MO (396)  St.ClairCounty(90) St. Clair County (90)  ClintonCounty(3) Clinton County (3)  MadisonCounty(101) Madison County (101)  MonroeCounty(65) Monroe County (65)  RandolphCounty(11) Randolph County (11)  WashingtonCounty(3) Washington County (3)  St.LouisMissouri(463) St. Louis (463)  St.LouisCounty(396) St. Louis County (396)
Adjacent to St. Clair County, Illinois
    Clinton County (3)
    Madison County (101)
    Monroe County (65)
    Randolph County (11)
    Washington County (3)
    St. Louis, Missouri (463)
    St. Louis County, Missouri (396)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Belleville Public Square — Historic Site
Heart and transportation hub since founding of the city in 1814 — Map (db m152882) HM
2Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Belleville Savings Bank
When the doors opened at Belleville Savings Bank's new building on October 15, 1913, the bank was the oldest and largest in Belleville. It had been chartered in 1859. German immigrant Edward Abend, who came with the first group of "Latin Farmers" . . . — Map (db m143316) HM
3Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Carrie Thomas Alexander-Bahrenburg — 1861-1929 — Progressive Activist —
Daughter of prominent civic leader Colonel John Thomas, Alexander-Bahrenburg in 1887 took over management of Belleville Citizen's Horse Railway. In 1900 she was elected one of the first female trustees of the University of Illinois. She became in . . . — Map (db m152949) HM
4Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Christian "Buddy" Ebsen — 1908-2003 — Star of Stage, Screen, and Television —
Born in Belleville, Buddy was the son of Christian Ebsen, the physical fitness instructor of the Belleville Turners. Fitness and dance instruction by his father served Buddy well and led to a 70-year career in show business. The Ebsen family left . . . — Map (db m153304) HM
5Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Deidesheimer's Dry Goods Store
In 1867, Henry Deidesheimer was one of three businessmen who built three identical buildings on adjoining lots on East Main Street at High Street. Each brick and iron building was three stories tall. Deidesheimer's dry goods and grocery store . . . — Map (db m157736) HM
6Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Dorothea Deichmann Millinery
When Dorothea Deichmann had this building constructed in 1892, it was still unusual for a woman to own property in her own name, erect buildings, and conduct her own business, but Deichmann was ahead of her time. She sold hats at this location from . . . — Map (db m143390) HM
7Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Edward A. Daley — 1887-1930 — Preeminent Town Booster —
A Missouri newspaperman, Daley came to Belleville in 1916 to become the executive director of the new Greater Belleville Board of Trade and promote the civic and economic development of Belleville. In 1917, he led the effort to convince the War . . . — Map (db m152953) HM
8Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Ever and Anon Park
The park is on the site of Hanover House, built in 1862, and later named Hotel Tiemann. The three-story hotel was demolished in 1998. Ever and Anon Park was developed by the Belleville Heritage Society. Old Belleville Historic District, one . . . — Map (db m143389) HM
9Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — George Blair — 1759-1833 — Belleville's Founder —
Blair was a Scottish American who arrived in St. Clair County in the 1790s and became the county sheriff. Soon after 1800 he moved to a 200-acre farm in the Clinton Hill Precinct. On March 10, 1814 he concluded negotiations with a county commission . . . — Map (db m152951) HM
10Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Gustavus Koerner — 1809-1896
Gustavus Koerner came to Belleville from Germany in 1833. He took a law degree from the University of Heidleberg in 1832. Shortly after, he was arrested during a political demonstration. He escaped and joined a party of emigrants. In Illinois his . . . — Map (db m140531) HM
11Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Gustavus P. Koerner/Sophia Engelmann Koerner — 1809-1896/1815-1888 (respectively) — German-American Reformers —
Abandoning hope of political reform in Germany, members of the Friedrich Engelmann family, including daughter Sophie, immigrated to the Belleville area in 1833. Sophie's suitor, Gustave Koerner, accompanied them after participating in a failed . . . — Map (db m153301) HM
12Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Historic Garfield Street Saloon
Adam Gintz, the president of Belleville's Western Brewery, built a saloon on the corner of Garfield and Mascoutah in 1896. Successor businesses would continue to provide alcoholic beverages here for more than a hundred years. The earliest . . . — Map (db m143311) HM
13Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — John Messinger, 1771-1846
John Messinger received a formal education in New England before settling on the Illinois frontier in 1802. After serving as St. Clair County Surveyor, he was appointed Deputy United States Surveyor and platted much of the government land between . . . — Map (db m140532) HM
14Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Julius Liese — 1843-1920 — Entrepreneur-Musician —
A native of Bavaria, Germany, Liese arrived in Belleville in 1864; became a bookkepper; and began teaching music. He joined the new Belleville Philharmonic orchestra in 1867 and became its second conductor in 1869. Until his resignation in 1885, . . . — Map (db m152952) HM
15Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Kastel Electric
At age 18, Fred Kastel began his career as an electrical contractor in 1906. He would remain in the business for 50 years. For much of his career he installed electrical wiring and fixtures in buildings constructed before the use of electricity was . . . — Map (db m152863) HM
16Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Les Mueller — 1919-2012 — Citizen Pitcher —
A Belleville native, Mueller pitched in the minor leagues after graduating from Belleville Township High School in 1937. The Detroit Tigers called him up for the 1941 season. Following service in World War II he returned to Detroit in 1945 and was a . . . — Map (db m153289) HM
17Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Lyman Trumbull — 1813-1896 — Apprentice Politician to National Leader —
A native of Connecticut, Trumbull arrived in Belleville in 1837 to practice law. He successfully challenged the last legal justification for slavery in Illinois. Before moving from town in 1848, he entered politics, serving a term in the Illinois . . . — Map (db m153287) HM
18Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Ninian Edwards — 1775-1833 — Illinois Leader, Town Developer —
Edwards came to Illinois from Kentucky in 1809 to become territorial governor. After Illinois attained statehood in 1818 he served as one of the state's first two US Senators. Even before moving to Belleville in 1824, Edwards heavily invested in the . . . — Map (db m153303) HM
19Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Peters Saloon
Henry Peters did something unusual for a saloonkeeper. He bought the property on which his rented saloon stood and built his own saloon at this location in 1910. A native of Germany, Peters became a saloonist in the 1890s and along with many fellow . . . — Map (db m152881) HM
20Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Reichert Business Block
Joseph Reichert, who had emigrated from the German State of Baden, was a prosperous miller in Freeburg seeking a business opportunity in Belleville. He constructed this building in 1880 to be operated by his daughter and son-in-law, Maria and John . . . — Map (db m152864) HM
21Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Robert "Bob" Goalby — 1929 - — Masterful Athlete —
A Belleville native, Goalby graduated from Township High School in 1947 after starring in football, basketball, and baseball. He played football at the University of Illinois but chose golf for his career. Having honed his golf skills while a caddie . . . — Map (db m152950) HM
22Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Romeiser Building
Peter M. Romeiser, a German immigrant and Civil War veteran, opened a small clothing store for men in 1878 that grew into a mercantile empire extending from this building to South Jackson Street in 1906. His innovative pricing policy in the retail . . . — Map (db m143387) HM
23Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Ruth A. Sterling — 1905-1994 — Pioneer Business Executive —
Belleville native Sterling graduated from Belleville Township High School in 1922 and worked as a stenographer. By 1925 she was an assistant secretary at the Belleville Casket Company and rose through the ranks to become company president in 1953, . . . — Map (db m157740) HM
24Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Site of Old St. Clair County Courthouse 1861-1972
. . . — Map (db m152873) HM
25Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — St. Clair National Bank
St. Clair National Bank began business in a former saloon at this location in 1919. The bank flourished and hired the local architectural firm of Frank Riester and Otto Rubach to design a new building that would convey a sense of the bank's . . . — Map (db m143314) HM
26Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Theodor Erasmus Hilgard — 1790-1873 — Democracy Advocate, West Belleville Developer —
For Germans yearning to live in a freer land, Justice Theodor Hilgard of the appellate court of Rhenish Bavaria encouraged scouts to immigrate to the United States to locate favorable places to settle. In 1833 they began the Latin Farmer migration, . . . — Map (db m157746) HM
27Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Washington Theatre
Opening night at the Washington Theatre was January 17, 1913. The admission price was 10 cents. Owner and theater magnate Louis Landau, Jr., directed the first night's performance include both vaudeville acts and a silent movie. Live music . . . — Map (db m152865) HM
28Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — 13 Star Day
In July 1778 Captain Joseph Bowman and a small band of rangers were dispatched by Col. Clark from Kaskaskia to Cahokia to offer the Cahokians the opportunity of becoming free as citizens of the Republic of Virginia. Cahokians were guaranteed all . . . — Map (db m142123) HM
29Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Cahokia — Lewis & Clark Expedition — 1803-1806 —
Cahokia was Lewis and Clark's host community for much of their six month stay in Illinois. Meriwether Lewis was often found in Cahokia on expedition business through the winter of 1803-04. During this important period of preparation, Lewis spent . . . — Map (db m140559) HM
30Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Cahokia - The Birthplace of the Midwest
Founded on May 14, 1699 as an Indian mission by missionary priests from the seminary of foreign missions at Quebec, Cahokia was the first European settlement in the entire Mississippi Valley. A significant mission and a principle fur trading . . . — Map (db m142085) HM
31Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Cahokia Association for the Tricentennial
On February 26, 1993 the first meeting of the Cahokia Association for the tricentennial was held. The goals set forth for the organization were to celebrate 300 years of continuous settlement, from the year 1699 to 1999 and to create a . . . — Map (db m142880) HM
32Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Cahokia Courthouse
Cahokia Courthouse is one of the region's oldest buildings and a unique remnant of the French occupation of the mid-Mississippi Valley. Originally constructed in about 1740 as a dwelling, the building became a courthouse in 1790. For twenty-four . . . — Map (db m142087) HM
33Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Chief Pontiac
Pontiac was an Ottawa Indian, born about 1720 in the Detroit area. By 1755, Pontiac had become a Chief. In 1763 warfare began between the Indian tribes and the English. The Indians were unsuccessful in their attack on Fort Detroit and Fort Pitt . . . — Map (db m142121) HM
34Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Church of the Holy Family
. . . — Map (db m140557) HM
35Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Fort Bowman
Cahokia was occupied on July 6, 1778 by Captain Joseph Bowman and about 40 men and Kaskaskians. Capt. Bowman selected an old stone house, known as the DuVerger Home, built in 1763, as headquarters. George Rogers Clark set up a civil government . . . — Map (db m142088) HM
36Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — French-Colonial Home Site Of Jean Baptiste Hamelin
With this marker we honor Captain Jean Baptiste Hamelin and the citizens of Cahokia for their sacrifice, and the role they played in the American Revolutionary War. In the latter days of the Revolutionary War, both American and British had ambitions . . . — Map (db m132349) HM
37Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Illinois in the American Revolution
George Rogers Clark captured Kaskaskia on the night of July 4-5, 1778, and then sent a small company under Captain Joseph Bowman northward to Cahokia. Bowman met no resistance from the French settlers along the way, and took possession of Cahokia on . . . — Map (db m140497) HM
38Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Jarrot Mansion
This landmark structure has withstood time, owners, and many different uses. It remains remarkably intact today. The Jarrot Mansion was completed in 1810 for Nicholas Jarrot, a native Frenchman who achieved prosperity through trade, land, and law in . . . — Map (db m145034) HM
39Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Jarrot Mansion
Major Nicholas Jarrot, 1764 - 1820, Frontier merchant prince, French Revolution refugee, built this Cahokia home, 1799 - 1806, for his American born wife, Julie St. Gemme de Beauvais, 1780 -1875, daughter of American Revolutionary patriots. . . . — Map (db m145035) HM
40Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — John Jacob Hays — (1770-1836)
John Jacob Hays was born in New York circa 1770. His family emigrated to North America from the Netherlands in 1720. The Hays family belongs to Congregation Shearith Israel, the oldest Jewish Congregation in the United States. John Jacob Hays . . . — Map (db m140422) HM
41Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Lewis and Clark in Illinois
On December 7, 1803, William Clark and several recruits landed at Cahokia, a town of about 700 residents. Meriwether Lewis was on the road to St. Louis to meet with the Spanish Governor. Two local men, Nicholas Jarrot and John Hay, went with him as . . . — Map (db m142124) HM
42Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Parks Air College
Parks Air College was founded in 1927 by visionary aviation pioneer Oliver Lafayette Parks (born Jun 10, 1899 & died Feb 1985) at Lambert Field in St. Louis, Missouri, in a rented hangar. A short time later "Lafe" Parks, as he was affectionately . . . — Map (db m142694) HM
43Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — St. Louis Downtown Airport (Parks Airport)
In 1929 the airport opened as the Curtis-Steinberg Airport. It was developed by a business consortium that included Mark Steinberg - a St. Louis financier and Curtis Wright - the owner of an aircraft and engine manufacturing firm. The group's . . . — Map (db m142879) HM
44Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — The Grand Plan
In 1778 Governor Patrick Henry of Virginia commissioned George Rogers Clark to raise a force of volunteers and enter the Illinois country to stop the British-inspired Indian raids on the rear of the revolting American colonies. Clark raised a force . . . — Map (db m142086) HM
45Illinois (St. Clair County), Collinsville — Cahokia Mounds — The Road to America's Oldest City
In 1806, President Thomas Jefferson signed legislation creating America's first federal highway. The National Road would join the bustling cities of the East to the resource-rich wilderness of the West, connecting state capitals, county seats, . . . — Map (db m144040) HM
46Illinois (St. Clair County), Collinsville — Grand Plaza — Heart of the City
The heart of Cahokia was the Grand Plaza situated between Monks Mound and the Twin Mounds. Archaeological testing has confirmed that the plaza was, in part, artificially created by filling in low areas and reducing high points to create a flat, . . . — Map (db m147237) HM
47Illinois (St. Clair County), Collinsville — Mound 72 — Elite Burials and Ritual Sacrifice
Archaeologists from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, led by Dr. Melvin Fowler, excavated about two-thirds of Mound 72 from 1967-1971. He selected this mound for excavation because: • It was along a hypothetical "centerline" of Cahokia • . . . — Map (db m144597) HM
48Illinois (St. Clair County), Collinsville — You Are Walking Where a Cahokia Neighborhood Once Stood
Before starting construction on the Interpretive Center in 1988, archaeologists excavated for two years in this area and discovered evidence of residential use, including over 80 houses and storage buildings, and several hundred storage and . . . — Map (db m151121) HM
49Illinois (St. Clair County), East Carondelet — Martin-Boismenue House
The Martin-Boismenue House is an excellent example of the architectural style known as French Creole. Few buildings of vertical timber construction remain, making the house one of the oldest structures of its kind in Illinois. It is believed that . . . — Map (db m140474) HM
50Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 19 — 1010 Pennsylvania Avenue — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here stood the home of Malbern Stephens, a decent man who fought corruption. He was elected mayor after the riot and oversaw reparations to the victims. — Map (db m142346) HM
51Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 6 — 10th Street and Piggott Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Hundreds crossed the Municipal Free Bridge over to St. Louis to escape the violence. White rioters attempted to block the entrance, killing some. — Map (db m142231) HM
52Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 5 — 10th Street and Trendley Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
White rioters attempted to push their violence past 10th Street, but snipers were ready and fired shots. Rioters retreated, but there was still much damage. — Map (db m142227) HM
53Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 2 — 1700 Bond Avenue — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Dr. Leroy Bundy lived here. He was a community leader in 1917. He stood trial and was found guilty of causing the riot. He was sentenced to life in prison. He was later exonerated by the Illinois Supreme Court. — Map (db m142225) HM
54Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 21 — 621 N. 9th Street — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Marcus Garvey blamed the massacre on Mayor Fred Mollman, who lived at this site. The mayor was incompetent and was indicted for not doing his duty. — Map (db m142460) HM
55Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 7 — 700 East Broadway — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
The Broadway "Opera House" was an empty theater on this site. It was rumored that many African Americans were burned to death inside. No remains were identified in the ashes. — Map (db m142238) HM
56Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 18 — Collinsville at St. Louis Avenue — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here is where the white rioters assembled, listened to inflammatory speeches, and marched in military formation toward East Broadway. The first victim was harmed here. — Map (db m142344) HM
57Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — Lewis and Clark in Illinois
On December 10, 1803 Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and their party camped at this place opposite St. Louis. The next morning, Clark left Lewis in St. Louis before heading upstream towards a winter campsite. They would spend five months in Illinois . . . — Map (db m132646) HM
58Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — Malcolm W. Martin Memorial Park
On June 7th, 2005, Gateway Center of Metropolitan St. Louis officially transferred the title of the Gateway Geyser and the 34.1 acres of grounds leading from the fountain to the Mississippi River to the Metro East Park and Recreation District . . . — Map (db m132873) HM
59Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — Mississippi River Overlook
