Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Landry Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Eunice Depot Museum image, Touch for more information
October 20, 2005
Eunice Depot Museum
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Eunice — City Of Eunice
On this site C.C. Duson drove a stake and said: "On this spot I will build a town and name it for my wife, Eunice." An auction of lots was held here to start the town, Sept. 12, 1894. Depot listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m85828) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Grand Coteau — Academy of the Sacred Heart
Second oldest institution of learning in Louisiana, opened in 1821 by Mother Aud้ and Sister Layton, Religious of the Sacred Heart. The Society was brought to America in 1818 by Blessed Philippine Duchesne. — Map (db m20027) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Grand Coteau — Grand Coteau
Early and important center of Catholic education. Noted for its Creole architecture. Town developed around Academy of Sacred Heart, founded in 1821, and St. Charles Jesuit College, founded in 1837. — Map (db m69329) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Atchafalaya Floodway — Indian Bayou — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
The Atchafalaya Basin is made up of three floodways - The West Atchafalaya Floodway, The Morganza Floodway and the Lower Atchafalaya Basin Floodway - which together are designed to move floodwaters south to the Gulf of Mexico.

Prior to the . . . — Map (db m117196) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Atchafalaya River — Teche-Vermilion Pump Station — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
The Flood Control Act of 1966 authorized the Teche-Vermilion Fresh Water Project, which provided funding for the construction of the system that now transfers water from the Atchafalaya River into Bayou Teche and the Vermilion River.

Efforts . . . — Map (db m114155) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Big Alabama Bayou
Big Alabama Bayou Big Alabama and Little Alabama Bayous are now cut off by levees, but once were bustling waterways, full of fisherman, trappers, hunters and more. The town of Sherburne, now long gone, once stood on the banks of the Big . . . — Map (db m129800) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Bottomland Hardwoods
Bottomland hardwood forests are seasonally flooded and are commonly known as swamps. These areas once covered great regions of the South but are now a patchwork system of fragmented lands.

Great swamps had many things that attracted early . . . — Map (db m135040)

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — 19th Century Outhouse, c.1890
Originally located in the community of Prairie Rhonde, next to the Emar Andrepont home, this 19th century cabinette was donated by the family of Dewey Ledoux and moved to the village in 1992.

While outhouses typically featured two seats, one . . . — Map (db m127819) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Battle of Opelousas
Here, on October 21, 1863, during the Great Texas Overland Expedition, Union troops under Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Banks, forced Confederates, under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor, to evacuate Opelousas and move his defensive line 7 miles north. 12 days later, . . . — Map (db m85920) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church — (1897-1918)
In 1897, when there were few local schools for Blacks, the 7th District Baptist School was founded and housed in the original church building on this site. It was 1 of 2 private schools for area Blacks. — Map (db m98730) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Doctor's Office — circa 1908
This turn of the century doctor's office, built by Dr. Ertemon Lafleur, was originally located one mile west of the junction of Louisiana highways 103 and 104 in the community of Prairie Ronde. The office is a reminder of how medical practice has . . . — Map (db m107590) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Emar Andrepont Store — circa 1880
Built in the 1880s by Emar Andrepont, this building is typical of an old "general" country store. Originally built in the rural St. Landry Parish community of Prairie Ronde, the store operated for nearly 100 years. It was first owned by Emar, and . . . — Map (db m107923) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19 — Loge L'Humble Chaumiere
Free and Accepted Masons Chartered August 19, 1820 The oldest Masonic Lodge in the United States west of the Mississippi River — Map (db m85362) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — J.S. Clark High School
The J.S. Clark walkway is a tribute to J.S. Clark High School, its faculty, staff, students and the people of Opelousas, Louisiana.

J.S. Clark High School was an endemic institution located at 1100 E. Leo Street in Opelousas, Louisiana. The . . . — Map (db m108010) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Jarrell Home — circa 1898
The expansion of the Teche Federal Bank on Landry Street in Opelousas led to the relocation of the Jarrell Home to Le Vieux Village

