First called Savage Diggins after the man who discovered gold here, 1848. Renamed Big Oak Flat about 1850 after giant oak tree that stood in the center of town, near this spot. Oak, which was about 13 feet in diameter and was undermined in 1869 and . . . — — Map (db m11022) HM
Reportedly founded about 1849 by group of Englishmen who employed Chinese as miners. Much surface gold found on hills and flats. Headquarters for stage lines in early 1850’s, and for several California Chinese mining companies. First Chinese tong . . . — — Map (db m906) HM
Created by Don Pedro Dam on the Tuolumne River near LaGrange. This project was completed in 1971 to provide irrigation, domestic water, flood control, electricity, recreation and fish enhancement. Constructed by City and County of San Francisco . . . — — Map (db m13199) HM
Due to water and terrain, pioneer trails and wagon roads converged at this point. First inn to accommodate travellers [sic] was opened here by Proctor & Co. in June, 1849. The following year a two-story hotel was built by James D. Taber and . . . — — Map (db m53269) HM
Near this site, now inundated by the waters of Don Pedro Reservoir, stood the historic town of Jacksonville. It was settled by Julian Smart who planted the first garden and orchard in the spring of 1849. Named for Colonel A. M. Jackson. In 1850 it . . . — — Map (db m5784) HM
First record of Montezuma was June 1850 when partners Solomon Miller and Peter K. Aurand, proprietors of the 'Montezuma Tent,' were attacked and Aurand killed by a group of Mexicans during the foreign miners tax excitement of that period. Due to the . . . — — Map (db m12991) HM
Built in 1853 by James W. Kerrick. Having come over the emigrant trail, to Keystone District with nine covered wagons. This place originally housed a restaurant, bar rooms and stables. Located on the main road from San Joaquin and Bay Region into . . . — — Map (db m53311) HM
Born December 17, 1880, in Snelling, Calif. One of the last of the stage drivers, Eddie made the haul from Chinese to the Coulterville, Groveland areas between 1898-1902 and drove the first mail stage over the "new" Shawmut Road.
Dedicated By . . . — — Map (db m907) HM
As a reminder of their homelands, people brought familiar plants to Columbia during the gold rush and in the years that followed. The plants were used to establish family gardens and orchards, providing seasonal vegetables and fruits, and . . . — — Map (db m53279) HM
Columbia was a boomtown.
The discovery of gold in 1850 attracted thousands of miners here. As more people arrived, the demand for goods, services and entertainment soared.
In the gold rush, Columbia stores and other businesses thrived. . . . — — Map (db m53301) HM
After the 1857 Fire, many generations of immigrants made this modest structure their family home. The new tenants applied their special touches, redecorating or expanding it to suit their needs. At times, they saved money by using salvaged materials . . . — — Map (db m64896) HM
This building was built in 1856 by Charles Alberding and has a predominant history as a saloon. Over time different business owners created new names for the building including: Alberding Saloon, Pioneer Saloon, Oyster Saloon, Saint Charles Saloon, . . . — — Map (db m77952) HM
Charles Crist Kress died Oct. 10, 1913. Age 84, Native of Alsage-Lorraine. He spoke five languages , a veteran of the Crimean War, married in New York, came around the Horn to San Francisco. He owned a baker shop on Kearny St. In 1863 he bought 160 . . . — — Map (db m12988) HM
Shortly after the fire of August, 1857, this one-story brick structure was built by three Frenchmen; L. Claverie, Charles Meysan, and Victor Pinchard. After their partnership dissolved in 1861, Meysan owned the building until 1869. He sold it to Sun . . . — — Map (db m53300) HM
One of the best preserved of early mining towns and known as “Gem of Southern Mines”. Gold discovered through cloudburst 1850. Population grew to 6000 in six weeks.
Governor Earl Warren signed bill at Columbia July 15, 1945, creating . . . — — Map (db m53277) HM
Columbia, the “gem of the southern mines,” became a town of 4000 to 5000 in the 1850s, following the discovery of gold here by the Hildreth party March 27, 1850. Gold shipments, estimated at $87,000,000, declined rapidly after 1858 but . . . — — Map (db m81870) HM
Prior to the mining in Columbia, the cemetery was located northwest of main street. In 1855 it was moved here, joining the existing Masonic and I.O.O.F. cemeteries. Ordinance #14, passed and approved on July 1, 1857, declared this ground to be a . . . — — Map (db m8565) HM
This Masonic Cemetery has been in continuous use since 1853. Many Masons buried here were gold miners and soldiers. Wives and children of Masons are also interred here. Some are known only to God.
