Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Louis County Missouri Historical Markers

361 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 161
 
Marker detail: Saint Louis, Missouri in 1855, engraving on stone by Leopold Gast & Brother image, Touch for more information
Courtesy Library of Congress
Marker detail: Saint Louis, Missouri in 1855, engraving on stone by Leopold Gast & Brother
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — A Community within a Community / ~150 Years Ago—Contraband
(left panel) A Community within a Community Surrounding this slave plantation in the 1850s were other large properties that were also dependent on slave labor. Interwoven with these were smaller tracts of land where family . . . — Map (db m124987) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — A Place Called Home / ~150 Years Ago—Petersburg
(left panel) A Place Called Home The Dent and Grant families spent many enjoyable years on this plantation while their children were growing up. While a few of the enslaved people lived in the house, most were housed in log . . . — Map (db m124988) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — A Slave Plantation
In 1843, Ulysses S. Grant first visited White Haven as a young second lieutenant. In the decades after that first visit, Grant, White Haven, and the country underwent vast changes in response to the turbulent issues that divided the nation. . . . — Map (db m124989) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Changes at White Haven / ~150 Years Ago - Grants Horses
Changes at White Haven (left panel) The end of the war brought many changes to the White Haven estate. The previously enslaved African Americans were free and appear to have left the area. Labor was now provided by German and French . . . — Map (db m122399) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Early Owners of the Farm — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
The builder of the house, as well as its subsequent owners, were well-known and respected individuals, and the farm reflected their status in the St. Louis community. Modifications were made to the original two-story, four-room structure to . . . — Map (db m124992) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Grant's Departure / ~150 Years Ago—
(left panel) Grant’s Departure After the Presidency and a world tour, Ulysses and Julia Grant settled in New York to be closer to their children and grandchildren. While the romance of one day returning to White Haven remained, . . . — Map (db m124990) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Green Haven? — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Colonel Dent named the property White Haven after his family home in Maryland. Paint analysis indicated the home was painted various colors in the nineteenth century, including Paris Green with a dark green trim, as seen on this wall and . . . — Map (db m124993) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — New Buildings for White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Grant's plans for developing the farm resulted in many improvements, including a barn and stable built between 1869 and 1872. The stable you see today housed Grant's horses. The barn that also appears in the 1875 illustration of the farm sheltered . . . — Map (db m124996) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Outbuildings / ~150 Years Ago—Colored Troops
(left panel) Outbuildings Operating an 850-acre slave plantation required numerous outbuildings. Col. Frederick Dent's enslaved African-Americans labored in these outbuildings and kept the farm self-sufficient prior to the Civil . . . — Map (db m124991) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Slaves Only — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Contrast this simple bead-board door to the finer paneled ones throughout the rest of the house. Its crude appearance suggests only slaves used this door to enter and exit the home.

