Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Terrebonne Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Old Cattle Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
January 8, 2016
Old Cattle Trail Marker
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chacahoula — Old Cattle Trail
Route led from Mexico to the Mississippi River at Vacherie. One segment, Bull Run Road, starting at Central, ended at Chacahoula. The trail continued West along ridges to Gibson, Morgan City, the Teche lands. and on to el Camino Real during latter . . . — Map (db m92138) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chauvin — Bayou Petit CaillouMarguerite Moffett Audubon Sanctuary — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Bald cypress swamps and freshwater marshes once thrived here, but natural and man-made changes to the hydrology eventually allowed salt water to begin encroaching into these delicate coastal bayous. Today they are tidal arms of the Gulf of . . . — Map (db m115136) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chauvin — Saint Joseph Church
Father Jean-Marie Joseph Denecé settled at Petite Caillou soon after his ordination during the Civil War. He organized the parish established on Nov. 9, 1864 by Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., to serve the people of South Terrebonne. Fr. Denecé built . . . — Map (db m92703) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Cocodrie — La Butte
This Indian mound was constructed around AD 1000. It is 7 feet tall with a square~shaped base. It was once part of a larger complex made up of up to five mounds. The oak tree on the northwest corner is thought to mark the grave of Houma Courteau . . . — Map (db m85298) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gibson — Gibson Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected 1849 on land donated by Cornelius and John Wallis. During Civil War church was used as hospital. Entered National Register of Historic Places May 8, 1986. — Map (db m86081) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Isles Dernieres(Last Island)
English side Over 200 persons were killed when a giant tidal wave hit last island, 45 miles south of Houma, on June 10, 1856. The resort was a playground for southern aristocrats. Fishermen (with boats) call it a Sportsman''s . . . — Map (db m121415) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Mysteries of the WetlandsGhost forests, alluring lights and the Rougarou
Slow-moving waters, exotic birds, buzzing insects, and underwater ripples reminds us that this is a wild place, as unpredictable as the shifting ground we stand upon. In these untamed wetlands - not quite solid land, not quite open water - what is . . . — Map (db m121193) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Tomb Of Henry Schuyler Thibodaux
Born Albany, New York, 1769. Died at his plantation near this place, 1827. "Father of Terrebone Parish" and Acting-Governor of Louisiana, 1824. — Map (db m92136) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — 1834-1934
This tablet is placed by the City Government in commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of Houma, and in memory of its founders, Richard H. Grinage and Hubert M. Belanger. Public spirited citizens, who on May 10, 1834, donated this property for a . . . — Map (db m104235) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Bayou TerrebonneHistoric highway for commerce and life
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the bayou in front of you was Houma's busiest thoroughfare. You might have seen hunters, trappers and fisherman bringing seafood and animal hides to market. Boatmen hauled crops to inland railroad hubs. Profiteers . . . — Map (db m123349) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Magnolia CemeteryFounded In 1883
Magnolia Cemetery was originally founded as a resting place for members of the Protestant faith. The land chosen was along Bayou Terrebonne. The original board of directors consisted of Peter Berger, John Hubbard, Lucius Suthon, John Winder, William . . . — Map (db m85057) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — New Acadia / Nouvelle Acadie
Over 2,500 Acadians settled in the Spanish colony of Louisiana between 1764 and 1788, Although victims of the Deportation, none were deported directly to Louisiana.

Acadians made their way to Louisiana from various locations. The first . . . — Map (db m123326) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Orange Grove
Built c. 1840. Noted for its handsome Greek Revival styling, its briquette-entre-poteaux (bricks set between posts) construction, and its faux bois (false grained) woodwork. Listed in National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92691) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Residence Plantation
Queen Anne Revival style house built in 1898 by Roberta Volumnia Barrow Slatter. Constructed using materials from a house built on same site in 1854 by her parents noted Louisiana planter Robert Ruffin Barrow and Volumnia Hunley Barrow, sister of . . . — Map (db m92849) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Saint Francis de Sales Church
Mother Church in the civil parish of Terrebonne, St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1847. The intrepid zeal of the Reverend Canon Charles Menard, Apostle of Lafourche and Terrebonne, laid the foundation of this Parish. During the tenure of Fr. Z. . . . — Map (db m85950) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne BasinMandalay National Wildlife Refuge Nature Trail — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
The southern part of the Terrebonne Basin faces many challenges, including substantial subsidence, coastal erosion, marsh loss from sediment and saltwater intrusion.

The Terrebonne Basin is part of the Lafourche Delta that formed between 800 . . . — Map (db m115138) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks
Marker 1 These majestic southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in this Terrebonne Courthouse Square were planted during the winter of 1886 by Bernard Filhucan Bazet. Mr. Bazet was born in Lasserre, France in 1832, entered Terrebonne Parish . . . — Map (db m104676) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — The Grand Dérangement / Le Grand Dérangement
Panel 1 English

L'Acadie, established by France in 1604, was a strategically located and highly coveted colony. In 1713, it was handed over to England and renamed Nova Scotia. The foundation of Halifax, in 1749, led part of the. . . . — Map (db m123267) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — When Oysters Were KingThe boom years: 1890-1940
European settlers found oysters abundant in coastal Louisiana. By 1890, enterprising Houma oystermen saw opportunity in the availability of ice, expanding railroads, and advances in canning. Oysters could now be shipped across the nation.

Houma . . . — Map (db m123337) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — YRF-4C Phantom IIs/n 62-12201
First entering service in 1960, the McDonnell F-4 Phantom I was designed as a U.S. Navy fleet defense fighter, and was soon adopted by the U.S. Air Force as a fighter-bomber. RF-4 Phantoms also proved capable high performance reconnaissance . . . — Map (db m115474) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — "Hello Baby!"
J.P. Richardson, Jr., better known as the "Big Bopper" lived 1 mile south of this site in the 1950s in a garage apartment on Arcement Street near the intersection at French Street. In 1952, Richardson married Adrianne Joy Fryou, a native of the . . . — Map (db m92805) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Montegut School
Montegut School is one of the oldest in Terrebonne Parish. It lies on land that was purchased on January 27, 1912, from Point Farm Planting Co. for $1,100. For a total of $10,158 the school was built and furnished. Along with its past and present . . . — Map (db m92668) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Sacred Heart Church
Father Charles Menard of St. Joseph's Church, Thibodaux, LA., offered the first mass on this bayou, June 1842. The original mission chapel was built in 1843, about a mile below this site. Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., appointed as first pastor in . . . — Map (db m92886) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Schriever — Sugar Row PlantationsGrand old estates, rich in history
Sugarcane cultivation brought wealth to planters here along Bayou Black and present-day highway 311. A handful of mansions remain standing, flanked by majestic trees. The Sugar Row Plantations thrived during the decades following the end of . . . — Map (db m123363) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.