Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Westmoreland County New Brunswick Historical Markers

 
Methodist Chapel 1790 Marker at Methodist Burying Ground image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 28, 2017
Methodist Chapel 1790 Marker at Methodist Burying Ground
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Methodist Chapel 1790

The first Methodist chapel in the Sackville area was dedicated in July 1790 by the Rev James Mann. It[']s first trustees were

John Fawcett • William Fawcett John Fawcett Jr • Andrew Wheldon Robert Atkinson

The stone . . . — Map (db m106339) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Middle Sackville — Yorkshire 2000
. . . — Map (db m106381) HM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Armenian Genocide Centennial Memorial1915 - 2015 — April 24, 1915

In memory of the 1.5 million martyrs of the Armenian Genocide and all victims of genocide

A la mémoire de 1,5 millions de martyrs du génocide arménien et de toutes les victimes de génocide — Map (db m106601) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — First Settlers / Premiers Colons

This part of "Le Coude" (The Bend) was in earlier times called Terre-Rouge. Three families from the Grand-Prée region first settled here:

Jean Babineau & Isabelle Breau, circa 1733, followed by Joseph Breau & Isabelle Thibodeau and . . . — Map (db m106603) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Moncton — Joseph Salter Moncton 100 Monument

The Moncton 100 Monument honours Joseph Salter, shipbuilder, entrepreneur and first mayor of the Township of Moncton in 1855.

Local entrepreneurs, whose names are inscribed on this monument, undertook funding of the project as their gift to . . . — Map (db m106613) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 1919 Booster Pump

A pump-house was constructed on this site in the fall of 1919 to house a large water pump driven by a 40HP electric motor. The pump was installed to boost the water pressure in the Town’s hydrants during times when water was required for fire . . . — Map (db m106382) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) Ferret Armored Car
. . . — Map (db m106554) WM
New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Anglican Church Rectory1880

The rectory was constructed in the Queen Anne Revival style in 1880 on land given by J.F. Allison and Mary Allison Botsford. The design was prepared by R. C. Boxall and constructed by Mr. J. Teed of Dorchester. Great pains were taken with the . . . — Map (db m106390) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Battle of NormandyD Day June 6th, 1944 — Juno Beach

A vial of sand taken from Juno Beach has been poured into the header of this memorial to honor the 14,000 Canadians who took part in the Battle of Normandy — Map (db m106592) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Copp Block1897

The Copp Block was built for A.B. Copp, lawyer, politician, Secretary of State and Senator. The ground floor has served as a law office ever since construction and Senator Copp maintained an office here from 1897 until his death in December of . . . — Map (db m106472) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Dr. Copp's House1880 [sic - 1895]

In the early 1900's, this was the home and office of Dr. E.M. Copp, a medical doctor. His career began as a general practice and he delivered many a baby. After a residency in New York [C]ity, he became an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. — Map (db m106526) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — George F. G. Stanley

Erected by the Town of Sackville to commemorate the designer of the Canadian flag George F. G. Stanley C.C., C.D., K.StJ., D.Phil., LL.D. Former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, Professor, Historian, Second World War . . . — Map (db m106430) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Harold GeddesIn Memoriam

Harold Geddes was a local landmark. Small in stature, he stood tall in this community.

Orphaned in the Halifax Explosion of 1917, he was adopted by Charles and Alice Geddes of Sackville.

On retirement from his job as a custodian at . . . — Map (db m106479) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — HMCS/NCSM Sackville

This garden is named in honour of HMCS Sackville, a corvette that had a distinguished career during the Second World War. She was launched on May 15, 1941 in Saint John, New Brunswick and was christened by Mrs. J.E.W. Oland in the . . . — Map (db m106595) HM WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Marshlands Inn1850

Built by the Hon. William Crane, an early Sackville merchant, landowner, politician and partner of Charles Frederick Allison. The home was a wedding present for his daughter Ruth and Edward Cogswell and was known as Cogswell House. In 1895, it . . . — Map (db m106525) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Miller Block1913

Harris Miller had this two storey building constructed in 1913. It began as three store fronts with four apartments on the second floor.

Over time Harris Miller, Henry Berman, Arthur Sharpe and the Estabrooks brothers operated clothing and . . . — Map (db m106426) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church1905

Presbyterians worshipped in Middle Sackville from the 1840's and built a church there in 1871 which was used until the turn of the century when they began to meet in Sackville. The present structure was built as a two-storey hall and dedicated . . . — Map (db m106527) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — St. Paul's Anglican Church1856

The construction of St. Paul's began in 1856, based on a model brought by the Rt. Rev. John Medley, First Bishop of Fredericton. Bishop Medley's interest in Gothic Revival architecture, recreating a medieval stone building in New Brunswick . . . — Map (db m106421) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Ford Block1894

This building stands on land originally part of the Bowser Farm property purchased from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. In 1894 local merchant George E. Ford acquired a five acre lot, on which he constructed this block as a department store in three . . . — Map (db m106470) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Henderson Block1900

Built by Henry Fawcett and A.B. Copp in 1900, this block was the home of the Sackville Book Store, owned by W.R. Goodwin until 1906, and then also a drugstore operated by W.R. Rodd, a druggist and optician.

For a time, it was known as the . . . — Map (db m106473) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Royal Canadian Air Force — Lest we forget / Nous nous souviendrons

The Royal Canadian Air Force has stood on guard for Canada since 1924. Over three hundred and twenty five Sackville area residents and students of Mount Allison University have served in the R.C.A.F. both here and abroad from the First World . . . — Map (db m106550) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — The Wood Block / L'Edifice Wood1914 — New/Nouveau Brunswick Provincial Historic Site / Lieu historique provincial

Constructed of local stone, this Romanesque Revival building is closely associated with Josiah Wood, a prominent Westmoreland County businessman and politician. The upper-level theatre is a unique design feature.

Cet édifice en pierre . . . — Map (db m106521) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — Town Hall1924

Once the Amasa Killam property, granted in 1765, this site has contained a number of commercial stores including the Crane-Allison store. The intersection has long been called Crane's Corner. Other stores operating at this site were Smith & . . . — Map (db m106476) HM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Sackville — War Memorial

Their Name Liveth Forevermore

1914 - 1918 Roland Beal • Frank Milner • Arthur Bourque George Bickerton • Ralph Crossman • Alpheus Crossman Stanley Crawford • Arthur DeVarenne • Henry Dixon Virgile Gaudet • Winfred Hicks • Walter . . . — Map (db m106556) WM

New Brunswick (Westmoreland County), Shediac — Men of LettersHommes de Lettres
English: Born in or near Shediac, Pascal Poirier (1852-1933), historian and first Acadian senator; Placide Gaudet (1850-1930), historian and genealogist; John Clarence Webster (1863-1950), historian, Professor, and eminent surgeon, all . . . — Map (db m80578) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.