One method employed to control slaves was to restrict their . . . — Map (db m124997) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — The Roads to White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Settlement in St. Louis County first occurred along the three main thoroughfares out from the city: Gravois to the southwest, Manchester to the west, and Natural Bridge to the northwest. Railroad development paralleled the Mississippi River to the . . . — Map (db m124998) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — The White Haven Estate: Other Houses — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
White Haven was the name given to both the house and the estate. Typical of many large plantations, other houses on the property were built and occupied by family members and slaves. White residents gave their houses special names. The slaves, . . . — Map (db m124999) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — The Working Farm — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
White Haven was typical of large farms in the area during the mid-1800s. As times changed, so did its operation in terms of labor, equipment, and methods. Its two owners, Colonel Dent and Ulysses Grant, also had different interests and therefore . . . — Map (db m125000) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
White Haven has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1986 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m125001) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — White Haven's Outbuildings — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Operating this 850-acre farm required numerous outbuildings. These included a spring house built over the spring to provide a cool place for crocks of butter and cheese; a barn behind the main house for livestock such as cows, pigs, and sheep; . . . — Map (db m125002) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Affton — Working Plantation / ~150 Years Ago - Emancipation
Working Plantation (left panel) White Haven was typical of slave plantations in the area during the mid-1800s. As times changed, so did the operation of the farm in terms of labor, equipment and methods. Prior to the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m122400) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — #3 "Aerotrain" — Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific — 1955 —
One of the two experimental demonstrator "Aerotrains" (#2 and #3) built by GM with a new light weigh construction and low center of gravity concept, powered by 1,200 h.p. futuristic locomotives. Initially in mainline service, they rode poorly at . . . — Map (db m133024) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — #J13218 — Buda
Built by the Austin-Western Company, this gasoline powered road roller shows the transition from the earlier steam powered roller design to internal combustion power. This equipment was used to compress the soil and crushed rock to form a solid . . . — Map (db m133023) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — Lockheed T-33 A Shooting Star — The workhorse jet trainer of the Cold War era
Not long after the end of hostilities in World War II, the United States found itself once again in the position of retooling its military aviation programs, this time as a result of the dawn of the jet age. The propeller-driven fighters that had . . . — Map (db m133026) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Berkeley — Mercury Spacecraft MA-6, 1962 — IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing
Col. John Glenn piloted the Mercury Friendship 7 spacecraft in the first United States human orbital flight on 20 February 1962. Electrical and electronic systems invented by McDonnell Aircraft engineers, including IRE members, made his and . . . — Map (db m146059) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Berkeley — Project Gemini
From 1962 through 1966, the men and women of McDonnell Aircraft supported the nation's space program through the design and manufacture of the Gemini spacecraft, proudly built here in St. Louis. Erected in memory of Astronauts Charles A. . . . — Map (db m146080) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Barry-Wehmiller Pavilion
Up the hill stands the headquarters of Barry-Wehmiller, a global capital equipment manufacturer whose St. Louis roots date back to the 1880s. Its most enduring legacy, however, is its commitment to being an organization where people can develop and . . . — Map (db m142046) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Francis Olympic Field
Francis Olympic Field served as the main site of the 1904 Olympics. It is named in honor of 1870 Washington University graduate David R. Francis, whose visionary efforts brought the Olympic Games to St. Louis in parallel with the 1904 World's . . . — Map (db m144047) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Hanley-Clayton Donation Helps Establish the St. Louis County Seat
Martin F. Hanley sought to establish the County Seat at the resort property at Mount Olive near where Olive Boulevard and Hanley Road intersect today. Hanley's former neighbor, Mr. Ecker, operated the resort. Hanley and Ecker offered to donate 100 . . . — Map (db m145210) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Historic Hanley House
Built in 1855 by Martin Franklin Henley, the Historic Hanley House is the oldest building in the City of Clayton and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house once stood on just over 100 acres of farmland. In 1876, Martin F. . . . — Map (db m145212) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Outdoor Kitchen & Hired Man's Room
The Hanley House outbuilding includes the Kitchen and Hired Man's Room. The structure dates to 1855 and is original to the site. The kitchen once served as the slave quarter for the farmstead. After the death of her father, James Walton, Cyrene C. . . . — Map (db m145186) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Saint Louis County
The county was first visited by white colonists when missionary priests, Illinois French, and Kaskaskia and Tamaroa Indians settled the temporary village of Des Peres, 1700-03. The village site, laid out 18 years after La Salle claimed the territory . . . — Map (db m141896) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — The Hanley Farm, Past and Present
In 1847, Martin F. Hanley purchased 100.6 acres of land from William Wyatt for $750. Hanley initially made his living as a blacksmith but turned his attention to farming following the construction of his home in 1855. Built in the Greek revival . . . — Map (db m145209) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Crestwood — Grant's Trail: Sappington House and Father Dickson Cemetery
Sappington House • The Sappington House is the historic home of Thomas Sappington. Thomas was one of the seventeen children of John and Jemima Sappington, early pioneers of the area. John and Jemima Sappington moved to this area in 1804 . . . — Map (db m140976) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Creve Coeur — Gerald Gordon
On October 8, 1977, Gerald Gordon was assassinated upon leaving the Bar Mitzvah of Richard Kalina at Brith Sholom Kneseth Israel congregation in Richmond Heights, Missouri. His killer, a notorious anti-Semite and white supremacist, was brought to . . . — Map (db m144816) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Eureka — A "Key" from the past...
This neon sign once helped bring weary travelers in for a bite to eat and some coffee at the Keys Cafι, formerly located in Franklin County, MO, on Historic Route 66 by the Twin Bridges. The sign has a distinctive "key" shape, playing on the . . . — Map (db m122394) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Arthur Bangert — Mayor of Florissant 1938-1950
Called the Father of Modern Florissant. He gave the City piped water, a sewer system, the first City library and established the Planning and Zoning, Public Works and Police Departments. He brought financial stability and legally changed the name . . . — Map (db m149393) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Catherine "Kay" Spring — Historic Preservationist — 28 May 1936 - 11 December 2017 —
Kay dedicated her life working for the City of Florissant with a genuine affection for everyone she met. Kay played key roles in renovating many treasures including the John B. Meyers House/Barn, Archambault House, the Log Cabin & the Gittemeier . . . — Map (db m145310) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Charles Castello — 22 May 1839 - 11 December 1893
Elected twenty-seven times to the office of Mayor he served from 1865 to 1890 and then again from 1892 to 1893, dying in office. He helped to bring the West End Narrow Gauge Railroad to Florissant and under his leadership Florissant offered land and . . . — Map (db m145367) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Charlotte Ballard — 19 November 1909 - 13 August 1999
Sole owner of Ballard Plumbing after her husband Lawrence died. First woman in MO to hold a Master Plumber license. Charter member Florissant Valley Historical Society and Florissant Old Town Partners. President Florissant Valley Sheltered Workshop. . . . — Map (db m147213) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — David L. Reynolds — 7 November 1936 - 9 January 2003
A United States Navy veteran, Dave served on the Florissant City Council from 1976 - 1994 and was Council President in 1979. He served as President of the St. Louis County Municipal League in 1988 and was elected to four terms as a Missouri State . . . — Map (db m145370) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Donald L. Bond — "Mr. North County" — 17 June 1931 - 21 April 1990 —
