Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County New York Historical Markers

 
Allen Cabin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Virginia McGreevy, August 16, 2012
Allen Cabin Marker
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Allen Cabin
The log cabin where all six of the Allen family and three slaves were killed, July 26,1777 by Leloup and his Indians was north of here. — Map (db m58513) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Kilmer Mill
Built short distance West of here before Revolution. First settlement in Argyle Village and first grist mill within forty miles. — Map (db m58533) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — South Argyle United Presbyterian Church1785 - 1935
First Pastor Rev. Thomas Beveredge First Elders John McNeil John McKnight William Reid First Trustees Casper Bain William Robertson Robert Robertson David McKnight John Reid John Harsha Building is situated on the 160 acres deeded to the above . . . — Map (db m58529) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — The Family of John Allen
Nine persons were massacred about 100 yards east of here by a band of Indians attached to Burgoyne's army July 25,1777. The Cairn marks their burial place. — Map (db m58512) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge
Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge Rehabilitated in 2004.Built Circa 1850 to Replace A Previous Bridge Built in 1804. This Crossing Served The Great Northern Turnpike Beginning In 1799. — Map (db m13751) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Checkered House
Site of the Checkered House built by James Cowden 1765. Baum's headquarters Aug. 13,1777 Continental hospital Aug.18,1777 — Map (db m58514) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Continental RoadDi- On- On- Da- Wa- Ha Trail
Col. Baum's route from Ft. Miller to Bennington August 14,1777 — Map (db m58515) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — First Church in Cambridge Patent
Site of first church in Cambridge Patent Building started 1775 interrupted by Revolution Completed 1783 — Map (db m58517) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Great Northern War Trailc. 1650-1700
Over which Indians led New England captives to Canada during Indian Wars. — Map (db m88579) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Old TurnpikeGrave- Yard 1756
Buried here are 40 Revolutionary soldiers and veterans of other wars. — Map (db m58518) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Site of Skirmish
Site of Skirmish between Hessian troops and Cambridge settlers. Several patriots were taken prisoners, Aug. 15, 1777 — Map (db m58521) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Whiteside Church
Erected 1800 by community. Whiteside families Large Conors. Rebuilt 1825 — Map (db m58526) HM
New York (Washington County), Eagle Bridge — Homestead of Grandma Moses
Homestead of Grandma Moses Anna Mary Robertson Moses 1860 - 1961 World Renowned Painter of Rural Life — Map (db m37188) HM
New York (Washington County), Easton — Friends Log Meeting House
Surrounded by Burgoyne's Indian allies in 1777 but finding Friends unarmed stacked arms and attended meeting peaceably. — Map (db m58511) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Fort Anne First Baptist Church
Site of the First Baptist Church of Fort Anne Village. Erected 1874, destroyed by fire 1955. This fragment of the bell which rang also as the town clock bears date of purchase. — Map (db m19854) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Great Indian Warpath
Lake Champlain to Hudson River 1609 - 1777 — Map (db m58177) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Old Powder House Fort Ann
Old Powder House used during French and Indian Wars and Revolutionary War. — Map (db m58088) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Battle Hill
At this pass was fought the Battle of Fort Anne July 8 – 1777 Here Burgoyne was first checked in his victorious march by a fierce all day battle with the Americans which delayed the British and made possible their defeat at Saratoga. . . . — Map (db m89662) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Fort Anne"Gateway to North"
Here stood five forts 1680 – 1777 on route between Lake Champlain & Hudson River. — Map (db m59959) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Half-Way Creek
Used in French and Indian & Revolutionary Wars for transport of supplies. — Map (db m58086) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Old Stone House Library
The Old Stone House Library has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89708) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Old Well
Used in Fort site. Built before the Revolutionary War by Queen Anne of England. — Map (db m58087) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Duer House
¼ M. → Duer House British Headquarters Aug. 14 – Sept. 10, 1777 — Map (db m56876) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Edward1755
Great Carrying Place Fort Nicholson 1709 Fort Lydius 1731 Fort Lyman 1755 — Map (db m9270) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Miller
On the opposite side of the river Fort Miller built during French and Indian War. — Map (db m9297) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — NY-11½ — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9785) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — NY-11 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of . . . — Map (db m56843) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Schuyler's Intrenchments
Headquarters of American Army after evacuation of Fort Edward July 1777 — Map (db m58077) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783. General George Washington was in the township of Kingsbury, while on a tour of northern battlefields. — Map (db m9342) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783, General George Washington was a guest here at Sherwood’s House or Tavern, while on a tour of area battlefields. — Map (db m9348) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCrea
Killed on 27 July 1777, a short distance to the south of this spot. Her death helped to defeat General Burgoyne at Saratoga. — Map (db m9235) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCrea
← Original burial place of Jane McCrea July 28, 1777 — Map (db m19743) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Judge William Duer
→ Site of home Judge William Duer statesman and patriot — Map (db m56878) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Memorial to Jane McCrea
Memorial to Jane McCrea massacred near this spot by the Indians July 27, 1777. Erected by the Jane McCrea Chapter, D.A.R. 1901 — Map (db m9237) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Northeast Bastion
Near here was Northeast Bastion part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9271) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Fort Edward
This boulder marks the site of Old Fort Edward 1755 – 1780 Erected by the Jane McCrea Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1914 — Map (db m9266) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Fort House Museum
This 1772 residence hosted Generals Schuyler, Washington, and Arnold. It also served as a courthouse and a tavern. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m11762) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Military Road
Below here Old Military Road ran diagonally up this hill 1755 – 1777 — Map (db m15693) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Moat
Remains of Old Moat part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9346) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Progenitors of Independence
This monument is dedicated to the members of the British expeditionary forces stationed at Fort Edward and Rogers Island during the French and Indian Wars. 1755 - 1763 -Progenitors of Independence- — Map (db m17793) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island
Bivouac Area Major Robert Rogers and his ten Ranger Companies during the French and Indian Wars 1755 - 1759 Site of Fort Nicholson           1709 Fort Lydius                 1731 Fort Lyman           . . . — Map (db m17776) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Sixteen Soldiers
This monument is erected to commemorate the sacrifice of the lives of Sixteen Soldiers who were massacred July, 1758, by a band of hostile Indians in the park which was then only a path in the wilderness. The sixteen soldiers, with a teamster, a . . . — Map (db m9341) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Smyth House
Erected by Patrick Smyth about 1767 of timber taken from Fort Edward. The first tavern and scene of the first court in Charlotte County. Headquarters of Schuyler – Arnold – Burgoyne – Stark – 1777. Oldest house in . . . — Map (db m9357) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea
The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea are just within and to the left of this gateway. — Map (db m9343) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Island
Barracks     Hospital Brick – kiln 1755 — Map (db m19856) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Patt Smyth House
Fort Edward lay on the shipping route between New York City and Canada via the Hudson River and Lakes George and Champlain. The British colonial government fortified it in 1755 during the French and Indian War. Patt Smyth came to oversee the fort in . . . — Map (db m11764) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Breastworks of General Fellows
Facing Burgoyne's camp across the River — Map (db m58510) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — British Army Camp
Site of British Army camp before crossing Hudson. Later occupied by General Fellows' Continentals — Map (db m58082) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Captain Furnival's Battery
Site of Captain Furnival's Battery Commanding Marshall house and river crossing. N.Y. State Historical marker 1927 — Map (db m58084) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Gen. Washington
In the summer of 1783, General George Washington was in the township of Greenwich, while on a tour of northern battlefields. — Map (db m19742) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Position of Burgoyne's Bridge
Position of Burgoyne's bridge of boats on which he crossed the Hudson — Map (db m58081) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — World War I and II and Korean Conflict Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Thompson who served their country in two World Wars (List of people that served)

Korean Conflict (List of people that served) — Map (db m58085) WM

New York (Washington County), Hartford — Civil War Enlistment Center
65 of 134 Civil War Veterans enlisted here in Co. E 123 Regt. N.Y.S. Vol. Aug. 22, 1862 — Map (db m63515) HM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Clinton Gift
Gov. Clinton gave this land to Baptist Society, 1798. Log Meeting House, 1788, stood 50 feet to the south, church erected here, 1805. — Map (db m63514) HM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Site of Old Mills
I. Norton built dam 1814 Downs Clothing Works Woodell Starch Mill 1866 Daicy Cabinet Works 1870 Higby Tannery below 1818 — Map (db m61515) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Four Mile Post
A small fort was built near here in the 1750's, known as the Four Mile Post as it was four miles from Fort Edward. — Map (db m63513) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — NY-10 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9783) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Gov. N. Pitcher
Home site of New York State Gov. Nathaniel Pitcher 1828 Town Supervisor 1806 – 1810 Born 1777. Died 1838. — Map (db m15688) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Headquarters
Lt. Gen. John Burgoyne used this house as British army headquarters, July 1777, before his surrender at Saratoga, Oct. 17, 1777. — Map (db m18105) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Hon. Silas Wright
During his youth Silas Wright came to Sandy Hill, now Hudson Falls, to learn to be a lawyer, serving his clerkship in this small building. This was the law office of Hon. Henry C. Martindale, a judge of the Court of Common Pleas and a Member of . . . — Map (db m56907) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Sandy Hill1810 - 1910
Name of this village until changed to Hudson Falls, 1910. The name Sandy Hill first used ca. 1792. — Map (db m16602) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Washington County Civil War Monument
This monument is presented by Dr. Erskine G. Clark to the Village of Sandy HillDedicated to the honor and patriotism of the soldiers of Washington County who served in our war to suppress the southern rebellion of 1861, waged against the life of the . . . — Map (db m56913) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — World War II Memorial
Dedicated in honor of those who served their country during World War II from the Town of Kingsbury and the Village of Hudson Falls and in reverent memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice that we the living might remain free. December 7, 1941 . . . — Map (db m56910) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Burgoyne's Army
Marched through this hamlet in July 1777 to a camp site at the Jones farm 3 miles to the west of the park. — Map (db m58079) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Kingsbury Street
The first settler of this neighborhood was Oliver Colvin, who came here in 1766, and was the second pioneer of the Town of Kingsbury. At one time there were two churches, a school, Post Office, several taverns, hotels, stores, and mills located in . . . — Map (db m61653) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Patten's Mills Cemeteryor Harris Cemetery
The first burial here is believed to be John Jones, who was the first settler of the Town of Kingsbury to pass away here, 1772. There are veterans of the Revolutionary War and Civil War, buried in this cemetery. Maintained by the Town of . . . — Map (db m61655) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Smith's Basin
Named for Ezekiel Smith, c. 1825. He and his brother Israel operated a store and tavern in the hamlet. At one time there were several hotels, stores, a school, Post Office, a church and railroad station in the neighborhood. There was a canal boat . . . — Map (db m61659) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Underground Railway Marker
This stone chair was placed a few yards from this spot in 1841. Who placed it here and why is unknown. However, it may have been a guide post for the Underground Railway. The drawings below were carved on the back of the chair. — Map (db m61649) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Vaughn's Corners
Named for William Vaughn, who opened a store and tavern at the corners around 1800. Until the late 1830's a Post Office was located here. A masonic Lodge was held at the corners, starting in 1820, in the home of Salmasius Bardwell. — Map (db m61658) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Home and Laboratory of Dr. Asa Fitch, Jr.1809-1879
First State entomologist, 1854-71. Pioneer in study of crop pests and their control. — Map (db m62954) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Lest We Forget
1776-1918 Dedicated to the memory of all men of Salem New York who in devoted patriotism gave their total service to their country during time of war and to those who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty and humanity. — Map (db m58524) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Old White Church
United Presbyterian Church organized by Ballibay Ireland July 23,1751 Rev Thomas Clark M.D. and his congregation immigrated to America in 1764 and settled in Salem and erected a log church in 1766 the first Protestant church in New York State . . . — Map (db m58523) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Revolutionary Cemetery
More Revolutionary soldiers are buried here than in any other cemetery in Washington County — Map (db m58530) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Rexleigh Covered Bridge
Rehabilitated in 2007. The Rexleigh bridge is a Howe Truss with cast iron shoes built in 1874. This is the third bridge on this site. — Map (db m58531) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — The White Creek Fort
Erected as a Presbyterian Church in 1774 and converted to a fort early in the Revolution, Garrisoned by Charlotte County Militia under command of Col Joseph McCracken, it was starting point of many raids on the supply lines of Gen. Burgoyne during . . . — Map (db m58527) HM
New York (Washington County), South Hartford — Brown's Tavern
Erected 1802 by Caleb Brown — Map (db m61514) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Birthplace of the United States Navy
Arnold’s Valcour fleet built in the summer of 1776, in Skenesborough Harbor, now Whitehall. — Map (db m89666) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Birthplace of the United States Navy
On October 11, 1776 at Valcour Island, off the western shore of Lake Champlain, a naval battle took place that may well have decided the fate of the American Revolution. Although they fought valiantly, the Americans lost the battle. However, they . . . — Map (db m89709) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Early British Cannon
Placed on board vessels of B. Arnold’s Lake Champlain fleet, both were blown up in Whitehall Harbor by their crews July 6, 1777, to avoid capture by the British. — Map (db m89670) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Lakes to Locks PassageThe Great Northeast Journey

Panel 1

Lakes to Locks Passage takes you through a spectacular landscape laden with history. Follow this map to find your way through four story-filled regions that connect the historic waters of Lake Champlain and Lake George . . . — Map (db m109524) HM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Skene’s Mills
In this vicinity at Wood Creek Falls, stood the Skenesborough Mills used to saw plank for Benedict Arnold’s 1776 Valcour fleet. — Map (db m89669) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Skenesborough Museum
In 1775, Skenesborough was captured by American forces in the first aggressive action in New York. Benedict Arnold built his fleet for Lake Champlain here in 1776. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m89667) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — The Champlain Canal

Throughout history the corridor along Lake Champlain and the Hudson River has been a transportation route of significant strategic and commercial importance. In pre-colonial times it was an important Native American trail. After the arrival of . . . — Map (db m109349) HM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Traveling Along the Canal
The completion of the Champlain Canal in 1823 transformed Whitehall from a minor port at the head of Lake Champlain into a bustling transshipment point for goods destined for Troy, Albany, New York City, Buffalo and the West. Lumberyards, icehouses . . . — Map (db m89796) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — U.S.S. Ticonderoga
Steamer laid at Vergennes Converted to warsloop MacDonough’s flagship 1814 Battle of Plattsburgh Sunk East Bay – Raised 1958 — Map (db m89671) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Veterans MemorialWhitehall, New York — Birthplace of the U.S. Navy

We will never forget our Veterans who answered the world's call for freedom

[Honor Rolls]

Dedicated May 25, 1992 — Map (db m109355) WM

New York (Washington County), Whitehall — WhitehallGateway to the NYS Canal System
Philip Skene founded Whitehall, originally known as Skenesborough, in 1759. He was lured here by the availability of hydropower for mills provided by the falls on Wood Creek. The magic word for Skenesborough’s existence is transportation, due to . . . — Map (db m89815) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — Whitehall Harbor
With the British in pursuit three vessels of B. Arnold’s Lake Champlain fleet were blown up in this harbor by American forces July 6, 1777 to avoid being captured. — Map (db m89668) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — William Miller Chapel
Built in 1848 by Adventist founder William Miller. This chapel was placed on National Register, ca. 1975 — Map (db m58227) HM
New York (Washington County), Whitehall — World War Memorial

In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of those who served 1917 • World War • 1918 — Map (db m109357) WM


91 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.