Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Washita County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Canute Marker second from right among the five markers. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2018
Canute Marker second from right among the five markers.
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 218 — Canute
Early inhabitants of the area were plains Indians who followed and hunted the roaming herds of buffalo that grazed the rich grasslands of this area. evidence of several Indian encampments have been located on Trail Elk, Turkey and Oak Creeks as well . . . — Map (db m119435) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — Canute Centennial1902 - 2002 — Canute Town and County Centennial —
Town Chartered July 2, 1902 - Canute established Oklahoma territory Canute city lots sold by lottery for $10.00 per lot 1902 - 1st State Bank receives charter 1904 - Water well dug in in middle of main street with windmill for horses . . . — Map (db m120167) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 217 — David Lee Walters
David Lee Walters, 24th Governor of Oklahoma and first Governor from Western Oklahoma, was born in Canute on Nov. 20. 1951. Raised on a nearby farm, he attended schools in Canute and graduated from Canute High School as Valedictorian in 1969. He . . . — Map (db m120164) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — Great Western Cattle Trail1874–1896 — GWCT —
The Great Western Cattle Trail began at Bandera, TX. As the demand for beef increased in the east, returning Civil War soldiers headed wild longhorn cattle from south Texas and Mexico north to the railhead at Dodge City, KS. The first herd . . . — Map (db m120012) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Canute — 216 — St. Francis Church
St. Francis of Assisi Church, two miles south and two miles east of present day Canute, was an important outpost of the Roman Catholic Church in western Oklahoma. Founded by Father Steber in 1899, it served as "the mother parish of the west", from . . . — Map (db m120160) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Cordell — Coming of the White Man
In 1540, Coronado, the Spanish explorer and governor of Mexico, traveled from Mexico through the southern Great Plains, including this part of Oklahoma, returning via New Mexico. He claimed all of the western United States for his native Spain. . . . — Map (db m143747) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), Cordell — 231 — Washita CountyHome of America's First Upstream Flood Control Dam
Cloud Creek #1 Washita River Basin Dedicated July 8, 1948 Rededicated July 3, 1998 Cloud Creek Dam No. 1 located 11 miles southeast of Cordell was the first of 1140 dams in the Washita river basin and the first of over 10.000 . . . — Map (db m120178) HM
Oklahoma (Washita County), New Cordell — Flame of FreedomNew Cordell Veterans Memorial
This flame of freedom burns eternally, honoring veterans who served in all wars, especially to those who fought and died that people of all countries might be free — Map (db m142870) WM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 4, 2020