Overlooking one of the city's four public squares platted in 1893, this site was obtained from the Texas Legislature in 1913 for a public library. Completed in 1933, this building represents the most prominent public work of Austin native Hugo . . . — — Map (db m25757) HM
A native of North Carolina, Abner Cook came to the newly created capital city of Austin in 1839 with a skill in design and construction that soon earned him the title of master builder. Working as architect, engineer, and contractor, Cook produced . . . — — Map (db m43478) HM
Built in 1935 for Mary Susie Sheedy, this house changed hands three times before being purchased by University of Texas electrician Charles J. Addcox and his wife, Addie Lee, a homemaker and nursery school operator, in 1944. It became known as the . . . — — Map (db m25742) HM
Texas in 1861-1865 had 90,000 men fighting for the south – many in units east of the Mississippi. Yet at home she had to defend 2,000 miles of coastline and frontier from constant threats made by Federals, Indians and outlaws.
The State . . . — — Map (db m43118) HM
Many African Americans, free and slave, supported Texas during its 1835-36 war of independence from Mexico. Although official recognition of the African American role was generally denied, recorded accounts of individual acts of bravery and . . . — — Map (db m25746) HM
Born in Kentucky in 1803, Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston died on April 6, 1862, from wounds suffered in the Battle of Shiloh. His remains were placed in the Texas State Cemetery in 1867. Elisabet Ney, Texas’ most prominent . . . — — Map (db m96279) WM
This edifice stands on the mid-1840s land grant of former Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, and near the official residence of the second Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, the Rt. Rev. George Herbert Kinsolving (1849-1928). Aided by the . . . — — Map (db m25747) HM
A native of Alabama, Andrew Jackson Hamilton moved his family to Texas in the 1840s. He served as State Attorney General and as a member of the State Legislature before being elected to the U.S. Congress in 1859. An opponent of secession, he left . . . — — Map (db m25682) HM
Voted Austin's most worthy citizen twice, Indiana native Andrew Jackson Zilker (1858-1934) grew up with a strong respect for the laborers along the Ohio River. He came to Austin penniless in 1876 but quickly became a businessman and bank director. . . . — — Map (db m25697) HM
A good will trip made in 1709, when Spain was uneasy about her 190-year-old claim to Texas, (She had closed East Texas missions, then had learned of a French trading visit to Texas, 1707.) Capt. Pedro de Aguirre and 14 soldiers escorted from a . . . — — Map (db m82323) HM
Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil . . . — — Map (db m25701) HM
Tax supported, locally controlled secondary education began in Austin in 1881 with the establishment of a high school department in the city school district. Plans for implementing the program were developed under the leadership of school board . . . — — Map (db m25705) HM
An ornate, red brick building at this site served as the first structure in town built for the public high school, founded in 1881. Construction of the facility was hastened when classrooms in the former temporary State Capitol at 11th and Congress . . . — — Map (db m25753) HM
In Edwin Waller’s 1839 plan for the City of Austin, two blocks were set aside for schools at Rio Grande and 12th Street, then called College Avenue. The Austin School Board in 1881 authorized the use of existing school facilities on the south block . . . — — Map (db m25755) HM
As the population of the city of Austin grew larger during the early 20th century, a privately owned cemetery with plots available for purchase by the public became necessary. In 1927, Austin Memorial Park, a private corporation, purchased farm land . . . — — Map (db m100083) HM
This seminary had its origins in the Austin School of Theology, begun in 1884 by the Rev. Dr. Richmond Kelley Smoot and the Rev. Dr. Robert Lewis Dabney to provide training for candidates for the Presbyterian ministry whom the founders hoped would . . . — — Map (db m25756) HM
The Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary held its first classes in a donated building at 9th and Navasota. President T.R. Sampson, hoping to create a strong association between the seminary and the University of Texas, promoted the relocation of . . . — — Map (db m25732) HM
While Texas was a frontier state and psychiatry a pioneer venture, the Texas Legislature in 1856 created this hospital for the mentally ill; in 1925, named Austin State Hospital.
Oldest Texas mental hospital.
Construction began in 1857. The . . . — — Map (db m25758) HM
Begun as family residence by Mrs. Catherine North in 1874. Completed in style of French Chateau by Austin banker, Maj. Ira Evans, 1892.
Bought by charter members, A.W.C., 1929. Remodelled, using 19th century materials. — — Map (db m25759) HM
An active place during the Civil War, Austin was the site of the Secession Convention, March 2, 1861, and legislative sessions which lasted until June 1865. City visitors during the early 1860s included lobbyists, cotton speculators, military . . . — — Map (db m25723) HM
City of Austin Marker:
This is one of 31 original moonlight towers installed in Austin in 1895. Seventeen remain. Each tower illuminated a circle of 3000 feet using 6 carbon arc lamps (now mercury vapor). Austin's tower lights are the sole . . . — — Map (db m26157) HM
Curving through the center of Texas from Hill County south and west to Uvalde County is the rugged escarpment-fault called Balcones. The abundance of natural resources associated with this geologic formation affected the pattern of colonization in . . . — — Map (db m71914) HM
Built in 1898 for cotton merchant William Braxton Barr (1864-1902) and his wife, Matilda (Tilly) Birdwell (1868-1951), this home was designed by Austin architect Charles Page. Barr named the surrounding community after his grandfather Capt. Erasmus . . . — — Map (db m25740) HM
Clear and icy, these springs over the years have drawn Indians, pioneers, and tourists to this spot. The waters are brought from the limestone strata to the surface by the Balcones Fault, which bisects Central Texas. Average flow is 27,000,000 . . . — — Map (db m25770) HM
Hermann Becker (1857-1933) operated a successful downtown café, and he bought part of the historic Bouldin homestead in south Austin in 1891. His son H.E. Becker and son-in-law P.A. Wilde, proprietors of the Becker Lumber Company, donated three . . . — — Map (db m43692) HM
This cemetery was established in the late 1800s when burial space set aside for African Americans in Austin's historic Oakwood Cemetery was no longer available. The oldest recorded burial is that of infant Hellen Moore in 1879. C. W. Jones purchased . . . — — Map (db m25774) HM
Blackshear Elementary School opened in 1891 to provide free public education to African-American children in the community then known as Gregory Town, Blackshear Elementary School was known in earlier years as School No. 3, Gregory Town School and . . . — — Map (db m25776) HM
According to local tradition, in the winter of 1859, 23-year-old John Davis joined a community wagon train headed for work in the pine forests of Bastrop County. Davis, sprayed by a skunk during the night, began running wildly through the camp. He . . . — — Map (db m69116) HM
When Edwin Waller surveyed the Austin townsite in 1839, he set aside this block, in what was then the northeast corner of the city, for a hospital. The site lay empty until 1884, when the City of Austin and Travis County jointly opened a 20-bed, . . . — — Map (db m25779) HM
This simple Vernacular Rough Ashlar house represents the life style of the late 19th century working middle class family in Austin. The exterior proportions of the structure reflect Victorian influence. Built of limestone about 1870 by John R. . . . — — Map (db m25780) HM
Albert and Rebecca Buddington built the first part of this compound as their home c. 1860. In 1921, it became the home of Dr. Harry Y. Benedict, a mathematician who served as University of Texas Professor and President. Delia Edwards, a later owner, . . . — — Map (db m25789) HM
Colonial Revival mansion built 1902 by Austin financier Louis Nicholas Goldbeck. Sold 1908 to Texas Association of Phi Gamma Delta, national fraternity first chartered in Texas in 1856.