"Soft and safe to thee, my brother, by thy resting . . . — — Map (db m12990) HM
In early 1860 the school lot was purchased, building plans selected, and the cornerstone laid. By fall the building was completed by a Mr. Donegan at a total cost of $4898. Dedication ceremonies were held, as was a grand calico party to raise money . . . — — Map (db m8562) HM
This wood frame building is a reproduction of a miners’ boarding house that stood on this site and was destroyed in the fire of July 10, 1854. Rebuilt, it was destroyed again in the fire of August 25, 1857.
A third building burned in 1861 and the . . . — — Map (db m53299) HM
Established by Charles Maisson and a group of French goldseekers in 1851. Gold discovered in nearby Long Gulch in that year. At one time 300 miners lived here and traded at store, ruins of which are west of this monument. Regular pack trains brought . . . — — Map (db m64895) HM
The inspiration to revive the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, a benevolent society prominent in Gold Rush days, occurred fifty years ago to Carl I. Wheat as he traveled from Columbia down to Parrots Ferry on the Stanislaus River. ECV . . . — — Map (db m53303) HM
Here on November 29, 1858, was held the celebration in honor of the completion of the Columbia and Stanislaus River Water Company's ditch, which brought water from the north fork of the Stanislaus River to Columbia. James Wood Coffroth, attorney, . . . — — Map (db m25649) HM
Stopping place of packers carrying supplies to miners. Often 200 jackasses on hill over night furnishing concert suggesting name “Jackass Hill”. Very coarse gold found here. $10,000 taken from 100 square feed of ground. Quartz found . . . — — Map (db m6861) HM
Replica, with original chimney and fireplace. Here on Jackass Hill, young Mark Twain, while guest of Gillis Brothers, 1864-65, gathered material for "Jumping Frog of Calaveras", which first brought him fame, and for "Roughing It". — — Map (db m53262) HM
[Seal of Rotary International]
This cabin was first built in 1922 to commemorate the famed author’s presence in Tuolumne County during the winter of 1864-65. Sam Clemens had come over the mountains from Virginia City, Nevada, to San . . . — — Map (db m53327) HM
This monitor used by Louis Dondero Yankee Hill Mining and Gravel 1873 produced one million dollars in gold annually. Largest monitor in Southern Mines. Hydraulic mining was prohibited by legislature in 1906.
Dedicated October 28, 1967
Re-dedicated . . . — — Map (db m53278) HM
While they were crossing the plains with their families, five hundred Mormon men were inducted into the United States Army in July, 1846 to aid in the war against Mexico in California. The Mormon Battalion marched 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs, . . . — — Map (db m6842) HM
Site of ferry crossing established 1860 by Thomas H. Parrott connecting mining towns of Tuttletown and Vallecito. Ferry in operation until 1903 when first bridge built. Ferry boat of flat bottom wooden construction propelled on heavy cables. Cable . . . — — Map (db m6839) HM
In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. . . . — — Map (db m8590) HM
Name derived from two sawmills erected here to supply mining timbers early 1850’s. Population at one time 1000. Rich in pocket gold in heyday. Mining camp of Mexican woman, Doña Elisa Martinez, at north end of flat, reported to have been hideout of . . . — — Map (db m6809) HM
Armed with pickaxes,shovels and powerful jets of water miners, removed massive amounts of dirt and gravel to expose the marble limestone formations you see here today. Deep open-pit mines once extended for miles east and south of Columbia. . . . — — Map (db m53306) HM
The firm of Donnell & Parsons built Columbia’s first brick building at this corner in April of 1853, a general store which carried a wide range of merchandise and provisions. The building survived a big fire in July, 1854 but was badly damaged by a . . . — — Map (db m53298) HM
Springfield received name from abundant springs gushing from limestone boulders. Town with its stores, shops and hotel, built around plaza. Once boasted 2,000 inhabitants. Believed founded by Donna Josefa Valmesada, Mexican woman of means with . . . — — Map (db m6810) HM
Springfield was founded in 1850 with up to 2000 inhabitants. Its downfall soon commenced, however, owing, in great part, to the foreign miner’s tax.
