Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Talbot County Maryland Historical Markers

 
Lane leading to house. image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 22, 2007
Lane leading to house.
Maryland (Talbot County), Claiborne — Matthew Tilghman1718–1790
Here lived the planter and patriot called “Father of the Revolution in Maryland” Speaker, Maryland Assembly, 1773–1774, President, Maryland Conventions and Chairman of Council of Safety, 1774–1776. Having headed each . . . — Map (db m3176) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — “Canterbury Mannor”1000 Acres.
Laid out for Richard Tilghman Chirurgeon as “Mannor of Tilghman’s Fortune” 20th July 1659. Sold by him to Richard Preston 3rd Sept., 1665, as the “Mannor of Canterbury” “together with all royaltys and privileeges most . . . — Map (db m3336) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Archaeology at the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Many early African American churches began as spiritual groups and developed into mutual aid societies that provided economic and educational resources to those in need. After building houses of worship, the congregations grew into vital . . . — Map (db m138292) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Betty’s Cove Meetinghouse
Near this spot, about 1665, Quaker settlers built the Betty’s Cove Meetinghouse, at this intersection, known as “The Pincushion,” they established a school, adding one of the first public libraries in America in 1676, George Fox, founder . . . — Map (db m3167) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Birthplace of Tench Francis, Jr.(1731-1800)
Nearby is the site of "Fausley", the birthplace of Tench Francis, Jr, colonial businessman, revolutionary patriot, financier and father of the United States Navy Supply Corps. A successful merchant in the last decades before independence, Tench . . . — Map (db m3299) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Bracing for an AttackStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Easton expected to be a British target during the War of 1812. A two-story brick armory in the center of town housed cannon, small arms, and military stores to serve all Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Fort Stoakes, an earthworks built to protect Easton . . . — Map (db m80675) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Easton's Fire Bell1823 - 1923
Hung in the court house, the bell sounded the alarm for 100 years. In the late 1800's the bell was moved to this building which served as the Easton Fire House until 1933. It is believed to be Easton's oldest bell — Map (db m138296) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Fausley
Birthplace of Lieutenant Colonel Tench Tilghman, Christmas day 1744. Aide-de-Camp to General George Washington, 1776–1783, and a participant in every major campaign of the main army in the American Revolution. He was entrusted to carry the . . . — Map (db m3168) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Frederick Douglass1817 - 1895 — Negro Patriot —
Attained freedom and devoted his life and talents to the abolition of slavery and the cause of universal suffrage. Visited England in 1845 and in 1859. Won many prominent friends abroad and at home. Was U. S. Marshall for the District of Columbia . . . — Map (db m87682) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Frederick Douglass1818 - 1895
"In a composite nation like ours, as before the law, there should be no rich, no poor, no high, no low, no white, no black, but common country, common citizenship, equal rights and a common destiny." United States Marshal · . . . — Map (db m138295) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Peachblossom Meetinghouse
Built 1880, by people of Swedenberg, Lutheran, Methodist and Brethren Faiths near Peachblossom Creek and used by each denomination every fourth Sunday. The building originally known as Peachblossom Meetinghouse, was so named because the first peach . . . — Map (db m3325) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Site of “The Rest”
“The Rest” was the home of Admiral Franklin Buchanan, 1800–1874, first Superintendent of the Naval Academy, 1845, Commander of the Washington Navy Yard, 1861, Commander of the Confederate iron-clads Virginia, 1862, and . . . — Map (db m3180) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Talbot County Courthouse
This tablet commemorates the additions and alterations in 1958 to the Talbot County Courthouse originally built in 1794. — Map (db m3304) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — The “Mannour of Ratcliffe”
800 acres patented January 17, 1659 to Robert Morris of London, mariner, “together with a Court Baron and all things thereunto belonging by the laws and customs of England.” One of the earliest grants on the Eastern Shore. — Map (db m3181) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — The Bullitt House
Construction in 1801 as the personal residences and law office of Thomas J. Bullitt, this historic property was gifted to the citizens of the Mid-Shore on December 20, 2002, by Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas F. Brady, Mr. and Mrs. A. James Clark, and . . . — Map (db m138293) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — The Talbot ResolvesMay 24, 1774
Two years before the Declaration of Independence, the citizens of Talbot County met on this site to protest Great Britain's closing of the Port of Boston, and resolved "to act as friends to liberty and the general interest of mankind." — Map (db m3298) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Third HavenMeeting House of the Society of Friends — 1682 - 1684 —
