Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sullivan County New York Historical Markers

 
Marker in Barryville image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, July 3, 2009
Marker in Barryville
New York (Sullivan County), Barryville — Brant’s Camp
The Mohawk leader of raid on Minisink (Port Jervis) camped here July 21, 1779. Pursuing Militia camped 3 miles up this same brook. — Map (db m20493) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Bethel — Max and Miriam Yasgur
The former home of Max and Miriam Yasgur Elliot Tiber brought Woodstock Ventures to this home in 1969 to lease the festival site Dedicated to the memory of Max Yasgur Yasgur Road Productions — Map (db m105725) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Bethel — Woodstock Music and Arts Fair
This is the original site of the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair held on Aug 15, 16, 17, 1969. Peace and Music Wayne C. Saward sculptor On Stage Performers. Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie; Joan Baez; Joe Cocker; Ravi Shankar; Janis . . . — Map (db m18323) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Callicoon — Erie Train StationCallicoon

Welcome Iron Horse

The Erie Railroad Company was incorporated on the 24th of April 1832. Active work began in 1836 but with rugged hills, mountain barriers, spanning rivers and deep ravines with bridges and viaducts, political . . . — Map (db m121835) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Callicoon — Kautz Memorial Building

Given in 1970 to house the Delaware Free Library by Pauline M. Kautz in memory of her beloved husband Charles P. Kautz — Map (db m121765) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Callicoon — St. James Church and Rectory

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

1994 — Map (db m121762) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Callicoon — Town of DelawareUpper Delaware Scenic Byway

The Upper Delaware Scenic Byway (New York State Route 97) follows the Upper Delaware River through the western parts of Delaware, Sullivan, and Orange Counties. This unique highway connects the rafting and bluestone village of Hancock to . . . — Map (db m121838) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Cochecton — Heirsville(1809-1826)

By deed Mrs. Oliver Calkin gave ten lots to each six children on Cochecton Newburg Turnpike to be called Heirsville. Name changed to Cochecton 1826. — Map (db m121740) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Cochecton — Jersey Claim Line

On N.Y. shore of Delaware River stands "Station Rock" northern extremity of land claimed by Jersey 1719-1769[.] Line caused many armed clashes between Yorkers and Jerseymen. — Map (db m121761) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Agnes DeMille1905-1993
Author & Choreographer. Her works include the autobiography "Dance to the Piper" & dances for the show "Oklahoma" — Map (db m57797) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Handy Family
Handy Family. Burial place of Handy Family. Believed to be Forestburgh's first settlers. David Handy died in 1814. — Map (db m57804) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — HartwoodFormerly Called Trotters
Hartwood, Formerly called "Trotters" from a tannery on this site. Renamed by an early settler, Clowes,in honor of his wife's father, Reverend Hart. — Map (db m57801) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Here Stood Gillman's Depot
Here stood Gillman's depot named for owner of nearby sawmills and tanneries. Station served railroad running from Port Jervis to Monticello 1871-1858 — Map (db m57656) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Here Stood one of the Stage Coach Stations
Here stood one of the stage coach stations placed at regular intervals for the exchange of teams on Mount Hope-Lumberland Turnpike. Chartered 1812 to run from Mount Hope to the Delaware — Map (db m57795) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Indian Raid
Two children of John Brooks and son-in-law Joseph Hubbard, were killed here by Brant's Mohawks and Tories, 1778 — Map (db m57803) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Log CabinHistorical Monument
Circa 1834. Discovered when a section of a farmhouse was demolished. It was purchased by the Town & moved to this location in 1987. Before the Town was created, a primitive school was functioning in the cabin. — Map (db m57794) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Moore's Turning Mill and Saw Mill
Site of Moore's Turning Mill and Saw Mill operated by Alec Moore from 1870-1899 — Map (db m57655) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Oakland Valley School District #3
One of the seven schools established in 1837. It was a joint district serving children in Oakland Valley and Orange County. The school term was three months, 20 days. In 1866 it had an enrollment of 82 pupils. It closed in 1943. — Map (db m57802) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Ruddick Pond
Named for John Ruddick, 1854 Town Supervisor, who took over area called French Mill. Later served by the former Birchwood Post Office. William Mitchell was last Postmaster. — Map (db m57654) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Saint Josephs
Founded in 1886 by the Sisters of St. Dominc. Saint Josephs was established on property purchased from the estate of millionaire Thomas Hunt Talmadge. Through vision and sacrifice, the Sisters developed a community that included a convent, chapel, . . . — Map (db m57799) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Saint Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church
Was built on land donated by Thomas Woods & consecrated on August 7, 1900. Father Vincent Arcese, Rector of Saint Josephs' Convent & Sanatorium served as pastor from 1900 until his death in 1946. Humphrey Toomey and Michael Galligan served as the . . . — Map (db m57798) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Site of Methodist Church
Site of Methodist Church organized 1838. First place of worship in Forestburgh. Building erected 1859. — Map (db m57796) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Stephen Crane’s Pond
Here at the home of his brother Edmund, the author of The Red Badge of Courage lived and wrote in the early 1890s. — Map (db m57800) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Forestburgh — Town Hall Site
On May 7, 1895 Ezra and Sarah Cray Reed deeded 1/4 acre to the town for the town hall site. The original town hall was erected at a cost of $400.00 and was destroyed by fire sparked by "firing up" a steam roller kept in a nearby shed. The . . . — Map (db m57805) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Hankins — Hankins

In 1834 John Hankins bought the land now called Hankins. He built the first store, blacksmith shop and sawmill—main industry lumbering. Was Justice of Peace and then Supervisor of the town in 1851[.] Erie R.R. named it Hankins Station. — Map (db m121873) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Hankins — Philip F. GottschalkIn Memory Of
. . . — Map (db m121912) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — Hospital RockRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
Hospital Rock is the most historically significant place on the battleground. Once Brant’s men broke the Americans’ defensive square late in the afternoon, it was in the shadow of this rock that Lt. Col. Benjamin Tusten, a physician from Goshen, and . . . — Map (db m20513) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — In Memory of Our Fallen HeroesRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
Although two attempts to recover the bodies of the fallen at Minisink Ford are recorded as having taken place in the weeks following the battle, it was not until 1822, forty-five years after the event, that the remains still lying here were gathered . . . — Map (db m20507) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — Indian Rock
Legend has it that the Indians and Tories of Joseph Brant set this stone to honor their dead and wounded who fell before the field of fire from the nearby plateau. — Map (db m20515) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — Last Stand On The Rocky HillRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
After the initial contact at the river, Col. Hathorn’s remaining force, about forty men, conducted a fighting retreat until they reached high ground. Here they took up a position about two acres in size. Sentinel Rock, where you are now, marked the . . . — Map (db m20511) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — Minisink Battle Monument
Erected July 22d, 1879 Dedicated to the memory of the Patriots of the Minisink Region who died here July 22, 1779 in the defence of American Liberty <<<<< * * * >>>>> Erected by the Historical Societies of the Minisink Country and of the . . . — Map (db m20509) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — Minisink Battleground Park
In July 1779, after raiding the settlement of Minisink, Loyalists and Native Americans under Mohawk Chief Joseph Brant ambushed and pursued Orange County and New Jersey militia. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m20502) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Highland — The Battle at MinisinkRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
On July 20, 1779, a party of eighty seven Tories and Iroquois Native Americans under the command of Capt. Joseph Brant raided the frontier settlement of Minisink (present day Port Jervis). The raid destroyed homes, farms and mills and was designed . . . — Map (db m20505) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Livingston Manor — Livingston Manor Covered Bridge
Formerly Mott’s Flat bridge later known as the “Vantran” original towne lattice truss Built by John Davidson in 1860 Erected by town of Rockland — Map (db m105861) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Livingston Manor — Livingston Manor Covered Bridge
The bridge was originally known as Motts Flat Bridge, more recently called the Vantran Bridge. It is the oldest of four remaining Catskill type patented town-lattice covered bridges in Sullivan County built by John Davidson in 1860.

The . . . — Map (db m105862) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Bluestone Quarries

Found only in a narrow section of New York and Pennsylvania, bluestone was the material of choice for sidewalks in the 1800's. Demand from major cities such as New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and as far away as San Francisco and Havana, Cuba . . . — Map (db m122006) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Goulds Church Bell1901

Given by George Milk — Map (db m122007) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Honor Roll of Long Eddy

[Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m121874) WM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Logging

Logging was done throughout the area. Loggers would cut the trees during the winter and skid them close to streams to float them down to the Delaware in the spring. Once in the river, hundreds of logs were fastened together forming a raft to . . . — Map (db m122077) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy Business District

At its height, Long Eddy's business district boasted four general stores. Supporting a population that had grown to 500 by 1890, as well as the neighboring small hamlets, Long Eddy's main street was the source for all of one's needs including . . . — Map (db m122052) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy Ferries

In the 1800's, Long Eddy had two ferries crossing the Delaware River, one located at the end of Ferry Street and the other at the end of the Long Eddy. The ferries were guided across the river by a cable and were powered by the flow of the . . . — Map (db m122076) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy Hotel

Built around 1850, the Long Eddy Hotel was originally a blacksmith's shop. Steve and Carrie Porter moved their saloon (named "The Pig's Foot" by the locals for the pickled pigs feet served as the free food at the bar) to the blacksmith's barn . . . — Map (db m122050) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy Industry

Long Eddy was teeming with industry during the late 1800's. Factories and mills produced board lumber, furniture, rolling pins, handles for rakes and hoes, spindles, porch posts, corn meal, buckwheat flour, wooden cheese boxes and excelsior. . . . — Map (db m121978) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy, New York

Formerly Douglass City 1867 - 1878 Sullivan County's Only City "To those who conceived it and all who came after." 1st. settler, Joseph Geer, 1800 — Map (db m122008) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Long Eddy's Pastime

Long Eddy had its first organized baseball team around 1890. The team played neighboring towns of Acidalia, Basket, East Branch, Roscoe, Hankins, Callicoon and bitter rival Fishes Eddy. Games were played at the Long Eddy school (now . . . — Map (db m122071) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Railroads in Long Eddy

The Erie Railroad provided service to Long Eddy from the late 1800's to 1962. Freight such as milk and bluestone were picked up at sidings along the way and brought to market in New York City. Passenger service ranged from one to four trains . . . — Map (db m122073) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Riverside Cemetery

The Riverside Cemetery (now known as the Halsey Cemetery) was established in 1885. The people of Long Eddy worked together to clear the land to create a community cemetery. (Much later, the adjacent St. Patrick's Catholic Cemetery was . . . — Map (db m121875) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — St. Patrick's Church

Construction of St. Patrick's Catholic Church was completed in 1904. Prior to that time, the congregation met for Mass in Preston Kellams Hall, in a private residence located across Church Street. Funds were raised to build a new church, and . . . — Map (db m122135) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — St. Patrick's Long Eddy1904 - 2004

Stone from original church — Map (db m122136) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — The Maple Grove House

Long Eddy hotels such as the Maple Grove House served as stopping places for both laborers and vacationers. Log drivers guiding their rafts down the Delaware River found the calm waters of the eddy a convenient place to tie up their log rafts . . . — Map (db m122054) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Long Eddy — Veterans Memorial

In honor of all service persons who served our country in time of need and who are serving now — Map (db m122069) WM

