Located on this site was the frontier town of Florence, which was incorporated on December 14, 1837 after the Creek Indians burned the nearby town of Roanoke in 1836. Florence was originally named Liverpool after the English port city. For many . . . — — Map (db m46277) HM
Built in the 1850’s, the school was operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until it was sold to Stewart County in 1895.
The building is believed to have been used for church services until the handsome building to the south was . . . — — Map (db m39157) HM
Originally Antioch, the town developing at the terminus of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery (Little SAM) Railroad, was renamed Louvale in 1886.
Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, founded 1832 in Pleasant Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap . . . — — Map (db m39159) HM
The Bedingfield Inn or Tavern was constructed on this site in 1836 by Dr. Bryan N. Bedingfield as a family residence and stagecoach stop. It was a center for commercial and community activities and a one-day's travel from Columbus, Fort Gaines, . . . — — Map (db m24786) HM
This handsome structure as built in 1895 in the Classical style made popular by the buildings housing the Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893-94) to which Lumpkin-born architect John Wellborn Root was a major contributor. It replaced a wooden . . . — — Map (db m35044) HM
Near here on the old Fort Gaines Road, the first Monday in August 1829, at the home of Allen and Jeanette (Roby) Wamble, was held the first Inferior Court for Randolph County which, at that time, included Stewart, Webster and Randolph Counties. . . . — — Map (db m35178) HM
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th . . . — — Map (db m23459) HM
John Wellborn Root (1850-1891), world famous architect, was born on this site. The son of Mary Clark and Sidney Root, he was educated in Lumpkin, Atlanta, New York, and Claremont and Oxford in England. A pioneer in some phases of architecture, he . . . — — Map (db m46426) HM
Lumpkin, named for Wilson Lumpkin, Governor, Congressman and Senator, first the County Seat of Randolph County, became the Seat of Government of Stewart County when that county was constituted from Randolph December 23, 1830. On a hill between two . . . — — Map (db m39421) HM
This school, established in 1852 by members of Cross Lodge No. 12 Masons for the purpose of educating girls, was a leading educational center for 30 years. Located on land purchased from Willard and Hollis Boynton, when completed it had an endowment . . . — — Map (db m46390) HM
On a 10 acre plot of land in the exact center of the county was located, in 1830, the first permanent Methodist Camp Meeting Ground in Stewart County.
It was given by Loverd Bryan to be held and owned by the church as long as it was regularly used . . . — — Map (db m46334) HM
Trickles of water running down old Indian paths to springs formed the Providence Canyons, natural wonders of the Southeast.
These canyons, named for an old church that had to be moved out of their path, are often called “Little Grand . . . — — Map (db m46392) HM
Providence Church, when first organized, 1832-33, was a log building on the south side of the road. Two acres were donated by David Lowe for a church and school (Providence Academy). This land is now between two of the canyons. The present building . . . — — Map (db m12146) HM
Near this place Rev. David Walker Lowe built a home for his wife Jane Dorsey not long after 1825. He had been a Methodist circuit rider in the S. C. conference, later in the Ga. conference. Born July 22, 1794 in Warren Co., Ga., he was organizer and . . . — — Map (db m15737) HM
This building was erected in 1831 in NW Lumpkin to house the “Stewart County Academy,” the first academy in the county. In 1842, it became the “Lumpkin Independent Academy” for boys only, owned by local stockholders. In 1841, . . . — — Map (db m46660) HM
(Side One): On October 12, 1973 an informal group of fifty persons, having an interest in several areas of academic research, met at Westville's Yellow Creek campmeeting tabernacle for a three day symposium to discuss a subject of mutual . . . — — Map (db m21857) HM
On this site was fought the battle of Shepherd's Plantation between Creek Indians and pioneer settlers aided by volunteer soldiers stationed at Forts Ingersol, Jones and McCreary under Major Henry W. Jernigan and Captain Hamilton Garmany. . . . — — Map (db m46361) HM
Fort Jones, a stockade fort built during the Creek uprising of 1836, stood on this site. After the burning of Roanoke, the frightened settlers sought refuge in its blockhouse, built of upright skinned logs with high windows for gun holes. The fort . . . — — Map (db m46284) HM
One mile north of here is the site of Fort McCreary built for the defense of Georgia’s frontier along the Chattahoochee River. During the Creek Indian War of 1836 it was garrisoned by the U. S. soldiers and Georgia Volunteers under command of Gen. . . . — — Map (db m46276) HM
Three miles west on the Chattahoochee River was Oconee Village, home of the Oconee Indians from 1715 to 1799. Their Chief Oueekachumfa or Long King signed the treaty with General Oglethorpe at Cowetah, August 21, 1739. In the 1750s, led by Chief . . . — — Map (db m117032) HM
Roanoke, ½ mile west of here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River was originally an Indian village. Incorporated in 1832 with about 30 families, a post office and several stores, it became a thriving white settlement. Roanoke was . . . — — Map (db m46280) HM
In 1832 Henry Audulf gave 8 acres of this land for two churches and a cemetery. A native of Germany, Audulf was the first settler here. Methodist and Baptist churches were built. A few years later both were destroyed by a tornado. Only the . . . — — Map (db m23426) HM
On this corner, in a long building, was Richland’s first post office and a shoe shop. John Audulph, son of Henry Audulph, first settler, was appointed postmaster of Chisholm, Apr. 16, 1839. Six months later, Nov. 26, 1839, Chisholm became Richland, . . . — — Map (db m46656) HM
Clement Anselm Evans, Brig. Gen. C.S.A., soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author was born 3/4 miles W. of here in 1834. Admitted to the bar at 18, elected county judge at 21, state senator at 25, he became a Brig. Gen. and was severely wounded . . . — — Map (db m46332) HM
First settled in 1827, Richland was named for the home district of several pioneer families from South Carolina. The community became a busy railroad junction when the Savannah. Americus and Montgomery, and the Columbus Southern rail lines met here . . . — — Map (db m10152) HM
The first Christian Church in Georgia was constituted at this site in 1837. Services were held early in the 1830's by Rev. George Lynch Smith, first under a brush arbor and later in the log schoolhouse. This building, then two-story, was erected in . . . — — Map (db m12802) HM
Richland Baptist Church, constituted about 1830, was located on land given by Henry Audulph, first settler of Richland. A baptismal pool was built near a spring in the park. Here the Bethel Baptist Assn. was organized Nov. 23, 1833 by the Rev. . . . — — Map (db m46864) HM