One of the oldest frame houses of worship in the United States. In continuous use since it was built. — Map (db m3306) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — To the Talbot Boys
1861 - 1865 C. S. A. Names of Confederate SoldiersMap (db m3300) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — Vietnam War
1960 1973 In Memory Of W.O Robert W. Cook USA S. Sgt. Edward F. Ayers USA S. Sgt. Thomas N. Blades USA Sp. 4 Joseph M. Eason USA 1st. Lt. Lawrence R. Bullen . . . — Map (db m4958) WM
Maryland (Talbot County), Easton — William Penn
In December 1682 attended a General Meeting of "Friends" on the Choptank River after a visit to Lord Baltimore at Col. Thomas Tailler's in Ann Arundel Co. "Philemon Lloyd with some horsemen waited on Penn" by order of Lord Baltimore. — Map (db m138297) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Longwoods — Little Red Schoolhouse
The only one-room schoolhouse remaining in Talbot County is a half-mile southwest at Longwoods. Erected ca. 1885. The Talbot County Commissioners restored it in 1969 as a museum showing the development of education in this area. — Map (db m3731) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Oxford — In Memory of Col. Tench Tilghman
Who died April 15th 1786 in the 42d year of his age. Very much lamented. He took an early and active part in the great contest that secured the independence of the United States of America. He was an Aide-de-Camp to His Excellency General . . . — Map (db m3172) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Oxford — Oxford
One of the first towns and ports authorized by Assembly in 1683. Called “William-Stade” in 1695. Robert Morris, father of the financier of the Revolution lived here until his death in 1750. He is buried at Old Whitmarsh Church. — Map (db m3171) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Oxford — Oxford - Bellevue FerryNovember 1683
Believed to be nation’s oldest privately operated ferry service. Ferry has plied across Tred Avon River since Talbot County Court “pitcht upon Mr. Richard Royston to Keepe a Ferry” November 20, 1683, service has been continuous since . . . — Map (db m3170) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Oxford — Oxford WharfRecruiting United States Colored Troops
The Emancipation Proclamation, issued January 1, 1863, authorized the recruiting of African Americans as United States soldiers. Blacks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Delaware sought freedom for themselves and their families in return their . . . — Map (db m34451) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Oxford — The Robert Morris InnCirca 1710
Robert Morris, Sr. and Robert Morris, Jr., a Revolutionary War financier, lived in the original section. The building served as town hall, convalscent home for World War I veterans and general store. Since the late 1940’s it has been operated as an . . . — Map (db m3169) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Sherwood — British OccupationStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The British overtook Tilghman and Poplar islands in the spring of 1813 and again in October 1814. The islands offered ready-access to Annapolis, Baltimore, and other potential targets.

A regiment of a thousand men began building winter barracks . . . — Map (db m80685) HM

Maryland (Talbot County), Sherwood — Chesapeake Bay Skipjack Fleet
North America’s last sail-powered commercial vessels, skipjacks were developed nthe Chesapeake Bay Region around 1890 to dredge oysters from the bottom of the bay. A boom in the oyster industry began after the Civil War, as innovations in packing . . . — Map (db m34256) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — DelawareRiver Tug — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum —
Large sailing vessels carrying cargoes of lumber, wheat, fertilizer, and coal, were common on the Chesapeake Bay until the 1930s. With its narrow, winding rivers and shallow harbors, many of the Bay's waterways were difficult to maneuver. Tugs . . . — Map (db m138375) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Freedom's Figurehead
Where did such a big figurehead come from? A big ship? In this case, it was made for a relatively small vessel -- The 88-foot schooner yacht Freedom. But yacht designer John G. Alden never intended Freedom to have a figurehead when she was built in . . . — Map (db m61333) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Freedom's FigureheadChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Where did such a big figurehead come from? A big ship? In this case, it was made for a relatively small vessel—the 88-foot schooner yacht, Freedom. Yacht designer John G. Alden never intended for Freedom to have a figurehead when . . . — Map (db m138308) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Katie G., Deadrise WorkboatChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
This small power skiff was made for pleasure fishing and crabbing. Although Katie G. was built with an engine, she has the shape of a sailboat. This is apparent in her "tuck stern," where the back of the boat rises out of the water. Later . . . — Map (db m138359) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — MarthaHoopers Island Dovetail — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum —
Dovetail boats were built in the early 1900s with gasoline engines and a special stern that looked like a motor racer. Martha was built in 1934 for $350 and was probably used for oyster tonging and trotlining for crabs. She was named after . . . — Map (db m138357) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Merry WidowPoquoson Log Canoe
Log canoes built in the Poquoson, Virginia style were rigged as sloops, with a jib carried on a short bowsprit. Built for oyster tonging by Captain Will Knott, Merry Widow was named for a popular musical of her day. Later, she was . . . — Map (db m138368) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Old PointCrab Dredger — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum —
Old Point was one of a fleet of crab dredging boats that operated out of Hampton, Virginia, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay from the 1910s through the 1960s. From December through March, captains and crews lived on their boats so they . . . — Map (db m138358) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Spat, Miniature SkipjackChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
A fairly simple and inexpensive boat to build, the skipjack became a popular workboat in the 1890s. Built in 1969, this miniature skipjack was a sturdy daysailer particularly suited for Chesapeake Bay waters. Formula for designing a . . . — Map (db m138323) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Thor, PilothouseChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Most pilothouses had two sections. The forward part housed navigational equipment and served as the steering station, while the after part was for the crew who sometimes worked aboard these boats for many weeks at a time. The after section is where . . . — Map (db m138369) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Winnie EstelleBuyboat — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum —
Built in 1920 by Noah T. Evans, a native Smith Islander, Winnie Estelle was named for his two daughters. Evans was an occasional boatbuilder; his principal occupation was operating buyboats—buying fish and oysters directly from . . . — Map (db m138370) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — A Mighty PullChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Handling heavy hawsers was hard, dangerous work on tugboats, but it became a little easier with powers capstans. This capstan used steam from the same boilers that powered the steam tug America's 450-horsepower engine. America . . . — Map (db m138321) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of St. Michaels and the Bay Hundred area who courageously served their country in time of desperate need. Special gratitude is given to those who made the ultimate sacrifice as a result of that service. . . . — Map (db m138299) WM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Bugeye Design
Like the smaller brogans before them, bugeyes were essentially enlarged log canoes with two raked masts. Chunked from multiple pine logs, their hulls were then planked over, creating shallow vessels with wide decks. Bugeyes were generally sharp . . . — Map (db m138316) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Bugeyes and Oystering
In the 1800s, the once-slow harvest of oysters in the Chesapeake Bay exploded. New technology like railroads and food preservation allowed oysters to reach new markets. To meet the growing national demand for this cold-weather fishery, larger . . . — Map (db m138320) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Bushwack Boat
Bushwack boats were originally used for gill netting shad on the Susquehanna Flats at the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay. Waterfowlers adapted them for use with decoys while hunting ducks. The crouching hunters were hidden from view by a canvas . . . — Map (db m138365) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Captain John Smith's Shallopand America's First National Water Trail
This modest open boat is a replica of one of the most important vessels in American History. In the summer of 1608, a small boat or "Shallop" similar to this was used by Captain John Smith to make the first detailed European exploration of the . . . — Map (db m61332) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Chesapeake Bay Small Craft
Watermen used a wide variety of small boats around the Chesapeake Bay for fishing, oystering, and crabbing. Some of their boats were brought from other places along the East Coast, but most were locally built, with designs that suited to available . . . — Map (db m138362) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Deflecting the EnemyStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Local Lore hails St. Michaels for "fooling the British" during the War of 1812 by using lanterns to misdirect gunfire high above the town. It is certain that this shipbuilding village successfully fended off two enemy assaults in 1813. On . . . — Map (db m61388) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Edna E. Lockwood
Edna E. Lockwood, built in 1889 by John B. Harrison on Tilghman Island, is the last example of an oystering vessel known as a bugeye. Constructed during the heyday of the Chesapeake oyster industry, bugeyes were sailboats designed to pull . . . — Map (db m138319) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Fishing Shanty / Ark