Housing Tau Deuteron Chapter, this has been campus residence . . . — — Map (db m25790) HM
In the 1930's and 40's, the Cactus Theater was owned by legendary vaudeville performer Richard “Skinny” Pryor, and featured cowboy and Spanish language movies. His son, Cactus Pryor, would sell patrons their tickets, pop the popcorn, and . . . — — Map (db m69750) HM
The original 85-acre tract (gift of Austin citizens in 1892) was the site of annual encampments for the Texas Volunteer Guard, an elite militia constituted in 1876. Because larger maneuver, parade, and drill areas were needed, the guardsmen worked . . . — — Map (db m25791) HM
Here sleep Capt. and Mrs. Chauncey Johnson. Capt. Johnson was born in Burlington, Vermont May 1, 1798. Served in the War of 1812. Came to Texas in 1840. Captured by General Adrian Woll at San Antonio, September 11, 1842 and imprisoned in Mexico. . . . — — Map (db m25696) HM
A soldier in the Army of Texas, 1835. Commander of Company C. First Regiment, Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. Member of the 1st and 2nd Congresses of the Republic. Participated in the Woll Campaign, 1842. Member of the Senate, 5th and 8th . . . — — Map (db m25775) HM
Born in Mississippi November 25, 1810. Came to Texas in 1833. A volunteer in the Army at Anahuac, 1835. Commanded a company at the Capture of San Antonio, 1835. Signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Commanded a company at San Jacinto. First . . . — — Map (db m25676) HM
Leonidas D. Carrington (1816-97) and his wife, Martha Hill Carrington (1824-59), came to Austin from Mississippi in 1852. He began to accumulate real estate and on Sept. 15, 1853, bought this block from James M.W. Hall, Austin hotelman, and ten days . . . — — Map (db m25792) HM
Tradition holds that a family passing through the area in 1912 buried a child, Maria de la Luz, at this site. In August of that year, A. Donley, A.C. Rodriguez and S. Galvan bought the land for use as a Mexican cemetery. In the 1940s, a fire set to . . . — — Map (db m25797) HM
In 1847, Eight years after the City of Austin was platted, ten members of the Disciples of Christ Brotherhood met to organize this congregation. Although early records of the church are scarce, it is known that regular worship services were being . . . — — Map (db m25798) HM
This congregation traces its roots to October 13, 1839, when Austin’s first Presbyterian worship service was held at Bullock’s Hotel. Present that day was builder Abner Cook, elder in the first Presbyterian church organized in Austin. He helped . . . — — Map (db m25633) HM
Patriot, philanthropist, writer, public figure, born at St. Mary’s, Refugio County; daughter of Robert and Julia Fox Driscoll, and descendant of a hero of San Jacinto; was educated in Texas, New York and France.
In 1903 came her finest hour. When . . . — — Map (db m25853) HM
Historic black neighborhood. Settled in 1871 when Charles Clark, a freedman, bought two acres of land on present Tenth Street. This formed the nucleus of the community that Clark, according to tradition, wanted to start for his people.
For years . . . — — Map (db m25800) HM
Constructed during the period 1912-1914. This building was the seventh United States post office location in Austin, Texas. The supervising architect for the Neoclassical Revival style structure was James Knox Taylor of the U.S. Treasury Department. . . . — — Map (db m26000) HM
This tower and two others supported a cable conveyor that brought clay from pits south of the Colorado River to a brick making facility nearby. A. J. Zilker installed the system in 1902. In 1912, the Butler Brick Company leased his plant, operating . . . — — Map (db m61094) HM
Georgia native Lewis Washington came to Texas about 1835 and joined the revolutionary forces at San Antonio. A member of Col. Fannin’s staff, he served with the Georgia battalion at Refugio and Goliad. He was appointed to an office in Sam Houston’s . . . — — Map (db m26725) HM
The Confederate men's home began in 1884 as a project of the John B. Hood Camp of United Confederate Veterans and was intended as a residence for disabled and indigent Confederate veterans. Potential residents were required to prove that they had . . . — — Map (db m79396) HM
When Texas seceded, Feb. 1, 1861, the 8th Legislature was in Austin in a called session, adjourned Feb. 9.
On March 18, the 8th came back for a second called session; the 9th and 10th Legislatures in turn were harassed with problems of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m26644) HM
In his original 1839 plan for the capital city, Edwin Waller, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and Austin’s first Mayor, designed Congress Avenue as Austin’s most prominent street. Known for many years as “The Avenue”, the . . . — — Map (db m101557) HM
1939 - 2014 Covert Park
of the Covert family gift of
to the people of Travis County, in memory of
Frank M. Covert, Sr.