Florissant Councilman 1959 - 1977 St. Louis County Councilman 1977 - 1990 Don earned a reputation for fighting for his constituents, and for a high quality of life in Florissant and North County. Always easily accessible, he hosted annual . . . — Map (db m145371) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Donald R. Zykan, Sr. — 25 September 1932 - 1 March 1999 — "If Nobody Can - Zykan" —
Don Zykan, Sr. co-owned Zykan Bros. Solid Waste with his brothers Ed and Joe. Their Florissant based business was founded in 1932 by their father John M. Zykan. In 1951 Don married Florissant native Grace Ebbesmeyer and they raised 5 children and . . . — Map (db m147813) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — First Lieutenant Michael J. Blassie — Vietnam Era Unknown Soldier — 4 April 1948 - 11 May 1972 —
Florissant patriot graduated Air Force Academy, fighter pilot 8th Special Ops Squadron Vietnam. Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross Air Metal. May 11, 1972 his A-37 Dragonfly was shot down during his 138th combat mission. His remains, classified . . . — Map (db m149383) HM WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Florissant
French trappers discovered the fertile valley formed by the Reviere de Biche and called it Fleurissant. They stayed to till the rich soil and build a village here on the east bank of the stream the Americans would call Coldwater Creek the common . . . — Map (db m140712) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Francois Dunegant dit Borosier — b. Canada 1752 - d. Florissant September 13, 1825 — A Walk Through History —
Commissioned by the Spanish Governor as the Military and Civil Commandant of the village of St. Ferdinand de Florissant throughout the Spanish regime, often described as a man of honesty and integrity who shaped and guided the little settlement of . . . — Map (db m145290) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Frank B. Korte / Josephine "Jo" Korte — 8 Sept. 1916 - 05 Nov. 2002 / 23 Jan. 1920 - 12 April 2015
Frank and Jo married in 1943 and opened Korte Hardware, 610 St. Francois, in 1946. Devoted to family and faith they put a priority on community service with leadership roles in Fire Department, Hospital, Chamber, Valley of Flowers, Historical . . . — Map (db m149392) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Grace A. Zykan — 22 June 1932 - 4 May 2017 — "Amazing Grace" —
Grace Ebbesmeyer, the second youngest of 9. Married Don Zykan, Sr. in 1951 & mother of 5. Officer & Owner Zykan Bros. Family Business. Chamber Outstanding Person of the Year 2006, Past President OTP & STL Soroptomist Club. Receiver of Christian . . . — Map (db m147815) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Gregorie Aubuchon — Florissant's First Mayor
He was a descendant of Joseph Aubuchon who was in Florissant as early as 1799. In 1857 when the Missouri State Legislature changed Florissant’s form of government from trusteeship to mayor-council he became the first mayor under the Special . . . — Map (db m145368) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Harold "Hal" Schuchmann — A Life of Community Service — 27 April 1927 - 18 January 2019 —
Hal Schuchmann, Army Veteran & Wash U grad, Florissant Ward 6 Councilman from 1963 - 1975 & advocated building existing City Hall & both Civic Centers. On 1963 Board of Freeholders which drafted current City Charter. Lord of Valley Flowers Court for . . . — Map (db m149394) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Henry F. Hendel — 11 October 1917 - 1 August 2011
A life-long resident of Florissant and World War II Army Veteran. He was an active member of American Legion Post 444 and Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Henry operated Hendel's Market for forty-seven years as a popular neighborhood grocery store. He . . . — Map (db m147812) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Henry F. Koch — Born September 2, 1921 Died May 21, 1988
He was Florissant's first full-time salaried City Clerk, serving from 1950 to 1960. In that ten year period, the population of Florissant increased 921%. In 1960, he was elected as the first full-time Mayor and the last Mayor under the 1857 Charter. . . . — Map (db m147808) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James (Jay) Russell — Born on November 4, 1928 in St. Louis.
Statesman and Florissant businessman. Jay was Missouri State Legislator from 1962 - 1990 Lewis & Clark Democratic Committeeman 1970 - 2008 House of Representatives - Chairman - Appropriations - member of numerous committees. He appropriated funds . . . — Map (db m149380) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James E. Fischer — 29 March 1924 - 1 August 2012
Co-Owned Fischer's Department Store with his brother Al, the oldest business in Florissant still in operation. Served as a Flight Engineer on a B17 Crew during World War II. Charter Member and past President of Florissant Rotary Club and Rotary . . . — Map (db m145345) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — James J. Eagan — Born March 4, 1926 - Died in office November 2, 2000
He was the first Mayor elected under the 1963 Charter. During his administration a new Community Center and Civic Center were built. He initiated the LSV program and free bus service for older residents. Proud of his Irish ancestry, he was . . . — Map (db m145414) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John A. Ortwig — 27 November 1940 - 30 July 2019
Chamber Member since 1987. Outstanding Business Person of the Year 2015. Owned Florissant Glass Co. since 1972 & Old Town Wedding Chapel since 1990. Elks Member since 1969, Trustee 18 years, Chairman of the Trustees, Dare supporter, organized Hoop . . . — Map (db m149391) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John H. "Johnny" Londoff, Sr. — "Family Businessman, Veteran, Philanthropist & Celebrity" — 24 August 1924 - 11 May 2010 —
In 1940, John Londoff, Sr. founded a Motor Co. with his dad Harry. Then joined the Marines in WWII. Famous jingle, Florissant building and lot and scholarships circa 1960. Variety Club Telethon Man of the Year, raised millions for children helped by . . . — Map (db m145308) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John M. & Pearl Dooley — 15 May 1927 - 5 March 1986 * 18 June 1924 - 13 May 2015
John & Pearl opened Dooley's Florist July, 1966 raising 6 children & 1 niece in the family business with all working at the store. Pearl ran the accredited florist shop while John, a WWII veteran was a proud member of the Pipefitters Local 562 & . . . — Map (db m149395) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — John Mullanphy — Born 1758 In Enniskillen, Ireland — Died In St. Louis September 29, 1833 —
It has been said “One man's name towers above all others as a giant among the great men of North County's past.” When Missouri became a State, he offered to build the State House at his own expense if Florissant were made the capital. . . . — Map (db m145369) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Joseph Peters — 1832-1913
A founder of the first bank in Florissant and of the Florissant Canning Factory, he owned the Joseph Peters Furniture Company in St. Louis. He has been described as "one of the industrial builders of St. Louis." His home stood on the grounds of the . . . — Map (db m145412) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Judge Timothy W. Kelly, Sr. — Presided over Florissant Municipal Court For thirty-two years (1979-2011) — 5 October 1947 - 4 June 2011 —
Second son of Florissant Judge John J. Kelly (1956-1958). Tim grew up in Florissant attending Fatima and St. Thomas Aquinas. He presided over a firm but fair court and was elected eleven times. Tim Kelly inspired troubled young adults to strive . . . — Map (db m147214) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Jules ONeil
He served as Mayor from 1955 to 1959. He was a staunch supporter of the 1821 St. Ferdinand Church recognizing its historical significance. Through his efforts and with community support, the building was saved. The preservation movement in . . . — Map (db m145306) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Kenneth J. "Ken" Otto — "Handyman Hardware Humanitarian" — 16 November 1927 - 6 January 2006 —
Ken had a lifetime of community service in two cities & St. Louis County. He served Pine Lawn as Mayor, Alderman & businessman. In Florissant he owned two popular hi touch Handyman Hardware stores with wife Kathleen & sons Dave & Glenn, was . . . — Map (db m145344) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Lowell E. Girardier — Community Volunteer & Builder — 7 March 1929 - 26 March 2010 —
Lowell founded Girardier Building & Realty contracting in 1955 & built many Florissant homes, churches, schools, stores & offices. Donated & moved VOF/OTP HQ building. Co-founder DePaul Foundation, SSM DePaul Health Center advisory board, President . . . — Map (db m149403) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Old St. Ferdinand Shrine
This church was built in 1821, at the then frontier of our beloved land and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with St. Ferdinand and St. John Francis Regis as secondary patrons — Map (db m140717) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Patrick G. Click, Sr. — 17 March 1940 - 18 October 2015
Pat co-owned Click Heating & Cooling with his wife Lora during 50 years of marriage. A mainstay on "Old Town" St. Francois for 41 years. Pat served 10 years in the U.S. Navy, & was at tip of spear during Cuban Missile Crisis. Rotary Paul Harris . . . — Map (db m147211) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Paul F. Detrick, Sr. — Christian Hospital Founding Father — 6 September 1923 - 31 August 1999 —
Paul Detrick named President of Christian Hospital 1960. Paul & Mary raised three children in North County, their home for life. His vision & leadership instrumental developing Florissant healthcare services opening Christian Hospital Northwest 1968 . . . — Map (db m145342) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Paul J. Kohnen — 17 April 1922 - 31 October 2009
Paul was a lifelong resident of Florissant. In 1945 he married Thelma Korte & raised 6 children. Sergeant Kohnen served with the US Army Air Corps in England during WWII. In 1955 he opened Bergjan's Dairy later renamed Kohnen's Dairy. Past President . . . — Map (db m149387) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Philip A. "Phil" Foeller — "Business Owner & Community Volunteer" — 5 December 1929 - 25 November 2013 —
One of the original German families of Sacred Heart Church. A lifelong community oriented resident & businessman of Florissant. He & his wife Rose Marie raised five children in Old Town & founded Florissant Auto Radiator still at 865 N. Lafayette. . . . — Map (db m145343) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Pierre-Jean De Smet, S.J. — b. 1-30-1801 d. 5-23-1873
Born in Termonde, Belgium, he came to the United States in 1821 and entered the Jesuit novitiate at White Marsh, Maryland. In 1823, he was sent to establish a new Jesuit mission in Florissant where he was ordained on September 23, 1827. Called the . . . — Map (db m140719) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Richard "Dick" A. Weber — 23 December 1929 - 14 February 2005
Dick moved to Florissant in 1955 and opened Dick Weber Lanes in 1971. Founding member and longtime star of the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) from 1950's to 1990's. He was a bowling legend and one of the sport's most popular figures. Dick . . . — Map (db m149373) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Rita Ann Moellering — All American Girls Pro Baseball Player — 12 February 1927 - 16 June 1992 —
Rita Meyer born in Old Town Florissant, oldest of seven children, Member of AAGPBL 1946 to 1949 for the Peoria Redwings, played shortstop & pitcher, RBI leader 1948. Nicknamed "Slats" after Cardinal shortstop Marty Marion. Married Robert Moellering . . . — Map (db m145301) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Robert G. Lowery, Sr. — Police Chief 1979-2001, Mayor 2001-2011 — 29 December 1938 - 30 July 2018 —
Bob Lowery began his 50 year career of service to Florissant residents as a Patrolman in 1961 advancing to Chief in 1979 & excelling in that position until elected Mayor in 2001. He loved Carole & his family. He loved people & always placed a . . . — Map (db m145413) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Rosemary Straub Davison — 7 August 1918 - 23 September 2014 — "Preservationist & Historian" —
Rosemary was committed to preserving historically significant homes and buildings that helped shape Florissant. She was on the Board of Freeholders that formed our current city charter, was City Clerk from 1963 - 1979 and was a founding member of . . . — Map (db m149404) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne — b. 8-29-1769 d. 11-18-1852
To the Native Americans, she was the Woman Who Always Prays. Born in France, she came to Florissant in 1819. Her convent home still stands and with Old St. Ferdinand's Shrine is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. She opened the . . . — Map (db m140720) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Sgt. 1st Class Charles F. Prevedel — Vietnam Era MIA/POW Green Beret — 18 November 1943 - 17 April 1969 —
US Army patriot on Florissant Koch Park Vietnam Obelisk. Bronze Star Feb. 1969. Ambushed with Reconnaissance Special Forces near Laotian border April 17, 1969. Search teams found no signs, possible POW's. Declared dead Sept. 25, 1978. Joint . . . — Map (db m149390) HM WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Sidney R. Garrett — 1864-1933 — A Walk Through History —
Served Florissant first as Town Marshal, then Postmaster and from 1915 to 1929 as Mayor. He was a partner in the St. Ferdinand Milling Company and as Mayor had the first street lights installed and established the Volunteer Fire Department. — Map (db m147809) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — St. Ferdinand III of Castile — b. 1199 d. 5-30-1252
King of Spain from 1217 to 1252, he was canonized by Pope Clement X in 1671. He was a capable and just administrator, spreading Christianity throughout his kingdom. He drove the Moors out of most of Spain, founded monasteries, established the . . . — Map (db m149381) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Sunset Greenway
A Fertile Valley You are standing in one of Missouri's oldest settlements. In the last half of the 18th century, French trappers following the Riviere le Biche (Cold Water Creek) came upon this rich, fertile valley and settled here. . . . — Map (db m140743) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Thomas Jefferson — 13 April 1743 - 4 July 1826 (50th annv. of 1776)
Third President of the United States from 1801 to 1809; a principal American founding father & author of the Declaration of Independence; Father of the 1804 Louisiana Purchase that doubled the Nation's size bringing St. Ferdinand de Fleurissant into . . . — Map (db m145346) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — "Black Diamond" — Reading — 1889 —
2-2-2 Type inspection locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. The "Black Diamond" has a walnut paneled observation room, seats eight, is 22'9 1/4" long weighs 26,300 lbs, and is beloved to the the last steam inspection locomotive in existence . . . — Map (db m132990) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — "Daniel Nason" — Boston & Providence — 1863 —
This 4-4-0 "American" type locomotive was designed by Master Mechanic George S. Griggs and built by the railroad's shops. It is the only surviving "Dutch Wagon," locomotive, with its cylinders under the smokebox and inside the frames, a popular . . . — Map (db m132981) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1 — City of St. Louis Water Division — 1924 —
The Whitcomb Locomotive Company of Rochelle, Illinois built this 15 ton, model SRD industrial switching locomotive. It was a gasoline-mechanical engine, but it was later given an 87 HP, 3-cylinder, GM diesel engine. It has a clutch and manual . . . — Map (db m132940) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #102 — Arkansas & Missouri — 1899 —
This wooden "combine" car carries both coach passengers and baggage. It is typical of many cars of the era, and was used for Boston area commuter service after steel cars became common. Its body is 60' 6" long, and its overall length is 67' 6." It . . . — Map (db m132984) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #103 — General Motors — 1939 —
Built by the Electro-Motive Division of GM as part of "the diesel that did it", the four unit demonstrator locomotive that proved the efficiency of diesel power compared to steam. Number 103 is a 16 cylinder, 567 series engine rated at 1350 h.p. . . . — Map (db m133014) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1057 — General American Pfaulder Corporation Milk Car
In this car the small sliding door above the side entry door was used for the milk loading hose. To keep the interior as clean as possible during loading the entry doors were kept closed once this piping was hooked up unless a worker was going in . . . — Map (db m132941) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1082 — Northern Pacific — 1954 —
This caboose was built by the Northern Pacific Railway at their Brainerd, MN shops. The cupola on top is a lookout for its crew, where they can keep watch on the freight cars as the train runs. It was rebuilt in 1968 with a propane-fired heater . . . — Map (db m132935) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #113 — New York Central & Hudson River — 1906 —
Built by ALCO-GE for use on electrified track between Grand Central station in New York City and Harmon, N.Y. Number 113 is a 2+D+2 Class S-2 which was the prototype for thousands of Lionel and Ives electric trains. Donated in 1963 by the New York . . . — Map (db m132947) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1149 — U.S. Army Transportation Corp — 1952 —
Built by Davenport Besler Corp., the #1149 is a 1-B-1 experimental gas-turbine locomotive which has two Boeing 502-2E, 150 h.p. jet engine type gas turbine and was tested by the Army at Fort Eustis, VA. Donated in 1980 by its designer R. Tom Sawyer. — Map (db m132939) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1365 — Brooklyn Rapid Transit — 1905 —
The jewett car Company of Newark, OH, built the "convertible," double-ended elevated car with removable window panels as of an order for 100 cars. They operated as open sided cars with safety bars across the window openings during warm weather. This . . . — Map (db m132957) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #13889 — Missouri Pacific — 1980 —
A total of 350 of these main line cabooses were built by the railroad between 1977 and 1981 as the last such cars purchased by the Missouri Pacific. The bay windows extending out from each side were used by the crew to keep the train under . . . — Map (db m132936) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1522 — St. Louis - San Francisco (Frisco) — 1926 —
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this Mountain-type (4-8-2) fast freight and passenger locomotive for $69,000. It was one of a series of 30 engines, and operated for 1,754,373 miles before is 1951 retirement. It has 69 1/2" driving wheels, 28" x . . . — Map (db m132988) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1575 — Illinois Terminal — 1918 —
Built by the IT Railroad in its Decatur, IL shops, the 1575 is a Class B electric freight B+B locomotive equipped with four GE 69-C motors. It weighs 120,000 lbs. and has tractive effort of 30,000 lbs. Donated in 1968 by the St. Louis Car Division . . . — Map (db m132945) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1582 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1916 —
The baggage car is located just behind the express and mail cars and ahead of the passenger-carrying cars in the train. It is used to transport personal baggage, as well as items such as skis, bicycles, dogs, cats, and other pets accompanying their . . . — Map (db m132931) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1595 — Illinois Terminal — 1928 —
The Illinois Terminal built 20 Class C elec tric interurban freight locomotives at their Decatur, IL shops, using trucks, traction motors and control equipment from retired passenger cars. These were needed as freight trains became heavier, and are . . . — Map (db m132955) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1621 — St. Louis - San Francisco / Eagle Picher — 1918 —
This is a 2-10-0 decapod type freight locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works for Imperial Russia, which contracted with Baldwin in 1915 for some 1,200 locomotives. Following the Russian Revolution, and therefore the inability to deliver these . . . — Map (db m132951) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #1942 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1922 —
The mail was picked up, sorted and delivered in this 70' car. Mail destined for this train was placed in a large pouch and attached to a crane (hook) located alongside the track. On each side of the mail car is a steel V-shaped catcher arm. Without . . . — Map (db m132928) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #2 — Laclede Christy — 1907 —
0-4-0T Four Wheel Switcher built by Davenport Locomotive Works, it is a coal burning, narrow gauge (30"), saddle tank locomotive (it carried it's water and fuel on the engine so it did not need a tender) that was used at the Laclede Christy Company . . . — Map (db m132911) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #2003 — Joplin - Pittsburg (Missouri - Kansas) — 1936 —
Built at the Plymouth Locomotive Works of Plymouth, Ohio, number 2003 is a propane-electric unit used in short line freight service on the Joplin-Pittsburg Railroad and later on the Kansas City public service freight operations (as #1). It weighs . . . — Map (db m132948) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #206 — Illinois Terminal Railbus — 1939 —
Built by the White Motor Company as a school bus, it was adapted to rail by the IT railroad which equipped it with a special rear axle, flanged wheels and a four wheel front bogie truck. This railbus, "The Dinky", was used to transport passengers . . . — Map (db m132986) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #2727 — Chesapeake & Ohio — 1944 —
2-8-4 Kanawha (or Berkshire) type freight locomotive built by ALCO, THE 2727 weighs 850,000 lbs. is 105' 1 7/8" long, has a roller bearings on all of it's axles and could generate more than 5,000 h.p. Donated in 1957 by the Chesapeake & Ohio . . . — Map (db m133015) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #274 — Chicago and Northwestern — 1873 —
4-4-0 American type passenger locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. Number 274 features a rigid coupler with a slotted knuckle to mate with link-and-pin couplers and one of the earliest 6" air compressors with cam operated driver brakes. . . . — Map (db m132969) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #2804 — Union Pacific — 1966 —
Built by General Electric, this model U28C freight locomotive has a 16 cylinder, 4 cycle turbo charged engine which produces 2,800 horsepower. It is 67 feet 3 inches long, weighs 360,000 pound and has a 2,900 gallon capacity fuel tank. Union Pacific . . . — Map (db m132994) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #2933 — New York Central — 1929 —
4-8-2 Mohawk-type locomotive built by Alco for fast freight service. Later versions performed both passenger and freight duties. Number 2933 has 69" drivers and weighs 370,150 pounds. Donated in 1963 by the New York Central Railroad. Restoration . . . — Map (db m132954) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #30 — Illinois Central, University of Illinois Dynamometer Car — 1943 —
Built by the Illinois Central railroad at it's Burnside shops in Chicago with the instruments provided by the University of Illinois (the car was jointly owned). The dynamometer car is a rolling laboratory that tests the pulling power of . . . — Map (db m132993) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #311 — Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) — 1890 & 1923 —
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this 4-4-0 (American Standard) type locomotive. It was extensively rebuilt by the railroad, getting a new boiler, new steam chests with piston valves, a steel cab, and a new tender, and it was converted to burn . . . — Map (db m132974) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #318 — Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis — 1926 —
This eight-wheel (0-8-0), heavy steam switcher was "home-built" at the TRRA's Brooklyn, IL, shops. It was the first steam locomotive ever built with a one-piece, solid cast steel locomotive bed, which included its cylinders with the frame and pilot . . . — Map (db m132989) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #3607 — Erie-Lackawanna — 1967 —
Built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors for $284,000.00, this SD-45 heavy freight locomotive has a model V-20 turbo charged engine. This model has 20 cylinders and is the first V-20 engine ever made which was the largest ever used on . . . — Map (db m133022) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #39 "Marmora" — Boston & Albany — 1876 —
4-4-0 American type passenger locomotive, #39 was christened the "Marmora" when it was built in 1876 at the Boston & Albany's Srpingfield, Mass. shops. Designed by Master Mechanic Wilson Eddy #39 was one of the hundred "Eddy Clocks" known for their . . . — Map (db m132968) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #4006 — Union Pacific "Big Boy" — Cab Open for Display —
Built in 1941 by the American Locomotive Company at a cost of $265,000.00 number 4006 is one of 25 "big boys," the largest successful steam locomotives ever built, with a total weight over 600 tons. It is 132'9 1/4" long, carries 33 tons of coal and . . . — Map (db m133017) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #408 — Sabine River & Northern — 1937 —
This Model NC diesel-electric switcher cost $91,500.00 has a 900 h.p., 12 cylinder, Winston 201 A engine, weighs 250,000 lbs. and has a cast frame (modern locomotives have a fabricated / welded frame). Switch engines are used primarily to . . . — Map (db m132952) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #4502 — Missouri Pacific — 1955 —
The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) built this model RS-3 diesel-electric, four axle (B-B), road switcher locomotive. It produced 1600 hp from a 12 cylinder, model 244 engine. The RS-3 was built from May 1950 to August 1956, and 1,370 were . . . — Map (db m132978) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #4700 — Pennsylvania — 1931 —
This is one of two class P-5 prototypes built at the railroad's Altoona, PA, shops. They led to the construction of 90 additional, class P-5a locomotives which were built for electrified passenger service between New York City, Philadelphia, PA, . . . — Map (db m132960) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #4916 — Amtrak — 1942 —
Built by the Pennsylvania Railroad as #4918 or use in the Northeast Corridor from New York to Washington, D.C. This GGI class electric locomotive was 1 of 139 which were built from 1934 o 1943. It is 79 feet 6 inches long, weighs 477,000 pounds and . . . — Map (db m132958) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #50 — Baltimore & Ohio — 1935 —
Built by General Motors/ General Electric in Erie, Pennsylvania, this 1,800 h.p. locomotive was the first non-articulated, high speed, mainline passenger locomotive on the American railroads. Originally powering the B&O's "Royal Blue" passenger . . . — Map (db m132949) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #5011 — Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe — Cab open for display—Ring bell! —
Built in 1944 by Baldwin Locomotive Works at a cost of $264,681.00, number 5011 is one of the largest non-articulated locomotives ever built, with a total weight over 470 tons. Built for fast freight service, the 5011 has 74" driving wheels-the . . . — Map (db m132979) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #5441 — St. Joe Mining Corporation Ore Train — 1942 —
Built by the Goodman Equipment Corporation to extract lead ore (galena) from the St. Joe Mineral Mines in Bonne Terre, Missouri, these two ton capacity cars were pulled by the eight ton electric locomotive. Power supply came from an overhead source. . . . — Map (db m132899) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #551 — Chicago & Illinois Midland — 1928 —
2-8-2 USRA Light Mikado-Type freight locomotive built by Lima Locomotive Works. During WWI the United States Railroad Administration developed standardized railroad designs and there were thousands of Mikados built. Mikados were considered the "work . . . — Map (db m132925) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #5529 — Canadian National — 1905 —
4-6-2 Pacific type passenger locomotive built by the Locomotive and Machine Works of Montreal, Limited, the Canadian branch of ALCO, the 5529 weighs 346,030 lbs., has brakes on the lead trucks and is an excellent example of early 20th Century . . . — Map (db m132970) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #573 — Wabash — 1899 —
Built by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, this 2-6-0 mogul-type freight locomotive was retained two years after the Wabash had become dieselized because of a bridge which no support the weight of diesel-electric locomotives. Number 573 weighs . . . — Map (db m132953) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #6117 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1917 —
Built by the American Car & Foundry Company for the CB&Q, this 80' day coach was used in mainline and branch service. It is of riveted steel construction and is equipped with axle driven electric generators and mechanical air conditioning. Donated . . . — Map (db m132934) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #662 — Panama Canal — 1914 —
General Electric built this lock-towing locomotive as part of the original equipment for the Panama Canal, the first of a fleet that grew to over 100. Three locks at each end of the canal raised and lowered the ships 85 feet as they passed through . . . — Map (db m132905) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #6944 — Union Pacific — "Centennial" —
The Centennials were built between 1969 & 1971 by the Electro Motive division of General Motors Corporation. The name "Centennial" honors the anniversary of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 1869. Number 6944, built in 1971, . . . — Map (db m133020) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #71 — St. Louis - Southwestern (Cotton Belt) — 1904 —
American Car and Foundry built this 60' long mail/express car for about $8,000. It weighs 80,000 pounds, has a wooden body and its underframe. The turnbuckles that join the two ends of each rod at the center of the car can be adjusted to keep the . . . — Map (db m132985) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #724 — Georgia Railroad — 1896 —
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this six-wheel or 0-6-0 switching locomotive used to move cars in a rail yard or industrial plant. Switchers were meant for low speeds and sharp curves. They usually didn't have leading or trailing wheels, putting . . . — Map (db m132937) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #750 — Missouri Pacific — 1940 —
American Car and Foundry built this lightweight parlor- observation car largely of riveted aluminum, with some low-allow, high-tensile steel. It seats 26 first class passenger in individual reclining and rotating parlor seats, six in the observation . . . — Map (db m132995) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #8 — American Steel Foundries — 1948 —
The Whitcomb Locomotive Company of Rochelle, IL, built this 65-ton industrial switcher, model 65-DE-17-A. It has a B-B classification and cost $49,775. It was built with two Hercules, 4-cycle, 6 cylinder diesel engines that each produced 240 HP, for . . . — Map (db m132977) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #884 — Spokane, Portland & Seattle — 1954 —
The Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway was jointly owned by the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern Railways. This caboose was built by the Northern Pacific Railway at its Brainerd, MN shops, and is equipped with an oil-fired heater and . . . — Map (db m132938) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #9 — "Charles H." - Lake Street Elevated — 1893 —
The Rhode Island Locomotive Works built this 0-4-4T Forney-type locomotive (named for its designer, Matthias N. Forney) for use on a Chicago elevated line. The "T" indicates it is a tank locomotive, without a separate tender. Hundreds of Forney . . . — Map (db m132996) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #900081 — Union Pacific — 1966 —
Designed and built by the Union Pacific Railroad in the Omaha Shop, this rotary snowplow is the heaviest ever built weighing 367,400 lbs. Its cutting wheel could throw snow far to either side of the track as it was pushed forward at four to six . . . — Map (db m133019) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #952 — Delaware, Lackawanna & Western — 1905 —
Built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in Schenectady, NY, this 4-4-0 is a "Camelback" or "Mother Hubbard" locomotive. It gets that name from the engineer's cab being located in its center, above the boiler. This is due to the wide . . . — Map (db m132982) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #95589 — St. Louis Southwestern Maintenance of Way — Wedge Snow Plow —
Made from a steam locomotive's "whale back" tender by removing the fuel tank and placing the plow on the water tank which was filled with rock to weigh it down. The plow would push it through the snow. Donated in 1995 by the Southern Pacific . . . — Map (db m133021) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #96500 — General American Transportation Company — 1965 —
Built by the General American Transportation Corporation, number 96500 is the world's largest tank car. Used for experimental purposes, transporting anhydrous ammonia and lp gas, this "whale belly" unit carried 60,200 gallons, weighs 220 tons fully . . . — Map (db m132950) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #9908 "Silver Charger" — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1939 —
Built by the Budd Company with the engine a 1,000 H.P. 567 diesel built by General Motors' Electro Motive Division. At 80' long and weighing 202,000 lbs. #9908 was the last of the early "Zephyr" trains in which the car body housed the engine and . . . — Map (db m132924) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — #E-2 — Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific — 1920 —
Built by General Electric to pull transcontinental passenger trains through the Cascade Mountains, number E-2 is one of five 1+B-D-D-B+1 "gearless bi-polars" which means the 12 traction motors are mounted directly on the driving axles thus . . . — Map (db m132943) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — ACFX #26640 — American Car & Foundry — 1960 —
Built by American Car & Foundry, this two compartment, 70-ton capacity steel covered hopper was used to carry bulk items which needed protection from the elements. Cement, grain, dry chemicals, and plastic pellets are examples of typical cargo. . . . — Map (db m132930) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Civil War Destruction
The Civil War did not help the Pacific Railroad's finances or construction schedule. Railroads and their destruction were an important strategic element in the battles between North and South; General Sherman's army in its march across Georgia, . . . — Map (db m133001) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Douglas Aircraft C-47A Transport — It's plane to see why this is a Museum favorite!
This twin-engine 1943 Douglas Aircraft product, the military version of the DC-3, is believed to have been used by the United Sates Army Air Force in the World War II invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944. • The plane is painted . . . — Map (db m132915) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood
The First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood was organized, by the grace of God, in September 1854, and has been on this site since 1856. The original brick building was replaced by a stone building in 1889. This tower was the entrance to that stone . . . — Map (db m140844) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Ground-breaking!
On July 4, 1851, over two years after the Missouri State Legislature had chartered the Pacific Railroad, construction finally began. At this point, most Missourians had caught the "railroad fever," rallying behind construction projects. The . . . — Map (db m133006) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Illinois Terminal Neon Sign — Museum of Transportation
This early neon was originally attached to the Central Terminal Building of the Illinois Terminal (IT) Railroad on Twelfth (now Tucker) Boulevard at Delmar in St. Louis, Missouri. The building opened in 1932 and housed the offices of the It as . . . — Map (db m132980) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Jay Gould and the Missouri Pacific
Ten years after the White Line scandal broke, the Missouri Pacific (it had been re-named as other "Pacific" railroads were constructed) was not faring much better than it had in the past. Despite the 1874 construction of the Eads Bridge over the . . . — Map (db m133009) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Kirkwood Depot
In 1852 this land was obtained from Owen Collins by the Pacific Railroad for a right of way and in 1863 a frame depot was built. Here members of the first school board met to draft the charter of the Kirkwood School District which was granted on . . . — Map (db m140848) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — MCHX #117 — Monstanto Chemicals Company — 1940 —
Built by American Car & Foundry Company for Monsanto, this 8,000 gallon, double hull car was designed for transporting concentrated nitric acid, which is extremely corrosive. The inner tank is constructed of an aluminum alloy, which is protected by . . . — Map (db m132933) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — MKT #1 — Missouri-Kansas-Texas — 1882 —
This side-door caboose was rebuilt in 1899, and the renumbered and modified several times in its long life, but its original builder is unknown. It does not have the usual cupola or lookout on its roof, making it more difficult for its crew to . . . — Map (db m132971) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Museum of Transportation - A Layout of the Land
✪ The William R. and Laura Rand Orthwein Education & Visitors Center Opened in 2012, the Orthwein Center houses rotating exhibits, The Creation Station, the Boxcar Boutique Gift & Concession Shop, restrooms, and the Welcome Desk. . . . — Map (db m132895) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Narrow Gauge — Museum of Transportation
In the 1860s a movement toward construction of railways with narrow gauge tracks began in Norway and the British Empire. The first was built to 3' 6" gauge in Norway and opened in 1862. The same gauge was used in India and Queensland (Australia), . . . — Map (db m132923) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Pilot Wheel from the Steamer Capital (1879-1945)
Pilot Wheel from the Steamer Capital 1879-1945 Built in Cincinnati Ohio Three boilers each 47"X28' — 5 flues Stern paddlewheel 21' Diameter 28' buckets 257.2' X 40.6' X 6' Draws 24" light — Map (db m132916) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Pitman Arms from S.S. Admiral — 1940 - 1970
Pitman Arms are used to transfer power from the engines to paddle wheels of steamboats operating as connecting rods. — Map (db m132906) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Remembering the Achievements of James P. Kirkwood — March 27, 1807 - April 22, 1877 — Co-Founder (1852) and Second President (1867-1868) of the American Society of Civil Engineers —
James Pugh Kirkwood was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. He came to the United States in 1832 and was appointed Resident Engineer for the Western Railway of Massachusetts, and later the Long Island Railroad. He won recognition for the rapid construction . . . — Map (db m140854) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Riot in the Tunnels
One of the first projects on the Pacific Railroad was the construction of the first tunnels west of the Mississippi River — the Barretts Tunnels — one of which is currently located on the Museum of Transportation's grounds, about 13 . . . — Map (db m133004) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — SBIX #1634 — Standard Brands Industries — 1938 —
Built by Fleishman Transportation Company (a subsidiary of Standard Brands), this vinegar car tank car was originally constructed of cypress and fir woods. Metal cars could not be used due to the corrosive nature of the vinegar. It was painted . . . — Map (db m132992) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — SL-SF#3000 — St. Louis- San Francisco — 1960 —
Built by the St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) Railway, number 3000 is the first tri-level rack built to carry automobiles. Its inside dimensions are 83' long, 8'6" wide and it used concrete for ballast. Due to vandalism by enclosed automotive . . . — Map (db m132946) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — St. Joe Minerals Corporation Shovel — circa 1922
This "low head Mucker Shovel" was built by the St. Louis Shovel company, which later became the Goodman Equipment Corporation, to meet the specific requirements of the St. Joe Lead Company. In use it simulated the movements of a man using a hand . . . — Map (db m132901) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The "Katy Flyer" — Museum of Transportation
This train began touring the Missouri-Kansas-Texas system with locomotive #311 in 1945. It served as an operating exhibit illustrating the pioneer days and celebrating the 75th anniversary of the line. The "Katy Flyer" was donated by the . . . — Map (db m132973) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Gasconade Bridge Disaster
By 1855, the Pacific Railroad had earned itself a poor reputation. Other railroads were not experiencing the same degree of difficulty in construction. the road was costing more than expected in time and money, leading to a legislative . . . — Map (db m132999) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The H.T. Pott Towboat — Imagine traveling down the Missouri...
You can walk the decks of the "H.T. Pott," the first Missouri River towboat with a welded steel hull instead of a riveted hull. • The vessel, built in 1933, operated out of Kansas City, MO. It is named for Herman T. Pott (1895-1982), . . . — Map (db m132913) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Missouri Pacific Today...
Out of Gould's efforts and despite being disconnected from some links in his system, the Missouri Pacific ultimately flourished in the first half of the 20th century. Through consolidation, leases and further construction, the "Route of the Eagles" . . . — Map (db m133010) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Pacific Railroad Controversy
"As one intrusted with your interests, I felt that your rights had been disregarded, and I did not fail to express my convictions in pretty strong language, to which Mr. Garrison and his associates took great exceptions and have never forgiven . . . — Map (db m133003) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Pacific Railroad of Missouri: Audacious Dreams & Harsh Realities
19th century St. Louis was lucky. Its strategic location along some of "nature's highways," namely the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, turned the region into a center of commerce. By mid century, steamboats had become a dominant form of . . . — Map (db m133012) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Push Poles and Poling
Dimple-like sockets are often found at the lower corner of freight cars, on the ends of locomotive pilot beams and on the rear corners of tenders. These were needed for a type of switching called "poling." The car to be moved was not on the . . . — Map (db m132926) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — The Sellers Turntable
The turntable is one of the most distinctive objects from the steam era of American railroading. It is the most efficient way to turn a steam locomotive around, using less space than any other method. A turntable was often located in the center of a . . . — Map (db m132908) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Tow Boat H.T. Pott — 1932
First all welded steel hull tow boat on the rivers. 58' long, 15' beam, 6' draft and 140 hp diesel. Operated out of Kansas City, MO. — Map (db m132914) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — TTOX #130059 — 1984
This "Front Runner" piggyback car, designed to carry truck trailers, is unusual in a number of ways. It has only four wheels instead of the usual pair of two-axle trucks; its 28-inch diameter wheels are smaller than the 33-inch diameter wheels . . . — Map (db m132944) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — URTX #37144 — Union Refrigerator Transit Lines — 1948 —
Built by General American Transportation Corporation, this car is a steel bodied reefer with ice bunkers at each end. These ice bunkers hold 10,400 lbs. of chunk ice or 11,500 lbs. of crushed ice. Ice stations were located every 100-150 miles along . . . — Map (db m132932) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — UTLX #14387 — Union Tank Line — 1910 —
Built by the Union Tank Car Company, this 6500 gallon petroleum car is an early attempt to build a tank car without a full-length underframe. Short frames at each end attached the tank to the wheels and couplers. The tank itself was constructed of . . . — Map (db m132927) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — UTLX #3882 — Union Tank Line — 1936 —
Built by Union Tank Line, this triple dome tank car is typical of most built until the late 1960's. Each dome is the entry and fill point for a separate compartment which is emptied at the bottom. All three compartments were equipped with steam . . . — Map (db m132929) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — West Barretts Tunnel — 1851-53 & 1929
The first railroad tunnels west of the Mississippi River are located at Barretts, MO, which is the name for the station where we are located. They were built between 1851-53 by the Pacific Railroad of Missouri, renamed the Missouri Pacific in 1876. . . . — Map (db m132976) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — What Does "Bi-Polar" Mean?
This electric locomotive uses a drive system that eliminates the gearing normally used between the motor and axle. It does this by making the axle part of the motor itself. The armature of the motor is mounted on the axle, and the motor's poles and . . . — Map (db m132942) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — What Is Standard Gauge? — Museum of Transportation
The distance between the inner edges of the rails is called the gauge of a railroad. The standard gauge used in North America is 4' 8½." This is also the gauge in most of Europe, including Great Britain, the birthplace of railways. The . . . — Map (db m132922) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Who Is Owney The Dog?
Owney, the 'unofficial' mascot of the United State Postal Service, was the first dog to travel around the world. During the late 1800's Owney traveled with mail carriers first on mail trucks, then steamships. While traveling around the world, Owney . . . — Map (db m132896) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — 4th Marine Division — W. W. II 1943 - 1945 — Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue —

Dedicated to the memory of those who served with the Fourth Marine Division

Roi-Namur Feb. 1, 1944 Siapan [sic] June 15, 1944 Tinian July 24, 1944 Iwo Jima Feb. 19, 1945

Dedicated Sept. 24, 2005 — Map (db m124966) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — 4th Marine Division — W. W. II 1943 - 1945 — Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue —
Dedicated to the memory of those who served with the Fourth Marine Division

Roi-Namur Feb. 1, 1944 Siapan [sic] June 15, 1944 Tinian July 24, 1944 Iwo Jima Feb. 19, 1945

Dedicated Sept. 24, 2005 — Map (db m124967) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — 82nd Airborne Infantry Division US Army
To our honored dead and to all soldiers who have served their country in the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division.

Activated 25 August 1917 as the 82nd "All American" Infantry Division. Participated in the Lorraine, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne . . . — Map (db m124968) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — All Sea Service Women — Dedicated To
Yeoman F. • Navy Nurses WAVES • Spars Navy Women • Women Marines

Dedicated May 9, 1998 — Map (db m124969) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Civil War Memorial — 1861 • 1865 — Fraternity • Charity • Loyalty —
. . . — Map (db m124970) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Civil War Union Women Memorial — 1861 • Lest We Forget • 1865 — Fraternity • Charity • Loyalty —
To honor the Union Women who fought on the battlefields, nursed and comforted the sick and dying, and sacrificed their own lives to preserve our nation

Dedicated June 2, 1996 — Map (db m124971) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery
Military Prison in St. Louis St. Louis had two small Civil War prisons, each housing several hundred persons. Gratiot Street Prison was the former McDowell Medical College, located near Eighth and Gratiot streets and the Mississippi River. . . . — Map (db m124972) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Destroyer Escort and A.P.D. Sailors — Trim But Deadly — WWII • Korea • Vietnam —
In memory of Navy and Coast Guard Sailors who served on Destroyer Escort and A.P.D. Ships

Dedicated Oct. 25, 2003 — Map (db m124973) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Fallen Marines and FMF Corpsmen Hero Memorial
Dedicated to and in remembrance of the Marines and FMF Corpsmen who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom

Dedicated September 28, 2013 —————————— No better friend, . . . — Map (db m124974) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Missouri's Civil War 1861 - 1865
The Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery was established by joint resolution of Congress in 1866, among the first burial grounds officially designated in the wake of the Civil War. Under the care of the Veterans Administration, the facility is . . . — Map (db m124986) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Michael Joseph Blassie — Originally Unknown Vietnam Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery
Front Michael Joseph Blassie 1st Lt. US Air Force Vietnam Apr 4 1948 May 11, 1972 Beloved Son and Brother

Back Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, Air Medal and 4 OLC. Killed in Action-Unknown Soldier May 28, . . . — Map (db m124995) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Minnesota Civil War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m124975) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Navy Seabees — United States Navy Civil Engineer Corps — We Build We Fight —
With willing hearts and skillful hands the difficult we do at once The impossible takes a bit longer

Seabees Can Do — Map (db m124976) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — The Chosin Few — November 1950 December
They who died are the Chosen Ones We who survive are the Chosin Few

KIA — 3,375 WIA — 6,000 MIA — 192 — Map (db m124977) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Third Infantry Division - U.S. Army — "Nous Resterons La"
The Third Infantry Division was organized on November 21, 1917, and was in France by March, 1918. On July 18 it distinguished itself in defense at the Marne River at Chateau-Thierry, 45 miles northeast of Paris. Thus, the proud motto: "Rock of . . . — Map (db m124978) HM WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — To The Confederate Dead 1861 - 1865
Who knows but it may be given to us, after this life, to meet again in the old quarters, to play chess and draughts, to get up soon to answer the morning roll call, to fall in at the tap of the drum for drill and dress parade and again to hastily . . . — Map (db m124979) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — U.S. Army Air Forces Air Crash Victims May 13, 1945
Died May 13 1945 in an air crash Hidden Valley Dutch New Guinea

MAJ Herman F Antonini Illinois June 4 1915

MAJ Phillip J Dattilo Kentucky March 18 1914

PFC Alethia M Fair California September 16, 1894

CAPT Louis . . . — Map (db m124980) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — U.S. Submariners Lost in World War II
This monument is dedicated to the 52 United States Submarines lost during World War II and their crewmen and officers who perished in that war.

Erected in 2003 by the surviving members of the Ill-Mo Rebel Squadron, a chapter of . . . — Map (db m124981) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — United States Marine Corps — "Uncommon Valor Was a Common Virtue" — "In Service to God and County" —
. . . — Map (db m124983) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — Victims of the Japanese Massacre — Puerto Princesa, Palawan, P.I. [Philippine Islands] — December 14, 1944 —
These U.S. prisoners of war of the Japanese were on the island of Palawan, P.I. as slave laborers building an airfield for the Japanese military. Believing that an invasion by the U.S. forces was imminent, the prisoners were forced into three tunnel . . . — Map (db m124984) HM WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Lemay — World War II Merchant Marine Seamen and Navy Armed Guard Memorial — In Peace And War
Dedicated to the memory of Merchant Marine Seamen and Navy Armed Guard who gave their lives in World War II in the service of their country

United States Merchant Marine World War II Losses Ships - 731 Merchant Seamen - . . . — Map (db m124985) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — 66 Park-In Theater — 1947-1994 — Crestwood, MO —
Not just movies attracted patrons to this open-air theatre advertising "cool breezes" before the advent of air-conditioning. Pony rides, a Ferris wheel and a trained bear cub served as amusements. "The 66" was dubbed "the passion pit" by local teens. — Map (db m139578) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Chain Of Rocks Bridge — 1929-1970
Chain Of Rocks Bridge 1929-1970 Saint Louis,MO Only a drop in scrap metal prices in the early 1970's saved this relic from demolition. The bridge brought high volumes of drivers across the Mississippi until the early 1960's. No longer . . . — Map (db m139688) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Citizens National Bank — 1915-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Surviving the Great Depression and a fire, Citizens National Bank offered the first walk-up and drive-up window service in the Midwest. The bank has served as a model of corporate citizenship, providing invaluable support to the City of Maplewood. — Map (db m139671) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Coral Court — 1941-1993 — Marlboroough, MO —
Rooms with private garages renting for four to eight hours at a time crystallized racy reputation of mythical proportions for this 77-room motor inn. The rate structure was created for tired truckers, but a more discreet clientele were attracted. — Map (db m139536) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Empire Supply — 1931-Present
Empire Supply 1931-Present Maplewood,MO

William Loomstein, a former Russian Czar guard who endured the Great Depression, started anew as a purveyor of paint and hardware the same year the Empire State Building opened. The 3rd generation . . . — Map (db m139670) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Fun Fair Park — 1927-1977 — Saint Louis, MO —
Originally eyed for the 1904 World's Fair, the area just west of the Chain of Rocks Bridge became a lively amusement park. Attractions included a hand-carved 46-horse carousel, "The Swooper" an oval-shaped Ferris wheel and "The Comet" roller coaster. — Map (db m139659) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Jay B. Smith Funeral Home — 1932-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Originally Sarah Sutton Harrison's home (c.1890), the mansion was transformed into a funeral home by Jay B. Smith and purchased by John B. Hardy in 1967. The 2nd generation of the Hardy family remains at the helm as a devoted corporate citizen. — Map (db m139558) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Kalb Electric — 1909-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Kalb Electric has been family-owned and operated for more than a century. Originally, the business provided electrical services and hardware. Since 1956, the company has sold lighting fixtures and lamp parts and offered repair services. — Map (db m139685) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Katz Drug Store — 1914-1971 — Various Locations —
The neon cat sign was a prominent fixture that smiled down on many a traveler along Route 66. Pioneering the model for the mass market drug store, Katz held a significant place in Maplewood's historic landscape post-dating the original alignment era. — Map (db m139519) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Saratoga Lanes — 1916-Present — Maplewood, MO —
The Saratoga Billiards & Bowling Alley is the oldest of its kind west of the Mississippi. An "upstair-zer", the 8-lane bowling alley has provided fun for generations of bowlers, pool players, travelers and socialites making it a treasured landmark. — Map (db m139579) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Scheidt Hardware — 1905-Present
Scheidt Hardware 1905-Present Maplewood,MO Emil and Rosa Scheidt began their business as Wohlwend Hardware. The current store was originally the Maplewood Theatre, c.1910. The sloping floor was leveled in 1916 and marks from the rows of . . . — Map (db m139687) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Sunnen Products Company — 1924-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Joe Sunnen and his wife, Cornelia, sold valve tools from their truck with little more than a spirit to succeed. Today, the firm is the world's largest integrated precision bore sizing company and they played a key role in Maplewood's redevelopment. — Map (db m139522) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — The Wedge — 1893-1972 — Maplewood, MO —
Built as an early turn-around for the horse-drawn trolley lines from St. Louis, the building saw many changes in its eight-decade existence. It later served as a grocery, a saloon and finally E.J. Tire Store (c. 1921) until its demolition. — Map (db m139518) HM

361 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 161
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2020