Arks were floating cabins used by watermen as living quarters while they fished for shad and herring on the Chesapeake Bay, far away from home. As the fish made their spring run up the Bay, the watermen would follow, towing the arks behind their . . . — Map (db m138361) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — For Whom the Bell TollsChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Keeper Ulman Owens met an untimely end at the Holland Island Bar Lighthouse in 1931. The official report ruled that he died by natural causes, but his bruised body and a nearby knife made some suspect foul play. We can't be sure this 1,000-pound fog . . . — Map (db m138380) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Frederick Douglass
Born on Tuckahoe Creek, Talbot County; lived as a slave in St. Michaels area, 1833-1836. Taught self to read and write, conducted clandestine schools for blacks here. Escaped north, became noted abolitionist orator and editor. Returned 1877, as U.S. . . . — Map (db m3732) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — From Shipwrecked Puppies to Iron DogsChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
While sailing home from England in 1807, George Law, a member of a prominent Maryland family, rescued Newfoundland puppies from sinking British ship and brought them home to the Chesapeake Bay. The puppies—named Sailor and Canton (the name of . . . — Map (db m138325) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Grave of General Perry Benson (1757-1827)
A leader in his home community and State. In the Revolutionary War he served as a captain, and was wounded twice. In the War of 1812, he commanded the militia in Talbot, Caroline and Dorchester Counties. — Map (db m61387) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Heard Through the FogChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
The U.S. Lighthouse Establishment built two cottage-style lighthouses in 1892—one in Chesapeake Bay waters at Maryland Point on the Potomac River and one in Sharkfin Shoal on Tangier Sound. Each of these was equipped with not only a lighted . . . — Map (db m138377) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Hooper Straight Light's TwinChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
After the first lighthouse at Janes Island near Crisfield was destroyed by ice in January 1879, a second screwpile lighthouse identical to the one at Hooper Strait (now located on Museum ground) replaced it. Ice struck the Janes Island Light again . . . — Map (db m138379) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Hooper Strait LighthouseChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
This lighthouse was originally located forty miles south of here –in Hopper Strait—where its light marked the location of one of the Chesapeake Bay’s many hidden sand bars. Because the Bay is mostly shallow, sailing a boat from the . . . — Map (db m61486) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — How the Screwpile Lighthouse Got Its Name
A screw like this one was at the bottom of each of the seven pilings (legs) of this lighthouse—allowing the leg to be screwed down into the soft Bay bottom. It would have been much easier to simply drive the leg straight down into the mud, but . . . — Map (db m61491) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Iconic Chesapeake LightChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
The hexagonal screwpile cottage-style light station off Thomas Point was lit in 1875, replacing an earlier tower on the shore. In 1914, the US Lighthouse Service noted that Thomas Point Shoal's fog bell sounded a triple stroke every 30 seconds using . . . — Map (db m138373) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Kennedy M. Fitzgerald(1987-2007)
Kennedy was a child of the Eastern Shore who touched many lives with his vibrant spirit and his love for the Chesapeake Bay. Growing up as a swimmer, boater, fisherman, and hunter, he was an Eagle Scout who worked summer jobs that would take . . . — Map (db m138360) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Last Bell FoundryChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Henry McShane started his Baltimore foundry in 1856, and by the late 1800s McShane Bell Foundry employed 90 people and produced tens of thousands of bells and chimes for churches, firehouses, public buildings and fog-alarm bells for lighthouses, . . . — Map (db m138374) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Lewis Tarr HouseBuilt in 1843
Home of the Chesapeake Log Canoes — Map (db m138300) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Lost OverboardChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Hundreds of armed schooners sailed from Baltimore during the War of 1812, carrying cannons like this to defend themselves or to capture a poorly defended British merchantman. Baltimore was such a hub of privateering trade that it attracted a British . . . — Map (db m138322) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Maritime Legend #21663"The Tow Rope"
Hand tonged in the Miles River in 1939 by local seafaring legend Frankie Alberto Morgan Wilkenship, this rope dates back to 1813. It was used during the British Invasion of St. Michaels. Maritime forensic experts claim the line "a true nautical . . . — Map (db m62851) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Maryland National Bank Building
The original portion of this building was constructed as a residence in 1806 and was remodeled for Maryland National Bank St. Michaels Office in 1963. — Map (db m138301) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Miniature Skipjack, SpatChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
A fairly simple and inexpensive boat to build, the skipjack became a popular workboat in the 1890s. Built in 1969, this miniature version of a skipjack was a sturdy, swift daysailer particularly suitable for Chesapeake Bay waters.