This cemetery, located on a hill above the town, was first used in 1852 and the last burial was . . . — — Map (db m72195) HM
This building was built as Madame Louis' French Laundry in 1856. The area to the right has remained a garden since 1852. In 1976 Grace Burns deeded as a gift cabin to U.O.P. which had used the property since 1952. State purchased it in 1991. — — Map (db m62023) HM
Early day stopping place for men and mounts. Named for Judge Anson A. H. Tuttle who built first log cabin here in 1848. Stones used in this base from old Swerer Store built in 1854, remains of which still exist, 1949. Mark Twain traded here. . . . — — Map (db m6843) HM
Every aspect of Columbia’sdevelopment depended on water. Without it, mining could not continue and the town could have died. In the early days of Columbia, fights broke out because of the short supply of water. To resolve the problem (and make . . . — — Map (db m53296) HM
At this historical site in 1850, over 3,000 prospectors worked. Over 10 million Dollars in Gold was extracted from Italian Bar & nearby “diggins”.
It is now private property owned by The Lost Dutchman’s Mining Association.
No . . . — — Map (db m58875) HM
James Wilson, a Norwegian immigrant shoemaker, purchased the property and brick building to the right in 1869. The brick building housed his shop; living quarters were in the rear. Wilson died in 1876, leaving his widow, Rose, and 8 children. This . . . — — Map (db m53297) HM
The Bartleson-Bidwell party of 34 people was the first emigrant group to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains from the east. When they passed through this area during late October 1841, some of the party tried to follow the river. The impassable canyon . . . — — Map (db m78076) HM
The canyon to your right was the scene of the last battle between Indians and whites in Tuolumne County. On February 10, 1858, a band of Piutes attacked a group of employees of the Columbia & Stanislaus River Water Co. In the fight which followed . . . — — Map (db m78075) HM
Completed in 1860 by innkeeper David Hayes in anticipation of the soon to be completed Sonora-Mono Toll Road.
By 1865 with the toll road completed, wagons, stages, and pack trains used the station as a mail, relay, and rest stop for weary . . . — — Map (db m58847) HM
The Spanish first introduced the arrastra to the New World in the 1500’s. The work “arrastra” come from the Spanish word “arrastre”, meaning to drag along the ground. When ore was quarried out of the hard rock mines, the . . . — — Map (db m53272) HM
In 1859 a wooden suspension flume 2200’ long was constructed across this valley by G.W. Holt and August Conrad as a link in the Golden Rock Ditch system which conveyed the water of the South Fork of the Tuolumne River to the mining areas of . . . — — Map (db m53274) HM
Formerly called “First Garrote” traced to hanging of Mexican for stealing horse. Adobe buildings still standing (1949) built in 1849 as shown by dated adobe brick taken from partition. Gold discovered here 1849. Thousands in placer gold . . . — — Map (db m14698) HM
Built in 1849 for Joshua D. Crippen and Co., it served as an adobe trading post and dwelling house until 1865. George Reid bought the property in 1851. Sold to Matthew Foote in 1866 who converted the building and opened the Garrote Hotel, renamed . . . — — Map (db m51559) HM
Masterminding the Hetch Hetchy Water and Power Project was the brilliant chief engineer Michael Maurice O’Shaughnessy. One of his first priorities was to build a reliable and high-capacity standard gauge railway that could traverse the rugged . . . — — Map (db m1944) HM
The great 1906 San Francisco earthquake destroyed key portions of the City of San Francisco’s water system. The three days of unquenchable fires that followed the quake claimed more than four square miles of land, thousands of buildings and an . . . — — Map (db m1940) HM
A U.S. Forest Service crew leader from Siskiyou County, Calif. lost his life while fighting the Stanislaus Complex Fire which destroyed 147,000 acres. For the love of the forest he gave the ultimate sacrifice September 11, 1987.
Sit and rest . . . — — Map (db m905) HM
This building is the oldest liquor-serving establishment in the state of California. It began life in 1852 as “The Granite Store” built by Peter King. It operated as a general mercantile with, of course, the obligatory “plank over . . . — — Map (db m53273) HM
(Tablet 1) O’Shaughnessy Dam
City and County of San Francisco.
James Rolph Jr. Mayor
• Foundation Elev. 3388
• Bottom Valves Elev. 3508
• Initial Crest Elev. 3726
• Length of Crest 600
• Storage . . . — — Map (db m1920) HM
Every year the Hetch Hetchy Water and Power System produces 1.7 billion kilowatt-hours of clean renewable hydropower - equivalent to the power generated from burning 39 million gallons of oil.
Early Intake Powerhouse was built in 1918, twelve . . . — — Map (db m1941) HM
Sizable settlement established at this rich placer location in 1849 by miners spreading east from Big Oak Flat and Groveland. Famous Hangman's Tree, part of which still stands (1950), reported to have been instrumental in death of a number of . . . — — Map (db m10212) HM
Within this 459-square-mile Hetch Hetchy watershed are 287 miles of trails, including a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. They offer views of an abundance of flora and fauna, along with breathtaking scenery.
Upstream from the dam to your . . . — — Map (db m1943) HM
The Tuolumne River supplies 85% of the water for 2.4 million people. It originates from pristine spring snowmelt as far upstream as Mt. Lyell at an elevation of 13,114 feet.
The City and County of San Francisco protects the resources entrusted . . . — — Map (db m1942) HM
Location of general offices and maintenance shops for the Sierra Railroad, 1897 – 1955. Steam passenger excursion trains operated, 1971 – 1979.
The railroad served many Mother Lode mines and was a trunk line for the Sugar Pine . . . — — Map (db m32308) HM
Built circa 1910 as Klein and Baum commercial building. Purchased by County of Tuolumne in 1955 by Resolution 39 of Board of Supervisors, Kerr, Dondero Millard, Nicholls and Williams, “for use as a Justice Court and other public . . . — — Map (db m33684) HM
Founded in 1848, one mile from the first gold find in Tuolumne County, at Woods Crossing.
Arriving in 1849, Col. George F. James, a merchant popular for supplying free champagne to patrons, was elected acalde, and the town was dubbed . . . — — Map (db m33668) HM
California’s gold country was in the midst of a second gold rush when the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors approved construction of a Jamestown Branch Jail. It was designed by Sonora architect C.W. Ayers and built by A.S. Thomas for $1060.00, it . . . — — Map (db m33671) HM
"Built and paid for in 1852 partly by the gamblers and partly by the good people of Jamestown for the use of all sects on Sundays and for educational purposed on week days." – Mulford / 1860's.
Deeded to Methodist Episcopal Church June 6, . . . — — Map (db m69733) HM
Known as gateway of Mother Lode and to southern mines, gold first discovered in Tuolumne County west of this point at Woods Creek by James Woods shortly before town was founded by Col. George James, August 8, 1848. Large quantities of gold recovered . . . — — Map (db m2304) HM
This historic Gold Rush Landmark, built in 1859 by Heinrich Neilson as the Hotel Europe, housed miners and notables: offered lodging, meals and a saloon. The original building was badly damaged by fire of 1901 and 1927.
Renamed the . . . — — Map (db m33676) HM
Ignacia Ramirez, female pioneer and native of Mexico, earliest known owner of this Gold Rush building. Upstairs meeting hall of St. James Masonic Lodge #54, acquired 1877 by R.A. Preston. Jamestown Post Office in 1930’s; later medical office of Dr. . . . — — Map (db m33781) HM
Passed away July 6, 1921 at the family home on Algerine Road at the age of 77. John Rocca was a man of strong personality and rare business judgement. He gained a wide host of friends and accumulated land and business undertakings which he managed . . . — — Map (db m42665) HM
California’s Mother Lode short line
Incorporated in 1897 by T.S. Bullock and W. Crocker. That first ran
35 miles from Oakdale to Jamestown
then north to Angels Camp and
south to Hetch-Hetchy. — — Map (db m32364) HM
Between 1897 and 1955 this shops[sic] complex, including freight house, roundhouse, turntable and car shops, was Sierra Railway's main locomotive and car maintenance facility. Sierra served the hardrock mining and lumbering industries, and assisted . . . — — Map (db m92876) HM
C.H. Wilson, architect and builder of department store for J.W. Witney & Sons. Acquired by Moses Arendt within year. Mercantile and telephone exchange in early 1900’s. In 1928, sold to Jim Porter and Peter Barendregt. Jake Barendregt, Sr. operated a . . . — — Map (db m53275) HM
The Humbug Mine was situated on the east slope of Table Mountain near Jamestown. It was the richest mine of its kind in the Mother Lode. Producing more than $4,000,000 worth of gold in its heyday. Due to the geology of the mountain, the mine . . . — — Map (db m102043) HM
