Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Utah County Utah Historical Markers

 
American Fork City Hall Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 2, 2018
American Fork City Hall Marker
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — American Fork City Hall1993 National Register of Historic Places
The American Fork City Hall is significant as the seat of city government from 1903 to the present. Moreover, it is located on the site where civic offices have been concentrated since 1861. The building also represents an important change in . . . — Map (db m149848) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — Bank of American Fork1993 National Register of Historic Places
This building was constructed in 1905 on the northeast corner of the main intersection in the heart of American Fork's commercial district to house a bank established by Gay Lombard in July of 1891. This, the Bank of American Fork was the town's . . . — Map (db m149849) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — 171 — First Flour MillEarly Flour Milling
Arza Adams (1804-1889), pioneer millwright from Canada, came to Utah Valley with other pioneers to settle this area in 1850, soon after the first pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. Arza built a waterpowered “grist” mill on . . . — Map (db m149970) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — 47 — First Free Public School
This is a two-sided marker North side: The Territorial Legislature, February, 1866, authorized the levy of a tax for the support of schools within each district, pursuant to this act, Mayor Leonard E. Harrington called a meeting and the . . . — Map (db m149845) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — N-306 — First Presbyterian Church of American ForkUtah Historic Site
In 1877 Reverend George R. Bird arrived to begin activities of the Presbyterian Church of American Fork. Work on this modified Gothic Revival church began in 1878. The cornerstone for the completed was laid in September 1881 by Reverend Thomas F. . . . — Map (db m149968) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — 267 — Fort Wall at American Fork
In 1852 Mormon Pioneers who had settled on the American Fork creek received orders to build a fort for protection from Indians. Most cabins were moved into an enclosure 80x74 rods, covering 37 acres. By 1855 each of the families built a wall 12x6 . . . — Map (db m149844) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — Harrington Elementary School1993 National Register of Historic Places
This school was among the first wave of public schools built in Utah as a result of an 1880 educational reform. Local legislator Leonard Harrington, for whom the school was named, was influential in changing the educational system in Utah by . . . — Map (db m149846) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — 189 — Log Cabin Grist MillFirst Flour Mill in American Fork
During the winter of 1850-51, Arza and Sabina Adams moved their family of seven children here from Mill Creek, Salt Lake Valley. They built a log cabin across the street east of where you stand. Journals tell that Arza built a grist mill near his . . . — Map (db m149842) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — 114 — Pioneer Cemetery
This spot served as burial ground for pioneers of American Fork from about 1852 to 1868. When death came to the village, bodies were prepared for burial and graves dug by friends and relatives. Some Indians were buried here. Listed on the . . . — Map (db m149972) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — The American Fork 2nd Ward Meeting HouseNational Register of Historic Places
On 13 July 1901, The American Fork 2nd Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was created along with the 1st, 3rd, and 4th wards of the new American Fork Stake. On 9 October 1902, Joseph H. Storrs, who served as bishop from 1901 to . . . — Map (db m149843) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — The Historic City Hall BellProperty of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers
The bell atop this City Hall has a long history in American Fork. It was originally purchased for $211.17 in 1887, and was placed in the tower of the old City Hall at Main and Center Streets. Sorrow, joy, disaster, emergency and other messages were . . . — Map (db m149989) HM
Utah (Utah County), American Fork — Veterans Memorial Building1993 National Register of Historic Places
The Veterans Memorial Building, also known as the Legion Hall, was originally constructed as a commercial building sometime before 1932. In 1934 it was extensively remodeled as an early public works project funded by three sources: A Civil Works . . . — Map (db m149850) HM
Utah (Utah County), Elberta — Elberta
