Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Washington County Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
Washington County Marker (reverse)
Alabama (Washington County), Chatom — Washington CountyFirst County in Alabama
Created in 1800 by proclamation of governor of Mississippi Territory. This was first U.S. civil government in area that was to become Alabama. Its original boundaries: East to west: Chattahoochee to Pearl River; South, 31° lat. . . . — Map (db m122343) HM
Alabama (Washington County), Chatom — Washington County Confederate Memorial... Lest We Forget 1861 – 1865 — Our Confederate Ancestors
Dedicated to the memory and honor of all the men who served in the Confederate States Armies from Washington County For these were men Whom power could not corrupt Whom death could not terrify Whom defeat could not dishonor. . . . — Map (db m122738) WM
Alabama (Washington County), Chatom — Washington County Courthouse
The Washington County Courthouse as it was built in 1908. It was razed in 1963. This memorial cornerstone was placed by the Washington County Historical Society and the Washington County Museum. — Map (db m122737) HM
Alabama (Washington County), Chatom — Washington County Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m122742) WM
Alabama (Washington County), Leroy — The Taylor House
(side 1) Built circa 1841 by Walter Taylor on Commerce Street in Jackson. In 1985, it was removed from its original site to make way for a new City Hall Complex and was brought to this site and restored as the Leroy Branch of the Washington . . . — Map (db m70598) HM
Alabama (Washington County), McIntosh — Andrews Chapel
Andrews Chapel, also known as the McIntosh Log Church, is one of the few remaining log churches in Alabama. In 1860, John C. Rush and his wife donated land for the church to the McIntosh Community. Shortly afterwards, the church was constructed and . . . — Map (db m70594) HM
Alabama (Washington County), McIntosh — Town of McIntosh
(side 1) McIntosh has a community population of about 300. The town was incorporated on April 7, 1970, becoming the third incorporated town in Washington County. The following officials were elected to serve four year terms: Mayor Carrol . . . — Map (db m70596) HM
Alabama (Washington County), St. Stephens — Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 (1821-1834)/St. Stephens Lodge No. 81
Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 (1821-1834) CHARTER AND EARLY MEMBERS WERE: Gov. Israel Pickens, Col. Silas Dinsmore, Thomas Eastin, R. Chamberlain, Thomas Malone, J.F. Ross, Daniel Coleman, John Womack, W.D. . . . — Map (db m70599) HM
Alabama (Washington County), Wagarville — Bassetts Creek
Named for Thomas Bassett, a British Loyalist and native of Virginia. Migrated to Tombigbee area from near Augusta, Ga. circa 1772 to escape persecution by American patriots. Received in 1776, from King George III, a grant of 750 acres on the west . . . — Map (db m122336) HM
Alabama (Washington County), Wagarville — The Sullivan Cabin
The Sullivan Cabin was built on the east side of Bassett Creek, in 1874 by Gibeon Jefferson Sullivan, a Confederate soldier who served in Co. A. 32nd Ala Infantry, an all-volunteer company made up of men from Washington County. The cabin is a . . . — Map (db m122341) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.