Est. and in continuous operation since 1862. “The Willow Hotel” was named for the trees that were growing here long before the Gold Rush started. In its heyday The Willow hosted President McKinley, Mrs. Robert E. Lee and . . . — — Map (db m33720) HM
Tuolumne County history begins here. Early in 1848 a party of Philadelphia prospectors under the leadership of James Woods discovered gold 500 feet south east of this marker, where the old road crosses the creek now bearing Woods’ name. James . . . — — Map (db m5782) HM
Original marker which went missing following the 2007 fire:
First settled in late 1800s by Thomas Kennedy and used as a rest stop by early travelers across the Sierras, Kennedy Meadows was taken over by Frank Kurzi as tent camp and pack . . . — — Map (db m58831) HM
Oldest of the Trans-Sierra Emigrant Trails to California is spectacular Sonora Pass crossed by Highway 108, second highest (9,626 feet) of all the highway crossings of the range. The Bartleson-Bidwell Party, with mules, horses and oxen, made the . . . — — Map (db m57989) HM
The idea of a wagon road through this pass connecting Tuolumne County with mining towns of Mono County was first called to attention by Andrew Fletcher in 1862. The original trail through Sonora Pass was opened for pack animals in September 1862. . . . — — Map (db m12480) HM
who succeeded to the chieftainship of the Mi-Wuk tribe at the age of 15 in 1888 and until his death continued his great interest in the welfare of California Indians A rancher, logger, rancheria chairman, weather prophet, oracle and chairman of the . . . — — Map (db m49882) HM
The shrine was built for Moccasin Creek pioneer Guiseppe Ferretti by his neighbor Joseph Cavagnaro in 1884. The roadside shrine, believed to be the only one of its kind along Hwy. 49, was reminiscent of the kind found along roadsides in Italy. . . . — — Map (db m53271) HM
Settled by Julian Smart who planted first garden and orchard in Tuolumne County in spring of 1849. Named for Colonel A.M. Jackson who opened first trading post in 1849. In 1850 was second largest town in county and gathering center for thousands of . . . — — Map (db m53523) HM
Beneath this bridge lies the site of the historic Gold Rush mining camp of Stevens Bar (or Stephens Bar) founded in 1849.
The first bridge to span the upper Tuolumne River was constructed just above this point in 1857. Following its destruction . . . — — Map (db m53342) HM
"The passage of this emigrant train, which forced its way through this almost impassable section of the Sierra Nevadas in 1852, was one of peculiar hardship and suffering - excelled in this respect, perhaps only by the ill-fated one of '46 that . . . — — Map (db m99562) HM
Fred Leighton first entered this emigrant wilderness basin in 1895 to tend cattle with his uncle Alvah Shaw. Thanks to his vision to build check dams, first one in 1920, on the stream flows in the area. The water was reserved for fish propagation . . . — — Map (db m49886) HM
Strawberry Flat House, established about 1853 and named after the wild strawberry plants that grew at the Lair of the Golden Bear, the main stopping place on the Mono Road to accomodate [sic] the travelers over the new route. Across the . . . — — Map (db m49883) HM
Originating from Ohio & Indiana, the Clark Skidmore party of 1852 – 75 people & 13 mule wagons – was the 1st wagon train to gross the Sierra-Nevada via the Walker River-Sonora route. 35 days were spent to blaze a trail of 60 miles over . . . — — Map (db m49884) HM
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the Chinese Pioneers who for years made this section their home. It was a city within a city whose residents were isolated from their surrounding neighbors by a barrier of language, custom and religion. . . . — — Map (db m53333) HM
Discovered 1851, by Chileans, they took out a substantial amount of free gold.
Early 1870's acquired by James Divoll, Charles Clark, and Joseph Bray, sinking a shaft 1500 ft. in 1877. Big strike came in 1879, 990 lbs. of gold was removed in one . . . — — Map (db m7565) HM
Built in 1852 by Alonzo Green and James Lane, the City Hotel was constructed of adobe, slate and brick. A family hotel, there was a saloon, billard [sic] and dining room on the first floor, with private rooms and parlors upstairs. Originally . . . — — Map (db m53328) HM
Sonora was the goal of many emigrants traveling the various overland and sea routes.
