Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Trumbull County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Bristol Public Library Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, August 10, 2018
Bristol Public Library Marker
Ohio (Trumbull County), Bristolville — 31-78 — Bristol Public Library1912
Side A In 1912, an endowment of $6,000 from Andrew Carnegie made it possible for the Bristol Public Library to become a reality. Four years earlier, the newly organized Bristol Library Association, headed and promoted by retired Judge . . . — Map (db m121485) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Bristolville — Honor Roll
Erected to those buried in Bristol Township whose service assured our nation's independence 1775-1783 Gasper Cline Elias Daily Jacob Hamman John Morley Joseph Talcott William Wilson — Map (db m121486) WM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Bristolville — 21-78 — Ohio's First Civil War MonumentDedicated October 15, 1863
Side A With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, many young men of Bristol Township enlisted in the army when President Abraham Lincoln issued his call to defend the Union cause. The death toll of some of these men at the Battle of Shiloh . . . — Map (db m121482) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Brookfield — 20-78 — Brookfield Township
Side A In 1798, Judge Samuel Hinckley of Northampton, Massachusetts, drew the 72nd draft in the land lottery held by the Connecticut Land Company and received 15,305 acres in Township 4, Range 1, for which he paid $12,903.23, less than one . . . — Map (db m121462) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Brookfield — Our Founder Judge Samuel C. Hinckley(1757-1840)
Born in Brookfield, Massachusetts purchased township 4 range 1 from the Connecticut Land Co. on September 14, 1799 and named it Brookfield. He paid $12,903.23 for 15,304 acres. — Map (db m121461) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Brookfield — This Bell
This bell rang for shift changes at Frederick Masury's Masurite Explosive Company (1904-1911) In 1912 it was given to the Elm Street School. When the school closed in 1951, it became the property of the Brookfield Fire Department. The bell was . . . — Map (db m121464) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Cortland — 23-78 — Casterline Cemetery
Side A Originally part of the Casterline farm, this cemetery was once the site of the 1824 Bazetta Presbyterian Church, the first church in Bazetta Township. Ziba Casterline deeded .75 acres for the cemetery to the church in 1829 for five . . . — Map (db m121472) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Fowler — 24-78 — Fowler Township / Fowler Historic District
Side A Fowler Township Originally called Westfield Township, Samuel Fowler purchased this area in 1798 from the Connecticut Land Company for $12,903.23 while living in Westfield, Massachusetts. His brother Abner arrived the following . . . — Map (db m121470) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Girard — 19-78 — The Barnhisel House
Built circa 1840 by Henry Barnhisel Jr. in the Greek Revival architectural style, the Barnhisel home is one of the oldest remaining structures in Girard. Henry and Eve Anna Barnhisel purchased the land where the house stands in 1813 when they . . . — Map (db m121456) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Gustavus — 14-78 — Gustavus Center Historic District
Side A Major buildings dating from 1832 to 1898 surround the village green, the geographic center of Gustavus Township. Built in 1832 on the northwest quadrant, the George Hezlep House features Federal-Greek Revival architecture and has a . . . — Map (db m121480) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Kinsman — 12-78 — Darrow Octagon House / Clarence Darrow (1857-1938)
Side A Darrow Octagon House This eight-sided house reflects a widespread pre-Civil War architectural fad. Promoted by phrenologist Orson S. Fowler in his 1848 book A Home for All as a way to "bring comfortable homes within the reach . . . — Map (db m121479) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Kinsman — 10-78 — Kinsman
Side A The township of Kinsman was purchased by John Kinsman of Lisbon, Connecticut, in 1799 from the Connecticut Land Company. Kinsman has been the home of many notable citizens, some of whom include: Philip P. Bliss (1838-1876) and James . . . — Map (db m121478) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Mineral Ridge — 35-78 — Mineral Ridge Black Band Ore
Side A The discovery in the mid-19th century of iron-rich black band ore in this region helped revitalize Mahoning Valley’s iron industry. The land now called Mineral Ridge was primarily a farming community before the 1850s. In the 1830s, . . . — Map (db m122057) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Mineral Ridge — 34-78 — The Salt Springs
Side A A salt spring, located about a mile west of this site, was the primary attraction for immigrants to the Western Reserve territory in the mid-1700s. Prior to European-American settlement, Indians used the springs, boiling the water to . . . — Map (db m122055) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Newton Falls — 11-78 — Newton Falls Covered Bridge
The Newton Falls covered bridge was built over the east branch of the Mahoning River around 1831. A crosswalk was added in 1921 for children crossing the bridge on their way to the school on Center Street. The Newton Falls bridge is considered . . . — Map (db m73215) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Newton Falls — 13-78 — Settled by Alexander and Sarah Sutherland / Newton Township Duck Creek Settlement
Side A Alexander Sutherland (1767-1845) and his wife Sarah (1768-1836) were the first settlers in Newton Township, Trumbull County, Ohio. Coming from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, the Sutherlands acquired 205 acres of land along Duck . . . — Map (db m121502) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Niles — 6-78 — James Heaton(1770-1856) — Founder of Niles
1806 - Built his log cabin home in Heaton Park, Vienna Avenue. 1806/07 - Constructed a grist mill, dam and mill race along Mosquito Creek. 1809 - Manufactured first bar iron in Ohio. 1812/13 - Constructed "Maria" blast furnace. 1820 - Built his . . . — Map (db m121459) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Niles — William McKinleyHistorical Museum and Memorial Library
National Memorial Free to the People — Map (db m92894) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Niles — 17-78 — William McKinley Birthplace
Side A: One of seven native Ohioans to serve as president of the United States, William McKinley (1843-1901) was born at this site. The original house was moved from this site and ultimately destroyed by fire. The McKinleys lived here until . . . — Map (db m65454) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), North Bloomfield — Bloomfield Township Commons
