The parkway bridge is named in honor of United States Representative Jamie L. Whitten who for years fought for funds in Congress to complete the Natchez Trace Parkway and the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.
His vision helped make possible this . . . — — Map (db m84731) HM
Lyman Corbitt “Mac” McAnally, Jr., grew up in Belmont, where he sang and played piano at Belmont First Baptist Church before becoming a session musician and songwriter at the age of fifteen. McAnally wrote and recorded . . . — — Map (db m41122) HM
The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway has three main parts. The largest section from Demopolis, Alabama, north to Amory, Mississippi, utilizes the Tombigbee River but changes and shortens the existing channel with dams, locks, and short cuts. From Amory . . . — — Map (db m84732) HM
In the mid 1700's Sieur de Bienville, founder of Mobile, recommended to Louis XIV, a waterway connecting the Tennessee River with the Tombigbee River. Later, American settlers also recognized the advantages of such a shortcut. Residents of Knox . . . — — Map (db m84730) HM
Built at Eastport and moved to Iuka circa 1860, this house served as Confederate Brigadier General Henry Little's headquarters during the battle of Iuka. Killed in the action, Little was buried in the yard of the house. His body was later moved to . . . — — Map (db m51744) HM
Bloody clash of Sept. 19, 1862 resulted from attempt of Gen. Wm. Rosencrans, U.S.A., to expel Gen. Sterling Price, C.S.A., from N.E. Mississippi.
In 2 hours one-third of men engaged were casualties. — — Map (db m51750) HM
A Native of Maryland, Confederate Brigadier General Lewis Henry Little (1817-1862) was the son of a long~time U.S. congressman and a former U.S. Army officer. As a Confederate general, Little was given command of Missouri troops and headed a . . . — — Map (db m51748) HM
Erected in 1873, this board-and-batten Carpenter Gothic structure was designed by James B. Cook, Architect, and was purchased by citizens from the Episcopal Diocese in 1985 to prevent removal. Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1991. . . . — — Map (db m51747) HM
Chartered in 1857. Often used as military headquarters in the Civil War. Site of one of the South's first normals. Iuka's mineral waters took first prize at St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. — — Map (db m51743) HM
Chartered members from Eastport. Edifice erected 1859.
Used as hospital during & after battle of Iuka.
Structure damaged & records lost in War.
Bishop Hoss formally dedicated building, 1898. — — Map (db m51746) HM
H.A. Dean & John Newhardt, continuing work begun in 1857, opened Iuka Normal Institute in 1882. Their reputations brought students from throughout the South. Graduates won distinctions. — — Map (db m66871) HM
Land acquired 1857. Courthouse built 1888. Was in use from 1889 to 1971. Former Governor J.M. Stone supervised erection. Building housed Tishomingo County Singing Convention from 1917 until 1971. — — Map (db m51745) HM
Revolutionary War soldier who enlisted at Laurens County, SC, in 1778. Served three years. Fought at Kings Mountain, SC, the turning point battle of the Revolutionary War in the South. Patriot William Gray lies at rest with his family in old Gray . . . — — Map (db m66891) HM
During the battle of Iuka on Sept. 19, 1862, the 11th Ohio battery repulsed four Confederate assaults before finally being overrun by the 3rd Texas Cavalry, 3rd Louisiana Infantry and the Texas Legion. Of the fifty-four cannoneers in the battery, . . . — — Map (db m51749) HM
According to tradition, Woodall Mountain was called Yaw Hill or Yaw Mountain before 1898. It was renamed for Zaphaniah H. Woodall, who was the sheriff of Tishomingo County when, in 1887, the first Tishomingo County Courthouse at Iuka, along with the . . . — — Map (db m105689) HM
The village site was occupied as early as 8000 B.C. by hunters who stayed only long enough to prepare their kill. From the time of Christ to 1000 A.D., migratory people of this area practiced limited agriculture.
The nearby fields and streams . . . — — Map (db m36061) HM
The description of the ground surface and the type of rock indicate that this cave was a result of solution activity. A long room or corridor was dissolved out of the rock by under-ground water. The roof of the room eventually weakened and . . . — — Map (db m84728) HM