History of Covert Park at Mount Bonnell
1939 . . . — — Map (db m100754) HM
Daniel H. Caswell came to Austin from Nashville, Tennessee, about 1895. He purchased a cotton oil manufacturing company, bought and sold cotton, and in 1899 built a cotton gin. When completed for his family in 1900, this house was located in the far . . . — — Map (db m25796) HM
Participated in the disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801. Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881.
Eliza Hancock Shipman
Wife of Daniel . . . — — Map (db m25666) HM
George W. Davis (ca. 1809-1884), his wife Emiline P. Moore Davis (1810-1872) and family arrived in Texas in 1835. George served in Captain Mosely Baker’s company at the Battle of San Jacinto while Emiline spent six weeks with the children on the . . . — — Map (db m26778) HM
Real estate developers Mary and Nannie Dawson built this house about 1900 as part of the South Heights expansion of Austin. The sisters were pioneer teachers in free public school system.
Mary (Molly) was principal of Fulmore School, but she left . . . — — Map (db m29539) HM
Among the Swedish immigrants who settled in Decker in the 1880s were many seeking freedom from the Swedish State Church. The immigrants held meetings in homes and schoolhouses, and organized the Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church. Joseph Ek . . . — — Map (db m25714) HM
First settlers in this area on Decker Creek were Swedish immigrants, who attended church in Austin from 1867 to 1870s.
Beginning in 1871, the Rev. C.C. Charnquist of Austin preached in homes. With advent of more settlers, a church was erected and . . . — — Map (db m25665) HM
Swedish immigrant Charles Johnson built a large home for his family on 39 acres of land in this vicinity in the 1850s. In 1902 two of his children, Mary and Henry, opened Deep Eddy Resort. The Johnsons named the park for a deep hole in the limestone . . . — — Map (db m25826) HM
Following the U.S. entry into World War II, the Army Air Corps established a base here in the Del Valle community on land once a part of the Santiago del Valle Mexican land grant. The City of Austin purchased 3,000 acres to lease to the federal . . . — — Map (db m25631) HM
This structure originated as a one-story limestone dwelling. Built between 1869 and 1871 by Charles Denny. Mrs N.L. Holliday, a widow with six children, purchased the house in 1898 and added the second floor in 1906. The residence was later occupied . . . — — Map (db m25669) HM
The State of Texas instituted a public school system for African-American students during Reconstruction. This segregation of students was further established through the 1896 United States Supreme Court decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, which . . . — — Map (db m42891) HM
Arrival on Sept. 21, 1874, of two brothers of Holy Cross
James Doyle (1795?-1866). A native of Ireland, came to Texas in 1835. He was a stonemason, and in 1853 had charge of part of the work on the . . . — — Map (db m25852) HM
A volunteer at Anahuac, 1832. Member of the Consultation, 1835. Commander of the schooner “Flash”, 1836. Most Worshipful Grand Master Grand (Masonic) Lodge of Texas, 1848-49. Born in Virginia, September 30, 1801. Died in Grimes County, . . . — — Map (db m44241) HM
Born in New York, January 8, 1801. Died in Bastrop County, Texas, October 31, 1853. Doctor-lawyer, soldier, legislator.
Delegate to the Second Convention of Texas, 1833 * Physician in the Army of Texas, . . . — — Map (db m25888) HM
Built 1885-86 by Col. Jesse L. Driskill (1824-1890), cattle king who moved to Austin in 1869. Brick dressed with limestone. Had three grand entrances – one the largest arched doorway in Texas. “Ladies’ Entrance” was on northeast, . . . — — Map (db m25634) HM
The Rev. C. Ward organized this church in the home of Mrs. Elisa Hawkins in 1875 as the Third Baptist congregation in Austin. A small frame structure at Catalpa and Curve Streets was the place of worship for ten years. A brick sanctuary in Gothic . . . — — Map (db m42890) HM
Noted economist and University of Texas professor Edmund T. Miller (1878-1952) and his wife, Emily (1884-1979), an artist and member of the pioneer Maverick family of San Antonio, acquired this property in 1922. The design for their Mediterranean . . . — — Map (db m26150) HM
World-renowned sculptor; lived 35 years in Texas, where she executed works of many noted citizens.
Born in Muenster, Westphalia, Germany, Elisabet grew up beautiful, talented, and self-willed. At 19 she began to study at the Academy of Arts, . . . — — Map (db m99581) HM
Elvira T. Manor Davis (1841-1918) was reared in east Travis County near present-day Manor, Texas. Named for her father, she married Blackstone H. Davis whose family owned quarry, supplied stone for the 1853 Texas Capitol. Elvira widowed and the . . . — — Map (db m25687) HM
After attorney Robert G. West (1860-1904) died, his widow Emma Grant West (1865-1952) had this structure built to provide rental income for support of their four children. Erected by contractors Fischer & Lambie in 1905, the brick edifice had one . . . — — Map (db m26766) HM
One of earliest one-room rural schoolhouses in Travis County, this cabin was built on property of Richard McKenzie in 1866. It was known as Esperanza School and served children from neighboring farms in the period before public education. In 1893 . . . — — Map (db m79395) HM
The community of Dessau was founded in 1854 by German immigrants, including the Wieland, Nauert, Nehring, Grosskopf, Krueger, Goerlitz, and Hennig families. The pioneers worshiped in private homes until this sanctuary was built about 1876. Labor and . . . — — Map (db m25872) HM
Ironsmith Fortunat Weigl (1884-1973) migrated to Austin in 1913 from Germany with his wife Anna and sons F. Lee and Herbert. Work was scarce until 1917, when Weigl was commissioned by the noted local woodcarver Peter Mansbendel, who supplied a forge . . . — — Map (db m26728) HM
The University of Texas held its first classes in the temporary capitol at this site on Sept. 15, 1883. Fifty-two of the 218 original students were registered in the law department. They were taught by former Governor of Texas Oran M. Roberts . . . — — Map (db m25647) HM
The oldest black Baptist church in the city, the fellowship grew from the slave membership of the First Baptist Church of Austin. In 1854 the committee on religious conditions of the colored population recommended to the churches of the Austin . . . — — Map (db m42887) HM
In 1853, missionary Rev. E.B. Crisman formally organized the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Austin. Members met in a frame building at 7th and Lavaca streets until 1892, when they replaced it with a stone structure. In 1906, a dispute over a . . . — — Map (db m25879) HM
In 1840, shortly after Austin was incorporated, the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), a Methodist circuit rider from the Mississippi Conference, led 14 members in forming this fellowship. They worshiped at temporary sites, including the Capitol building . . . — — Map (db m25883) HM
Prussian native Joseph Fischer (1826-1889) constructed this home for his family in 1882 with the help of his son Francis. Skilled stonemasons, Joseph and Francis Fischer developed one of Austin’s leading masonry contracting businesses and worked in . . . — — Map (db m25706) HM
Two area pioneers were Josiah Fisk, who arrived in 1846, and Edward Zimmerman, who came in 1854; both brought their families to the farming lands outside Austin. Zimmerman became the first Postmaster in 1873, when more than 150 people lived in . . . — — Map (db m25884) HM
During the Civil War, Fort Magruder was built near here west of Congress Avenue. Named for Gen. John Bankhead Magruder, commander of Texas Confederate forces, it was one of three forts planned to protect Austin from a possible Union attack from the . . . — — Map (db m69091) HM
This site, originally purchased by Anson Jones who later became the last President of the Republic of Texas, was sold by Jones on September 15, 1840, to Alphonse de Saligny, Charge D'Affaires of his majesty, Louis Philippe, the King of the French, . . . — — Map (db m92546) HM
Erected in the year 1841 by Conte Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, Charge D’Affaires for King Louis Philippe of France, to the Texas Republic. He lived here 1841-1842.