New York (Sullivan County), Lumberland — D. and H. Canal
Dry dock and basin 1828 – 1898 — Map (db m20556) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Battle of Minisink
One of the deadliest in frontier warefare, between Militia and Brant’s Tories and Mohawks, on this hill July 22, 1779. — Map (db m20496) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Battle of Minisink
On this hill, July 22, 1779, N. Y. and N. J. Militia were decimated by Mohawks and Tory raiders of Minisink, (Port Jervis) under Brant. — Map (db m20497) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Battle of Minisink
Entrance to Battlefield where July 22, 1779, N. Y. and N. J. Militia attacked Mohawk and Tory raiders of Minisink (Port Jervis). — Map (db m20500) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Bridge
Built by John A. Roebling, builder of Brooklyn Bridge, to support D. & H. Canal aqueduct by which boats crossed Delaware, 1848 – 98 — Map (db m20567) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Delaware & Hudson CanalUpper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
The Delaware & Hudson Canal, one of the nation’s first large-scale private enterprises, transported millions of tons of anthracite (hard coal) from northeastern Pennsylvania to markets in New York. Gravity railroads took the coal over Moosic . . . — Map (db m20594) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Life Along the CanalUpper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
The building and operation of the 108-mile Delaware & Hudson Canal provided a multitude of jobs not only for Dutch and English settlers but for Irish and German immigrants. The area hummed with activity. Laborers dug the canal with picks and . . . — Map (db m20590) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Roebling’s CableUpper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
John A. Roebling’s legacy is based on his use of suspension cables to hold up bridges and aqueducts. He devised the techniques of air spinning, which is still used today to build much larger spans. This former aqueduct is the nation’s oldest . . . — Map (db m20597) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink — Roebling’s Delaware AqueductUpper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
From canal boats to canoes, the past flows into the present here at the Delaware Aqueduct. Walk across the aqueduct’s reconstructed towpath where mules once pulled Delaware & Hudson Canal boats back to Pennsylvania for another load of coal. Enjoy . . . — Map (db m20596) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink Ford — Battle of Minisink
Col. Joseph Brant led 40 Mohawks and Tories up this ravine and ambushed N. Y. and N. J. Militia lying for him on hill to the west. — Map (db m20495) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Minisink Ford — Brant’s Crossing
After Battle of Minisink, Brant’s raiders with their plunder forded river here to camp at the mouth of the Lackawaxen Creek opposite. — Map (db m20494) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — Camp Holley
In memory of the 143rd Regiment Infantry, Sullivan County's own, 1004 strong. — Map (db m25664) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — Methodist ChurchMonticello, N Y
Organized in Districts 1804; present church built 1844. — Map (db m25658) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — Monticello Depot
Was the Catskill Mtn. destination for sportsmen and vacationers from 1896 until the O&W Ry. ceased operation on March 29, 1957. — Map (db m25865) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — 257 — Presbyterian ChurchFirst Church in Monticello — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Established 1810. Lot gift by the Jones brothers. — Map (db m122289) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — Site of First House in Monticello
Built by John P. Jones, founder of the Village, December 1804. — Map (db m28652) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — Site of Toll HouseMonticello-Jeffersonville Turnpike — 1875
Site of Toll House, Monticello-Jeffersonville Turnpike, 1875. — Map (db m25653) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Monticello — St John's Episcopal Church
Monticello, N.Y. Parish organized 1816 Present Church built 1880 180th Anniversay 1816-1996 — Map (db m24620) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Arlington Hotel1894

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m120712) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 27 — Dexter ManufacturingTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

Incorporated 1942 tool parts manufactured for WWII closed circa 1949 — Map (db m121167) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Fort Delaware
Model of the circa 1755 Cushetunk settlement located near Milanville Pa. Opened in 1957. Designed by James W. Burnank. — Map (db m23639) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Fort Delaware1755     1785
This fort represents the buck-skinned variety of American frontier fortifications. It tells the story of the Delaware Company a group of Connecticut pioneers who established their settlement in the face of every conceivable hardship. This authentic . . . — Map (db m23734) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Fort Delaware / Narrowsburg’s HistoryUpper Delaware Scenic Byway
< Fort Delaware Side: > The present day Fort, a replica of the frontier “lower fort” of the Cushetunk settlement of 1755-1785, was originally located six miles up river near Milanville, Pennsylvania. Another fort was . . . — Map (db m23934) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Fort Delaware Museum
The reconstructed stockade, blockhouses, log cabins, blacksmith shop, shed, armory, and herb garden are representative of forts constructed by Connecticut settlers in the 1750’s. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m23635) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 23 — J.S. Anderson BuildingTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

circa 1800's burned 1893 rebuilt in brick 1894 — Map (db m121113) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Lutheran Church

Formed by German immigrants in 1868. Cornerstone laid August 25, 1869. Rev Ludwig Detzer, first pastor — Map (db m121173) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 9 — Methodist ChurchTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

organized 1839 built 1856 moved to present location 1879 — Map (db m121162) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 4 — Narrowsburg Central Rural SchoolTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

built 1929 graduating classes 1931 - 2001 — Map (db m121154) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Narrowsburg's History / Main Street

Narrowsburg's History Narrowsburg, located in the town of Tusten, was established in 1853, when the town was separated from the Town of Lumberland. The town is named for Lt. Col. Benjamin Tusten of Goshen, New York, who was one . . . — Map (db m121041) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 5 — St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran ChurchTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

organized 1868 built 1869 — Map (db m121171) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 15 — Stranahan's StoreTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

circa mid 1800's closed 1991 — Map (db m121109) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 26 — The Bridges over the Delaware

first bridge - 1812 second bridge - 1832 covered bridge - 1846 second covered bridge - 1848 first iron bridge - 1899 bridges toll free - 1927 interstate bridge - 1953 — Map (db m123864) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 24 — The Decker Building

circa 1800's burned 1893 rebuilt 1894 remodeled 2003 — Map (db m121130) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 25 — The Green Building

circa 1800's burned 1893 rebuilt 1894 in-home post office until 1920 — Map (db m121132) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — The Narrowest and The Deepest

Narrowsburg takes its name from the small, narrow rock canyon easily seen from the bridge. The canyon, only 200 feet wide, is the narrowest point in the length of the Delaware River main stem and is located at river-mile 290 as counted from the . . . — Map (db m121104) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 28 — The OasisTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

circa late 1930's tavern / hotel / restaurant bowling alleys — Map (db m121169) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Thomas DunnPatriot

Thomas Dunn came here in the year 1801 and settled on the lands at Big Eddy, of which this cemetery is a part.

He, his wife Su Dunn and five of his children survived the Wyoming Massacre July 1778 after which he enlisted in the . . . — Map (db m120980) HM WM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Town of Tusten
Town of Tusten Formed December 17, 1853 from the Town of Lumberland by Act of the Sullivan County Board of Supervisors Charles Woodward, 1st Supervisor Tusten Historical Society October 2003 — Map (db m66960) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — 29 — Tusten Town HallTusten Historical Society Walking Tour

built 1926 by Narrowsburg Fire Dept. Park movie theater 1930's purchased by Town of Tusten 1973 — Map (db m121102) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — War Memorial

Remembering Veterans Of All Armed Services In All U. S. Wars — Map (db m123863) WM

New York (Sullivan County), Roscoe — “They Came to the Mountains by Rail”
On July 9, 1873, a few miles to the west of here, was driven the “Golden Spike” completing the New York and Oswego Midland Railroad—later the New York, Ontario & Western (O & W). This rail link opened up the interior of Sullivan . . . — Map (db m22528) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Roscoe — Roscoe Station Site N.Y Ontario & Western Rwy.(1866-1957)
Site formerly Rockland, originally Westfield Flats. Weehawken to here by "Scoot" Signal and weather vane remain. — Map (db m98342) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Roscoe — The Catskill MountainsHistoric New York
The Catskill Mountains tower above the Hudson River as it winds its way past one of the most popular resort areas in the United States. These time-worn mountains were called Kaatskill (Cat Creek) by Dutchmen of the seventeenth century, probably . . . — Map (db m22427) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Thompsonville — Town of Thompson
Named for Judge William A. Thompson, first Judge of Sullivan County, appointed 1803. — Map (db m25867) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Town of Highland — Minisink Battle July 22d 1779
Dedicated to the memory of the Patriots of the Minisink region who died here July 22, 1779 in the defence of American Liberty. — Map (db m53053) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Tusten — Tusten
Named for Lt. Col. Benjamin Tusten of Goshen militia, surgeon who gave his life to attend the wounded at the Battle of Minisink — Map (db m23686) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Wurtsboro — Michel Helm

Killed and scalped here during French and Indian War, while on way from visiting his daughter at Minisink, to his home in Rochester — Map (db m118472) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Wurtsboro — Old Mine Road ~ D. and H. CanalHistoric New York

Minisink Indians traveling between the Delaware and Hudson Rivers followed the valley which they called Shawangunk ("southward"). Later the name was applied to the mountains to the east. Colonists early in the 18th century used this same level . . . — Map (db m118474) HM

New York (Sullivan County), Wurtsboro — Original Snubbing
July 13, 1825 Original snubbing post placed at the sight of the ground breaking ceremonies of the D&H Canal July 13, 1975Map (db m98340) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Wurtsboro — Site of Yaugh House
Site of Yaugh House and spring, famous as a stopping place for hunters and travelers in this valley in 18th century; important survey corner. — Map (db m30530) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Wurtsboro — Wurtsboro
Named for Maurice Wurts, president and one of the founders of Delaware and Hudson Canal. It was built to haul coal to Tidewater. — Map (db m98339) HM

102 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.