The Commons, Leased to Bloomfield Township by Eprhaim Brown in 1828 for 1000 years — Map (db m96103) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Southington — 29-78 — Southington Township Centralized School and Monument Park
Side A Southington native Newton Chalker built, furnished, and donated Chalker High School to his community in 1907. Chalker was born in 1842 in Southington Township and lived there until adulthood. He later built a prosperous law and real . . . — Map (db m121487) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Vienna — 8-78 — Mary Ann Campana
Side A Born on April 18, 1913, in Barrea, Province L'Aquila Abruzzi, Italy to Salvatore and Maria (Lombardozzi) Campana, Mary Ann Campana immigrated to the United States with her parents at age eight. Raised in Youngstown and educated in . . . — Map (db m121469) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Vienna — 30-78 — Vienna Township Green and Cemetery / Vienna Township
Vienna Township Green and Cemetery Vienna Township Green and Cemetery were created on June 20, 1810, when Ephraim Root and Uriel Holmes, Jr., deeded to Vienna Presbyterian Church members eight acres of “cleared & improved” land . . . — Map (db m103101) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 25-78 — Camp Hutchins-Warren's Civil War Training Camp / Camp Hutchins and the 6th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry
Side A Camp Hutchins-Warren's Civil War Training Camp After the outbreak of the Civil War in the spring of 1861, the U.S. War Department commissioned Ohio Senator B.F. Wade of Jefferson and local Congressman John Hutchins of Warren to . . . — Map (db m121474) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — Commemorative Ingot
Commemorative ingot poured from the first heat of steel made in Trumbull County by the Basic Oxygen Process. This 16,000 pound ingot contains various steel souvenir items provided by area residents to symbolize the beginning of the second century . . . — Map (db m65441) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 2-78 — First Presbyterian Church
This congregation was founded in Warren November 19, 1803, by the Rev. Joseph Badger, who was serving as a missionary in the Western Reserve for the Connecticut Missionary Society of the Congregational Church. Rev. Badger was assisted at the first . . . — Map (db m65442) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 15-78 — Harriet Taylor Upton
After embracing the cause of women's suffrage, Harriet Taylor Upton (1854-1945) devoted her life to the movement. Born in Ravenna, she moved to Warren as a child and lived in this house beginning in 1873. Upton was treasurer of the National American . . . — Map (db m65443) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 16-78 — Howland Springs
On January 31, 1798, Joseph Howland bought Township 4-Range 3 (Howland Twp.) for $12, 903.23 and an equalizing portion of Township 1-Range 10 (Springfield Twp.) as part of a lottery held to distribute Connecticut's Western Reserve lands. On February . . . — Map (db m121473) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 4-78 — John Stark Edwards House
Built in 1807. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Trumbull County Historical Society Museum — Map (db m65444) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 7-78 — Kinsman House1832 — Greek Revival Style
The Kinsman House once served as classrooms for the Dana School of Music, Hiram College Branch. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m121476) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — Leicester King / The Underground Railroad on the Warren-Ashtabula TurnpikeWarren, Ohio (Trumbull County) — Historic Underground Railroad Site
Leicester King Born in Connecticut in 1789, Judge Leicester King and his wife Julia Ann Huntington King, moved to Warren in 1817 from Westfield, Massachusetts. He was one of the principle promoters of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal, which . . . — Map (db m65445) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 9-78 — Mahoning Lodge #29, IOOF
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), a world-wide fraternal organization, was introduced to the United States from England in 1819 and was established in Ohio in 1830. Mahoning Lodge #29 in Warren, Ohio, received its jurisdictional charter . . . — Map (db m121475) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 3-78 — Old Erie Lodge No. 3 Free and Accepted Masons
Old Erie received its original charter on October 19, 1803, from the Grand Lodge of Connecticut. In 1808, the lodge joined with five other Ohio lodges to organize the Grand Lodge of Ohio. The first man to preside as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge . . . — Map (db m65449) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 1-78 — Perkins House
This ornate Victorian/Italianate house was constructed in 1871 as the home of Henry Bishop Perkins, Sr., a civic, business, and political leader of the Western Reserve. During the 19th and early 20th century political figures such as U.S. Grant, . . . — Map (db m65450) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 22-78 — Phebe Temperance Sutliff
Born in Warren in 1859, Phebe T. Sutliff received a Bachelor's degree from Vassar College in 1880 and a Master of Arts from Cornell University in 1890. Miss Sutliff taught at Hiram College in Ohio and Rockford College in Illinois and served as . . . — Map (db m65451) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 37-78 — Ronald A. Parise, Ph.D., Astronaut / Scientist
Side A Dr. Ronald A. Parise (1951-2008), from Warren, was a payload specialist for the Astro 1, Columbia, and Astro 2, Endeavour, space shuttle missions in 1990 and 1995. He logged in more than 614 hours in space. Among his scientific . . . — Map (db m121477) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — Site of Neil Armstrong's First Flight
On July 26, 1936 at the age of six Neil Armstrong, a Warren and Champion Township resident took his "first flight" in a Ford Tri-motor airplane from the Warren Airways which was located on this exact site. This sparked his love of aviation. . . . — Map (db m73226) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 5-78 — Trumbull Red Cross Chapter House / Pioneer Cemetery
Trumbull Red Cross Chapter House Administration Building built in 1931. Chapter House built in 1962. Commemorating American Red Cross Centennial, 1881-1981. Pioneer Cemetery Early Western Reserve burial grounds, 1804-1848. Grave sites . . . — Map (db m65453) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.