House constructed of Bastrop pine, in Louisiana Bayou style.
Furnishings include . . . — — Map (db m25673) HM
Born in Kentucky 1803. Came to Texas in 1840 from Mississippi. Associate Justice, Supreme Court, 1840. Secretary of State, 1841. Attorney General, 1841-42. Charge d'affairs of the Republic of Texas to England, France and Spain 1844-45. Died in . . . — — Map (db m25693) HM
Commanded Co. D., First Regiment of Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. A member of 1st and 3rd Congresses of the Republic and later a Brigadier General of Militia. Born in Virginia Sept. 20, 1802. Died in Houston, Texas Nov. 4, 1848. His wife Eliza . . . — — Map (db m25765) HM
Former Confederate Army Captain and leading Austin merchant George W. Sampson (1825-88) married Mary Goodwin Hall (b. 1845), niece of Gov. Edmund J. Davis. Their wedding in 1872 was the first held in the Governor’s Mansion. In 1875 the Sampsons . . . — — Map (db m26497) HM
In Feb. 1926 the Austin Public Library opened in a room over a downtown store. Within months, the books were moved to this structure, built at Guadalupe and Ninth St., across from Wooldridge Park. In 1933, with completion of a permanent library . . . — — Map (db m25793) HM
Merchant Philip Henry Gerhard (1850-1906) and wife Lena had this house built by contractor Herman S. Love in 1887. It was said to be first 2-story brick veneer home in Austin; it was enlarged in 1891. The Gerhards’ daughter Clara and her husband, . . . — — Map (db m25889) HM
German Free School Education was a primary concern for the new German immigrants who arrived in Texas in the 1840s and 1850s. Although Texas did not have a system of free public education at that time, it did offer subsidies for students attending . . . — — Map (db m25890) HM
The first Lutheran church in Travis County. Organized Dec. 12, 1868, by Swedish pioneers under leadership of Swante Palm.
Site of first church building was 11 blocks SW; this structure was erected in 1883. It contains stone hauled in wheelbarrows . . . — — Map (db m25891) HM
This residence was constructed in 1905 for William L. Gilfillan (d.1932), one of the founders and directors of the Austin National Bank. Designed by the prominent Austin architect Charles H. Page, Jr., the two-story brick home reflects a mixture of . . . — — Map (db m25893) HM
Dedicated to the Gold Star Mothers of Texas. Their sons and daughters gave their lives while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. On June 4, 1928 out of tragedy we were formed, out of love we continue. — — Map (db m108580) WM
Goodall Harrison Wooten (1869-1942) was born in Paris, Texas, the son of Confederate veteran Dr. Thomas Dudley Wooten and his wife, Henrietta Goodall Wooten. Goodall Harrison Wooten attended the University of Texas, where he earned Bachelor’s and . . . — — Map (db m25707) HM
Probably constructed in the early 1890s, this commercial building is noted for its decorative brickwork and iron railing. Built for grocer Joseph Goodman, the main floor served as his store until 1924. The upper floor was used from 1892 until about . . . — — Map (db m25700) HM
Nicknamed “Colossal Jack” because of his imposing stature and his oratorical skill, A.J. Hamilton was born in Alabama. He migrated to Texas about 1846. A lawyer, he served as acting Attorney General of Texas in 1850. His residence once . . . — — Map (db m25965) HM
Born in Florida, E.J. Davis became a lawyer and judge after moving to Texas. During the Civil War (1861-65), he commanded a regiment of Texas Unionists and rose to the rank of Brigadier General.
During the Reconstruction era, Davis led the . . . — — Map (db m25824) HM
In 1835 E.M. Pease migrated to Texas from his native Connecticut. He joined the Texian forces at the Battle of Gonzales, Oct. 2, 1835, which initiated the Texas War for Independence. In the early days of the Republic, he worked as a government clerk . . . — — Map (db m26210) HM
James Ferguson, son of a Methodist preacher, and Miriam Wallace, daughter of a wealthy farmer, were Bell County natives. They married in 1899 and later settled with their two daughters in Temple. James, running as “Farmer Jim”, won the . . . — — Map (db m25874) HM
This Victorian home, located on the 1835 Isaac Decker Grant, was built in 1894-95 by Dr. E. W. Herndon and sold in 1912 to Judge W. W. Burnett. It became the residence in 1916 of lawyer Henry Faulk (1867-1939), his wife Martha (Miner) (1878-1957), . . . — — Map (db m25702) HM
First known use of barbed wire in Texas (1857), by John Grinninger, immigrant from Europe, worker in an early Austin iron foundry. Grinninger, who lived on Waller Creek (NE of here) grew fruit, vegetables and flowers. To protect garden, he ran . . . — — Map (db m25896) HM
Built about 1863 at 807 east 11th Street; homestead of Henry Green Madison (1843-1912), policeman and farmer, his wife Louise, and their eight children. In 1886, Madison built a frame house enclosing the cabin, which remained hidden until a razing . . . — — Map (db m25672) HM
Henry (1853-1924) and Bertha (1857-1900) Ziller, both members of families who came to the Austin area from Germany, married in 1876 and purchased this property in 1881. Records indicate that a residence, built about 1877, already existed on the . . . — — Map (db m26774) HM
Henry Smith (1788-1851) immersed himself in public affairs soon after arriving in Texas in 1827. Initially a local political leader in what is now Brazoria County, he was appointed in 1835 as a delegate to the San Felipe Consultation, which met to . . . — — Map (db m26540) HM
Built in 1899-1900 by local contractor John Allen Greathouse for the William H. Herblin family. This house was located in the neighborhood known as “Quality Hill”, construction costs totaled $2,500. The William B. Shoe family purchased . . . — — Map (db m25709) HM
The community of Clarksville is an early freedman's community that was established after the Civil War. Freed slave Charles Clark founded the community in 1871 as a place where former slaves could reunite with their family members, direct their own . . . — — Map (db m101175) HM
German native Henry Hirshfeld (1834-1911) migrated to the United States at the age of fifteen. After working with his two uncles in Mobile, Alabama, he moved to Georgetown (28 mi. N), where he enlisted in the Confederate Army.
Following his . . . — — Map (db m25969) HM
Henry Hirshfeld (1834-1911), a native of Germany, was a prominent Austin merchant and a leader in the city’s Jewish community. In 1873 he and his wife Jennie (Melasky) built a one-story limestone cottage on the lot west of this site. Because of . . . — — Map (db m25971) HM
A rare and important example of the Craftsman Aesthetic designed by prominent Austin architect Charles H. Page Sr., this house was built in 1909 for Austin businessman Milton Hodnette. Horizontal emphasis, broad overhanging eaves, a generous porch, . . . — — Map (db m25972) HM
Built in 1887, apparently as a hotel, for Tom Smith. Contractor was Austin Mayor Joseph Nalle. The “Hotel Provident” operated under various names until the 1920s. In conjunction with the hotel, the lower floor housed numerous businesses, . . . — — Map (db m25979) HM
In 1854 Wiley Hudson (b.1825) and his family settled on the bend of Colorado River that was named for him. The 1860 census showed four families living in this vicinity, including Wiley Hudson with his wife Catherine and eight children, as well as a . . . — — Map (db m97906) HM
Built in 1886, this house was originally located on 7th Street in the Robertson Hill area of East Austin. It was constructed for Hugh B. Hancock, a successful black businessman of the city. In 1904 it was sold to German native Charles Frederick . . . — — Map (db m25966) HM
Advertised in 1892 as “The most fashionable part of the wealthiest and most aristocratic ward in the city”, Hyde Park was Austin’s first planned suburb. Encompassing an area bordered by the present streets of Guadalupe, 38th, Duval, and . . . — — Map (db m25991) HM
Born in New Hampshire, Ira H. Evans grew up in Vermont. During the Civil War he served in the Union Army, attaining the rank of Major. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor and in 1865 was a member of the Honor Guard for the funeral of . . . — — Map (db m43652) HM
Built in 1925, this house was occupied by eminent Texas author, educator, and folklorist J. Frank Dobie (1888-1964) and his wife Bertha from 1926 until their deaths. Dobie, who taught a popular course at the University of Texas on the life and . . . — — Map (db m25851) HM
Norwegian immigrant John L. Buaas moved to Austin in 1839 and in 1872 was appointed city alderman by Reconstruction Governor E.J. Davis. In 1875 he built a mercantile store here. The two-story Italianate commercial structure was designed with two . . . — — Map (db m25781) HM
In the mid-1860s, shortly after the Civil War, Jacob Peter “Jake” Schneider (1852-1925) began working in William Brueggerhoff’s general mercantile store, and part-time as a legislative page in the Capitol. About 1870, he and his mother, . . . — — Map (db m26498) HM
Jacob Fontaine was born in Arkansas and came to Austin about 1850 as a slave of Episcopal minister Edward Fontaine. In 1864 Jacob began preaching separate services for fellow slaves attending the First Baptist Church, then founded the First Baptist . . . — — Map (db m80454) HM
This Victorian cottage was built in 1875 for architect Jacob Larmour (1822-1901), who came to Austin with his family in 1871. He played a major role in the design of many of the city’s commercial and residential buildings and was appointed state . . . — — Map (db m26035) HM
After purchasing this land in 1859, German-born Jacob Leser (1827-1901) erected a log cabin and a frame structure to house his soap and candle factory. Before 1864, when he married Henrietta Schroeder (1841-89), Leser added this stone wing to the . . . — — Map (db m26040) HM
Participated in the Capture
of San Antonio, 1835
A member of
Capt. Moseley Baker's company
at San Jacinto
Born in Kentucky
on July 4, 1800
Died in Lavaca County, Texas
February 6, 1869 — — Map (db m44789) HM
A member of Capt. Wm. W. Hill’s Company at San Jacinto. Born in Kentucky March 5, 1805. Died in Lee County, Texas August 15, 1848. Here also sleeps Amanda Wilkinson, wife of James G. Wilkinson. — — Map (db m25738) HM
Civil rights leader James Leonard Farmer, Jr., son of Pearl (Houston) and Dr. James L. Farmer, Sr., lived here as a child from 1925-30. James, Sr. taught at Samuel Huston College (now Huston-Tillotson University). In 1942, James, Jr. founded the . . . — — Map (db m42985) HM
One of the most prominent leaders of the Texas woman suffrage movement of the early 20th century, Jane Y. McCallum lived in this house with her husband, Arthur N., and five children. As a member of the Texas Joint Legislative Council (nicknamed . . . — — Map (db m26142) HM
A professional surveyor before and after coming to Texas in 1845 from his native Germany, J.J. Groos helped open New Braunfels area to settlement. He served 1849-65 as a Comal County official, and was in Confederate militia during Civil War . . . — — Map (db m25897) HM
Came to Texas from Tennessee. Prominent orator, jurist and prosecutor. Delegate Texas Secession Convention 1861. Joined Confederate Army as Captain Company "B" Terry’s Texas Rangers. After Terry was killed Wharton elected Colonel and led this famous . . . — — Map (db m82353) HM
A member of Captain W. J. F. Heard's Company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Born in New York City, October 3, 1808, died April 1, 1892. His wife Anna (Scott) Lewis Born in Albany, N. Y. 1812 died May 24, 1896. — — Map (db m25690) HM
Served in the Army of Texas, 1836, the Army of the United States in the Mexican War, 1846, the Confederate Army, 1861-1865. Born in Kentucky June 25, 1818. Died in Ellis County, Texas August 3, 1884.
His wife Rebecca Ann (Barker) Singleton. Born . . . — — Map (db m26536) HM
To John Williams and Howell Gaggett. Killed by Indians in May, 1836 while detailed from Captain John J. Tumlinson’s company of Rangers to help protect the families of the Hornsby’s settlement on returning from the “Run Away Scrape”. . . . — — Map (db m100619) HM
Prominent Austin contractor George Fiegel completed this house in 1903 for Joseph Anthony (1867-1947) and Mary (Robinson)(d. 1934) Martin. A noted wild game conservationist, Joe Martin primarily is associated in Austin business history with the . . . — — Map (db m26126) HM
Born in Maine 1804. Died in Austin, Texas July 11, 1846. One of the founders of “The Telegraph and Texas Register” at San Felipe de Austin, October 10, 1835. A soldier at San Jacinto. First Chief Justice of Bexar County, 1836. Member of . . . — — Map (db m25767) HM
To Josephus Hornsby Mar. 15, 1822 Oct. 21, 1862. Son of Reuben Hornsby; settled here, 1832, Bastrop ranger, 1837. In Flores Fight, 1839 Battle of Plum Creek, 1840 Brushy Fight, 1840, Vasquez and Woll Campaigns, 1842; led fight against Indians from . . . — — Map (db m82359) HM
Marking the spot where
Josiah Pugh Wilbarger
of Austin's Colony was stabbed
and scalped by the Indians in 1832
while locating lands for the Colonies.
Born in Bourbon Co. Ky. Sept. 10, 1801
Died in Bastrop Co. Tex. April 11, 1845 . . . — — Map (db m79131) HM
Born in Bosque County of a noted pioneer family. A legislator (1909-13); first Assistant Attorney General (1913-18); Attorney General (1918-21). As Chief Justice (1921-40) Texas Supreme Court, recorded longest service in court’s first century. . . . — — Map (db m25822) HM
In October 1901, William M. Tears opened the Tears Funeral Home at 614 E. 6th Street to provide mortuary services for African Americans in Austin and the surrounding area. Upon his death in 1923, his son William M. Tears, Jr. became manager of the . . . — — Map (db m26008) HM
In 1916, the heirs of Gov. Elisha Pease established the Enfield Realty and Home Building Company and began dividing the Pease estate into what would become Austin’s Enfield neighborhood. Six years later, Belmont “Belle” Graham, a cousin . . . — — Map (db m25627) HM
Built in 1896 at a cost of $4,200, this home was purchased the same year by sportswoman Loula Dale Kopperl (1861-1919). She and her husband Morris lived here prior to their divorce in 1912, and she continued to occupy the home until her death. The . . . — — Map (db m26009) HM
This Mediterranean style villa was built in 1916 for Henry H. and Clara Driscoll Sevier. Named Laguna Gloria for a nearby lagoon off the Colorado River, the stuccoed home features a decorative window that resembles the rose window at San Jose . . . — — Map (db m99511) HM
Built 1875-1876 by A.J. Jernigan, Travis County Treasurer, 1873-1888 and 1894-1896; of handmade, sun dried brick in transitional style between Greek Revival and Victorian period, 1880's-1890's.
Name - meaning “the windows” - is for . . . — — Map (db m25691) HM
Josephine (1873-1947) and Lilia (1869-1947) Casis were reared in Jamaica, where their European parents educated them in the classics, languages, and music, before they moved to Texas in 1890. Josephine earned a teaching degree and taught at Austin’s . . . — — Map (db m25795) HM
George Washington Littlefield (1842-1920) came to Texas from Mississippi in 1850. After serving in Terry’s Texas Rangers in the Civil War, he made his fortune ranching and driving cattle. He moved to Austin in 1883 and, in 1890, established the . . . — — Map (db m26041) HM
George W. Littlefield (1842-1920) came to Texas with his family in 1850. He served in the Civil War with Terry’s Texas Rangers, attaining the rank of Major. Following the war he became a cattleman and acquired ranches in New Mexico and the Texas . . . — — Map (db m26042) HM
When M.M. Long and his family moved here from Bastrop in the 1860s, the first floor of this structure served as the livery stable for Long’s Austin to Burnet and Lampasas stage line. On the second floor Long ran an opera house which was used for . . . — — Map (db m26044) HM
Famed defender of the frontier. Instilled ideals of excellence into Texas Rangers.
Born in South Carolina. Came to Republic of Texas 1839. Educated at Old Baylor and Rutersville, where students had to defend school from Indian attacks.
In . . . — — Map (db m26002) HM
Mississippi native William M. “Buck” Walton attended the University of Virginia and studied law in Carrollton, Mississippi. In 1853 he moved to Austin, where his first law partner was A.J. Hamilton, later Governor of Texas. In 1862 he . . . — — Map (db m25718) HM
Central Texas native Malcolm Reed followed his father into business and ultimately became a leading cotton exporter. He wed Margaret “Maggie” Badger of Marble Falls in 1898, and in 1908, they moved to Austin. In 1929, they moved into . . . — — Map (db m101450) HM
Born in Virginia, June 4, 1778. Died in Jasper County, March 2, 1850. A delegate to the Constitutional Convention of Missouri, 1821. Senator in Legislature of Missouri. Second in command in the Fredonian War in Texas, 1826. Member of the . . . — — Map (db m26205) HM
This residence is one of several erected in south Austin during the 1890s by Developer Nichols Dawson (1864-1939). Constructed of stone quarried in the vicinity, the small houses were similar in design, with hexagonal front bays. Dawson's partner in . . . — — Map (db m26127) HM
In 1916, the Austin School District built three elementary schools, including two identical ones: Metz on the east side of town and Mathews on the west. Architect Dennis R. Walsh designed both schools, but only Mathews remains in use. Named for Dr. . . . — — Map (db m26138) HM
One of Austin's most revered African American civic and religious leaders, Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller is best remembered for her generosity, inspirational speeches, Baptist missionary activity, teaching abilities, and compassion for those less . . . — — Map (db m42888) HM
Rafael Mauthe (1820-79), a German stonemason, built this house in 1877 on land purchased from the noted architect Abner Cook in 1856. Mauthe’s wife Mary (d. 1898) lived here after his death and managed the nearby family rental property. In 1898 the . . . — — Map (db m26139) HM
This burial ground has served the surrounding area since the early 1850s. Most of those interred here lived in the Merrilltown community, which Captain Nelson Merrell (d. 1879) established when he settled here in 1837. He operated the post office . . . — — Map (db m81116) HM
This congregation began meeting for informal worship services during the early 1870s at the home of Tempie Washington. By 1873, the thirteen original members were meeting in their own sanctuary on San Antonio street. The Rev. Frank Green served as . . . — — Map (db m26148) HM
Built here prior to the Civil War on land owned by Col. S.W. Goodrich (d. 1868), this house was located near a low-water crossing of the Colorado River. A planter, Goodrich owned a sawmill, grist mill, and cotton gin. Michael Paggi (d. 1911), a . . . — — Map (db m29538) HM
Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars. Combat Veterans Wounded-1782 Military Order of the Purple Heart 1932. My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all . . . — — Map (db m108579) WM
William Carroll "Cal" Roy (1851-1916) and Annie (Stanley) Roy (1851-1925) bought this Bouldin mill site in 1894 from Powhatan Bouldin, heir of James E. Bouldin (1796-1876), the original owner. It was converted into a home, and here the Roy’s reared . . . — — Map (db m26149) HM
This structure was originally part of a six-span bridge across the Colorado River at Congress Avenue in Austin. Constructed there in 1884, it was designed by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1910 it was dismantled . . . — — Map (db m26159) HM
Local contractor Charles Funk built this house for John M. and Estelle Moore in 1887 at a cost of $2,000. At that time John M. Moore (1853-1902), a former Texas legislator and District Attorney, was Secretary of State for Governor Lawrence Sullivan . . . — — Map (db m26158) HM
Irish native Martin Moore and his wife, Elizabeth Ann (White), left their Austin residences and prosperous Pecan (6th) Street mercantile business and moved to a farm north of town about 1850. Their 521-acre farm, which included this property, was . . . — — Map (db m100082) HM
The initiator of Anglo-American settlement in Texas. Moses Austin was a native of Durham, Connecticut. After his marriage to Mary Brown in 1785, Austin became a leading figure in the development of the American lead industry. His business took him . . . — — Map (db m26784) HM
Rising 775 feet above sea level, this limestone height was named for George W. Bonnell, who came to Texas with others to fight for Texas independence, 1836. Was commissioner of Indian Affairs in Republic of Texas under president Sam Houston. Moved . . . — — Map (db m20136) HM
The Mount Olive Baptist Church congregation was organized March 3, 1889, in the vicinity of Masontown, one of Austin's earliest African settlements. The early years of the congregation coincided with a period of intense optimism and community . . . — — Map (db m25685) HM
Archeological investigations of the Bull Creek area show utilization by humans stretching back at least 9,000 years. The canyons of Bull Creek offered the criteria of favored campsites on the Edwards Plateau: shelter in or near pecan groves (pecan . . . — — Map (db m108842) HM
This building was once the tallest structure in Austin’s downtown area other than the State Capitol. Dwarfed by other structures by the late 20th century, the Norwood Tower remains unique in its design and elaborate detailing.
In 1925, Ollie O. . . . — — Map (db m25630) HM
Born in Greensboro, N.C., moved to Texas in 1882, and lived on a ranch near Cotulla. Came to Austin in 1884, and in addition to writing, worked as a pharmacist, musician, draftsman, and bank teller. His first nationally published short story . . . — — Map (db m88129) HM
Built during the period 1877-1881 as a federal courthouse and post office, this was the sixth United States Post Office location in Austin, dating from the establishment of the first post office in Austin in 1840. The building was constructed by . . . — — Map (db m25587) HM
First settlers arrived in area in 1840s. The community founded here in 1856 was called Live Oak Springs; in 1865 it was renamed Shiloh. Later schools known as Live Oak and Oatmanville gave names temporarily to the settlement. It has been known as . . . — — Map (db m26185) HM
In 1839, when Austin was being opened as a site favored for the Capital of the Republic of Texas, a regular burial place was established in what is now the southwest part of Oakwood Cemetery. A decedent was buried on this hill at a spot to the right . . . — — Map (db m25661) HM
Three double log houses built on this site in 1839 shortly after Austin was selected as the site for the capital of the Republic of Texas served as the offices for the War Department and the Adjutant General. Here Albert Sidney Johnston and Branch . . . — — Map (db m100730) HM
This house was built in 1925 for Judge Robert Lynn Batts (1854-1935). A distinguished jurist, Batts served as Assistant Attorney General of Texas and the United States, Judge of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and Chairman of the University of . . . — — Map (db m26187) HM
Built 1876 by Chas. Lundberg. Bread then was not sliced or wrapped; children and maids waited with baskets to take home loaves hot from the oven. House specialties were sponge cake ladyfingers, glazed kisses, almond-meal macaroons.
