Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Martin Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Stephanie-Martin Duralde House Marker image, Touch for more information
October 7, 2016
Stephanie-Martin Duralde House Marker
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Arnaudville — Stephanie-Martin Duralde House
On Bushville Highway (State Highway 347) 0.2 miles south of Blake Genelle Road, on the right when traveling south.
Martin Duralde, commandant at Opelousas Post from 1795 to 1803, was the leading political figure in southwestern LA the last years of the Spanish Era. Duralde occupied and developed a 1423 acre tract along the Upper Teche by 1781. He served as . . . — Map (db m98859) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Atchafalaya — Atchafalaya RiverAtchafalaya Welcome Center — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
Near Atchafalaya River Highway (State Highway 3177) at Interstate 10.
The levee that surround this section of the lower Atchafalaya Floodway are about 15 miles apart and were built in the 1930s. Their construction- and the straightening of the Atchafalaya River in this area- forever changed the Atchafalaya . . . — Map (db m114176) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Atchafalaya — Louisiana Airborne Memorial Bridge
On Atchafalaya River Higway (State Highway 3177) near Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south.
"The Atchafalaya elevated expressway is hereby designated the Louisiana Airborne Memorial Bridge in honor of the brave members and veterans of the Airborne forces and the patriotic spirit they represent...."

The Legislature of Louisiana Act . . . — Map (db m114177) WM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — American AlligatorAlligator mississippiensis
On Rookery Road east of Prairie Highway (State Highway 353), on the left when traveling east.
Cypress Island Preserve supports many alligators, including in some of the largest in Louisiana. While visiting the preserve between March and October, you may see alligators up to 10-15 feet long along the western edge of Lake Martin. Alligators . . . — Map (db m114500)
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Birthplace of Bishop Jules Jeanmard/Lieu de Naissance de L'Évêque Jules Jeanmard
On East Bridge Street (Louisiana Route 336-1).
English Side Located one block south at 123 Van Buren Street is the birthplace of the first bishop of the Diocese of Lafayette, Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard. Born August 15, 1879, Jeanmard belonged to St. Bernard Church where he received baptism, . . . — Map (db m129998) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Breaux Bridge/Pont-Breaux
On Main Highway (State Highway 31) south of Courthouse Street, on the right when traveling south.
English: Founded 1859. Long recognized for its culinary artistry in the preparation of crawfish. The 1958 Louisiana Legislature officially designated Breaux Bridge "La Capitale Mondiale De L'Ecrevisse" in honor of its centennial year. . . . — Map (db m125810) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Cajun Warrior
On Berard Street/Main Highway (State Highway 31) north of Courthouse Street, on the right when traveling north.
Breaux Bridge has a long, rich and proud military heritage. It has given generously to our nation of its men and women, many of whom were decorated for bravery, some achieved positions of great responsibility and unfortunately, many gave their . . . — Map (db m130189) HM WM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Legend of Bayou Teche/La Legendè Du Bayou Teche
On St. Bernard Street north of East Bridge Street.
Many, many years ago, there was a huge and venomous snake. It was so large and so long that its size was not measured in feet, but in miles. Its head was at what is now known as Morgan City and its body stretched beyond St. Martinville and Breaux . . . — Map (db m129967) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Most Rev. Jules B. Jeanmard, D.D.1879-1957
On North Main Street north of East Bridge Street, on the right when traveling north.
First native Diocesan Priest from Breaux Bridge, LA. Ordained June 10, 1903 First Bishop of the Diocese of Lafayette Consecrated Dec. 8, 1918 — Map (db m130192) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Mulate's
On West Mills Avenue (State Highway 94) 0.3 miles west of Main Highway (State Highway 31), on the left when traveling west.
This world famous institution is recognized for its role in the preservation and restoration of our Cajun culture and heritage. It ranks today as one of Breaux Bridge's most prominent landmarks — Map (db m49067) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Poché'sLandmarked for the preservation of our Cajun Cuisine
On Main Highway (State Highway 31) at Poche Bridge Road, on the left when traveling west on Main Highway.
Poché's is noted for the preparation of the culinary foods, boudin and gratons. It is from the Antoine Poché family ca. 1859 that originates the name of this village, Poché Bridge. — Map (db m111729) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Pont Breaux, Louisiane(Breaux Bridge)
On Bridge Street near Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Named for the Firmin Breaux Family