The history of the house dates back to 1898 when it was the property of Dr. Vincent Boagni, a noted Opelousas . . . — Map (db m107988) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — La Chapelle House — circa 1840
The La Chapelle house stood at the corner of Union and Grolee streets in Opelousas for more that a century. Clerk of Court records indicate the home was built by Herbert La Chapelle, a French Canadian who moved to Opelousas where he purchased land . . . — Map (db m107726) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Le Vieux Village — Established 1988
French for "the old village," Le Vieux Village is a park created by a collection of restored historic structures from Opelousas and surrounding areas of St. Landry Parish. The village depicts the unique and diverse historical and cultural heritage . . . — Map (db m107525) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church
The first Methodist Church in Louisiana began here in 1805 and is called "The Cradle of Louisiana Methodism." The first conference of Louisiana Methodists convened here in 1847. — Map (db m114178) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Memorial United Methodist Church — The Cradle of Louisiana Methodism
In 1805, Elisha W. Bowman was sent as a Missionary to Louisiana by Bishops Whatcoat and Asbury, reaching Appelousas territory in late 1805. He organized a Methodist Society in Opelousas early in 1806, which was as near as can be . . . — Map (db m114154) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Orphan Train Museum — Established October 10, 2009
In 2009, a former century old Union Pacific freight depot was restored to become the Louisiana Orphan Train Museum.

Opelousas was one of the many railway destinations for thousands of homeless children rescued from the streets of New York City . . . — Map (db m107838) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur — Diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana — Priest—WWII Chaplain • U.S. Army Air Corps • P.O.W.-M.I.A. —
(panel 1) Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur was born to Valentine and Agatha Dupre Lafleur on January 24, 1912 in Ville Platte, LA and later moved to Opelousas, LA in 1926. From St. Landry Catholic Church, he was accepted by the Diocese . . . — Map (db m86781) HM WM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Mary Jane Steam Engine Train — circa 1904
Built by Davenport, Iowa Ironworks Company, the Mary Jane Steam Engine was a wood-burner and, at its best speed, traveled 25 miles per hour. Records indicate the train was used for at least 50 years before it was retired. In 1959, civic organizers . . . — Map (db m107491) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas — Capital of Confederate Louisiana — May 1, 1862 - January 23, 1863 —
After the Union occupation of New Orleans and surrounding territory in the spring of 1862 the state offices were moved to Opelousas. From here Governor Thomas Moore issued an address to the people urging them to continue the struggle, and the state . . . — Map (db m85895) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas
English: Poste des Opelousas founded by French traders middle of 18th century. Headquarters district of Opelousas under Spanish 1769. Parish seat of "Old Imperial St. Landry" 1808. State Capital 1862-1863. French: Poste des . . . — Map (db m85896) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Catholic School
St. Mary's Academy, founded by Fr. Raymond for boys, 1855, combined with Academy of the Immaculate Conception for girls opened by the Marianite Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1856. St. Joseph's School, 1874, renamed Holy Ghost, was founded by the . . . — Map (db m85217) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Colored School — (1919-1953)
Site of first public school for People of Color in Opelousas. Also known as St. Landry Parish Training School. School constructed on property donated by the City of Opelousas in 1918. — Map (db m85216) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Firsts and Famous/ Hall of Fame
Opelousas First and Famous

Birthplace Of Zydeco Music Birthplace Of Swamp Pop Music First Protestant (Methodist) Church In Louisiana & Oldest Methodist Church West Of The Mississippi - 1806 First Masonic Temple West Of The . . . — Map (db m134002) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Rosa B. Scott (Anderson)
On June 20, 1994, an assault occurred at Fairchild Air Force Base by a gunman during which 4 personnel were killed and 23 wounded. Rosa B., a civilian nurse at the base hospital, risked her life as a first responder to prevent further loss of life. . . . — Map (db m108137) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Saint Landry Parish Mural
1) Sweet potatoes introduced and promoted throughout the area by John Sibille, brought prosperity and made Sunset the largest shipping point for yams in the world during the 1940's and 1950's. In the 1940's, Sunset became known as the "Sweet Potato . . . — Map (db m107613) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Seven Brothers Oak
On April 4, 1809, Louisiana cotton planter Jean Henri Lastrapes became the proud father of a new baby boy. Because this was his seventh son, he immediately sent workers out to gather seven small live oak trees, intending to surround his home with . . . — Map (db m107480) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Site of Bowie Residence
James Bowie lived here with his family from 1815 to 1824. The Bowies operated several sawmills along the bayous of St. Landry Parish. The famous Bowie knife became a legend in Opelousas prior to his heroic death at the Alamo. — Map (db m85968) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People — circa 1948
This small, single frame wood structure was built in 1948 as a house of worship for the African American Methodist congregation in the small, rural St. Landry Parish village of Palmetto. The church purchased a parcel of land located at the end of . . . — Map (db m107925) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Cemetery
Side 1