The Mississippi River Overlook was completed in the spring of 2009 thanks to the support of the Gateway Center of Metropolitan St. Louis, which raised $4.2 million to fully fund its development. It was designed to anchor the western edge of the . . . — Map (db m132874) HM
60Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 23 — N. 13th St. and Nectar Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
A dozen houses were destroyed here. It was two miles from the massacre's core and is the farthest point north that the violence spread. — Map (db m142518) HM
61Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 24 — N. 18th St. and Parsons Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Several homes were burned here, but fatalities were few. Many African Americans were alerted to the trouble by this time and fled the neighborhood. — Map (db m142520) HM
62Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 17 — N. 3rd St. and Missouri Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Near this site was the City Hall, police department and fire station. On the night of the massacre, more than 1,000 people sought safety in the municipal buildings. — Map (db m142338) HM
63Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 16 — N. 4th St. and Division Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Narsis Gurlie lived near this spot. She stayed in her burning home until it collapsed. Severely burned, she and others fled. She was allowed to escape, but she lost everything. — Map (db m142320) HM
64Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 20 — N. 9th St. & St. Clair Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
On May 28, 1917, whites set fires and accosted African Americans around St. Clair Avenue. Authorities dispersed the rioters, but the troubles were not over. — Map (db m142936) HM
65Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 22 — N. 9th St. and Gross Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Around 11 p.m. on July 2, rioters set fire to the neighborhood here in an attempt to spread the violence to the north. Major military reinforcements did not arrive until after midnight. — Map (db m142464) HM
66Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 14 — S. 4th St. and E. Broadway — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
This intersection is where the height of brutal violence occurred. Many people died here, and their remains left for hours. — Map (db m142318) HM
67Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 15 — S. 4th St. and E. Broadway — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
A streetcar was stopped near this spot. White rioters pulled African American passengers off and attacked them while soldiers stood and watched. — Map (db m142319) HM
68Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 13 — S. 4th St. and Railroad Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here stood the residence of Scott and Iva Clark. Rioters burned their home, and a mob attacked them. A soldier did not protect them. Mr. Clark died. — Map (db m142317) HM
69Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 12 — S. 5th St. and Railroad Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
The most severe property damage happened here. Houses and rail cars on the adjacent tracks were destroyed by the rioters. Very little remained standing in this area. — Map (db m142286) HM
70Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 11 — S. 6th St. and Railroad Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Over 100 African Americans barricaded in two homes here. They provided armed resistance to the white attackers. Soldiers brokered a cease fire and escorted them to St. Louis. — Map (db m142285) HM
71Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 10 — S. 8th St. and Brady Ave. — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
White rioters burned homes, armed men stood along the railroad tracks near here and gunned-down African Americans fleeing their burning homes. — Map (db m142282) HM
72Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 8 — S. 8th St. and E. Broadway — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Otto Nelson lived here, the only African American detective on the police force. His home was destroyed and he fled to St. Louis. — Map (db m142239) HM
73Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — The Gateway Geyser
One of the tallest fountains in the world, the Gateway Geyser began operating on May 27, 1995, helping to fulfill Malcolm W. Martin's vision of creating a landmark in East St. Louis that would complement the Gateway Arch. The Gateway Geyser was . . . — Map (db m132872) HM
74Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 1 — Truelight Baptist Church — Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
The bell of this church rang out about 11p.m. on July 1, 1917, as both a warning and a call to arms. Trouble was brewing. — Map (db m142222) HM
75Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — York — Lewis & Clark Expedition — 1803-1806 —
York, as Clark's Body Slave, was an active voting member of the expedition. Described as big, very dark, strong, agile, athletic, and playful. York was known as "Big Medison" to Native Americans. From near this site he often paddled Lewis and Clark . . . — Map (db m132875) HM