Settled by Acadians ca. 1766, Founded 1829, Incorporated 1859. — Map (db m129777) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Scholastique Picou Breaux(1796 - 1846)
On Berard Street (State Highway 31) at Martin Street, on the right when traveling west on Berard Street.
Scholastique Picou Breaux founded our wonderful city when she was just 33 years old. A determined Acadian woman, she drew up Plan de la Ville du Pont Breaux, the plan for the Village of Breaux Bridge. Her plan included land for a school, a church, a . . . — Map (db m85949) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — St. Bernard's Catholic Church
On North Mainn Street at Courthouse Street, on the left when traveling west on North Mainn Street.
Breaux Bridge's first Catholic chapel was built in 1841. In 1847, St. Bernard's Parish was established and our first substantial church was erected in 1857. This church, built in 1933-34 by local craftsmen, was the pinnacle of Rev. P.A. Borel's . . . — Map (db m85948) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Bridge of 1852
On St. Bernard Street, on the left when traveling south.
This turntable bridge was built in 1852 and replaced in 1891. The bridge was moved 3 miles downstream and served as a crossing for the community of Ruth until 1992. The bridge was in place when Breaux Bridge was incorporated on March 14, . . . — Map (db m129778) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Pellerin-Chauffe House1896
On South Poydras Highway (State Highway 347) 0.2 miles north of Delcambre Road, on the right when traveling north.
This Queen Anne Revival cottage was built in 1896 by Edmond Pellerin. The carpenter, Emile Bergeron, built the entire house of local cypress and the house remains the finest example of rural farm life in Breaux Bridge at the end of the 19th . . . — Map (db m129779) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Valery Thibodeaux HouseCA. 1853
On Poydras Highway (State Highway 347) near Ada Street, on the right when traveling north.
This beautiful Acadian home and grounds was the site chosen by Maj. A. Gallway, 173rd N.Y. Volunteers for the encampment of his Union Troops, April 21, 1863.

This house has been continuously occupied by Valery Thibodeaux's descendants since the . . . — Map (db m129966) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Wetlands
On Rookery Road east of Prairie Highway (State Highway 353), on the left when traveling east.
Wetlands are described simply as any area that floods regularly and supports plants that are adapted to flooding. Wetlands have been disappearing at an alarming rate in the United States and elsewhere. For example, although Louisiana only accounts . . . — Map (db m114492) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Butte La Rose — Atchafalaya RiverButte La Rose Boat Landing — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Herman Dupis Road near Atchafalaya River Parkway (State Highway 3177), on the right.
The Atchafalaya River is North America’s fifth-largest river according to discharge and, together with the Mississippi, accounts for about 90 percent of the freshwater discharge into the Gulf of Mexico.

The Atchafalaya River is North . . . — Map (db m114219) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Cade — Site of Camp Pratt
On West Old Spanish Trail (State Highway 182) 1 mile from Spanish Lake Road (Parish Road 123), on the right when traveling north.
From 1862-1863 Camp Pratt was official Confederate camp of conscription and instruction for South Louisiana. At one time as many as 3,000 conscripts here. A small compound for Union prisoners of war also located at the camp. — Map (db m49295) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Cecilia — Louis Hebert
On Bushville Highway (State Highway 347) at Hilda Calais Road, on the right when traveling north on Bushville Highway.
Approximately 100 yards to the West is the probable resting place of General Louis Hebert, C.S.A. Born in Iberville Parish in 1820, Hebert was graduated from West Point in 1845 third in his class. After an army service of two years, he resigned to . . . — Map (db m84916) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Coteau Holmes — Lake Dauterive1,000 Year-Old Cypress — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Bayou Benoit Road (State Road 169) 4.3 miles south of Bayou Alexander Highway (State Highway 3083), on the left when traveling south.
Lake Dauterive is home to one of the oldest documented cypress trees in Louisiana. The approximately 1,000-year-old tree has a circumference of 17 feet and a diameter of 5.4 feet.

Though named as two separate lakes, Lake Dauterive and Lake . . . — Map (db m120925) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), Henderson — Atchafalaya FloodwayHenderson — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
Near Henderson Levee Road east of Main Street (State Highway 352), on the right when traveling north.
Annual flooding in the Acthafalaya Basin provides an ideal crawfish habitat. Today, most of Louisiana's crawfish production comes from farms, but the Basin still leads in the production of wild-caught crawfish.

The Atchafalaya Basin is one . . . — Map (db m114220) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinsville — Oak and Pine Alley
On Catahoula Highway (State Highway 96) at Pine Alley Drive, on the right when traveling north on Catahoula Highway.
Charles Durand, Pre-Civil War sugar planter, credited with planting this alley. In legend a family wedding party rode down the alley canopied by giant spider webs dusted gold and silver. Ca 1795-99 Spanish Grant to Jacques Fontenette. — Map (db m101673) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Alligators!Beware: Wild and Dangerous
Near Levee Road (Parish Road 169) 8 miles south of Bayou Alexander Highway (State Highway 3083), on the right when traveling south.
Alligators have been around since the age of the dinosaurs. Found only in the southeastern United States, American alligators inhabit freshwater lakes, ponds, rivers, marshes, swamps, and bayous. Oftentimes you may only see their eyes, heads or . . . — Map (db m115603)
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Attakapa Indian
On Main Street (State Highway 31) on Main Street.
Roving savage tribe who settled here prior to the French, partly Christianized and civilized by missionaries. Dedicated November 5, 1961. — Map (db m66369) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Bayou TecheMagnolia Park — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Magnolia Drive (State Road 736) 1 mile east of North Main Street (State Highway 31).
Numerous towns, villages and cities border Bayou Teche and serve as reminders of the waterway's importance as an early transportation corridor.

Central to the ecology, economy and spirit of Louisiana is the network of waterways—rivers, . . . — Map (db m115683) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Deportation CrossLe Croix de la Déportation
Near South New Market Street south of East Bridge Street (Highway 96), on the left when traveling south.
The original Deportation Cross, near Grand-Pré National Historic Site in Nova Scotia is located in the vicinity of the embarkation of the victims of the Acadian Diaspora of 1755. Dedicated on July 24, 1924.

La Croix originelle de la . . . — Map (db m85293) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Evangeline Monument
Near E. Bridge Street (State Highway 96), on the right when traveling west.
Evangeline, the prototype of the Acadian maiden, was immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in his epic poem of the same name. The monument was donated by Delores del Rio after she starred in the motion picture production of Evangeline which was . . . — Map (db m94314) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Evangeline Oak
On Port Street near S New Market Street.
Longfellow's poem "Evangeline" immortalized the tragedy of the Acadian exile from Nova Scotia in 1755. This oak marks the legendary meeting place of Emmeline Labiche and Louis Arceneaux, the counterparts of Evangeline and Gabriel. — Map (db m66354) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow(1807 - 1882) — "Poet of the People" —
On Port Street near S New Market Street.
He was a man of great social consciousness. In works like Evangeline and Hiawatha and his collection of anti-slavery poems Longfellow helped to preserve cultural memory. From remarks by Dr. Layne Longfellow at the unveiling in . . . — Map (db m66363) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Judge Émile Édouard (Edward) Simon1824-1914
On Port Street near S New Market Street.
A native of St. Martinville, Simon studied law at Harvard under Joseph Story and Simon Greenleaf, earning his degree in 1846. As 14th Judicial District Judge from 1853 to 1865, Simon was to become the second of four generations of judges. While . . . — Map (db m66359) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Lake Fausse PointeLake Fausse Pointe State Park — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Levee Road (Parish Road 163) 8 miles south of Bayou Alexander Highway (State Highway 3083).
Once connected to the Atchafalaya River, Lake Fausse Pointe was cut off from the river's flow and sediment deposits once the Atchafalaya Basin levees were completed in the 1930s. The lake's shape has remained the same ever since.

Though . . . — Map (db m115555) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Lake MartinCypress Island Preserve — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
Near Prairie Highway (State Highway 353) south of Rookery Road, on the left when traveling south.
In the early 1950s, a five mile levee was built around a naturally occurring open body of water within a cypress-tupelo swamp to hold water throughout the year. This created Lake Martin as it is known today.

Located in the heart of Acadian . . . — Map (db m114538) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Maison Olivier
On North Main Street (State Highway 31) near Longfellow-Evangeline Entrance Road, on the left when traveling south.
Raised Creole cottage constructed circa 1815 using boussillage, pegged cypress beams and bricks hand made by slaved using clay from Bayou Teche. — Map (db m115679) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Notre Dame De Perpetuel Secours Church(Established in 1938)
On St. Martin Street at Gray Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Martin Street.
This parish was one of the sites proposed by Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard, Bishop of the Diocese of Lafayette, to afford a place of work for African-American priests ordained in the United States in 1934. Rev. Maurice Rousseve, SVD and his . . . — Map (db m125811) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — On This Site Lie Buried Officers of The Attakapas Militia
Near South Main Street (State Highway 31) near East Bridge Street (State Highway 96).
On this site lie buried officers of The Attakapas Militia serving under General Bernardo Galvez In the march to and capture of Baton Rouge and Manchac September 1779. Commandant Alexandre-Chevalier de Clouet Major Louis Du Crest Corporal Jean . . . — Map (db m104468) HM WM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — Spanish LakeOld Spanish Trail
On Spanish Lake Road south of West Old Spanish Trail (State Highway 182), on the right when traveling east.
Spanish Lake is an example of a bluff lake, which forms in areas between the bayou bank and the higher bank that runs along the edge of a river's drainage area.

Spanish Lake, formerly called Lake Flamand and later Lake Tasse (meaning . . . — Map (db m115825) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — St. Martin Catholic Church
On South Main Street.
One of the oldest in the state. Established in 1765 by Rev. Jean Francois, Capuchin priest and missionary. It is just the same as when it was built having been repaired but not changed. — Map (db m71584) HM
Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — St. Martinville
On Main Street (State Highway 31) on Main Street.
Side A (English) City developed c.1795 ~ c.1890 through unusual semi-feudal arrangement where town property holders paid an "annual and perpetual" rent to the congregation of St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church.

Side B (French) . . . — Map (db m66367) HM

Louisiana (St. Martin Parish), St. Martinville — The Old Castillo Hotel
On Evangeline Boulevard (State Highway 96) at South New Market Street, on the right when traveling east on Evangeline Boulevard.
This building erected 1835-40. As an inn it welcomed travelers and was a center for the town's social activities. Since its purchase in 1899 by the Sisters of Mercy, it has been used as a private school. It was placed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m85292) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement