The Grand, Neo-classical Revival style building that you see across Georgia Avenue north of Missouri opened in 1925 as the Bank of Brightwood, thanks to efforts of the Brightwood Citizens Association. Designed by Treasury Department architect . . . — — Map (db m72818) HM
English, Irish and German settlers, as well as enslaved and free African Americans, were the first non-natives to claim Brightwood. Farmers dominated until the Civil War. Then in the 1890s electric streetcars allowed government workers to live . . . — — Map (db m121018) HM
The Jones Haywood School of Ballet was founded here by Doris W. Jones and Claire H. Haywood in 1941. Their Capitol Ballet Company, established in 1961, remained the nation's only predominantly African American, professional ballet troupe through . . . — — Map (db m65511) HM
The City Park across the street was once Emery Place, the summer estate of Matthew Gault Emery.
A prominent builder, Emery was Washington City's last elected mayor during the period of home rule. He was succeeded in 1874 by a presidentially . . . — — Map (db m72816) HM
Its the summer of 1862. Early morning, but already hot and dusty. Youre standing at this spot, when you see a tall man on horseback. Its President Abraham Lincoln. Youre pleased to see him, but not surprised. After all, he rides by here . . . — — Map (db m52973) HM
Fresh Water Springs in this pleasant high ground once drew European settlers. Farmers called the area "Crystal Spring." In 1859 the half-mile Crystal Spring Racetrack opened on land to your left. For 75 cents, Washingtonians hopped a stagecoach . . . — — Map (db m109288) HM
The facade of the original house for Engine Company 24 was located at 3702 Georgia Avenue, N.W. just north of this site. Built in 1911, the firehouse was designed by Luther Leisenring and Charles Gregg. It originally housed horses and horse-drawn . . . — — Map (db m65515) HM
By the 1890s the Rock Creek Railway Company's new electric streetcars made it easy to commute across town. The "country" settlements of this area became "suburban." One streetcar line followed 18th to Calvert Street, passed here, and then . . . — — Map (db m112593) HM
Painted in 1977, A People Without Murals Is A Demuralized People is the oldest and only mural remaining in Adams Morgan created by a group of Latino immigrant artists. It was brought back to life in 2005 by Sol & Soul, a D.C. . . . — — Map (db m112851) HM
Three dramatic religious structures dominate this corner. They are among some 40 religious institutions lining 16th Street between the White House and the Maryland state line.
Many serve as unofficial “embassies” representing . . . — — Map (db m17076) HM
In 2013, Howard University archaeologists, working with concerned citizens, completed a seven-year survey of Walter C. Pierce Community Park. Their goal: to identify and protect two 19th Century cemeteries--the Colored Union Benevolent . . . — — Map (db m112588) HM WM
Across the street you can see the Marie H. Reed Community Learning Center. It opened in 1977 on the former sites of Morgan Community School and Happy Hollow Playground.
Both the Adams and Morgan elementary schools became "community schools" . . . — — Map (db m109113) HM
Calvin T.S. Brent (1854-1899), believed to be Washington's first African American architect, lived here briefly in the early 1890s. (His other residences have been demolished.) Brent began practicing in 1875 and after a two-year apprenticeship and . . . — — Map (db m129528) HM
You are standing in front of the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania.
The Spanish Baroque style mansion is all that remains of what was once a duplex, or double, embassy building designed by George Oakley Totten for Mary Foote Henderson's . . . — — Map (db m82711) HM
You are now standing in front of the longest-serving embassy building among Washington DC's more than 180 diplomatic missions: the Embassy of the Republic of Poland. Renowned architect George Oakley Totten designed the building for Mary Foote . . . — — Map (db m83344) HM
Banker Archibald McLachlen and Smithsonian Institution naturalist George Brown Goode developed Lanier Heights in the early 1890s. Goode laid out streets and encouraged Smithsonian colleagues to purchase lots. McLachlan built the elegant Ontario . . . — — Map (db m17295) HM
During the Civil War (1861-1865), the Union Army Carver Hospital and barracks occupied Meridian Hill. The facilities attracted African American freedom seekers looking for protection and employment. By wars end, a Black community had put down . . . — — Map (db m17032) HM
Since 1924 this mansion has housed representatives of the Republic of Lithuania, even during the 50 years when the country was occupied by the Soviet Union.
In the late 1700s, the Russian Empire annexed Lithuania's territory, ending the . . . — — Map (db m82751) HM
Long before Europeans arrived, Meridian Hill was a sacred place for Native Americans. As recently as 1992, a delegation of Native Americans walked across the continent to this park to mourn the 500th anniversary of Columbuss arrival. They were . . . — — Map (db m130706) HM
As you look up the hill, you can see Peter C. LEnfants 1791 plan for Washington ended up here in front of you at Boundary Avenue, now Florida Avenue. Back then, when people walked or rode in horse-drawn vehicles, it was hard to climb this steep . . . — — Map (db m130707) HM
When Poland declared its independence in 1918 after 123 years or foreign partition, the first prime minister of independent Poland — Ignacy Jan Paderewski — sent Prince Kazimierz Lubomirski to Washington as the country's first . . . — — Map (db m82636) HM
On March 30, 1981, President Ronald Reagan marked the 100th visit to Washington Hilton by a sitting U.S. President. Reagan had been invited to speak in the International Ballroom at a meeting of the North America's Building Trades Unions. Upon . . . — — Map (db m93218) HM
Furs by Gartenhaus and truffles by Avignon Freres. Hand-crafted ice cream from Budd's. Beginning in the 1910s, such neighborhood favorites occupied the commercial buildings to your right developed by Sanner and Barr. These fashionable shops . . . — — Map (db m112597) HM WM
"I knew him when he was drafted for the war, and I knew him when he came back ... He had a soldier's clothes on when he came back, with a gun, canteen, knap sack and blanket."-- Lloyd Mudd, testifying to U.S. Pension officials . . . — — Map (db m112866) HM WM
The lively scene around you began with an arts movement in the 1950s. Musicians, dancers, and artists found centrally located 18th Street attractive as declining rents made it affordable.
