Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tioga County New York Historical Markers

 
Berkshire Marker image, Touch for more information
By Forest McDermott, July 24, 2014
Berkshire Marker
New York (Tioga County), Berkshire — Berkshire
This part of Boston Purchase deeds of partition 1789 settled mostly by pioneers from Berkshire, Co. Mass. 1790-1791 — Map (db m77927) HM
New York (Tioga County), Candor — Hollister House
Hollister House Built 1795 by Thomas Hollister. The first framed house & first public house in Candor. — Map (db m141731) HM
New York (Tioga County), Candor — James McMaster
Pioneer, Revolutionary soldier to whom was granted title "McMaster's half township" 1788 lies buried near here. — Map (db m141741) HM
New York (Tioga County), Newark Valley — Fairfield United Methodist Church
Incorporated as Methodist Episcopal Church of Lower Fairfield, 1900 Land deeded by Alfred & Mary Dennis Building dedicated, 1901 Ladies Aid Society formed, 1900. — Map (db m141737) HM
New York (Tioga County), Newark Valley — Maple Tree
Maple Tree By tradition on this site was a blazed maple tree in 1786 spared when an indian trail was widened into wagon road. Town of Newark Valley — Map (db m141713) HM
New York (Tioga County), Newark Valley — The First School
First school in Tioga County 1796 conducted in bark shanty just west of this site. — Map (db m141712) HM
New York (Tioga County), Newark Valley — Wade Farm
Wade Farm Purchased 1833 by Lewis Wade, 1791-1862, musician War of 1812. Owned and worked successively By Lewis Wade, William Wade Edgar O. Wade, Floyd E. Wade. State Education Department 1938 — Map (db m141742) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — 1849 Great Fire
1849 Great Fire Site of Hall of Sons of Temperance where fire began. Three stores left standing 104 buildings were burned exclusive of barns — Map (db m141773) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — A Log House
First permanent building in this part of valley built 1785 near here by James McMaster & party. — Map (db m141738) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Ahgawa Hotel
Built 1852, torn down 1959 Site where Thomas "Boss" Platt conducted state and National Republican affairs late 19th to 20th century — Map (db m141764) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Central Owego Historic District
Listed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior. — Map (db m141846) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Fishing the Susquehanna
One of the most sought after fish in the early 1800’s was the shad. The river had plenty of them. They swam up from the Chesapeake Bay all the way to Owego and beyond. As the river changed, and dams were put in and removed, and river craft and . . . — Map (db m141837) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
John J. Taylor 1808-1892 Judge, Lawyer 27th Congress 1852-1854 D.A. Tioga Co. 1841-1843 1846 Constitutional Conv. — Map (db m141758) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
General Henry Martyn Robert, Parliamentarian Resided here while writing Robert's Rules of Order revised, published 1915 — Map (db m141762) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
Father and son John M. Parker 1805-1873 Justice Supreme Court 1859-1873 Charles E. Parker 1836-1909 Justice Supreme Court 1887-1907 — Map (db m141808) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former SiteFemale Seminary 1843-1865
Female seminary 1843 -1865 Belva A. Lockwood principal 1863-1865, National Equal Rights Party candidate for U S President 1884 and 1888 — Map (db m141767) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Hiawatha Bridge
Erected 1968 Named in commemoration of the Indian Sachem Hiawatha of the Iroquois Nation — Map (db m41580) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Historic Site
John D. Rockefeller, Sr. 1839-1937 lived here c. 1850-1854 on the Marcus Lamont farm Visited here 1892 thru 1928 — Map (db m141685) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — 369 — Home Of Elizabeth Brown Chatfield
Home of Elizabeth Brown Chatfield, suffragist and secretary to Susan B. Anthony, who stayed here March 28 1894 while on speaking tour. — Map (db m132759) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Ithaca-Owego RR
Second chartered in state. Inc. June 28, 1828 crossed the village park to terminus on site of Ahwaga Park — Map (db m141753) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Jas. McMaster
James Mc Master was granted title to the west half township Site of present village of Owego 1788 — Map (db m141769) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Native American Roots
Jesse McQuigg made the following statement in 1851 when he witnessed Native Americans passing from the headwaters of the Susquehanna River at Otsego Lake on their way to Tioga Point, Chenango Point or Cayuga Lake around 1790 when he was just a boy. . . . — Map (db m141839) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — On the Site of Owego
On the Site of Owego Aug. 19-20, 1779 encamped 3000 Continental soldiers the union of General Clinton's army which had advanced from Otsego Lake with a convoy of 208 Bateaux and a detachment under General Poor from General . . . — Map (db m141830) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Owego & Ithaca Turnpike
Incorporated 1807 Giving northern settlement access to markets of Pennsylvania & Maryland. — Map (db m141725) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Owego RiverwalkThe Susquehanna River
Welcome to Owego and the Susquehanna River. The Susquehanna is a long name for a long river. From its start at Otsego Lake, near Cooperstown, New York, it meanders 444 miles from New York through Pennsylvania, arriving at Havre de Grace, Maryland, . . . — Map (db m141831) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Owego RiverwalkWelcome to Owego, New York
Owego was the site of the Iroquois Indian village "Owagea" destroyed by American forces under Generals James Clinton and John Sullivan in 1779, during the Revolutionary War. The Susquehanna River played an important part in the history of Owego. The . . . — Map (db m141832) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Routes of the ArmiesOf General John Sullivan and General James Clinton — 1779 —
An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. Rear Face: Through the . . . — Map (db m141825) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Steamboats and Docks
Steamboats were a common sight in this part of the Susquehanna in the 19th century. The first one to ply the Owego section in the spring of 1826 for several weeks was the "Cadorus,” built in 1825 at York Haven, Pennsylvania. That seems . . . — Map (db m141838) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — The Bridges of Owego
Prior to the early 19th century, it seems that the easiest and most common way to get across the Susquehanna River was simply to walk through the shallow water. It was easy to find locations where fording was possible with water from bank to bank . . . — Map (db m141834) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Tioga County Memorial
Tioga County To Her Heroes Who Fought And Her Martyrs Who Fell That The Union Might Live. — Map (db m141809) WM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Two Rivers GreenwayOwego Segment
Welcome to Owego The Village of Owego affords all the pleasures of small-town life to its visitors and locals alike. Situated on the banks of the picturesque Susquehanna River, Owego has scenic natural views from the Court Street Bridge and . . . — Map (db m141853) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — 309 — World War II
Home of "Shangri-La WAC" Cpl. Margaret J. Hastings who survived 47 days in New Guinea jungle after May 13, 1945 plane crash — Map (db m128006) HM
New York (Tioga County), Richford — Early Turnpike
Commission of 1797: - “To Lay Out the Road Leading from Cattskill Landing – to Catherinestown in the County of Tioga.” — Map (db m76140) HM
New York (Tioga County), Richford — First Church
Organized 1821, Built 1823 by Puritan Settlers. Rebuilt in 1854. Original Bell Now in Use. — Map (db m76144) HM
New York (Tioga County), Richford — Public Square
Granted by deed to the Town of Richford by the pioneers Ezek. Rich and Stephen Wells October 9, 1821 — Map (db m76142) HM
New York (Tioga County), Richford — The Old Abbey
Built in 1813 by Samuel Smith who kept a Tavern here The Richford Post Office Established here in 1830 — Map (db m76143) HM
New York (Tioga County), Waverly — Routes of the Armiesof General John Sullivan and General James Clinton — 1779 —
An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. — Map (db m150085) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020