Southern Wyoming has served as a major travel corridor since the mid 1800s – and for good reason. Emigrants traveling west needed safe routes where food and water were available. Guides familiar with the region determined the best route was . . . — — Map (db m67756) HM
Nineteenth Century railroads were dependent upon coal for fuel. The vast coal reserves of southern Wyoming helped determine the route of the transcontinental Union Pacific Railroad and were the basis for Wyoming's first energy boom. . . . — — Map (db m36537) HM
One of the greatest improvements by the Union Pacific Railroad occurred with the construction of Aspen Tunnel. It saved 10 miles in distance from Leroy to Evanston.
Work began on the tunnel in November 13, 1899, and was completed October 9, . . . — — Map (db m90122) HM
Nothing remains today as a reminder that Bear River City was one of the notorious "end-of-track" towns along the original Union Pacific transcontinental railroad line. Initially called Gilmer, the town was first settled by lumberjacks who arrived in . . . — — Map (db m90107) HM
The Bear River Watershed spreads across 7,500 square miles of mountain and valley lands that encompass portions of Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. Bear River is the main tributary to the Great Salt Lake and is the longest stream in the western hemisphere . . . — — Map (db m67972) HM
Evanston was established by the Union Pacific Railroad Company late in 1868. In the first county election, September 6, 1870, Evanston was chosen county seat. Union Pacific Railroad shops moved here in the fall of 1871. Timber and sawmill operations . . . — — Map (db m67738) HM
In February 1873 a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized in Evanston by President William Budge, of Bear Lake Valley, Idaho. On May 23, 1873 William G. Burton was ordained bishop. On June 24, 1890 this ward was . . . — — Map (db m36400) HM
Several plaques are located at this kiosk
Hilliard City and Piedmont
Early settlers began to arrive on "Hilliard Flats" in 1860 to ranch and grow crops. Long, cold winters and short growing seasons made it difficult to . . . — — Map (db m90438) HM
The first settler in the Hilliard area was John Myers who arrived in the middle to late 1850s. He worked at Fort Bridger in 1857, and in 1860 made his home on the Bear River where the Salt Lake Trail (California/Mormon Trail) crossed the river, a . . . — — Map (db m90437) HM
The Oregon and California Trails came into Uinta County from South Pass, whereas the Overland Trail came through Bridger Pass. In 1845, more than 3,000 emigrant were on the Oregon Trail seeking adventure, fortune or religious freedom.
The . . . — — Map (db m90113) HM
The Lincoln Highway was established in 1913 as the nation's first coast-to-coast automobile route. It consisted of existing roads that were marked with the distinctive Lincoln Highway logo. Perhaps the most famous means of identification was . . . — — Map (db m67739) HM
This crossing was on the historic Mormon Trail. Lands surrounding the crossing were a welcome rest stop for weary pioneers. John Myers ferried emigrants across the Bear River and provided needed supplies from his store.
In 1858, the Myers Ranch, . . . — — Map (db m90120) HM
by the members of
the Woodruff Stake
of the Church of
Jesus Christ of
in honor of the
passed this spot
July 12, 1847
under the leadership
of Brigham Young . . . — — Map (db m90124) HM
Both Shoshone and Arapahoe Indians camped in this area from the early 1800s until the Fort Bridger Treaty Council of 1868 established the Wind River Reservation.