Elberta was originally established in the early 1900's as two seperate settlements Elberta and also Verda, four miles south of this location. The surrounding 15,000 acres were purchased in 1892 by Gilbert Payton and Ernest Rigdon with visions of a . . . — Map (db m75305) HM
Utah (Utah County), Fairfield — 82 — Fairfield-Camp Floyd-Fort Crittenden / The Pony Express
Upper Marker: Fairfield - Camp Floyd - Fort Crittenden In 1855 Fairfield was settled by John Carson, William Carson, David Carson, William Beardshall and John Clegg. A rock fort 4 rods square was erected in 1856-57, this monument . . . — Map (db m149983) HM
Utah (Utah County), Fairview — 227 — Given Family Massacre
In the spring of 1865 John Given with his wife Eliza and their four children, John Jr., Mary, Anna, and Martha, settled in the meadow land about 110 feet west of here. They built a cabin and willow shanty. Charles Brown and Charles W. Leah were . . . — Map (db m139785) HM
Utah (Utah County), Goshen — Goshen's Historic Grist Mill Stone
Goshen Grist Mill was built in 1864 or 1865 by William W. Smith. He operated the Mill south of present day Goshen on the creek until 1866 when the Black Hawk War forced him to move to Santaquin for protection. Later the Edgar Finch family ran a farm . . . — Map (db m75303) HM
Utah (Utah County), Goshen — 556 — Original Goshen Pioneer Cemetery
As early Latter-day Saint pioneers came to the Goshen Valley, they settled in areas then known as Sandtown, The Bend, and The Fort. Later, President Brigham Young urged the settlers to form the township of Goshen and predicted that a new highway . . . — Map (db m75304) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Bishop David EvansA Lehi Founding Father — Sculpted by Jonathan Bronson —
Born 27 October 1804 in Cecil County, Maryland, the oldest son of Israel Evans and Abigail Alexander. Reared in Maryland and Pennsylvania, settling in Ohio to start a family. Baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1833; . . . — Map (db m150060) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Frank H. Eastmond ParkFrank Hindley Eastmond (1892-1961) — Clarissa Taylor Eastmond (1895-1961) —
With wife Clarissa Taylor of Provo, Frank Hindley Eastmond upgraded and refurbished Saratoga Springs Resort and Farms in the 1930s. Saratoga now featured day-and-night warm-water swimming, regional ballroom dancing and baseball. The competition was . . . — Map (db m150066) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 183 — John Austin Cabin
This cabin was built by John Austin in 1868 on Bull River (3500 North Center). John’s son Parley married Charlotte Butt in 1884. They moved into the cabin which had been vacated by Parley’s parents. In the late 1890’s Parley built a home in Lehi and . . . — Map (db m150068) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 153 — Lehi Cemetery
In February, 1851 this plot of ground along the north side of state road and west of dry creek was dedicated as a cemetery for the city of Lehi; when John Griggs White, aged 75 years, was buried. This land was government owned; later it was a home . . . — Map (db m150062) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 533 — Lehi Hotel
The Lehi Hotel is the oldest standing Adobe Hotel between Salt Lake City and Denver. As early as 1853, Joseph Johnson Smith operated a blacksmith and wagon shop on this site, which was inside the western wall of Lehi Fort. John Woodhouse expanded . . . — Map (db m149974) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Lehi Meeting House
Site of the first meetinghouse of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Lehi, Built in 1855. Replaced in 1972. Also used for civic meetings and upper rooms for school. — Map (db m149979) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Lehi Memorial BuildingUtah Historic Site
W.A. Knight first raised the idea of a Lehi Soldier’s, Sailor’s and Marine’s Memorial Building five weeks after Armistice Day (11 November 1918). Architects Walter E. Ware and Alberto O. Treganza, under the direction of Mayor Sydney Gilchrist, . . . — Map (db m150064) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 498 — Lehi Relief Society Hall
n 1881, this building was constructed as the Lehi First Ward Relief Society Hall. It was used as a gathering place for meetings and to display and sell homemade goods. The adobe building was completed in 1883. Funds for materials came from bake . . . — Map (db m150061) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Merrihew/Dalley Building
Harry Bert Merrihew, graduate of Highland Park College of Pharmacy of Des Moines, Iowa, commissioned this building in 1900 for his Lehi Drug Store. The upstairs portion of the thirty-by-fifty foot structure served as a lodge room for the Odd . . . — Map (db m150063) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 118 — Pioneers of Lehi
The pioneers of Lehi settled in this vicinity in the fall of 1850. Thirteen families located at Sulphur Springs, later Snow’s Springs, forty rods east of here where a fort was begun. Another group formed the Lott Settlement, to the southeast. Others . . . — Map (db m149977) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — 156 — Russon & Peck Immigration to Utah
Lott Russon, Sr. was born January 1, 1829, and Eliza Round was born October 21, 1830, in England. The couple married December 25, 1850, and converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints (LDS/Mormon) two years later. To support his . . . — Map (db m150069) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — The History of the Lehi Sugar Factory
The Lehi factory of the Utah Sugar Company, of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, occupies a pre-eminent place among early sugar mills in America. As historian Leonard Arrington has written: “It was the first sugar-beet factory . . . — Map (db m149976) HM
Utah (Utah County), Lehi — Utah Southern Railroad Depot
President Abraham Lincoln signed the pacific Railway Act into law on 1 July 1862 while the country was embroiled in civil war. The transcontinental railroad, built by the Central and Union Pacific Railroads, linked their roads at Promontory Summit . . . — Map (db m150067) HM
Utah (Utah County), Mapleton — Levi Kendall's Home
This Log cabin was built by Levi N. Kendalll, born April 19, 1822, rock Port, Niagara County, New York. He was a member of the advance guard of the First Company of Pioneers to enter the Salt Lake Valley, July 24, 1847, where he assisted in the . . . — Map (db m148665) HM
Utah (Utah County), Mapleton — N-375 — Roswell Darius Bird, Sr. HouseUtah Historic Site
Built about 1892 by Roswell Darius Bird Sr., this two-story brick residence is locally significant as a well-preserved example of Victorian influences on owner-built dwellings in Utah. Roswell Darius Bird, Sr. was born in Springville to Richard . . . — Map (db m148664) HM
Utah (Utah County), Mapleton — 515 — Site of First Mapleton Meeting House
Matilda Wells Streeper donated one acre of land at this site for the building of a meeting house. A grove of trees was left on the lot to beautify the grounds. On August 26, 1888, Apostle Francis M. Lyman of The Church of Latter-day Saints organized . . . — Map (db m148622) HM
Utah (Utah County), Orem — 455 — First Orem Chapel
Timpanogos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized November 8, 1885, at a meeting held in the log schoolhouse presided over by Presiding Bishop William B. Preston, his counselor Robert T. Burton, and Provo Stake . . . — Map (db m149450) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — 264 — City Hall
Payson, first settled in 1850, was incorporated January 21, 1852 with David Crockett as mayor. In 1870, during the administration of Mayor Orrawell Simons 1866-75, a City Hall, Payson's first brick building, was erected 377 feet west and 14 feet . . . — Map (db m148814) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition1776 - 1976
This is a two-sided marker Front Side: Two hundred years ago, while thirteen eastern colonies were giving birth to the United States of America, a small party of Spanish explorers was forging its way through the vast expanse of virgin . . . — Map (db m148811) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — N.E. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort
The fort was 60 rods square with corners built of logs forming a buttress. Adobe, rock and mud walls stood 8 feet tall, 4' wide at the bottom and 2' at the top. On a rock foundation with a deep 4' trench around the outside. It was built during . . . — Map (db m148786) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — N.W. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort
The fort was 60 rods square with corners built of logs forming a buttress. Adobe, rock and mud walls stood 8 feet tall, 4' wide at the bottom and 2' at the top. On a rock foundation with a deep 4' trench around the outside. It was built during . . . — Map (db m148787) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — 107 — Our Pioneers
Payson was settled Oct. 20, 1850, when a group of Mormons consisting of James Pace, John C. Searle, Andrew J. Stewart with their families, and two boys, Allison Hill and Nathaniel Haws, arrived at the northwestern extremity of the city. The creek on . . . — Map (db m148795) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — Payson City LibraryDedicated June 1, 2002
Erected in 1925, this building has served several businesses including Knowles Garage, JC Penney Company and Whitelock Antiques. Commonly known as the JC Penney Building, the building was updated during 2000 and subsequently purchased by Payson City . . . — Map (db m148797) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — 157 — Payson's Pioneer Industry