Early on, jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd brought fame to . . . — — Map (db m109111) HM
This is the heart of Washingtons Latino community. Once centered here and in nearby Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, the community now extends throughout the region.
As early as the 1910s, the Mexican, Ecuadoran, Cuban, and Spanish . . . — — Map (db m17167) HM
Celebration Through Preservation
This building was the site of Washington's Ontario Theatre, a local cinema that played a notable part in the area's history. Accomplished theater architect John J. Zink, best known . . . — — Map (db m114770) HM
In 1947, the building on your left opened as the National Arena, a public roller rink and bowling alley. It also hosted professional wrestling, roller derbies, and rock concerts. In 1986 it became the Citadel Motion Picture Center, where . . . — — Map (db m17031) HM
Before there was "Adams Morgan," this crossroads lent the neighborhood its name: "18th and Columbia." Here you could catch a streetcar to just about anywhere and buy nearly anything.
But back in 1922, 18th and Columbia witnessed a tragedy. . . . — — Map (db m112596) HM
The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress.
During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the government, . . . — — Map (db m111904) HM
The Rock Creek Valley, once home to Native Americans, had attracted European settlers by 1703. Before he became president in 1825, John Quincy Adams purchased Adams Mills on Rock Creek from his cousin. The mills, just down the hill, processed flour . . . — — Map (db m130713) HM
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — — Map (db m129487) HM
Episcopalians first gathered here to worship in 1874, when St. Alban's Church, located on Wisconsin Avenue and Massachusetts, started a mission for the area. In good weather, services took place under a majestic oak tree on land donated by . . . — — Map (db m130927) HM
Beyond Ward Circle to your left is the campus of American University, chartered by
Congress in 1893. Methodist Bishop John Fletcher Hurst guided the universitys development as a center for training future public servants. With its schools in . . . — — Map (db m130932) HM
Suburban shopping arrived in Tenleytown when Sears, Roebuck & Co. erected a Moderne style store here in 1941. The sleek faηade demonstrated the latest in department store design.
Sears was the second Tenleytown business — after Giant . . . — — Map (db m130918) HM
One of the oldest churches in Tenleytown is the Eldbrooke United Methodist Church located on River Road. This church was founded in 1840 as the Mount Zion Methodist Church. Some of Tenleytown's earliest inhabitants are buried in The Methodist . . . — — Map (db m112176) HM
In the 1700s and 1800s Tenleytown's origin as a crossroad generated numerous commercial activities, such as tobacco trade, farms, dairies, and slaughterhouses, along with the "Tennallytown" Tavern. Murdock Mill Road led from Tenleytown to an early . . . — — Map (db m112178) HM
As an early country village, Tenleytown inhabitants held occupations such as farmers, millers, tavern owners and shopkeepers. Since horses provided the primary method of transportation until the early 1900s, blacksmithing was a popular occupation in . . . — — Map (db m112179) HM
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Childrens Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van
Ness and President Madisons wife Dolley. . . . — — Map (db m130930) HM
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865. No visible evidence remains of Fort Bayard, which stood at the top of this hill. Named for Brig. Gen. George Bayard, mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. — — Map (db m124) HM
Son of Massachusetts Graduate of Harvard College Judge and legislator Delegate 1780–1781 to the Continental Congress Soldier of three wars First commander of patriot forces. — — Map (db m48362) HM
“Tenley Tower,” behind you, dates from the mid-1940s. Western Union Telegraph Co. built it as part of an experimental system using microwaves to transmit telegrams in the mid-Atlantic region. This new technology helped erase . . . — — Map (db m130925) HM
When NBC radio and television and its local affiliate,
WRC, moved to these new headquarters in 1958, the average TV screen measured 12 inches. The facility opened with six studios—three TV and three radio. Soon history happened here.
. . . — — Map (db m47866) HM
In the 1930s city engineers created Tenley Circle where commuters heading
cross-town or downtown changed streetcars. Across the street and to the left of Tenley Circle, a surviving strip of historic Grant Road meets Wisconsin Avenue. In the . . . — — Map (db m130929) HM
You are standing on the west side of Mt. Airy, a subdivision spanning Wisconsin Avenue laid out in the late 1890s. Mt. Airy evolved into a dense, working-class neighborhood, where policemen and dairymen lived in modest houses.
Among them . . . — — Map (db m130926) HM
The brick building across the street opened in 1928 as the Convent of Bon Secours (literally, “good help”). The convents sisters had arrived in Baltimore from France in 1881. In Baltimore they quietly nursed both wealthy and needy . . . — — Map (db m130928) HM
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska
Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers . . . — — Map (db m130931) HM
Across the street is the former Carver Theatre, built in 1948 as the first nonsegregated movie house in Southeast Washington. It closed in 1957 becoming, in turn, a roller rink, a church, and a funeral parlor.
Then a decade later, a museum . . . — — Map (db m100824) HM
Follow Good Hope Road under the highway to your left to reach Anacostia Park, a longtime neighborhood oasis.
In 1914, after years of citizen requests, Congress directed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to "improve" the Anacostia River by . . . — — Map (db m112937) HM
In 1867 the U.S. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Freedmens Bureau) purchased 375 acres from white farmers David and Julia Barry to resettle formerly enslaved African Americans. By 1870 more than 500 families had purchased lots . . . — — Map (db m113607) HM
Earthworks of Battery Ricketts are visible inside the wooded area in front of you. Battery Ricketts, built to defend an area in front of Fort Stanton, was named for Maj. Gen. James B. Ricketts. — — Map (db m10622) HM
The Handsome Italian Renaissance Building. across the street opened as James G. Birney Elementary School in 1901. Its wood-frame predecessor, the original 1889 Birney School, was the first school built with public funds for African American . . . — — Map (db m100669) HM
Late On The Night Of April 14, 1865, a guard at the other end of the Navy Yard Bridge allowed a young man on horseback to cross, despite a wartime curfew. Unbeknownst to the guard, the rider, John Wilkes Booth, had just shot President Abraham . . . — — Map (db m100715) HM
Across the street is the former 11th Precinct Police Station. In 1993 it became the Max Robinson Center for Health and Living, providing services for people with HIV/AIDS.
Whether by design or by accident, in 1910 the city built . . . — — Map (db m100763) HM
Anacostia's Ketcham School (across Good Hope Road) opened in 1908 to serve white elementary school children. For junior and senior high school, whites crossed the river until 1935, when Anacostia Junior-Senior High School opened at 16th and R . . . — — Map (db m112790) HM
You are standing at the main crossroads of Barry Farm, a post-Civil War (1861-1865) village settled by the formerly enslaved. Some Barry Farm-era churches still serve the neighborhood.
Macedonia Baptist Church, about a block to your left . . . — — Map (db m100825) HM
Earthworks of Fort Carroll are visible 100 yards to the right at the top of the hill. Fort Carroll was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Samuel Sprigg Carroll, a West Point graduate from the District of Columbia. — — Map (db m10614) HM
Earthworks of Fort Greble are visible beyond this exhibit. Fort Greble was named in honor of Lt. John T. Greble, slain at the Battle of Big Bethel, June 10, 1861, the first U.S. Military Academy graduate killed in the Civil War. — — Map (db m40866) HM
Earthworks of Fort Stanton are visible in the wooded area 200 yards in front of you.
Diagram: Fort Stanton from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing.
Fort Stanton was named for Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, was the first fort . . . — — Map (db m46623) HM
Also known as Cedar Hill, this site encompasses the estate owned by Frederick Douglass from 1877 until his death in 1895. In honor of Douglass work as an author, orator, abolitionist, statesman, and civil rights leader, this site is designated a . . . — — Map (db m40846) HM
Where do you go when you do not want to be disturbed? Frederick Douglass came to this tiny stone cabin that he called the Growlery. Coined by Charles Dickens, the word "Growlery" literally means a place to growl.
Douglass kept his Growlery . . . — — Map (db m130979) HM
Across This Intersection is St. Teresa of Avila, the first Catholic Church east of the Anacostia River. It is called the “mother church” because many area congregations are its offshoots.
As Uniontown grew, so did its Catholic . . . — — Map (db m112818) HM
James G. Birney Elementary School (founded 1889) was the city's first public school for African Americans in this area, then known as Hillsdale. Previously, residents organized their own schools. The Old Birney School expanded in 1901 with the . . . — — Map (db m100679) HM
Across the intersection to your left is Rose's Row, three one-family and three two-family houses built in 1890 by local saloon-keeper William H. Rose. Rose's son Daniel designed them in the popular Italianate style and carefully crafted a . . . — — Map (db m112938) HM
Re-dedication April 25, 2006.
This community landmark represents the Curtis Companies long standing allegience to the neighborhood and steadfast committment to unity, prosperity and good will to all Washingtonians and friends of Anacostia. . . . — — Map (db m5446) HM
This Anacostia icon once marked the entrance to Curtis Brothers Furniture Co. The business dated to 1926, when young Fred
and George Curtis acquired a Model T Ford truck to deliver ice, then progressed to moving furniture. They soon rented a . . . — — Map (db m100690) HM
Here stood Frederick Douglass rustic retreat from domestic society, where he could think, read and write undisturbed. Evoking the image of a lions lair, he called his hideaway the Growlery. It was simply furnished with a lounge, a high desk and a . . . — — Map (db m5362) HM
This imposing property once belonged to Anacostias most famous resident: Frederick Douglass. After escaping slavery as a young man, Douglass rose to become a distinguished abolitionist, writer, publisher, and orator. By the 1860s Douglass was . . . — — Map (db m88723) HM
Presented to Curtis Bros. for their outstanding leadership and service to the public by the Basset Furniture Industries.
The chair made of solid Honduras mahogany is 19½ feet tall and weighs 4600 pounds.
Designer: Leo M. . . . — — Map (db m5459) HM
The arrival of modern transportation after the Civil War transformed Anacostia. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opened a branch line along the river here in 1874, brining industry. Two years later businessman and developer Henry Griswold launched . . . — — Map (db m112939) HM
Today's Anacostia Historic District began in 1854 as Uniontown, Washington's first planned suburb. The Union Land Association saw the large Navy Yard
workforce across the Anacostia River as potential customers for building lots they carved out . . . — — Map (db m95972) HM
These 22 Corinthian sandstone columns were among 24 that were part of the east portico of the United States Capitol. Architect Charles Bullfinch oversaw construction of the portico using a design handed down by his predecessors, William Thornton and . . . — — Map (db m918) HM
Assembled in this garden is a permanent collection of the Glenn Dale Hybrid Azaleas, originated, selected, and named by B. Y. Morrison, first Director of the U.S. National Arboretum. — — Map (db m966) HM
The presence of the National Capitol Columns on the knoll in this meadow was the inspiration of Ethel Shields Garrett, patron and friend of the National Arboretum. It was through her vision, courage, and determination for thirty years that these . . . — — Map (db m917) HM
The sandstone base and capital are from a Corinthian column that once graced the east central portico of the United States Capitol. The columns were dismantled in 1958 to make way for the east front extension, where marble reproductions now stand. . . . — — Map (db m7621) HM
100 ft x 5 ft
Mylar paper, acrylic paint
This installation is inspired by the work and legacy of the late conductor and composer Leonard Bernstein. Informed by Bernstein's varied lyrical style and socially motivated themes, the . . . — — Map (db m115787) HM
One year before Congress and the President arrived in their new capital city in 1800, Washington's Navy Yard opened at the foot of Eighth Street, two miles south of this sign. The yard soon became the city's biggest employer. In 1908 streetcars . . . — — Map (db m71680) HM
The Trinidad neighborhood, named for W.W. Corcoran's original estate, got its start in the 1890s after the Washington Brick Machine Company used up the clay here making bricks. With H Street filling in with houses and businesses, the company . . . — — Map (db m71686) HM
Cathy Hughes and WOL-AM have made an indelible mark on this Washington D.C. community. In 1982, Hughes purchased a building at the corner of 4th and H Streets and found it littered with almost 200 hypodermic needles and crack pipes. The home of her . . . — — Map (db m111969) HM
The elegant Romanesque portion of the Senate Square condominium complex started life in 1874 as the Little Sisters of the Poor House for the Aged. St. Aloysius Church member Ellen Sherman, wife of Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman, . . . — — Map (db m71682) HM
When the Atlas Performing Arts Center opened in 2005, it gave hope to an area still recovering from the destruction following the assassination of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968. But when K-B's Atlas movie house opened here in . . . — — Map (db m71687) HM
The small scale and low rents of H Street's oldest buildings have lured waves of immigrant entrepreneurs since the buildings were new in the 1880s. By 1930, alongside Greek, Italian, Irish, and other immigrant-owned shops, at least 75 . . . — — Map (db m71690) HM
Ourisman Chevrolet once occupied almost the entire north side of this block. After two years as a top-performing Chevy salesman on Connecticut Avenue, and with a $2,000 loan from his widowed mother, Benjamin Ourisman opened his own dealership . . . — — Map (db m71693) HM
Maryland Avenue in the 1930s was home to immigrants from around the Mediterranean. Evelyn Kogok Hier grew up at 1328 Maryland Avenue. She remembered her next-door neighbor, the Right Reverend Ayoub (Job) Salloom, hosting after-church gatherings . . . — — Map (db m71689) HM
Calvary Episcopal Church, half a block north at 820 Sixth Street, has been a community anchor since 1901. For most of its early years, the congregation, led by founding rector Reverend Franklin I.A. Bennett, met at 11th and G. In 1941 it . . . — — Map (db m71694) HM
The handsome church on this corner is the second to occupy this spot. The first was a small brick chapel built by John A. Douglas in 1878 for the new Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after, it was renamed Douglas Memorial Methodist . . . — — Map (db m71691) HM
On Friday, April 5, 1968 the 600 block of H Street went up in flames. The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated a day earlier, and grief-stricken, angry men and women had taken to the streets across the city. Some took part . . . — — Map (db m71692) HM
The starburst intersection of five major roads marks this spot as a transportation hub for the neighborhood and the region. Shortly after Congress arrived in Washington in 1800, city leaders chose an old farm road to create a private toll . . . — — Map (db m71688) HM
Uline Arena was built in 1941 by ice maker Mike Uline to present ice skating, hocky, basketball, and tennis. The Dutch immigrant, originally named Migiel Uihlein, had made a fortune patenting ice production equipment and selling ice from his . . . — — Map (db m71683) HM
Peace – War
[Rendering of the Healing Totem Poles]
Liberty - Freedom
The cross piece at the top carries two eagles: Peace, a female, faces east; War, a male, faces west. The eagles are symbols of courage . . . — — Map (db m39960) HM
Barney Circle honors U.S. Navy Commodore Joshua Barney. In August 1814, Barney, his Chesapeake Flotillamen, and a contingent of U.S. Marines guarded a bridge over the Eastern Branch (Anacostia River) on today's Bladensburg Road, NE. When it became . . . — — Map (db m80473) HM
The F-16 became the D.C. Air National Guard alert duty aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. For twelve years, this capable fighter has responded to more than 4,000 individual alert missions over the District of Columbia. The . . . — — Map (db m74097) HM WM
American Revolutionary Service
General Peterson Goodwyn
General Peterson Goodwyn equipped his own company and was cited for gallantry at the battles of Smithfield and Great Bridge — member of the Virginia House of . . . — — Map (db m80692) WM
Congressional Cemetery, founded 1807, is the resting ground for many War of 1812 figures. Among them are Navy Yard Commandant Thomas Tingey, the first architect of the Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, State Department Clerk Stephen Pleasonton, and . . . — — Map (db m80481) HM WM
John Philip Sousa (1854–1932), known as the “March King,” grew up in Washington on G Street SE, between 6th and 7th. Sousa became a leader of the Marine Band in 1880 and served in this position for 12 years, leading band tours . . . — — Map (db m82268) HM
The Seafarers Yacht Club is the oldest African American boat club on the East Coast. It was founded in 1945 by Lewis T. Green, Sr., a vocational arts teacher in the DC Public Schools who built boats as a hobby. Needing a dock, he contacted the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m89445) HM
Dedicated to the Memory of the Victims of the U.S. Arsenal Explosion on June 17, 1864
W. E. Tippett
Margaret Yonson . . . — — Map (db m80961) WM
The venerable UH-I “HUEY” helicopter was a beloved work horse for the District of Columbia Army National Guard, safely and reliably supporting the Nations Capital for over 40 years. With 2-4 crew members, HUEYs carried up to 6 litter . . . — — Map (db m73785) HM WM
Campbell AME, established in 1867 as Mount Zion AME, was an outgrowth of its overcrowded parent church, Allen Chapel AME, founded in 1850. When it moved to a location near the present one in 1890, Mount Zion was renamed for AME Bishop Jabez B. . . . — — Map (db m33749) HM
You are standing in the middle of what once was a large estate owned by James Barry. The Washington City merchant, land speculator, and councilman purchased part of the "St. Elizabeths" tract hoping to profit as the city expanded eastward.
. . . — — Map (db m101706) HM
The fence and wall ahead of you, on either side of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, enclose historic St. Elizabeths Hospital. The pioneering facility opened in 1855 to treat mentally ill members of the armed forces and DC residents. At a time when . . . — — Map (db m100694) HM
Just beyond this sign is the edge of Barry Farm Dwellings, built during World War II for African American families. The war had caused acute housing shortages, so people divided large homes into rooming houses, took in boarders, or crammed into . . . — — Map (db m113608) HM
Earthworks of Fort Chaplin are visible through the wooded areas at the top of the hill. Fort Chaplin was named in honor of Col. Daniel Chaplin, who was mortally wounded on August 17, 1864, at Deep Bottom, Virginia. — — Map (db m10628) HM
The Barnett Aden Gallery, which operated on the first floor of this house between 1943 and 1968, was the first privately owned black art gallery in the United States. It was founded by James Vernon Herring (1897-1969), chair of Howard University's . . . — — Map (db m110518) HM
You are standing in the heart of Bloomingdale. Noted DC developer Harry Wardman, responsible for 180 Bloomingdale houses, was one of many builders who built here between 1890 and 1910.
These Victorian rowhouses were designed for well-to-do . . . — — Map (db m110510) HM
In the 1940s, homeowners in the 100 block of Bryant Street breached a contract when they sold their houses to African Americans. Covenants, or agreements, in their real estate deeds prohibited "the sale of the house to anyone of the Negro race" . . . — — Map (db m114167) HM
This busy stretch of Rhode Island Avenue was a racial dividing line even as DC became majority African American in 1957. "African Americans were not welcome on [the north] side of the street," commented Reverend Bobby Livingston years later, . . . — — Map (db m110512) HM
St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church celebrated its first Mass in 1901 in a nearby mansion. Father Eugene Hannan, a graduate of Gonzaga High School just south of here, founded St. Martin's to serve the growing Catholic population that dated to . . . — — Map (db m110514) HM
Bloomingdale of the 1940s and '50s was a village of high expectations. Within a block of this sign lived four young women who grew up to be judges.
Anna Diggs Taylor rose to chief judge of the U.S. District Court in Michigan. The daughter . . . — — Map (db m110520) HM
Edward Brooke, who represented Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate from 1967 to 1979, was the first African American elected to the Senate in the 20th century. Brooke was born at 1938 Third Street and later lived with his family at 1730 First . . . — — Map (db m110517) HM
2nd Church Built 1833.
Admitted to Philadelphia-Baltimore Conference, 1837.
3rd Church Built 1888.
Relocated present site, 1956.
Bishop Raymond Luthe Jones, Presiding Bishop, 4th Episcopal District.
Dr. William B. . . . — — Map (db m11042) HM
The Nathaniel Gage School for white children opened here in 1904, when Washington's public school system was segregated. By the 1930s, even though LeDroit Park was an African American neighborhood, Gage remained white only. "I had to walk by the . . . — — Map (db m110500) HM
You are entering Bloomingdale. Its name recalls the estate of Navy Commander George Beale, who served in the War of 1812, and his wife Emily, the daughter of Commodore Thomas Truxton. The estate occupied the land now bounded by Florida Avenue, T . . . — — Map (db m110508) HM
Many distinguished Black citizens including Civil War veterans were buried in this cemetery. These bodies now rest in the new National Harmony Memorial Park Cemetery in Maryland. — — Map (db m16069) HM
Hearing those words, President Abraham Lincoln ducked down from the Fort Stevens parapet during the Civil War battle that stopped the Confederates from taking Washington. On July 9, 1864, some 15,000 Rebels led by General Jubal A. Early . . . — — Map (db m72829) HM
The Large Structure across Georgia Avenue opened in 1909 as a "car barn" for the Brightwood Railway. The facility could service more than 40 streetcars at once, and often did so late at night. As a young boy in the 1950s, Thomas Reardon . . . — — Map (db m72831) HM
Even before emancipation freed Washington's enslaved people in April 1862, a free African American community had developed here amid the European American farmers. The District of Columbia, unlike its neighbors, permitted the formerly enslaved . . . — — Map (db m72821) HM
Army Medical Museum has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark under the provision of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — — Map (db m17095) WM
Elizabeth Proctor Thomas (1821-1917), a free Black woman whose image appears on each Brightwood Heritage Trail sign, once owned 11 acres in this area. Known, respectfully in her old age as "Aunt Betty," Thomas and her husband James farmed and kept . . . — — Map (db m72830) HM
This busy section once was a "Country Road" to Washingtonians looking for peace and recreation. If you drove by here a century ago, you would have passed woods and large estates, and might even have seen fox hunters. Across Georgia was the . . . — — Map (db m72813) HM
In 1818 the Private Rockville and Washington Turnpike Co. began building a road to link Washington City to Rockville, Maryland. This road helped create a village. A toll gate on what today is Georgia Avenue between Quackenbos and Rittenhouse . . . — — Map (db m72819) HM
Apple and Peach Trees once covered the slopes to your left, some 40 acres' worth, all planted by noted horticulturalist John Saul (1819-1897). In the 1870s Saul was one of Brghtwood's largest landowners. In addition to these orchards, he . . . — — Map (db m72822) HM
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 The partial reconstruction of Fort Stevens that you see today was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. No visible evidence of the original fort remains. Battle of Fort Stevens July 11-12, . . . — — Map (db m3028) HM
“We havent taken Washington, but we scared Abe Lincoln like hell! ” General Jubal Anderson Early Built between 1861-1863 this structure was originally called Fort Massachusetts and guarded the northern defenses of the . . . — — Map (db m49456) HM
The Military Road School opened in 1864 here along what then was Military Road, an artery linking Civil War forts. The School was one of the first to open after Congress authorized public education for Washington's African Americans in 1862. . . . — — Map (db m115232) HM
We have Harry Wardman to thank for the rich variety of Sheridan Street rowhouses. Wardman, considered Washington's most prolific developer, built hundreds of offices, apartments, hotels, and comfortable rowhouses from 1899 to 1939. When he . . . — — Map (db m72823) HM
Back in the 1920s, most people walked or rode a streetcar to go shopping. Then cars became affordable, and people drove everywhere. Soon the shopping center, with free parking, was born. In 1937 Brightwood's "Park and Shop" opened on Georgia . . . — — Map (db m72826) HM
The School Building Just Ahead of You Opened In 1912 as the Military Road School, the area's third public elementary for African Americans. For decades it was the only public school serving black children in Upper Northwest and nearby . . . — — Map (db m110235) HM
Used as a signal station
· by ·
Confederate soldiers under
Gen. Jubal A. Early
during the attack on
· Washington ·
July 11 and 12, 1864
Also used by
The lower plaque reads:
Two cannon balls . . . — — Map (db m42698) HM
Across Quackenbos Street Emory United Methodist Church. Named to honor Bishop John Emory of Maryland (1789-1835), the congregation dates from 1832.
From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated . . . — — Map (db m118907) HM
On July 11 and 12, 1864, this intersection was the center of the only Civil War battle fought in the District of Columbia. Here, Union sharpshooters at Fort Stevens, supported by forces across the
northernmost of Washington's ring of forts, . . . — — Map (db m123226) HM
Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, pioneer in military medicine.
Although first envisioned during the Civil War, it was not until 1909 that an army general hospital was built in Washington. Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, famed for . . . — — Map (db m14164) HM
Walter Reed 1851 - 1902 Bacteriologist - Research Scientist
In honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow fever
Reverse:Insignia of the Army Medical Corps
In recognition of the high public service of . . . — — Map (db m68990) HM
In the 1930s as now, this area was a family friendly, "move-up" destination for hard-working government clerks and professionals. Like many DC neighborhoods, Brightwood had covenants prohibiting sales to certain white ethnics and African . . . — — Map (db m72777) HM
Named in honor of Dr. Charles Richard Drew, 1904-1950 esteemed citizen of the District of Columbia athlete, scholar, surgeon, and scientist whose discoveries in blood preservation saved thousands of lives. — — Map (db m6262) HM
Corinthian Capital Circa 2nd-3rd century AD. This capital, the top of a column, is from Jerusalem. Capitals of this type can be seen in Roman buildings constructed during the time of the Roman occupation of the Holy Land. Good examples can still . . . — — Map (db m111792) HM
Erected to the memory of the very Reverend Commissaries
of the Holy Land for the United States; who have, since
1880 contributed to the preservation of the Holy-Places
and prospered the charitable missionary activities of
the Franciscan . . . — — Map (db m111791) HM
Fort Bunker Hill
Civil War Defenses of Washington
Fort Bunker Hill from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing.
Built by the 11th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment who named the fort . . . — — Map (db m111794) HM WM
Fort Bunker Hill
One of the Civil War Defenses of Washington erected in the fall of 1861, Fort Bunker Hill occupied an important position between Fort Totten and Fort Lincoln in the defense of the National Capital. Thirteen guns and . . . — — Map (db m111795) HM WM
Lois Mailou Jones (1905-1998), internationally acclaimed artist and teacher, lived here from the 1950s into the 1970s. Born and educated in Boston, Jones joined the Howard University Art Department in 1930 and stayed for nearly 50 years. She began . . . — — Map (db m111784) HM
Economist Robert Clifton Weaver (1907-1997) was born in Washington and grew up here in Brookland. After graduating from Dunbar High School, he earned three degrees in economics from Harvard and moved into a long career in government service. Weaver . . . — — Map (db m111796) HM
Sterling Brown (1901-1989) was a central figure of the New Negro Renaissance of the 1920s and '30s and the Black Arts Movement of the 1960s and '70s. Brown's work includes Southern Road (1932), The Negro in American Fiction (1937), and . . . — — Map (db m111799) HM
The Jackson H. Gerhart House
Engine Company 17
Dedicated in memory of the longest serving member of Engine Company 17, Wagon Driver Jackson H. Gerhart.
He was appointed on Feb. 3, 1963 and retired . . . — — Map (db m111800) HM
The Poet's House
1222 Kearney Street N.E.
Sterling Allen Brown
"The strong men keep a-comin' on
The strong men git stronger..."
In 1979, the D.C. City Council
declared Brown's birthday, May 1,
Sterling . . . — — Map (db m111797) HM
Sacred to the memory of
Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M.
First Commissary General of
the Holy Land for the United States
1880 - 1896
The first to conduct an American Catholic
pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1889,
and to place the . . . — — Map (db m111788) HM
Sacred to the memory of
Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M.
Founder of the cause of the Holy Land
in the United States
Erected to commemorate the centenary of the
First Commissariat in New York City in 1880
Fr. . . . — — Map (db m111789) HM
Sacred to the memory of
Very Rev. Godfrey Schilling, O.F.M.
1896-1901 Commissary 1911-1922
Founder of this Memorial Church and Monastery
of the Holy Sepulcher in 1897.
Fr. Godfrey was the first American Missionary
to the Holy Land. By . . . — — Map (db m111787) HM
Long before Metro opened a Green Line station here in 1991, the B&O Railroad's Alexandria Branch line ran a block behind you, along the river. The Washington & Anacostia Street Railway ran along Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue a block ahead. The . . . — — Map (db m113606) HM WM
This is a selection of people, renowned in their perspective professions, who at one time called Burleith their home.
Actress Nancy Ordway (1914-2005), a 1940s radio star, lived at 1710 35th Street. She starred in the nationally . . . — — Map (db m113388) HM
As you read this plaque, you are standing at the dot on the map facing one of the five fire call boxes in the Burleith neighborhood. A star indicates each of the other four.
Each call box has a plaque focusing on an aspect of Burleith's . . . — — Map (db m113419) HM
The Western High School building in Burleith, which now houses Duke Ellington High School of the Arts, was home to the school's cadets from 1897 to the 1970s. More than a high school military unit, the main object of the cadets was character . . . — — Map (db m113394) HM WM
Burleith's built environment dates to the early nineteenth century. The oldest existing home, 1814 35th Street (earlier known as Fayette Street), was built in 1803. Three other structures on 35th Street were built in 1830, and about fifty years . . . — — Map (db m113392) HM
You are standing in the midst of Burleith, a community of about 530 single family houses bounded by Reservoir Road to the south, Whitehaven Parkway to the north, and 35th and 39th Streets to the east and west respectively. The majority of the houses . . . — — Map (db m113398) HM
Dedicated by Maryland State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 21, 1934. Growing on land that was once a part of Maryland and was in 1790 her gift to the United States of America for the national capitol, the 31 trees in this group . . . — — Map (db m4893) HM
The buildings near this corner were built during a wave of private development that began after the United States won the Spanish-American War in 1898, and became a world power for the first time. As America flexed its muscles, the world — . . . — — Map (db m57119) HM
Acacia Life Insurance Building – 1936
On March 3, 1869, President Andrew Johnson signed the Congressional Act chartering
The Masonic Mutual Relief Association that
became Acacia Life Insurance Company.
Built as its headquarters . . . — — Map (db m41886) HM
Of this House
The oldest part is one of the earliest buildings in this region.
Robert Sewall bought the property and enlarged the house in 1799, and rebuilt and greatly altered it after war damage in 1814.
Residence and office of . . . — — Map (db m69271) HM
The large building that wraps around this corner was constructed as a department store in 1892 by Elizabeth A. Haines. She proudly advertised it as "the largest store in the world, built, owned and controlled by a woman." Back then extended . . . — — Map (db m123107) HM
The Presbytery of the Potomac
Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church
on April 11, 1864
and installed its organizing pastor,
the Reverend John Chester, D.D.
This gothic style building was designed by
Washington . . . — — Map (db m116128) HM
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds
by Frederick Law Olmsted, 1874
Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law . . . — — Map (db m111439) HM
Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — — Map (db m111446) HM
Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — — Map (db m111468) HM
The Peace Monument
By Franklin Simmons, 1878
The Peace Monument, also called the Naval Monument, was erected to commemorate the naval deaths at sea during the Civil War. at the top of the 44-foot monument, Grief, sometimes . . . — — Map (db m111437) HM
The Robert A. Taft Memorial Carillon
Sculpture by Wheeler Williams
Architecture by Douglas W. Orr, 1959
The memorial consists of a 100-foot Tennessee marble tower and a 10-foot bronze statue of Senator Taft. The twenty-seven . . . — — Map (db m111460) HM
was located at the southwest corner of Eleventh Street & North Carolina Avenue
Razed early 1970s
Drawing of entrance on North Carolina Avenue based on plans at the National Archives
B.F. Meyers (1865-1940), . . . — — Map (db m128222) HM
This is Christ Church, Washington Parish, the first Episcopal church established in Washington City (1794), and attended by Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams.
At first Christ Church met in a nearby tobacco warehouse. In 1806 . . . — — Map (db m39235) HM
The home/music studio of John Esputa, Jr., once occupied the site of 511 Eighth Street (Shakespeare Theatres rehearsal hall.) Among Esputas students in 1861 was eight-year-old John Philip Sousa, whose irresistible marches made him one of . . . — — Map (db m64884) HM
This residence was designed by architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr. and built in 1891 for Daniel Birtwell. In 1900, George Bruce Cortelyou occupied the house when he became secretary to President McKinley. Cortelyou continued to serve in public office . . . — — Map (db m69292) HM
Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this was the world's largest train station when it opened - the station and terminal zone originally covered approximately 200 acres and included 75 miles of tracks. For over half a century its coffered ceilings and . . . — — Map (db m8442) HM
The original Library of Congress occupied a room in the U.S. Capitol. When British troops burned the Capitol in 1814, the collection was destroyed. After the war Thomas Jefferson helped re-establish the library by selling to Congress at a . . . — — Map (db m80848) HM
Established by order of President Thomas Jefferson 1805, this building constructed 1873, designed by Adolf Cluss, additions 1907-8 by Snowden Ashford.
Eastern Market, one of three public markets proposed in LEnfants Plan, was established in . . . — — Map (db m20358) HM
Ebenezer United Methodist Church is Capitol Hills oldest independent Black congregation.
Ebenezer UMC was founded in 1827 by African Americans who left a biracial church on Capitol Hill because the White congregants practiced segregation. The neew . . . — — Map (db m30053) HM
The first public school for colored children of the District of Columbia. Named Little Ebenezer and located within the boundaries of the Capitol Hill Historic District. Designated a Category II Landmark by the Joint Committee on Landmarks
April . . . — — Map (db m116119) HM
Americas oldest navy and marine installations are just blocks from where you are standing.
This is the northern edge of a Capitol Hill community shaped by the presence of the U.S. military. Eighth Street is its commercial center. The . . . — — Map (db m130729) HM
“[The British] put a slow match to the [Sewall] house and those rockets burst until they made the rafters fly East and West.” — Enslaved African American diarist and eyewitness, Michael Shiner.
As the British . . . — — Map (db m87856) HM WM
This house belongs to and is for the use of the people of the State of Florida. Through their contributions the building was purchased and renovated to create Florida house, the first state house in the Nations Capital. It is dedicated to all . . . — — Map (db m113706) HM
Orator - Publisher - Statesman
Precursor of the Civil Rights Movement
An ex-slave who rose to world renown as an abolitionist and who served in high government posts under presidents Grant through Cleveland, Frederick Douglass resided in this . . . — — Map (db m69264) HM
In grateful memory of Abraham Lincoln. This monument was erected by the Western Sanitary Commission of Saint Louis, Mo., with funds contributed solely by emancipated Citizens of the United States declared free by his Proclamation, January 1st . . . — — Map (db m41617) HM
From June to December 1917 members of the National Woman's Party were imprisoned for picketing the White House to publicize the struggle to win the vote for Women. Those incarcerated in the District of Columbia's workhouse in Occoquan, Virginia . . . — — Map (db m71336) HM
In 1866 the Navy completed the hospital you see across the street to treat injured and ailing seamen. With beds for 50, it included the carriage house/stable and cast-iron fence and (around the corner) the gazebo. Its front door originally was . . . — — Map (db m50813) HM
You are standing in one of Washingtons remaining inhabited alleys, behind the buildings that face G, E (there is no F Street here), Sixth and Seventh streets. In 1897 the alley had 22 tiny dwellings sheltering well over 100 . . . — — Map (db m39275) HM
[Panel 1 of the historical narrative at memorial entrance]:
On February 19, 1942, 73 days after the United States entered World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066 which resulted in the removal of 120,000 . . . — — Map (db m40541) HM
Executive Director of
Market 5 Gallery and Kuumba Center
at Eastern Market
John Harrod directed Market 5 Gallery and the Kuumba Center after Mayor Walter E. Washington started a neighborhood arts initiative in each ward of . . . — — Map (db m116126) HM
Latrobe Gate Designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe in 1804, the gate and flanking guardhouses were constructed in the Greek Revival style. This style became very popular in the young nation, and the original section of the gate represents one of . . . — — Map (db m28348) HM
You are standing across from Marion Park, named for Francis Marion, the celebrated South Carolina state senator (1782-1790) who earned the moniker "Swamp Fox" for his brilliant stealth tactics against the British during the Revolutionary War. . . . — — Map (db m113633) HM WM
As our nation celebrated its 200th anniversary in 1976, Ebenezer United Methodist Church celebrated 138 years of service to God, humanity, country, home, and community. This model is a replica of Little Ebenezer, the frame church that stood on this . . . — — Map (db m116122) HM