They traded beadwork and pelts to the early pioneers for other goods. Chief . . . — — Map (db m90123) HM
In 1886, the Territorial Legislature established the Wyoming State Hospital, originally named the Wyoming State Asylum for the Insane, to provide care for mentally ill citizens. The site chosen for the hospital was at the southern edge of Evanston . . . — — Map (db m36549) HM
The most important event in the development of this area was the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad. The tracks came into Wyoming Territory in 1867. Many towns, now vanished, preceded the graders, bridge builders, tie hacks, and gandy . . . — — Map (db m90121) HM
Your trip across Wyoming takes you through vast expanses of shrublands made up mostly of sagebrush. To the casual observer this landscape may appear desolate, but sagebrush shrublands are diverse and home to a variety of wildflowers, birds, and . . . — — Map (db m67971) HM
Named after Major T.T. Thornburgn who was killed in a fight with Ute Indians near White River Agency, September 29, 1879. The dog was a survivor of a wagon train burned during the battle and grew up as a military camp follower. Eventually he ended . . . — — Map (db m90637) HM
From 1858 to 1890 the area in the foreground was occupied by the log and frame structure shown in the photograph. The building was the fourth Officers' Quarters in a row of six constructed shortly after For Bridger was declared a military post in . . . — — Map (db m90642) HM
These log buildings and corrals are a reconstruction of the trading post operated by mountain men Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez in 1846. The post was originally built in 1843 when the fur trade was rapidly dying due to a change in Eastern fashions . . . — — Map (db m90616) HM
This set of buildings completed the holdings of the Post Trader. The first board and batten building with the large double doors served as the carriage house. Judge Carter owned several animal-drawn vehicles which lent an air of wealth to the . . . — — Map (db m90748) HM
This structure was of frame construction and completed in 1884 during a period of extensive improvement at the Post. It supplanted the old log Commanding Officers Quarters which had been in use since 1850.
After the abandonment of Fort Bridger in . . . — — Map (db m90685) HM
This two story victorian house served as the Commanding Officer's quarters from 1884 until the post was abandoned in 1890. The luxury of the quarters and the list of V.I.P.'s who were entertained here suggest that the intended use of this building . . . — — Map (db m90686) HM
Beginning as a Wyoming Centennial project in 1990, archaeologists from Western Wyoming College have been working to uncover the physical remains of 19th century life at Fort Bridger. As the fort evolved over time, from an emigrant supply station, to . . . — — Map (db m90580) HM
Above is a copy of a watercolor of Fort Bridger done by Merritt D. Houghton (1845-1918), known for his historic illustrations of Wyoming towns, ranches and mines. The view is toward the south and the Uinta Mountains.
In 1889, the date of this . . . — — Map (db m90750) HM
At the close of the fur trade era, western America history began to take on a more permanent shape. The motivation of people coming west shifted away from exploration and hunting. Families were seeking land to clear and farm; men were hoping to find . . . — — Map (db m90618) HM
As a pup, Thornburgh was found by soldiers and named in honor of Major T.T. Thornburgh who was killed by Indians in 1879. The dog earned himself a place of respect over the years and is credited with several heroic deed. They include the capture of . . . — — Map (db m90636) HM
"At three o'clock p.m. we crossed Muddy Creek, a beautiful clear stream of water with a pebbly bottom, and camped on the west side after traveling 3 miles during the day ... we had a pretty campground... The brethren sang hymns for the President; it . . . — — Map (db m36566) HM
At the northeast corner of Judge Carter's complex rose the log chinked ice house. Three doors at the southern side appeared one over the other, allowing this tall building of 18 feet 7 inches by 14 1/4 feet to be entered at all levels as the ice . . . — — Map (db m90731) HM
Completed in 1887, this building served as an infantry barracks, or housing for infantry troops stationed here. With an interior of wooden floors and plastered walls, it was a vast improvement over the rude log barracks in use since 1858. Shaped . . . — — Map (db m90579) HM
The neat row of mortared cobblestones (#1) is a remnant of the west wall of the Mormon fort, which was completed in late summer of 1857. It is the largest and most impressive feature uncovered in recent excavations at Fort Bridger. The lighter . . . — — Map (db m90621) HM
