Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Vermilion Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Abbeville Marker (<b><i>French</b></i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, June 3, 2013
Abbeville Marker (French)
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Abbeville
Formerly La Chapelle. Founded in 1843 by Father Antoine Desire Megret, a native of Abbeville, France, on land purchased from Joseph LeBlanc. City incorporated by state, 1850. Became parish seat of Vermillion, 1845. Home of Louisiana Dairy . . . — Map (db m100657) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Bancker
Bancker was once a thriving community consisting of four large plantations. This area was originally settled by Acadians, as well as families of Spanish, German and Danish descent. William Cade donated property along the Vermilion River for the . . . — Map (db m106268) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Bancker Ferry
For years the Vermilion River provided the main means of transportation. Two ferries served as a link across the river. The Bancker Ferry was located on this site. — Map (db m106269) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Bancker Plantations
Four plantations once thrived near Bancker. Hope Mill and Gertrude were west of the river. Live Oak and Cade were on the east side. Only Live Oak remains. — Map (db m106272) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Est. 1885 St. Mary Congregational Church
Believed to be the first school in Vermilion Parish to educate freed southern slaves. Pastored by Rev. James A. Herod, the Father of African American education in Vermilion Parish. — Map (db m104916) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Louisiana Story
In 1945, renowned documentary filmmaker Robert Flaherty was commissioned by the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey to make a film as part of a public relations project. Flaherty directed filming of Louisiana Story on location at Avery . . . — Map (db m105025) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Old Catholic Cemetery
English Translation On July 25, 1843 Père Antoine Désiré Mégret purchased 160 arpents from Joseph LeBlanc for a church, rectory and cemetery. Joseph LeBlanc was buried here in 1854. The oldest marked grave is of Eufemie Broussard 1852. . . . — Map (db m106277) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church
Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church was built on this spot in 1897. The church was destroyed by a storm in 1909. Funds which were low due to crop failure delayed reconstruction for 3 years. — Map (db m106270) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Pére Antoine Desiré Mégret1797 - 1853 — Founder of Abbeville
English Side

Père Antoine Desiré Megrét born in France on May 23, 1797 arrived in Louisiana in 1842 and was sent to Vermilionville (now Lafayette) as pastor of St. John's Parish. In 1843 he purchased from Joseph LeBlanc one hundred sixty . . . — Map (db m106263) HM

Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — Saint Mary Magdalen Church
Saint Mary Magdalen ChurchFour churches dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalen have stood on this site purchased from Joseph LeBlanc by Père Mègret in 1843. The present church was built in 1911 under the pastorate of Père Laforest. . . . — Map (db m26140) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Abbeville — The Old Masonic Cemetery1869---1905
On this site was the first of our city's three Masonic cemeteries & served Masons and Protestants alike. It has been virtually unused since 1905, although the latest tombstone reads 1954. The earliest recorded death was 1868. A.G. Maxwell donated . . . — Map (db m104915) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Delcambre — Bayou Carlin CovePort of Delcambre — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
The Port of Delcambre is an important hub for seafood processing and shipping. It is situated within a rich system of coastal wetlands and web of waterways that connect to the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico.

Delcambre is a small . . . — Map (db m118635) HM

Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Erath — Acadian Prairie Settlement
Due to abundant timber and a salt dome that had the area’s only dependable spring, Acadians obtained lands near Erath c. 1781. Thus the first southern prairie Acadian settlement was established. It was known as “The Spring.” — Map (db m101648) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Erath — The Erath Sugar Company
Donated by The Erath Sugar Co. Erath Sugar Refinery was built in the year 1910. In the year 1914 the Earth Sugar Company, LTD. acquired this bell from the Rose Hill refinery and was used to summon canefield workers. Dedicated to the . . . — Map (db m101649) HM
Louisiana (Vermilion Parish), Maurice — St. Alphonsus Church
"La Chapelle à Maurice" was built on the ten acres donated in 1889 by Jean-Maurice Villien and his wife, Marie Chaty, from the provinces of Savoie and Lorraine, France, respectively. Father Alphonse LeQuilleuc was the first pastor. Maurice, La. . . . — Map (db m26137) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.