A famous Indian village at the junction of Brokenstraw Creek and the Allegheny, visited by Celoron in 1749 and destroyed by Brodhead in 1779. Burial mounds excavated here indicate the antiquity of this site. — — Map (db m59088) HM
Surveyed Donation Lands in this area in 1785. Later bought a large tract of land, developed by his son Callender and grandson, Doctor William Irvine. One of the tenant houses of the estate stands opposite. — — Map (db m59089) HM
An advance party of Brodhead's expedition of 1779 into the Seneca country had a skirmish here with 30 or 40 Indians, the only fighting which took place in that campaign, and the only Revolutionary battle in northwestern Pennsylvania. — — Map (db m50507) HM
Length of Dam.......................1,897'
Maximum Height of Dam........179'
Earthfill, in Cubic Yards..3,000,000
Concrete, in Cubic Yards...500,000
Penstocks, Diameter in Ft.........19'
(Pipes Though Dam)
204Ft. . . . — — Map (db m77776) HM
The Allegheny River rises from a spring in Potter County in north central Pennsylvania, 130 miles upstream of the Kinzua Dam, flowing northwest into New York then southwest into Pennsylvania again. The Iroquois and Shawnee Indians who lived along . . . — — Map (db m77842) HM
Lawyer & jurist. Chief U.S. prosecutor, Nuremberg war crimes trials in Germany after World War II. Associate Justice, U.S. Supreme Court, 1941-54; noted for his defense of civil liberties. Served in President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration . . . — — Map (db m64968) HM
A tiny piece of the past
When the first European settlers came to this area of Pennsylvania, they encountered dense stands of huge timber. They cleared areas in these forests for their farms and used trees for building their homes. During . . . — — Map (db m125098) HM
At oil spring across river at this point J. L. Grandin began second well drilled specifically for oil, August, 1859, after Drake's success. It was dry, showing risks involved in oil drilling. — — Map (db m39889) HM
In 1749 a French force under Celoron de Blainville entered the Ohio valley by way of Chautauqua Lake and Conewango Creek. A lead plate was buried at the mouth of the Conewango claiming the area for France. — — Map (db m59091) HM
Mid-18th century Seneca village located on site of present Warren. First mentioned by Bonnecamps, in 1749, as composed of 12 or 13 cabins. Name in Iroquois means "below the riffles." — — Map (db m59123) HM
Native Americans, French explorers, and Revolutionary War soldiers all used this 8-mile cross-country portage to access the upper reaches of the Allegheny River from Conewango Creek. This historic trail provided travelers with a preferable . . . — — Map (db m59126) HM
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny and Lycoming counties. Named for General Joseph Warren, killed at Bunker Hill. Warren, the county seat, was laid out in 1795. Long known for its oil and timber operations, and site of the Cornplanter Indian Grant. — — Map (db m59128) HM
Construction of the suspension bridge on this site began in the early summer of 1871 and the bridge opened for use in November that year. The total cost for the structure was nearly $45,000 and tolls were collected for about 25 years. Workmen are . . . — — Map (db m83703) HM
Sons of Darius, came from the Mead Settlement, now Meadville, Pennsylvania into the wilderness of the Brokenstraw Valley. One mile west on the banks of the Brokenstraw Creek they built the first grist mill in Warren County. These mill stones are the . . . — — Map (db m96052) HM