This Pioneer Millstone designates the centennial of Payson City, founded Oct. 20, 1850, by Mormon settlers. Near this monument on Peteetneet Creek was erected the first public building, a log cabin used as a school, church and fort. A sawmill and . . . — Map (db m148813) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — S.E. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort
The fort was 60 rods square with corners built of logs forming a buttress. Adobe, rock and mud walls stood 8 feet tall, 4' wide at the bottom and 2' at the top. On a rock foundation with a deep 4' trench around the outside. It was built during . . . — Map (db m148789) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — S.W. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort
The fort was 60 rods square with corners built of logs forming a buttress. Adobe, rock and mud walls stood 8 feet tall, 4' wide at the bottom and 2' at the top. On a rock foundation with a deep 4' trench around the outside. It was built during . . . — Map (db m148790) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — Samuel Douglass HouseUtah Historic Site
Built in 1874 and expanded c. 1894 and 1912, the Samuel Douglass House is architecturally significant in Payson. It is an excellent local example of the vernacular interpretation of nineteenth-century Greek and Gothic Revival styles subsequently . . . — Map (db m148792) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — N-174 — The John Dixon HouseUtah Historic Site
The John Dixon House, constructed in 1893-1894 is an excellent Utah example of the Richardsonian Romanesque design on a residential building. The house was constructed for John Dixon, a native of Payson and important figure in the state's livestock . . . — Map (db m148793) HM
Utah (Utah County), Payson — The Walker War
You are a fool for fighting your best friends, for we are the best and the only friends that you have in the world" wrote Brigham Young to the Ute Indian Chief Walkara in 1853, after the latter had engaged the settlers of Utah in their first major . . . — Map (db m148815) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Battle CreekMar. 5, 1849
This monument is in memory of the first armed engagement between the Mormon Pioneers and the native Americans that inhabited Utah Valley, and serves as a reminder of the extreme sacrifice given by both people This skirmish at the mouth of Battle . . . — Map (db m149512) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 246 — Civil War Skirmish at Pleasant Grove12 April 1863
Not all Federal Troops fought Confederates during the Civil War. Some were posted in the West to protect Union interests. Battles and skirmishes in the West were considered part of the Civil War. * The 3rd Reg. California Volunteer Infantry . . . — Map (db m149573) HM WM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Jeppa and Anna Nelson Granary
Built c1874 at 200 W. 100 N. over what is thought to be their original rock-lined dugout. This granary is representative of many granaries built by all Pleasant Grove farmers for grain storage. Root vegetables and apples were stored in cellars, some . . . — Map (db m149576) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 133 — Old Pleasant Grove Fort
In 1853 because of Indian troubles, Brigham Young instructed the people to build forts for protection. A two foot six inch rock wall from three to five feet high, four city blocks square, was built here. Private homes faced the center of the . . . — Map (db m149513) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Old Pleasant Grove Fort
Fort Wall S. W. Corner — Map (db m149515) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Old Pleasant Grove Fort
Fort Wall N. W. Corner — Map (db m149516) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Old Pleasant Grove Fort
Fort Wall N. E. Corner — Map (db m149517) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 341 — Pioneer Flour Mill
In 1872 Archibald Gardner built the first flour mill in Pleasant Grove which he sold, in 1876, to David Adamson who installed these grinding stones. They were run by waterwheel also a steam engine when water was low. Grain was ground into fine flour . . . — Map (db m149578) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 90 — Pioneer Relic Hall
This building is one of the oldest schools and community centers now standing. The west wing built about 1864, from adobes salvaged from first and second school houses of 1852-53. Planned by Henry Greenhalgh. Center and east rooms added about . . . — Map (db m149580) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — S-42 — Pleasant Grove Town HallUtah Historic Site
Built in 1886 of locally quarried tufa rock. N. P. Poulsen was in charge of the construction. Converted for use as a public library in 1960. — Map (db m149571) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 514 — Site of the First Settlement of Pleasant Grove
Early in the year of 1849, an Indian party confronted some Mormon settlers and took their cattle. The Indians and cattle were later found camped by a stream and a battle erupted. Three Indians were killed, and the area became known as Battle . . . — Map (db m149581) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — 56 — Utah’s First Indian BattleIn Commemoration of
The first battle between Indians and the Utah Pioneers occurred in February 1849, two miles east of this monument, near the mouth of the canyon, between the Deseret Militia and the Indians. The stream and canyon were named “Battle Creek” . . . — Map (db m149511) HM
Utah (Utah County), Pleasant Grove — Winter Corral
In 1884, Niels and Maria Poulson purchased a house on 1.68 acres of ground, facing Center Street, on block 4, from Lycwigus A. Wilson, who had owned it for just three years. The rock walls of the historic, characteristic "sheepfold" that stood on . . . — Map (db m149575) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 104 West CenterProvo Commercial Historic District
R. Spence Hines, a pharmacist who made his money in the Tintic mines, constructed this building in 1885 as a drug store and saloon (The Palace) and rebuilt it to its present shape in 1890. Hines was a member of the Independent Order of Old Fellows . . . — Map (db m149034) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 110-120 West CenterProvo Commercial Historic District
Built in 1900 by Henry L. Southworth, this building was known historically as the Southworth Block and originally housed four businesses with a public hall on the second floor. Some of the businesses that operated in this building include the Palace . . . — Map (db m149032) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — A Place of Gathering
The Meetinghouse (left) and the Utah Stake Tabernacle (right) as they appeared circa 1885. The baptistry is located in front of the meetinghouse. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have gathered on this . . . — Map (db m149091) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 376 — Brigham Young Academy
In October 1875, President Brigham Young executed a deed of trust to establish an academy. First classes were held in January 1876, Warren N. Dusenberry, Principal. Karl G. Maeser became Principal April 1876 to 1892. First school held on this site . . . — Map (db m149027) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Brigham Young Academy Square
This block is named Brigham Young Academy Square in recognition of its vital history. In 1875, Brigham Young, then President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, founded Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah. He appointed a board of . . . — Map (db m146798) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Craghead Field
This was the former site of Craghead Field and the location of the Western Boys Baseball Association Little League World Series in 1961. Named after Jack Craghead, owner of Craghead Plumbing, this field was home to the American and Central Boys . . . — Map (db m149448) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Dr. Barney Clark
In memory of Dr. Barney Clark and his tremendous courage and pioneering spirit. Dr. Barney Clark dedicated his life to the practice and advancement of medicine from his entry into medical school until his death. Dr. Clark was a vital . . . — Map (db m149106) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 1 — Escalante Trail
Fray Francisco Silvestre Velez De Escalante and Fray Francisco Atanasio Dominguez, two Catholic Priests of the Franciscan Order accompanied by their attendants Don Juan Pedro Cisneros - Lucrecio Muniz Don Dernardo Miera Y Pacheco - . . . — Map (db m149097) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 249 — First Tabernacle
In 1856 this ground was dedicated as a site for Utah Stake Tabernacle. Construction commenced in 1863. Edifice was three stories high, 81 feet long, 47 feet wide, belfry 80 feet. Built of adobe with rock foundation 7 feet at base, 4 feet at top. A . . . — Map (db m149446) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 22 — Fort Utah
The original settlement at Provo (Fort Utah) was established March 12, 1849 by President John S. Higbee, with Isaac Higbee and Dimick B. Huntington, counselors, and about 30 families or 150 persons, sent from Salt Lake City by President Brigham . . . — Map (db m149025) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Historic Utah County CourthouseUtah Historic Site
The Provo City and County Building, now called the Historic Utah County Courthouse, was built between 1920-1926. Joseph Nelson, the architect, traveled with a committee to the West Coast to gather ideas from other administration buildings, prepared . . . — Map (db m149096) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 297 — Pioneer Burial Grounds