Established circa 1798; Opelousas oldest cemetery. Located on land donated by Michel Prudhomme in 1796. It is the final resting place of numerous New York Orphan Train Riders and many veterans of wars dating back to the American . . . — Map (db m114225) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Church
Founded as the "Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Post of Opelousas" by Capuchin monks. First recorded church ritual performed in 1756: first pastor Fr. Valentin. In 1796 Michel Prudhomme donated 120 arpents of land for the present . . . — Map (db m86739) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Church
The second largest Catholic Church in the south was established in 1776 and was named after the Bishop of Paris in 1650. Two former pastors are buried beneath its floor. Jim Bowie, hero of the Alamo was baptized and married here in 1814. In the . . . — Map (db m86742) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Sugar Kettle, c. 1800
Jesuit priests brought sugarcane into south Louisiana in 1751. Soon, a thriving industry was born in Louisiana.

A product of the late 18th and 19th centuries, these sphere-shaped kettles which were made from cast iron, were primarily used in the . . . — Map (db m107597) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — The Macland Plantation Bell — circa mid to late 1800s
Major Amos Webb, who built Arlington Plantation in nearby Washington, Louisiana, bought additional land near the north bank of Bayou Bouef in 1836, and built Macland Plantation for his son, Dr. Louis Archibald Webb in circa 1842.

The . . . — Map (db m107959) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Union Pacific Freight Depot — circa 1900
Originally located on Court Street on the east-west route of the Union Pacific Railroad, this building was once used as a freight depot and it is one of the last train depots of its kind in Louisiana. The depot was used until the late 1980s, when . . . — Map (db m107839) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Venus House — circa mid to late 1700s
The Venus House was the first building to be relocated to Le Vieux Village in 1973. This French Creole style home was donated by the Earl Fontenot family. The home was originally located in the small community of Grand Prairie. In 1975, the house . . . — Map (db m107490) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Opelousas — Whiteville School House — circa 1911
This building is typical of a two-room country schoolhouse. It was built at a time when horse drawn carriages transported children to school. The school's original location was the northern St. Landry Parish community of Whiteville.

Generally, . . . — Map (db m108008) HM

Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Plaisance — Plaisance School
Plaisance School was built in 1921 at a total cost of $4,500.00. Funds for construction were donated by Julius Rosenwald Fund - $1,200.00; the Plaisance black community - $3,100.00; and the St. Landry parish school authorities and the white . . . — Map (db m107477) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Port Barre — Bayou Courtableau at Bayou Teche Headwaters — Port Barre Park — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
Steamboat travel was frequently affected by low water, immovable rafts of debris, underwater snags and shifting sandbars, including one at the junction of Bayou Courtableau and the Atchafalaya River called Le Petit Diable ("The Little . . . — Map (db m114305) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Port Barre — Port Barre
Busy port during steamboat days; named after the Barre family. In 1765 Charles Barre bought 8800 arpents from Jacque Guillaume Courtableau, 1st Commandant, Opelousas Post. Here Bayou Courtableau gives birth to Bayou Teche. — Map (db m85865) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Port Barre — Port Barre
Port actif เ l'้poque du bateau เ vapeur. Appel้ d'apr่s le nom de la famille Barr้. En 1765 Charles Barr้ acheta 8800 arpents de terre เ Jacques Guillaume Courtableau, le premier Commandant du Poste des Opelousas. C'est ici que le Bayou . . . — Map (db m136231) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Sunset — Confederate Mass Grave
"While Texas will mourn the loss of her brave sons, she will treasure the memory as the glorious martyrs of our common country's independence." The above words echo from the report of Colonel O. M. Roberts regarding men of the 11th, 15th & 18th Tx. . . . — Map (db m20025) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Sunset — Semmes Battery
In memory of two unknown soldiers of Semmes Battery 1st Confederate Light Artillery who lost their lives on 10/15/1863 during the Battle of Little Carrion Crow Bayou. Their names may have been forgotten but their devotion to duty and country have . . . — Map (db m85894) HM
Louisiana (St. Landry Parish), Washington — Bayou Courtableau — Steamboat Turnaround — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
The width of Bayou Courtableau at the Town of Washington was too narrow to maintain steamboat operations until a turning basin was completed in 1848, allowing steamboats to reverse course and head back downstream.

Originally called the . . . — Map (db m114285) HM


47 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement