Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sumner County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Bledsoe's Fort and Monument Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
Bledsoe's Fort and Monument Marker
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — 3B 38 — Bledsoe's Fort and Monument
1/10 mile N.W. is Bledsoe monument, marking gravesites of Revolutionary War veterans Anthony Bledsoe and brother Isaac, long hunters and early explorers in this area. Among early settlers in this region both were active in the civil and military . . . — Map (db m82967) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — 3B 5 — Bledsoe's Lick
The spring to the north was a rendezvous for salt-seeking game in the pre-pioneer days. First settlers came in 1779. In 1787, Isaac and Anthony Bledsoe and their families settled here. The two brothers were killed by Indians and are buried in the . . . — Map (db m68469) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — CragfontUnion Occupation
Cragfont was the home of Confederate Maj. George W. Winchester (1822-1878), his mother, Susan Winchester, his wife, Malvina H. Gaines, and their children. Their surviving letters and diaries describe life during Union occupation. George . . . — Map (db m68465) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — 3B 7 — Cragfont
0.7 mile north, the home of James Winchester, built by artisans from his home state of Maryland and completed in 1802. He was a War of 1812 brigadier general, and in association with General Andrew Jackson and Judge John Overton was one of Memphis' . . . — Map (db m82968) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — 3B 36 — General William Hall
Revolutionary War veteran Major William Hall settled in this area in 1785 and built a station, 1 1/4 miles northeast. He and two sons were massacred a few years later. Born in North Carolina in 1775, General William Hall, his son, served in the . . . — Map (db m68471) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — Hawthorne HillBirthplace of William B. Bate
William Brimage Bate was born here in 1826, and during the Civil War he rose to the rank of major general. He left home at the age of sixteen to be a clerk on a steamboat. During the Mexican War, he served as a lieutenant, then became a journalist, . . . — Map (db m82969) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial
On this spot stood the hollow sycamore tree in which Thos. Sharpe Spencer spent the winter of 1778-79., deserted by his companions for fear of Indians. Spencer helped build at Bledsoe’s Lick, 50-yds. south of this spot, the first cabin in middle . . . — Map (db m68468) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Castalian Springs — WynnewoodChanging Allegiances
Col. Alfred Royal Wynne (1800-1893) was a trader and merchant in Castalian Springs. In 1828, he built this stagecoach inn along the Knoxville road. Although Wynne was a slaveholder and a Democrat, he also was a staunch Unionist and strongly opposed . . . — Map (db m82970) WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 41, 176 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The oldest church building in Gallatin in continuous existence, this church was organized October 25, 1828. The building was erected in 1836-37 and is an example of early Greek Revival architecture. The sanctuary was used as a hospital for Federal . . . — Map (db m121843) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Gallatin Public SquareHeart of Federal Occupation
Early in 1861, Gallatin and Sumner County were divided over secession, but after the fall of Fort Sumter, residents voted almost ten to one in favor. Support of the Confederacy never wavered, as Capt. Benjamin S. Nicklin, 13th Battery, Indiana Light . . . — Map (db m68408) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Gallatin, Tennessee
By an act of the Tennessee General Assembly, Gallatin became the county seat of Sumner County on February 26, 1802, when commissioners sold the first town lots. Newly laid out, the town embraced 42 ½ acres. The site had been purchased from . . . — Map (db m82971) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — In Memory of all American VeteransPOW-MIA You Are Not Forgotten
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common undeniable goal - - to valiantly protect our country’s freedoms. The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever and . . . — Map (db m82972) WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Monument to the Fallen“Their Fame is All That Survives Them”
The Mexican War Instigated by the U.S. annexation of Texas and the dispute over its southern boundary, the Mexican War of 1846-1848 resulted in the cession of over 500,000 square miles of the territory then owned by Mexico west of Texas and . . . — Map (db m85159) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 48 — Randy's Record Shop
Randy’s Record Shop (1946-1991) was the world’s largest mail-order record company. Founder Randy Wood began advertising his mail-order business in the late 40s on clear channel WLAC in Nashville, a broadcast that could be heard throughout most of . . . — Map (db m68441) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 75 — Rose Mont
Catherine Blackmore (1806-1888) and her husband Josephus Conn Guild (1802-1883) built Rose Mont circa 1842 here on their 500-acre plantation. Descendants occupied it until the City of Gallatin acquired the property in 1993. A grove of trees 150 . . . — Map (db m68404) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Rose MontTribute to Major George Blackmore
This monument marks Rose Mont and pays tribute to Major George Blackmore, father of Catherine Blackmore Guild, wife of Josephus Conn Guild, owner and builder of Rose Mont. Blackmore served in the Revolutionary War from 1777-1781. He came to . . . — Map (db m68406) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — RosemontThe Political War Within the War
Rosemont, a Greek Revival—style mansion completed in the 1840s, was the home of Judge Josephus Conn Guild, a state senator and representative who also served as a Lt. Colonel in the 2nd Tennessee Mounted Volunteers during the Seminole War. He . . . — Map (db m68405) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Sumner County Tennessee Mexican-American War Monument
This Monument Was erected by the liberality of the Citizens of the County of Sumner to the memory of her Patriotic Sons: who sacrificed their lives in the defense of the Flag of their country in the war with Mexico. In 1846. 1847 & 1848. . . . — Map (db m85162) WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 68 — Tennessee's First African-American Civil War Volunteers1863
Among the first ex-slaves in the Union Army were 200 local volunteers who enlisted here on the Public Square in July, 1863. They became a part of the Thirteenth United States Colored Infantry at Nashville. Two months later the army recruited . . . — Map (db m68440) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — The Clark HouseSumner County Courthouse
This is the home of four brothers who served in the Confederate army, as did many of Sumner County’s young men. Their father, William F. Clark, a Protestant minister, died in 1847 at the age of forty-one, leaving his wife, Emma Douglass Clark, to . . . — Map (db m82973) WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 35 — Trousdale Place
Built by John Bowen prior to 1820 and purchased in 1822 by William Trousdale, Governor of Tennessee, 1849-1851. He fought in the War of 1812, and the Creek, Seminole, and Mexican Wars, and was brevetted brigadier-general by President Polk in 1848. . . . — Map (db m68415) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Trousdale PlaceElder Statesman's Home
This was the home of William Trousdale (1790-1872), governor of Tennessee (1849-1851) and U.S. minister to Brazil (1853-1857). During the Union army’s occupation of Gallatin from 1862 to 1870, its commanders regarded former governor Trousdale as the . . . — Map (db m68416) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 33 — Ziegler's Station
This station was built in 1790 near Bledsoe Creek by Joseph Ziegler to protect early settlers. In 1791, it was attacked by a war party of Creek, Cherokee, and Chickamauga Indians, killing ten persons and taking eighteen prisoners. A forced march was . . . — Map (db m82974) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Goodlettsville — Bowen Plantation House
The Bowen Plantation house was built in 1787 by Captain William Bowen, a veteran of Lord Dunmore’s War, the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War who brought his family to the area in 1783.

The Bowen Plantation House is the . . . — Map (db m82975) HM WM

Tennessee (Sumner County), Goodlettsville — 3A 140 — First Long Hunters
1765, Henry Skaggs, his brothers, Charles and Richard, and Joseph Drake and a group of other long hunters were the first Anglo-Saxons to explore this area. They made their campsite at Mansker's Lick, opening the doorway for the future settlement of . . . — Map (db m3301) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Goodlettsville — Mansker CreekLouisville and Nashville Railroad
The Louisville and Nashville Railroad, among Tennessee’s most strategically important lines, closely followed Mansker Creek here, and a railroad bridge stood two miles downstream. To protect the railroad and the bridge, several companies of Union . . . — Map (db m74324) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Goodlettsville — Mansker's Station
In 1780, a longhunter of German descent named Kasper Mansker, settled in the Goodlettsville area and established his own forted station. It was on the west side of Mansker Creek that he built his first station, which the inhabitants would leave . . . — Map (db m74330) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Hendersonville — 3B 52 — Free Hill Road
In 1860, Sumner County's population of African descent consisted of 7,700 slaves. After America's Civil War, emancipated slaves settled on this high hill and road in the Rockland Community. According to oral tradition, Free Hill Road received its . . . — Map (db m82977) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3B 49 — Cold Spring Schoolcirca 1857-1933
2.8 miles northeast is the site of Cold Spring School. It was built on land donated in May 1857 by Thomas Baskerville for a school and meetinghouse. Early in the Civil War, it was used by Camp Trousdale as a military hospital. There, in 1866, David . . . — Map (db m68599) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — Cold Spring SchoolSite of Camp Trousdale
In May 1861, the Tennessee General Assembly passed legislation to raise and equip the Provisional Army of Tennessee and train the units at camps throughout the state. Camp Trousdale was established—initially at Richland (present-day . . . — Map (db m82978) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3B 74 — Fort Smith
One and one-quarter miles northeast at Mitchellville Station on the L&N Railroad stood Fort Smith. There a railhead began as a Union supply depot for General Rosecran’s army at Nashville. With South Tunnel destroyed by General Morgan’s Confederate . . . — Map (db m68572) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — Historic Cold Springsca. 1857 - 1933
Cold Springs, a rural one room school, was built near cold water springs on the Thomas Baskerville farm, near Mitchellville, Northern Sumner County. During the Civil War the school was a hospital for Confederate troops quartered at Camp Trousdale. . . . — Map (db m82979) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3 B 19 — Tennessee / Kentucky
Tennessee Sumner County Established 1796 named in honor of Major Gen. Jethro Sumner. Officer in French and Indian War. Served in defense of Charleston, 1776; in the Battles of Brandywine and Germantown; and in . . . — Map (db m102330) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3B 51 — Tennessee Maneuvers World War II
Located .8 mile east is the site of the 35th Evacuation Hospital which cared for injured soldiers during the Second Army maneuvers from 1942 to 1944. Rear echelon units, known as "Red Forces," defending the Cumberland River, bivouacked in the fields . . . — Map (db m83284) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3B 69 — Zollicoffer's Headquarters
One-half mile southeast of here, near Maple Hill Cemetery, stood the home of Thomas Buntin, founder of Richland Station and a Confederate sympathizer. In the spring of 1861, the Buntin residence was headquarters of Brigadier General Felix K. . . . — Map (db m82980) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.