Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tuscola County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Caro Masonic Temple and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, February 22, 2017
Caro Masonic Temple and Marker
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L1349 — Caro Masonic Temple
This two-story Italianate commercial building was erected in 1879. One of the first brick buildings on Caro's main street, the structure was built by businessman and philanthropist Charles Montague as a bank and general store. When the building was . . . — Map (db m101622) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — First Meeting of the Caro Rotary Club
On this site at the Hotel Montague, the first meeting of the Caro Rotary Club was held on October 9, 1925. Twenty businessmen gathered for the charter meeting of the Caro Rotary Club. Rotary is an international organization that spans the . . . — Map (db m101623) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L1257 — First Presbyterian Church of Caro
Twelve persons organized the First Presbyterian Church of Caro in December 1878. The Reverend Edward P. Clark, the Presbyterian minister at Vassar, conducted the organizational meeting with the assistance of the Reverend R.P. Shaw of Bedford, . . . — Map (db m101632) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — S432 — Peninsular Sugar Refining Company
The beet sugar industry in Michigan began growing rapidly in the late nineteenth century. The declining lumber industry had cleared thousands of acres of land suitable for the cultivation of sugar beets. In 1897 farmers were encouraged further to . . . — Map (db m101628) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L359 — Trinity Episcopal Church
This skillfully designed board and batten Gothic Revival church, first served local Episcopalians in 1880. The congregation had been formed in 1871, the year the town was incorporated. During the 1870s Caro grew to be a major commerce center for the . . . — Map (db m101616) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L1326 — Tuscola County Advertiser
The Tuscola County Advertiser began publishing on August 21, 1868. The city's oldest surviving business establishment, it was founded by Henry G. Chapin, a native of Conesus, New York. Chapin edited and published the paper for twelve years. . . . — Map (db m101614) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L1045 — Tuscola County Courthouse
Peter DeWitt Bush (1818-1913), the second permanent resident of the village of Caro, donated this site for the county courthouse square in 1866. Then he, along with two other pioneer settlers, moved an old frame church to the site to serve as the . . . — Map (db m101635) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L928 — Tuscola County Fair
On March 11, 1882, thirty-three years after the nation's first state fair was held in Detroit, the Tuscola County Fair was organized as the Caro District Agricultural Association. On September 19-22, 1882, the fair hosted its first agricultural, . . . — Map (db m101621) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Caro — L517 — William H. Carson House
Built in 1903 — Map (db m101592)
Michigan (Tuscola County), Richville — L540 — Frankenhilf
In 1849 Pastor Ferdinand Sievers of Bay County purchased over fifteen hundred acres of virgin forest here in Tuscola County to establish a colony of immigrants from revolution-torn Germany. A year later two families under the leadership of Pastor . . . — Map (db m101567) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Richville — The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf
One of four Bavarian settlements in the Saginaw Valley was founded here in June 1850, with the arrival of two families and a pastor. Frankenhilf, which means "Help of the Franconians" remained the community name until it later was changed to . . . — Map (db m101570) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Watrousville — L2059 — Juniata House
In 1851, Patrick McGlone (1810-1884) settled near here. Later, he built a one-story building that he named "Juniata House" where he provided lodging and food for travelers, as well as "good Barns" stocked "with hay and grain." His family served . . . — Map (db m101577) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Watrousville — L239 — Watrous General Store
Aaron Watrous and his crew of loggers came here in 1852 to cut the virgin pine of the Cass River Valley. In 1860 he platted the town, naming it Watrousville, and a few years later constructed this building as a general store. The flagpole in front . . . — Map (db m101582) HM
Michigan (Tuscola County), Watrousville — L1425 — Watrousville United Methodist Church
Circuit riders, who traveled through local villages, served the Watrousville United Methodist Church when it was established in 1856. The congregation became known as the Wastrousville Charge in 1861. In 1865 the first trustees of the congregation . . . — Map (db m101578) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.