The Muddy Creek Camp, which was northwest of this marker and on the west side of the Muddy Creek was used by Brigham Young's first group of Mormon pioneers who arrived here on July 9, 1847. Thomas Bullock reported that the brethren sang . . . — — Map (db m36573) HM
This log and frame officer's quarters was among the first buildings constructed at Fort Bridger in 1858. The log section of this cabin measures 41' x 33' with the rear addition of frame construction measuring 22.5' x 22'. It stood first in a row of . . . — — Map (db m90640) HM
This sketch of Fort Bridger appeared in the June 16, 1873 issue of New York's Daily Graphic, Shown are six log officer's quarters on the left; the hospital in the background; and the enlisted men's barracks on the right. — — Map (db m90749) HM
The fort was established about 1842 by Jim Bridger discoverer of Great Salt Lake; notable pioneer, trapper, fur trader, scout and guide. Bridger was born at Richmond, Virginia, March 17, 1804 and died at Westport, Missouri, July 17, 1881. His . . . — — Map (db m36596) HM
Built in 1868 of quarried limestone slabs, this guardhouse was a replacement for the not-so-secure log guardhouse that stood fifty yards north of here. With walls 2' thick, the exterior dimensions were 24' x 58'. The height of the roof went from 10' . . . — — Map (db m90582) HM
The post commissary, erected in 1867, measured 28' x 100' and was built of cut stone quarried about two miles west of the fort. A portion of the old cobblerock Mormon Wall was utilized to form a section of the building's north wall.
The . . . — — Map (db m90581) HM
Judge Carter began building his home in 1858 and continually added onto it as his family grew and his status improved. The house was a frame structure with board and batten siding. Two bay windows flanked the front porch. The Carter’s boasted one of . . . — — Map (db m90746) HM
As an indication of his wealth and influence William Carter provided three buildings not commonly available to the average person on the American frontier. The first frame building served the family as a private school. It measured a mere 11 feet 3 . . . — — Map (db m90732) HM
This building was constructed in 1887 and served as the post guardhouse until 1890. It was used to confine prisoners and to house men during their 24-hour shifts on guard duty. In addition to supervising the work activities of the prisoners, a . . . — — Map (db m90635) HM
The decedents re-interred here in 1933 represent a very significant cross section of those individuals whose name and contributions will ever be associated with Fort Bridger's early day history. Of particular interest are......
"Uncle Jack" . . . — — Map (db m90688) HM
In 1860 Judge Wm. A. Carter erected this school house for the education of his four daughters, two sons and other children of the fort. Competent instructors from the east were employed and the students of this school were permitted to enter Eastern . . . — — Map (db m90728) HM
In 1928, the Boy Scouts erected 2,400 of these monuments to commemorate the first Coast to Coast Highway from New York to San Francisco.
We dedicate this monument to the memory of Mr. Albino Fillin of Fort Bridger who though to save it for . . . — — Map (db m90689) HM
On August 3, 1855 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints concluded arrangements for the purchase of Fort Bridge from Louis Vasquez, partner of James Bridger, for $3,000. Final payment was made October 18, 1858. A cobblestone wall was . . . — — Map (db m90617) HM
The buildings in this area are virtually all that remain of the once thriving commercial empire of Judge William Alexander Carter and his wife Mary, Fort Bridger's only two Post Traders. Carter arrived at Fort Bridger with Colonel Albert S. . . . — — Map (db m90724) HM
Although Judge Carter dabbled in many areas, his main responsibility revolved around his activities as the post trader at Fort Bridger. In this store he sold various items not supplied by the Army to the garrison, including limited amounts of . . . — — Map (db m90727) HM
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their "New Zion" in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed into Iowa to . . . — — Map (db m90583) HM
Four panels are located at the kiosk
Town of Piedmont
Located west of the kilns, the town of Piedmont started out as a logging camp supplying ties for the approaching Union Pacific Railroad in the 1860s. It also served as . . . — — Map (db m90444) HM
This archaeological excavation has helped to document the prominent roll Native American women played in the day-to-dat activities of the trading post. They traded with travelers, provided food for guests, and at times, actually ran the post. . . . — — Map (db m90620) HM