Length: . . . — Map (db m61496) HM

Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Navy Point Historic Houses
Eagle, Dodson and Higgins Houses have looked out over the St. Michaels waterfront for well over a hundred years now. When they were first built, the town's harbor would have been full of work boats, everything from oyster tonging skiffs and canoes . . . — Map (db m61335) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Navy Point Historic HousesChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Higgins, Dodson, and Eagle houses have looked out over the St. Michaels waterfront for well over a century. When they were built, the harbor was full of workboats, from oyster tonging skiffs and canoes to large commercial sailing vessels. Between . . . — Map (db m138307) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Oystering on the Chesapeake
The Chesapeake Bay is the greatest oyster factory on earth. Along its length, fresh water from the mid Atlantic states combines with salt water from the sea in just the right proportions (and at just the right depths and temperatures) to create the . . . — Map (db m61480) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Point Lookout Fog Bell TowerChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
When fog hides a lighthouse’s beacon, sailors need an audible signal to guide them. So a fog tower containing a bell was frequently built alongside a lighthouse. Large bells, such as the 1100 pound bell in this tower, were used because their sound . . . — Map (db m61483) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Point Lookout Fog Bell Tower
When fog hides a lighthouse's beacon, sailors need an audible signal to guide them. So a fog tower containing a bell was frequently built alongside a lighthouse. Large bells, such as the 1,100 pound bell in this tower were used because their sound . . . — Map (db m138371) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Pot Pie SkiffChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Waterman Lock Brando used this little skiff to catch crabs with a trotline, and perhaps to tong for a few oysters. The boat is steered by a simple mechanism with a stick on the starboard or right side, connected by ropes to the rudder in the stern. . . . — Map (db m138353) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Rebuilding Rosie Parks
Museum craftsmen are restoring this historic skipjack, which was built in 1955 to dredge oysters from the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay.

Why is this skipjack important? The celebrated Dorchester County boatbuilder Bronza Parks built Rosie Parks . . . — Map (db m61527) HM

Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Restoration
In 1975, Edna E. Lockwood was stripped to her log hull and restored from the waterline up. Now, those nine 127-year-old logs are finally in need of repair. Edna is currently undergoing a major restoration to replace her falling logs . . . — Map (db m138318) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Second Defense of St. Michaels
Here, August 26, 1813, General Perry Benson, with 600 militia, most of them from Talbot County, halted a British force of 1,800. The Easton artillery manned the road, the 4th and 26th infantry the woods, and the 9th cavalry the wings. — Map (db m3177) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — ShallopReplica — Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum —
In the summer of 1608, a small boat or a "shallop" like this was used by Captain John Smith to make the first detailed European exploration of the Chesapeake Bay. In the decades that followed, the knowledge gained from Smith's voyages played a key . . . — Map (db m138304) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Sharptown Barge
Sharptown barges developed on the Nanticoke River to fish for shad. Shad runs were a staple of Chesapeake springs on the 18th and 19th centuries, and their importance to the colonial Chesapeake economy earned them the nickname "The Founding Fish." . . . — Map (db m138367) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Skipjack CenterboardChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
This centerboard was the retractable keel for the skipjack Martha Lewis, a near sister to Rosie Parks, which can be found afloat along the Museum waterfront. — Map (db m138382) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Smith Island Crabbing Skiff
Smith Island watermen used boats like this to sail to their crabbing grounds, where they caught soft crabs with a dip net. Although engine-powered boats appeared in the area around 1907, sailing skiffs such as this continued to be used in the . . . — Map (db m138364) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — St. Michaels
This town was attacked by a British force during the night of August 10, 1813, but they were driven back to their boats at sunrise. A gun used in its defense is mounted in the town square. — Map (db m61386) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — St. Michaels Packing Company Warehouse
When the St. Michaels Packing Company constructed this building in 1933, the Great Depression was at its height. To economize, the company bought a freight terminal in nearby Claiborne, Maryland from Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic Railway Company, . . . — Map (db m138363) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — The Miles River
In front of you, the Miles River is carrying freshwater down to the Chesapeake Bay. Twice a day, saltwater tides from the Atlantic Ocean push back the fresh water flow of the Miles River and some 150 other rivers, creeks, and streams. This mixing of . . . — Map (db m61529) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — This Cannon
This Cannon was used against the British in Defence of St. Michaels, MD -- August 10, 1813 and mounted here August 11, 1913 by the following Centennial Commission. Thomas H. Sewell, Charles H Fogg, Richard S. Dodson, John T. Mansfield, O. . . . — Map (db m61337) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Tolchester BandstandChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
On this Victorian bandstand, musicians played for holiday visitors at Tolchester Beach, in Kent County. In the mid 1800s people from Baltimore and other Mid-Atlantic cities traveled to Tolchester Beach and other Eastern Shore destinations on . . . — Map (db m62939) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Tolchester Beach Bandstand
From 1880 until 1962, musicians entertained summer visitors from this bandstand at Tolchester Beach, a resort town and amusement park in Kent County, Maryland. Constructed to attract daytrippers traveling by steamboat from Baltimore and Washington, . . . — Map (db m138378) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Too Much of a Good Thing
Chesapeake waterman used all these tools to harvest oysters. This hardware tells a story of human ingenuity and greed.