The 1852 Clark-Skidmore Party of emigrants from Elizabethtown, Ohio and Lawrenceburg, Indiana struggled to force a wagon train up the Walker River and over the . . . — — Map (db m7566) HM
Built 1850, by Dr. Lewis C. Gunn, '49er physician, druggist, educator, county recorder, publisher "Sonora Herald" and promoter of many civic enterprises. Home of Dr. Gunn's family 1851-1861. County Recorder's Office 1850-1852. Printing office . . . — — Map (db m51564) HM
“His heart was finer metal than any gold his shovel ever brought to light”. Gallant Mex. War veteran fought in principal battles. Came California, ’49, Jackass Hill, ’50. Built famous cabin, intimately associated there with Mark Twain . . . — — Map (db m53330) HM
First issue published Oct.10, 1938 and last issue published June 30, 1958. Incorporated in The Union Democrat on July 1, 1958. First offset-lithographic newspaper adjudicated by the California Supreme Court, April 15, 1950. Admitted to the . . . — — Map (db m53329) HM
The corner property was originally called Patrick’s Corner, after George Washington Patrick, an early settler of Sonora and one of its first mayors. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Patrick left Sonora to volunteer his services to the . . . — — Map (db m6968) HM
In 1850 this community was alive with gold miners. James D. Fair, after whom the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is named, was one of the most notable. The Mississippi House, built in 1850, contains many relics including the original bar and . . . — — Map (db m6811) HM
Established in July, 1854, the pioneer newspaper was published at this location continuously until 1954. First publisher was Albert N. Francisco followed by a colorful group of editors that included Prentice Milford, John and Ferdinand Van . . . — — Map (db m31909) HM
First public water well in the city of Sonora and located on the perimeter of the early day plaza that was established by the Mexican immigrants as Sonora Camp. The well has its source in a spring underground at the northwest corner of the Bank of . . . — — Map (db m53261) HM
“Queen of the Southern Mines”, settled 1848 by Mexicans from Sonora, Mexico. City government established 1849. “Sonora Herald”, first newspaper in California mines, established July 4, 1950. Single copy, fifty cents; yearly, . . . — — Map (db m32021) HM
The Sonora Fountain was first erected in 1904 in the center of Washington Street, 75 feet northerly of its present location. Cast in an East Coast foundry, it was purchased by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and used for many years as a . . . — — Map (db m32018) HM
The Sonora Inn, originally the Hotel Victoria, is comprised of two buildings. The northern structure is stone and the southern is wood. G.B. Ventre and Philip Cavalero began construction on the stone building in 1895. Before its completion the . . . — — Map (db m51557) HM
James Divoll and Joseph Bray, owners of the Bonanza mine constructed the Star Flouring Mills on this site in 1879. In August 1885 the mill burned, leaving the stone and brick walls. From the ruins they built the Opera Hall. The Hall was only active . . . — — Map (db m31926) HM
For many years Stockton Road has been the main western entrance to Sonora. Originally it turned into a very narrow street at Bradford Street, and traffic would then continue into the City on Bradford.
This Shay engine was built by Lima . . . — — Map (db m31996) HM
In 1857, William Sugg, a freed slave, built this three-room brick-faced adobe house. The adobe blocks were made in the front yard. The walls are up to 18 inches thick. A wood frame kitchen was at the rear. As Sugg’s family eventually grew to 11 . . . — — Map (db m31861) HM
Constructed April 1981 – August 1982
Dedicated to the Citizens of
The Board of Supervisors
Clyde D. May – Chairman
Mildred Filiberti • Sidney H. Hatler • Steven C. Szalay • Billy H. Marr • William C. Davidson . . . — — Map (db m32012) HM
In 1854, Tuolumne County’s first courthouse was erected on this site donated to the county by John and Israel P. Yaney.