76Illinois (St. Clair County), Freeburg — The Mississippi Bubble
"They related that there are mines of gold and silver.... There is reason to believe that the French who will settle among the Illinois Indians will make all these rich discoveries when the colony becomes more thickly populated." Thus, John Law, . . . — Map (db m143282) HM
77Illinois (St. Clair County), Hecker — Winstanley Settlement — Prairie Du Long, Illinois
Around 1816 pioneer families from Lancashire England established a Catholic English settlement near the banks of the Prairie Du Long Creek, and named it after their leader Thomas Winstanley, Irish and German immigrants arrived later in 1824 a log . . . — Map (db m143511) HM
78Illinois (St. Clair County), Lebanon — Mermaid House Hotel — Built 1830 by Retired Sea Captain Lyman Adams
Visited by Charles Dickens in 1842 - mentioned in his book American NotesMap (db m143286) HM
79Illinois (St. Clair County), Lebanon — The Deneen Family
On this site stood the home of the Deneen family long associated with the history of McKendree College -- Rev. William L. Deneen; Professor Samuel H. Deneen; and Charles S. Deneen, Governor of Illinois, 1905-1913, and US Senator, 1925-1931. They . . . — Map (db m143284) HM
80Illinois (St. Clair County), Mascoutah — Illinois Remembers POW/MIA
LTC Donald Parsons, Sparta Capt Roger Partington, Sparta SSG Oral Terry, Mascoutah — Map (db m96039) WM
81Illinois (St. Clair County), Mascoutah — U.S. Center of Population 1970-1980
On May 16, 1971 Secretary of Commerce Maurice H. Stans dedicated this standard marking the center of population of the United States. The 1970 decennial census established this center at latitude 38 degrees 27 minutes 47 seconds north and . . . — Map (db m143349) HM
82Illinois (St. Clair County), Millstadt — Log Cabin
This log cabin, circa 1840, was donated by the Harold Hoylman family. It was moved to this site and restored by the Millstadt Historical Society 2007. — Map (db m153290) HM
83Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 101 W State Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2006 —
Built in 1903/04, this building was home to the First National Bank, 1904 - 1960. It was remodeled in 1922 to its present appearance which included the addition of a distinctive outdoor clock. This was the first home of the O'Fallon Public Library . . . — Map (db m148597) HM
84Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 102 W State Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2006 —
The oldest still intact building in downtown O'Fallon was erected in 1863 by Levi Simmons to replace an earlier one destroyed by fire on this site. Originally a general store, over the years it has seen use as a saloon, hotel, post office, grocery, . . . — Map (db m148591) HM
85Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 119 E First Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2006 —
Built in 1914 by Budina Bros. for O'Fallon physician Herman T. Bechtold, this building housed various businesses over the years, including Dr. Bechtold's office. Its best known tenants, however, were the U.S. Post Office for which it was built, 1914 . . . — Map (db m148569) HM
86Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 122 E State Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2009 —
O'Fallon's first theater built exclusively for motion pictures, the 500 seat State Theatre was built in 1937. It was here that O'Fallonites watched countless movies including those of O'Fallon native William Holden and the nephew of O'Fallon . . . — Map (db m148588) HM
87Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 123 E First Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2009 —
Built in 1907 for O'Fallon physician Herman T. Bechtold, this building originally housed Samuel E. McGeehon's Grocery & Hardware store until 1926 when it became the home of the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (A & P) through 1940. O'Fallon's first . . . — Map (db m148566) HM
88Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 126 E State Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2009 —
Except during Prohibition, this building has been a saloon or tavern since it was built in the late 19th century. In 1920, it was purchased by Stephen and Emily "Ma" Rush as a soft drink parlor, later a confectionery and ice cream parlor. It was . . . — Map (db m148579) HM
89Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 220 E State Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2006 —
When it was built in 1908 by Joseph Taylor, this building, known as the Opera House, was considered "the wonder of the area." From its opening in 1909 until 1940, O'Fallonites were treated to public events, motion pictures and live shows - traveling . . . — Map (db m148574) HM
90Illinois (St. Clair County), O'Fallon — 225 W First Street — Main Street O'Fallon Landmark Award — Presented 2006 —
This building is home to O'Fallon's oldest existing business, established in 1894 by Mathias Schwarz as Schwarz Furniture & Undertaking. A hearse and carriage barn with elevator was built in the rear in 1909, and a funeral chapel was located next . . . — Map (db m152563) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 25, 2020