Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sullivan County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Wyalusing Path Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, October 12, 2015
Wyalusing Path Marker
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Beech Glen — Wyalusing Path
An Indian path from Wyalusing on the North Branch of the Susquehanna, ran down Muncy Creek to the West Branch. Christian Indians, led by the Moravian Bishop Ettwien, came west over this path in 1772 to found a "City of Peace" on the Beaver River. — Map (db m89969) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Colley — Colley Union Church

Upon this site in the year 1890 the Colley Union Church was erected.

The Colley Union Church was founded on lands reserved for this purpose by the Annie Potter family, and it was officially deeded as a church property on January . . . — Map (db m139355) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Civil War Memorial — 1861 • 1865

Dedicated to the men and women of the Armed Services of Sullivan County who gave their services and lives to our country in the Civil War — Map (db m139267) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Korean War Memorial — 1950 • 1955

Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Armed Services of Sullivan County, who gave their services and lives to our country in the Korean War — Map (db m139271) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — M. Eugene Deegan

Died At His Post

M. Eugene Deegan by an explosion while firing engine near Wyalusing on L.V.R.R. Nov. 2, 1899 Aged 30 Yrs, 1 Mo. & 20 Ds ———————— May he rest in . . . — Map (db m139251) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Spanish American War Memorial — 1898 • 1898

Dedicated to the men and women of the Armed Services of Sullivan County who gave their services and lives to our country in the Spanish American War — Map (db m139309) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated To All Who Served

[Armed Forces Emblems]

[POW/MIA and First Responder Emblems] — Map (db m139249) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Veterans Memorial

Memorial to all those who have served — Map (db m139353) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — Vietnam War Memorial — 1964 • 1975

Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Armed Services of Sullivan County, who gave their services and lives to our country in the Vietnam War — Map (db m139273) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Dushore — World War Memorial

Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of Sullivan County who gave their services and lives to our country in 1917 - The World War - 1918 — Map (db m139266) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Bell from the Eagles Mere School — 1904 - 1963

Donated by the Jackson W. T. Kennedy Family to show their love of Eagles Mere — Map (db m139009) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Eagles Mere Chautauqua
Eagles Mere Chautauqua was founded by Benjamin Welch and his brother Reverend Joseph Welch. Opening ceremonies took place on August 4, 1896, with Penn. Governor General James Beaver as quest speaker. The original site of the bell was Forest Inn . . . — Map (db m89972) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Eagles Mere Downtown Revitalization

In the years after World War II, the decline of the resort hotels that had been the economic engines of Eagles Mere posed a serious threat to the community. New community organizations were formed to acquire the Country Club and Eagles . . . — Map (db m139007) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Hiram's Landing

Hiram Humphrey was the able skipper of the launch "The Hardly Able" between 1929 and 1986. His devotion to his boat, its passengers and especially the children won for him the love and respect of many generations of . . . — Map (db m139244) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Lewis Glass Works

George Lewis purchased 10,217 acres from Charles Wolstoncraft in 1794 for one dollar per acre. His dream of an ideal community built around a glass manufacturing business and away from the unhealthy atmosphere of the city became a . . . — Map (db m139163) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Seth Thomas Clock
. . . — Map (db m139075) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — Site of the Original Toboggan Slide
Site of the original toboggan slide built in 1904 designed and engineered by Capt. E. S. Chase. Blocks of ice are measured, cut, and transported to the foot of Lake Ave. where construction begins. The slide, which is 1200 ft. long, is grooved to . . . — Map (db m126500) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — The Allegheny Hotel

On this site stood The Allegheny Hotel Built in 1885 Owned and operated by generations of the Peale family Torn down 1978-1979 — Map (db m139085) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Eagles Mere — The Chaseway...

This nine-tenths of a mile pathway leads to the beach and Eagles Mere Park.

The Chaseway honors Captain Embley Shafer Chase, general manager of the Eagles Mere Syndicate (1886 to 1919), and the originator of much that is . . . — Map (db m139080) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — 400 Acres: the Start of Forksville

"Thomas Huckell, brought his family to the Forks of Loyalsock Creek in 1797." "Huckell contracted with [Joseph] Priestly for four hundred acres of land lying on both sides of the Loyalsock [Creek] at the Forks. He lived only one . . . — Map (db m139215) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — Christian & Dorothea Heess

The first settlers at ElkLake, Christian & Dorothea Heess, from Stut[t]gart, Germany built a cabin on this site in 1852 — Map (db m139237) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — Forksville Covered Bridge

This Burr Truss covered bridge was built by Sadler S. Rogers (1831-1913) of Hillsgrove in the 1850's. In 1890 there were a total of 30 covered bridges in Sullivan County, Pa. By 1954 only five remained. Today there are three: . . . — Map (db m139206) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — Harold "Red" Grange — (1903 - 1991)
Legendary football player, nicknamed " The Galloping Ghost," born in Forksville. Member, College Football Hall of Fame . Career began at Wheaton (Ill.) High School; scored 75 touchdowns. Played 1923-25 for the University of Illinois; an All - . . . — Map (db m90013) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — Lt John R. Winter and Lt William G. Winter
. . . — Map (db m139233) WM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Forksville — Old Woolen Factory
A short distance SE, along the Loyalsock, is the site of old factory established in 1810 by Samuel Rogers, Jr. During the War of 1812, it made kersey cloth for the army. Flood in 1816 stopped operation of the factory. — Map (db m90014) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Burial Grounds

The Diocese has no records on the history of why the graves in this wooded lot were located away from the burial lot of the church. Perhaps the families were not Catholic, of unknown religious orientation, or were not baptized. . . . — Map (db m139188) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Celestia
Peter E. Armstrong founded a religious community here in 1850. He envisioned his followers as "wilderness exiles" in a "City of Heaven" on this mountaintop. In 1864 the land was deeded to Almighty God "and to His heirs in Jesus Messiah." Because of . . . — Map (db m89975) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Dr. Theodore Joseph Saul, Capt. M.C. — 1909 - 1978
He was born to heal the afflictions of all, and they grew to become his friends. He took the gifts that God gave him and utilized them to serve all. He was a husband and a father, and we will never regret sharing him with you. Our strength comes . . . — Map (db m90009) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Sacred Heart

The Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church was built in 1894 by Dushore contractors "Lawrence Brothers." The Church was dedicated to divine worship on July 4, 1895 and was part of the St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Mildred from the . . . — Map (db m139174) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Sullivan County
Formed March 15, 1847 from Lycoming County. Named for State Senator Charles C. Sullivan, who was active in securing its creation. Laporte, the county seat, was incorporated 1853. County is home of Eagles Mere (long a noted resort) and Worlds End . . . — Map (db m89986) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Laporte — Sullivan County Veterans Memorial
In honor of all past, present and future veterans of Sullivan County, in grateful memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom of our country and to show appreciation to the common men and women who answer the call and rise to . . . — Map (db m90010) WM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Lopez — Lopez Centennial Park — 1876 • 1976

Dedicated 30 May 1976

in commemoration of our first century — Map (db m139323) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Lopez — Veterans Memorial

In tribute to those gallant citizens of Sullivan County who so nobly defended our freedoms by their military endeavors throughout the history of our country ——————— Dedicated to the . . . — Map (db m139318) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Mildred — The Bell of Our First Church

Built in 1896, St. Francis of Assisi Church burned to the ground April 12, 1957, Friday before Holy Week. Fire broke out at 10:20 p.m., and the Rectory was also destroyed.

Father Luke Hally kept the broken bell until he died in . . . — Map (db m139352) HM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Mildred — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served their country during the Civil War, Spanish American War and World War I ——————— Dedicated to the Soldiers and . . . — Map (db m139310) WM

Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Muncy Valley — Hotel Eagles Mere
On this site stood the hotel Eagles Mere-built in 1879-known as Point Breeze Hotel from 1880-1887 when it was enlarged to house 250 guests by owner Ernest V. Ingram. Original section demolished in 1973, and remaining building moved opposite . . . — Map (db m89971) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Muncy Valley — Merritt Field Airport
Begun, 1999-First Landing 2001-Named for Merritt J. Jenkins-Son of George Merritt Jenkins, builder. Dedicated to all the old planes still flying that this facility makers possible. — Map (db m89973) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2020