The cornerstone of the present courthouse, which replaced it, was dedicated September 26, 1898, at ceremonies held under the . . . — — Map (db m51574) HM
Following a Grand Jury indictment terming the current county jail a “public nuisance,” this site was acquired by the Board of Supervisors and a new jail constructed in 1857. The original building burned on December 20, 1865, taking the . . . — — Map (db m31923) HM
[ First Marker - See Photo #1 ]
Veterans Memorial Building
American Legion Post 58 & Auxiliary
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3154 & Auxiliary
Disabled American Veterans Chapter 119 & . . . — — Map (db m31933) HM
This building first used by Fred Freund, cabinet maker, upholsterer, undertaker in 1858. Prior to the 90’s, it was known as the Yosemite Hotel – later changed to the Yo–Semite House. It has been a hotel, hardware store, general store and . . . — — Map (db m31891) HM
The first community in Tuolumne County to be founded (1855) entirely upon the operation of a lode mine. Site of the famous Soulsby Mine (discovered by Benjamine Soulsby) which produced over $6,500,00 by 1900. The first hardrock miners who worked . . . — — Map (db m6951) HM
Ben Soulsby first settled here in 1851. His son, young Ben, when age 12, discovered the first gold in the area by accident. One evening, while walking the family cow home, he saw some gold, told his father who, upon investigation, found a rich vein . . . — — Map (db m6952) HM
Starting as a Mi-Wuk village, Standard was ranchland during the gold rush era, when the murderous Jim Lyons lived here. In 1909 Xavier Fassler sold his 567-acre dairy ranch to Standard Lumber Co. By the 1920’s the town had been sold to Pickering . . . — — Map (db m78214) HM
Toll gate, fine hotel and stables near this spot 1850's. Jedediah Smith reputed to have been first white man to cross over or near Sonora Pass, 1827. Portion of road built by Tuolumne County Water Co., 1852. Surveyed to Bridgeport, Mono County, . . . — — Map (db m6884) HM
First placer camp in East Belt section of Mother Lode. Gold discovered here in 1853 by Scott brothers, descendants of Cherokee Indians. Scars of placer “diggings” in every little arroyo in Cherokee Valley healed over by Mother Nature . . . — — Map (db m6819) HM
This hose cart house restored March 1974, by Tuolumne Hose Co. No. 1, in memory of those who fought fire and originated the first volunteer fire dept. in the townsite of Summerville in 1885. — — Map (db m6814) HM
Land homesteaded by Isaac Taylor Holland and the adjoining Campbell property was sold to Jonathan Florentine Ralph, who later divided and gave the parcels to his son's Galo, Walter, and Frank. An apple packing house, served by the Sierra Railroad . . . — — Map (db m6710) HM
Joseph Lord was a significant pioneer of the community. A naturalized Englishman, he was born about 1837 and died before 1906. The house was built around 1875 in the Italianate style. It is the oldest surviving house in the Tuolumne community. . . . — — Map (db m6816) HM
Geographical center of East Belt Placer Gold Rush, 1856-57. First white settlers, the Franklin Summers family, arrived in 1854 and built log cabin half mile west. James Blakely, in 1858, discovered first quartz lode, half mile east, naming it . . . — — Map (db m6711) HM
Erected in 1936 as a joint project of the Federal Public Works Administration and the County of Tuolumne, in grateful commemoration of those who gave their lives in heroic defense of “our altars and our fires” and the priceless human . . . — — Map (db m53331) HM
May 31, 1889 Henry J. Crocker, Wellington Gregg, Thomas Bullock and Charles Gardner formed the Westside Flume and Lumber Company, for a total cost of 361,000.00 dollars. The mill was built, and by the end of the year was in operation, and by 1900 . . . — — Map (db m7560) HM
Site of Mi-Wuk Pow-Wows and birthplace of Chief William Fuller. Homesteaded by John D. Williams family in 1865. Purchased by A.T. Wood in 1919. Twain Harte named by Kerurah Ball in 1923. — — Map (db m53339) HM
Discovered in 1853, Confidence Mine became one of California’s richest gold mines. It was developed by the pioneer stage owner and pony express man Ben Holladay. An incline shaft of 1,000’ was sunk and off that a 2,000’ horizontal shaft hit the best . . . — — Map (db m49881) HM
Located 100 feet west of this marker, the toll road started in the mid 1860’s and continued until the state took it over in 1901. The road was built because of the need for a route between Sonora and Bodie. Under state franchise, tolls did not . . . — — Map (db m53340) HM
This tablet commemorates
the successful labors of
Stephen T. Mather
Director of the National Park Service
in securing for the people
The Tioga Pass Road.
Dedicated to the enduring memory
of a faithful public servant
by the . . . — — Map (db m65574) HM
As early as 1860, prospectors explored Mono Pass in search of rich rock. Here, among the glacially carved granite and craggy peaks of the Sierra crest, these hardy men discovered silver deposits and went to work in hopes of fortune.
Buildings of . . . — — Map (db m65577) HM