The Hampton Springs Hotel was built in 1908 and was destroyed by fire in 1954. The hotel was world renowned for its sulphur springs and baths known for their healing and medicinal powers. The luxurious hotel boasted lush gardens with elaborate . . . — — Map (db m17720) HM
In 1853, a family of free blacks established the Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church in what was then known as Rosehead, later Perry. The roots of African-American education in Taylor County began with this church, which remains the oldest . . . — — Map (db m67600) HM
The Perry Army Air Base of World War II stood in an 862 acre area south and west of this point.
The 441st and 312th Fighter Squadrons of the Third Army Air Force trained replacement pilots for combat units worldwide.
The 338th Fighter . . . — — Map (db m17717) HM
Robert M. Hendry moved from Georgia and purchased farmland in the Shady Grove area in 1852. Reverend Henry, a Methodist Circuit Rider in Florida and Georgia, served as the pastor of Friendship Church in Madison County. In 1872, members of the . . . — — Map (db m110897) HM
Located at the mouth of the Steinhatchee River, Deadman Bay was on Spanish maps by the early 1500s. Spanish Conquistador Panfilo de Narvaez came through the area in 1529 followed by Hernando de Soto ten years later. DeSoto crossed the Steinhatchee . . . — — Map (db m67599) HM