Hand tongs, in use since the early 1700s, extended human reach to oysters too deep to gather by hand. A hundred years later, . . . — Map (db m61493) HM

Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Tools of the OystermenChesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Chesapeake watermen used these tools to harvest oysters. Over time, oystering tools ranged from simple to complex, reflecting changes in technology, regulation, and oyster populations. A hundred years later, dredges—much more efficient, but . . . — Map (db m138351) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Under FireStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Eleven British barges advanced on the small battery guarding St. Michaels at Parrott’s Point August 10, 1813. Their mission was to capture or destroy any armed vessels rumored to be operating on the river. American defenders fired twice, then . . . — Map (db m80676) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — War in the ChesapeakeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
During the War of 1812 the young United States was enrolled in conflict with Great Britain. From 1812 to 1815 Americans fought to protect their rights and economic independence. They faced superior enemy forces on the homefront and the high seas. . . . — Map (db m61389) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — What is a waterman?
A waterman harvests fish and shellfish for a living. Each season has its catch to harvest and its gear to prepare. Watermen and their families have worked on the Bay for hundreds of years. To succeed, they must be flexible. Their living depends . . . — Map (db m138352) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — What's under your feet?
If you could drill down and pull up a sample, oyster shells would be up to 10 feet deep in some places. But that wasn't always the case. Two hundred years ago you would have been standing on low marshy land. As industries like oyster shucking . . . — Map (db m138314) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — “Compton”
Patented 1664 to James Elvard. Acquired by William Stevens before 1700. His grandson Samuel Stevens, Jr. member of Legislature 1808 to 1820. Governor of Maryland 1822 to 1825. During his administration Jews were enfranchised. When Lafayette visited . . . — Map (db m3333) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — “Hole-in-the-Wall”
. . . — Map (db m3328) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — “The Wilderness”
Part of present house, a lower wing, built c. 1700. Home of Daniel Martin and his son Nicholas, who was captain in 38th Battalion of Maryland Militia during Revolutionary War and died here in 1808. Nicholas Martin’s son Daniel, elected Governor of . . . — Map (db m3335) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Home Run Baker Park
This Park is Dedicated to Hall of Fame Inductee John Franklin "Home Run" Baker (1886-1963) Baseball's First Home Run Hero and "As fine a citizen as any town could have." Of all the players in the history of baseball, it may sound . . . — Map (db m4380) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Nathaniel (Nace) Hopkins
Leader of his people who was born a slave circa 1830; fought for Union in Civil War; originated annual Trappe Emancipation Day celebration, 1867, and headed it until his death in 1900. One of the founders of Scott‘s Methodist Church. Helped . . . — Map (db m5586) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Nathaniel HopkinsSoldier from Trappe
This was the home of Nathaniel Hopkins, known affectionately in Talbot County as "Uncle Nace." He was born a slave near here in 1831. After leaving his owner, Percy McKnett, and serving in the United States Colored Troops during the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m3332) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Old White Marsh Episcopal Church
Original structure built before 1690. Early 18th century rector was the Reverend Daniel Maynadier. A later provincial rector (1764–1768), the Reverend Thomas Bacon, compiled “Bacon’s Laws,” authoritative compendium of Colonial . . . — Map (db m3330) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Robert Morris, Sr.