In 1853, the original four blocks of this cemetery became the final burial ground for Provo Pioneers who were first buried in Fort Field, Grandview and Temple Hill and later moved to this cemetery. Some residents preferred to leave their dead . . . — Map (db m149101) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 126 — Pioneer Cemetery
During the years between 1860 and 1879 this plot of ground was used as a burial place for the pioneers. It was the junction where three farms joined. A child of Joseph Thompson was the first person interred, but as the owners objected to their land . . . — Map (db m149449) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 296 — Provo Woolen Mills
In 1870-72, four rods north of this site, Provo Woolen Factory was built at a cost of $155,000. Main building was stone, 65 x 145 ft., 4 stories high; another was 33 x 134 ft., 2 1/2 stories. A county court house built on this block in 1867 and John . . . — Map (db m149098) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Provo's Liberty Bell
This ship's bell is from the valiant USS Wasatch, flagship of the Seventh Fleet under Admiral Thomas C. Kincaid. the ship is famous for its outstanding service in the South Pacific during World War II. Official Navy records state that during the . . . — Map (db m149026) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Provo's Mormon Pioneers
Provo was settled by Mormon pioneers March 12, 1849. East of this monument a second fort was built in April, 1850. It was here that the settlers were threatened with massacre by Chief Walker and his Band of Indians, but were saved by Chief Sowiett's . . . — Map (db m149444) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — Site of the Old Provo High School

August 20, 1912, the Board of Education agreed, "That a high school be established in Provo City." The so-called high school began with "one year" then "two years" and then more until it became a four year school. At the close of the school . . . — Map (db m149028) HM

Utah (Utah County), Provo — 360 — Startup Candy Factory
In 1868 William D. Startup brought across the plains the tools of candymaking: scales, iron edging bars, drop machine, shears and hooks. After pursuing his profession in Salt Lake City, he moved to Provo and built the first candy factory in 1875. . . . — Map (db m149100) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — N-160 — The Knight BlockUtah Historic Site
The Knight Block, designed by Architect Richard C. Watkins, was constructed for Jesse Knight in 1900. The building served as the financial headquarters for the mining, manufacturing, agricultural, and commercial activities for one of Utah's most . . . — Map (db m149095) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 568 — The Octogon House
Henry Larkin Southworth’s large two-story Octagon House and Store were built on this site in the early 1850’s. John Henry Smith, young son of Apostle George A. Smith, hauled the oversized adobe brick to build the two-feet-thick walls. Artisans, . . . — Map (db m149030) HM
Utah (Utah County), Provo — 369 — Utah Lake Resorts
Settlers of the Utah Lake area, attracted by its sandy beaches, built resorts which provided dancing, boating, swimming and picnicking. The earliest sites and their proprietors were “Woodbury Park” Pleasant Grove 1880, B.W. Driggs Jr., . . . — Map (db m149023) HM
Utah (Utah County), Salem — 36 — Pond Town Fort
This monument marks the site of Pond Town Fort. In 1851 David Fairbanks and David Crockett located land adjacent to a small stream at the head of Salem Lake and built a dam. In 1856 Eli Ashcraft, Royal Durfrey, Silas Hillman, Aquilla Hopper, Jacob . . . — Map (db m101962) HM
Utah (Utah County), Salem — 479 — Salem’s First Post Office
This log cabin was used as the first Post Office in Salem. It was built on the east bank of the Salem Pond by George Killiam, who served as postmaster from March 1, 1872 to 1877. Harry Nelson then purchased the cabin, moved it to the southeast part . . . — Map (db m148766) HM
Utah (Utah County), Santaquin — 293 — First Relief Society Hall
In 1882, on this site, a Relief Society building was erected under the leadership of Elizabeth J. Stickney, President. It was a one room structure, 20 x 30 feet in size, built of red clay brick made by Joseph Chatwin. The interior was furnished with . . . — Map (db m75295) HM
Utah (Utah County), Santaquin — 109 — Santaquin
The town of Santaquin was settled in the spring of 1851. At that time it was called Summit Creek, as it was located on a ridge between Utah and Juab counties. Due to Indian hostilities in 1853, the settlers were forced to leave their homes and move . . . — Map (db m75296) HM
Utah (Utah County), Santaquin — Southern Utah Valley
The Dominguez-Escalante expedition looking for a route between Spanish New Mexico and California were the first white men to enter Utah Valley. They camped a few miles north of this site on September 23, 1776, and spent several days exploring and . . . — Map (db m75294) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition1776 – 1976 — Utah Valley viewed from Dominguez Hill —
On July 29, 1776, Fathers Dominguez and Escalante with their party of 10 left Santa Fe, New Mexico to find a new route to Monterey, California. After nearly 1000 miles they and their two native guides reached the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon on . . . — Map (db m148618) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Escalante
A Spanish priest, the first white man to look upon this valley, camped with his comrades beside the Spanish Fork, September 23, 1776. --------------- Placed to perpetuate the memory of that event by the Spirit of Liberty Chapter . . . — Map (db m148729) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 35 — First Settlement of Icelanders in the United States
Leif Eiriksson, an Icelander, discovered America in 1000 A.D. Eight centuries later 1855-1860 sixteen pioneers from Iceland established in Spanish Fork the first permanent Icelandic settlement in the United States. They were: Samuel Bjarnson & Wife . . . — Map (db m101330) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Fort Palmyra
Settled by Mormon pioneers in 1851 a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized on December 21, 1851 with William Pace as bishop. — Map (db m98354) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 221 — Lake Shore Fort
In 1862 a fort was erected one mile and a quarter north from this spot, on the west bank of the Spanish Fork River. It was a square and covered one acre of ground. The walls were four feet thick at the base and tapered to about two and a half feet . . . — Map (db m148721) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Leland
This area of Utah County was brought under cultivation and irrigation in the mid-1850's. A survey in the 1860's known as the "New Survey" designated where permanent roads and irrigation ditches would be. Leland has always been a highly . . . — Map (db m148764) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 192 — Old Academy
In 1872 a group of young men organized a debating & public speaking society with Geo. H. Brimhall, President. They erected this building. Samuel Brockbank had charge of getting logs & construction: John F. Gay, carpenter: Nicholas Smith, timekeeper. . . . — Map (db m148727) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 235 — Old Fort
Spanish Fork had its beginning in two sites, the upper settlement in 1850-51, located in the southeast river bottoms, the other at Palmyra, 1851. Fearful of Indian trouble, settlers built an adobe fort between the two places in 1854, located two . . . — Map (db m148740) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Old Palmyra
This monument marks the south-west corner of Fort Palmyra. This fort was built by the settlers for protection. Palmyra was selected in 1852 as a suitable place to build a city by Apostle Geo. A. Smith. The first home was built in August of that . . . — Map (db m148723) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 500 — Palmyra’s Early Buildings
Palmyra‘s First Amusement Hall To the north of the little one-room schoolhouse, the people of Palmyra began building the lumber Amusement Hall on February 10, 1900. It took exactly one month to complete the building, and a dance was held in . . . — Map (db m148720) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 83 — Pioneer Cemetery
Pioneers were buried here between 1851 and 1866 when this cemetery was abandoned, James Higinson was sexton. The bodies of those who remain here are Sarah Holt Tindral, John Hardison Redd, Elizabeth Hancock Redd, Mary Gardner Sweeten, Helen Whytock . . . — Map (db m148619) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 526 — Spanish Fork Grist Mills
Spanish Fork was settled in 1857. The first flour mill was built by Archibald Gardner in 1858-59. The water for the mill came from the Spanish Fork River. The stream was enlarged to give sufficient power to run the mill. This mill was constructed of . . . — Map (db m148763) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 557 — Spanish Fork Heritage Cemetery
Utah South Center Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers, in conjunction with the City of Spanish Fork, community donors, and volunteers have reclaimed and restored this hallowed ground in remembrance of the pioneers who persevered through uncommon . . . — Map (db m148620) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — The Lush Valley of the TimpanogotzisDominguez y Escalante Expedition — 1776 – 1976 —