A front . . . — — Map (db m26046) HM
On land granted by Mexico in 1835, just before Texas Revolution, this house was built in 1875. Owner Isaac Van Zandt Davis (1843-1897) worked in the General Land Office. Greek revival style home has 22” thick walls of stone quarried at Oak . . . — — Map (db m25825) HM
Limestone quarried at this site was hauled to Congress Avenue by oxen and used in constructing the 1853 Texas Capitol Building. The structure burned in 1881, but stone from the Capitol ruins was later used in several Austin building projects. The . . . — — Map (db m95577) HM
Influenced by the style of early German rock buildings in central Texas, James Andrew Patton (1853-1944) supervised the construction of this building in 1898. A German mason laid the stone.
Patton fought Comanches as a Texas Ranger and was a civic . . . — — Map (db m26492) HM
Onion Creek Lodge 220, A.F. & A.M. chartered, 1858. Met on this site in cabin later destroyed by Indians. This building completed, 1860.
First floor used by the Pleasant Hill school (oldest in continuous use in state) until 1935. Also used by the . . . — — Map (db m26188) HM
This structure was built in 1894 for Texas military, business, and civic leader Louis Openheimer (1858-1906). Designed and constructed by John McDonald, a prominent citizen who served as Austin’s Mayor from 1889 to 1895, the building was sold in . . . — — Map (db m26189) HM
The Rev. R.H. Taliaferro of Kentucky organized the First Baptist Church in July 1847. Worship services were first held in the Capitol and later moved to a frame building at 12th and Lavaca. The congregation met in the 700 block of Congress Avenue . . . — — Map (db m25648) HM
Established in 1840 by the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), the First Methodist Church was Austin’s second Protestant congregation. Services were held in temporary quarters until members erected their first meeting house in 1847 at this site, then the . . . — — Map (db m25881) HM
The Rev. William M. Baker and five charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Austin on May 26, 1850. Abner H. Cook, future designer of the Governor's Mansion, was among the charter members and was elected a ruling elder. In 1851, . . . — — Map (db m25720) HM
Originally called the “Majestic”, this theatre was erected in 1915 by businessman Ernest Nalle (1876-1950). Designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Eberson, Fugard, and Knapp, it was constructed under the direction of local . . . — — Map (db m26203) HM
Named for family of 1853-57 Texas Governor, Elisha Marshall Pease (1812-83), within whose early-day plantation this area was situated. Gov. and Mrs. Pease on May 20, 1875, gave 23-acre site here on Shoal Creek to City of Austin for use as a public . . . — — Map (db m26207) HM
This is one of the oldest school buildings in Texas erected from public funds; on university block set aside for school purposes by Republic of Texas in 1839. This school was opened in 1876; it was named for Gov. Elisha M. Pease (1812-1883), a . . . — — Map (db m26209) HM
In 1913, Nellie Wylie Holden (1863-1944) built a home here. Tradition holds that her children helped noted architect Hugo F. Kuehne design the Georgian Revival house. Holden, an Austin philanthropist, worked in many civic and charitable . . . — — Map (db m101377) HM
A native of Germany, Peter Henry Oberwetter migrated to Texas about 1849 and settled first in New Braunfels, then Comfort. He later moved to Austin, where he gained distinction as a botanist. He pioneered in crossbreeding the Amaryllis, imported . . . — — Map (db m26186) HM
In the 1930’s, J.S. and Alta Woodard built one of Austin’s first tourist courts on the northern portion of this site. It was designed by local architect, Hugo Kuehne. Encased in petrified wood from Glen Rose, Texas, the 10 unit lodge appeared as an . . . — — Map (db m72225) HM
A soldier in the Army of Texas. Arrived at San Jacinto April 22, 1836. Born in South Carolina March 11, 1815. Died in Johnson County, Texas July 11, 1897.
His wife Elizabeth (Cooper) Walker. Born in Tennessee October 21, 1827. Died in Johnson . . . — — Map (db m25677) HM
Sweden native Sven Axel Philquist, local district clerk and later clerk of the Texas Supreme Court, hired Swedish builder F. Oscar Blomquist to build this family home in 1912. Following several subsequent owners, grocer Sam Wood purchased the house . . . — — Map (db m25695) HM
Pilot Knob, the only example of an exposed submarine volcano in Texas, appears today as a prominent hill one mile northwest. It was formed some 80 million years ago on the bottom of a warm shallow sea which covered much of the continent during the . . . — — Map (db m69231) HM
Radcliff Platt constructed the original portion of this building about 1871. He operated a livery stable here until 1890 and lived in one side of the structure for a number of years. In 1901 J.S. Simpson (1854-1934) purchased and enlarged the . . . — — Map (db m26337) HM
Texas statesman Price Daniel (1910-1988) was born in Dayton, Texas, the son of M.P. and Nannie Partlow Daniel. His career in state and national politics spanned six decades and included service in all three branches of state government.
After . . . — — Map (db m25823) HM
Cornelius Randerson erected a one-story structure here in 1896 to house a grocery, feed, and wagon yard. John and Claus Lundell purchased the building in 1898 and in 1910 a second floor was added to board customers overnight. It remained in the . . . — — Map (db m25632) HM
Rebecca Jane Kilgore Stuart became principal of Live Oak Female Seminary in Washington County, Texas, in 1853. In 1854 she married Dr. George Clark Red and continued teaching. The Reds moved to Austin in 1876, and opened Stuart Female Seminary at . . . — — Map (db m26346) HM
This sculpture, weighing 18 tons, is an exact copy of the colossal head that was discovered at the Olmec site of San Lorenzo, Veracruz, Mexico. The original is a landmark work of art of the Olmec culture that flourished in southern Mexico 1500-400 . . . — — Map (db m71676) HM
Built in 1934 for Louis Reuter (1886-1945) and his wife, this house offered a spectacular view of the city. Reuter worked as a grocer in his native San Antonio until 1918, when he came to Austin to open a self-service grocery store, an innovation . . . — — Map (db m29533) HM
Born in Virginia February 14, 1781. Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia, 1820. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and President of the Constitutional Convention, 1836. Senator in the Congress of the Republic of Texas, . . . — — Map (db m25858) HM
341 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 141