Below this plaque lies the grave of Robert Morris, Sr., buried 1750. An ironmonger in Liverpool, England before he immigrated to Oxford, Maryland where he became a successful merchant and agent. Mr. Morris accumulated a fortune that he bequeathed . . . — Map (db m3331) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Site of Trappe High School
Site of Trappe High School. 1870 - 1944. — Map (db m4381) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Unionville — Union Soldiers
Buried here, ex-slaves and free blacks who fought for the Union in the Civil War: John Blackwell; Ennels Clayton; Isaac Copper; John Copper; Benjamin Demby; Charles Demby; William Doane; William Doran; Harace Gibson; Zachary Glasgow; . . . — Map (db m65692) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Unionville — Unionville
Historic African-American community settled by ex-slaves and free blacks. Many were in Union Army in Civil War; village's name honors local soldiers. Unionville grew after the war to nearly 40 buildings with church and school. In cemetery are 18 . . . — Map (db m3893) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Unionville — UnionvilleFounded to Honor their Service
From the beginning of the Civil War, Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman urged President Abraham Lincoln to allow blacks to enlist in the U.S. Army and fight for their freedom. On May 22, 1863, General Orders 143 were issued stating "A Bureau is . . . — Map (db m61390) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — A Brief History of the Mill
Out of hundreds of mills on the East Coast in colonial times, only a few survive, and fewer still operate. As the oldest working mill in Maryland (c. 1682), this flour-producing "grist" mill has participated in three centuries of war, . . . — Map (db m67286) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — A Glimpse Inside a Giant
The branch that once grew from the “face” before you weighed in at around 35 tons and was nearly 50 feet long. That’s on single branch! This segment of the tree reveals much about trees in general. The rings that can be seen . . . — Map (db m113614)
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Old Wye Episcopal Church
Only remaining Anglican Church in Talbot County. Built 1721 as a Chapel-of-Ease by donations of 60,000 pounds of tobacco and 100 pounds sterling. Originally named St. Luke’s, it was a place of worship until 1829. Reconstructed in 1854, but later . . . — Map (db m3156) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Preserving a LegacyThe Wye Oak
For well over 450 years, a quiet giant stood marking the passage of time for many generations. The Wye Oak survived through the birth of a nation, the Civil War, and two World Wars. Located alongside what was once a Native American Trail and later . . . — Map (db m113580) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — So, How Does a Mill Work?
It starts with the grain ... Grist mills grind a variety of grains, such as barley, wheat, rye and corn. Here at the Wye Mill, native grown corn and wheat were the most common "grist for the mill." In years gone bye, the corn was husked and then . . . — Map (db m67288) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — The “Little House” in the Shade
Once shaded by the might Wye Oak, a quiet brick structure, a story and half high sill stands today.The structure dates back to about 1800 and it is said by local lore to have served as a one-room schoolhouse. The Queen Anne Garden Club restored . . . — Map (db m113574) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — The Wye Grist Millcirca 1682
The Wye Grist Mill, one of Maryland's oldest commercial buildings, has operated almost continuously grinding Eastern Shore grains. — Map (db m137771) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — The Wye Oak
The largest white oak in the United States. Estimated to be 400 years old (1940). Deeded to the state of Maryland Sept. 20, 1939, and made a state park. — Map (db m3898) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Wye Grist MillMaryland's oldest working mill and one of its oldest commerical buildings
The building on which this information is posted is a replica of a typical Colonial-era "corn crib." It was built as an Eagle Scout project in 2012 by Scott Bell. It includes material reclaimed from a Colonial-era corn crib located on Kent Island, . . . — Map (db m67290) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Wye Grist Mill and Museum
Out of hundreds of mills on the East Coast in colonial times, only a few survive, and fewer still operate. As the oldest working mill in Maryland (1682), the flour producing “grist” mill in front of you has participated in three . . . — Map (db m3163) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Wye OakNational Champion White Oak
The Baltimore Sun declared the Wye Oak “a symbol of all that is noble in ancient and honored trees, ...a battered giant from out of the mists of history which still resides among us.” At approximately 450 years of age, the noble . . . — Map (db m3165) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Wye Oak House
Built about 1720. Said to be the second oldest Public School in Talbot County. Restored by the Garden Clubs of Queen Anne’s and Talbot Counties in 1952. — Map (db m3166) HM

113 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020