On July 29, 1776, Fathers Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Valez de Escalante led an exploration party of ten horsemen from Sante Fe, New Mexico to establish an overland route to Monterey, California, while spreading the Catholic faith to . . . — Map (db m148739) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — 5 — The Spanish Fork Indian Farm Reservation
The Spanish Fork Indian Farm Reservation Comprising 20 square miles and extending from this state highway and the Spanish Fork River to Utah Lake, was set apart in 1854 by Brigham Young, Utah Supt. of U.S. Indian Affairs. Joseph E. Beck was . . . — Map (db m148765) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spanish Fork — Williams & Powell RanchHomesteaded 1885
Original homestead at this site by Simeon Comfort & Edith Hannah Cornaby Powell. Powell children: Edith Amelia P. "Sackett" Simeon James P. Hannah Caroline P. "Williams" Samuel March P. Alma J. P. William T. & Hannah C. P. . . . — Map (db m148617) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spring Lake — Black Hawk - Ute Indian Chief
When the Ute Indian Chief, Black Hawk died on September 27, 1870 near Spring Lake and was buried by his tribe in a nearby ravine, there was laid to rest a man designated by Brigham Young as "The most formidable foe amongst the Redman" that the . . . — Map (db m148894) HM
Utah (Utah County), Spring Lake — 390 — Spring Lake Villa
In 1859, James Pace and James Butler built large adobe home on this site, purchased by Joseph E. Johnson, 1861. He and brothers Benjamin F. and George W. operated many industries: drug stores, fruit-tree nursery, trunk factory, sorghum mill, . . . — Map (db m148896) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — Caffrey & Davis Furniture Company / Senior HotelUtah Historic Site
This building was constructed in 1890 as the retail furniture store of James Caffrey and Samuel Davis, partners in the firm Caffrey & Davis ( "Furniture, Carpets, and Wallpaper"), operating here until 1907, when it was purchased by Walter and . . . — Map (db m148668) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — 63 — First Mills in Utah County
In 1851, Jacob Houtz, James Porter, and Edward Hall built and operated a flour mill near here. Norton Jacobs, the first miller, made and installed the machinery. in 1860, Jacob Houtz and William Bringhurst built a woolen mill one third mile . . . — Map (db m148672) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — In Memory of Edwin Whiting Pioneer
In Memory of Edwin Whiting Pioneer Sept 9, 1809 - Dec 8 1890 Homesteaded this ranch 1871 — Map (db m62609) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — Nephi & Annie Kindred HouseUtah Historic Site
The Nephi and Annie Kindred House was constructed in 1896 by mason Andrew Berkley and carpenter Reuben Richardson. Nephi was a well-known blacksmith in Springville during the 1890s. He died however, before the house was completed. Annie sold the . . . — Map (db m148670) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — N-928 — Springville High School Art GalleryUtah Historic Site
Dedicated July 4, 1937, by LDS Church Apostle David O. McKay as a "sanctuary of beauty and a temple of mediation, " this edifice is one of over 230 public works building constructed in Utah under the New Deal programs during the Depression years. It . . . — Map (db m148667) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — N-363 — Springville Presbyterian ChurchUtah Historic Site
In 1877 the Rev. George Leonard established a Presbyterian Church and Mission School in Springville. In 1892-1893, this church was built just south of the Presbyterian Hungerford Academy, the only school then providing education from elementary . . . — Map (db m148669) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — 140 — Springville's First Camp Site
On September 18, 1850, the first pioneers arrived in Springville and camped on this lot. Covered with tall grasses and supplied with plenty of spring water, bordered on the east by lofty mountains, on the west by the sparkling waters of Utah Lake, . . . — Map (db m148671) HM
Utah (Utah County), Springville — 74 — The Kelly Ranch
Joseph and Elizabeth Potter Kelly, Springville Pioneers of 1852 homesteaded 160 acres in Hobble Creek Canyon which remained in the Kelly family for 79 years (three generations). This was an old Ute Indian camping ground, and here the Pioneer . . . — Map (db m148666) HM
Utah (Utah County), West Mountain — West Mountain
The first inhabitants of West Mountain were a band of ancient Fremont Indians from 300-1000 A.D. They recorded their existence on rock art near the north point. The first recorded Mormon settlers were George & Eliza Rust. Other settlers in the . . . — Map (db m148897) HM

112 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020