Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wilson County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
A.C. Wharton Market Marker image, Touch for more information
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, circa September 30, 2017
A.C. Wharton Market Marker
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — A.C. Wharton Market
As a youngster growing up in rural Wilson County, A. C. was already working his way toward success. At age 7, he traveled the countryside on a mule, gathering old bleached out bones; which he sold to a fertilizer plant for 40 cents per 100 pounds. . . . — Map (db m109417) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 202 — Battle of Lebanon
Near dawn on May 5, 1862, Colonel John Hunt Morgan’s 800 Confederate Cavalry camped around the Public Square and at Cumberland University on South College Street, were attacked by General Ebenezer Dumont’s Federal Cavalry of 600 as they advanced . . . — Map (db m19927) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Cartmell Cabin
Relocated in 1991 The Cartmell Cabin was the first building acquired for Fiddlers Grove in 1991. It was saved from the bulldozer clearing the land for the new industrial park adjacent to Interstate 40 in Lebanon. Stratton Bone, a member of the . . . — Map (db m108822) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 104 — Caruthers Hall
Cumberland University School of Law, 1847-1962, was housed at this site from 1877 until 1962. For many years it was the largest law school in the United States. Graduates included U.S. Supreme Court Justices Horace Lurton and Howell E. Jackson: . . . — Map (db m68363) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 52 — Castle Heights Military Academy
Castle Heights School was founded in 1902 by David E. Mitchell and I.W.P. Buchanan. Early headmasters were Buchanan, L.L. Rice, and O.N. Smith. In 1914 the school became a military academy. Acquired by the McFadden Foundation in 1928, it has been a . . . — Map (db m100117) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 201 — Cedar Grove Cemetery
In 1846, the City of Lebanon purchased land for this public cemetery. Surveyed by Professor (later Lt. General, CSA) Alexander P. Stewart of Cumberland University, the first burial took place in 1849. Among the dignitaries resting here are William . . . — Map (db m83193) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Cedar Grove CemeteryA Final Resting Place
The city of Lebanon purchased the land for this beautiful cemetery in 1846. Beneath its trees lie more than 150 soldiers who served in the Confederate army during the Civil War, including many Wilson County men who enlisted in the 7th Tennessee . . . — Map (db m100111) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Confederate Veterans and Robert H. Hatton Memorial
Erected in Honor of the Confederate Veterans of Wilson County and all other true southern soldiers 1861-1865 (Side bar) General Robert Hatton’s statue is atop of the monument. (Bronze plaque at the base of the monument) Gen. . . . — Map (db m83066) WM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Dedman's Store
The general country store built in 1945 by Mr. and Mrs. Roy Dedman on Trousdale Ferry Pike, served as a landmark in the Tuckers Cross Roads community and Swindell Hollow Road. It was a one stop store in many ways; during WWII he sold hard to . . . — Map (db m109418) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 135 — Deford Baily
Born near the community of Bellwood, in the 1920s and 1930s, Delford Bailey won nationwide fame as the “Harmonica Wizard.” A founding member of the Grand Ole Opry, he was the first African American to win fame in country music. Through . . . — Map (db m100485) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Dr. James Edmond Fisher's Office
Dr. Fisher was born in 1879. He graduated in 1907 from the University of Nashville Medical School. It was the same year he married Vinnie Reynolds and established his practice in this Apothecary Office in the Rome community. The office still . . . — Map (db m109419) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Forbes Cabin
The community of Shop Springs was established in the early 1800's, having a group of stores, blacksmith shops, school, churches, physician, and a cooper shop. This cabin was built during this era of development, on a hill overlooking the businesses. . . . — Map (db m109656)
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — History of the Logs Used in this CabinNeddy Jacobs Cabin Site
The original site of this log cabin was in Leeville, Tennessee on the old Nashville-Lebanon stage route (Hickory Ridge Road). It was built in 1833 by John Kelley, a Methodist minister, and his wife, Margaret Lavenia Kelley. It was built on land . . . — Map (db m83195) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 9 — James Chamberlain Jones<------<<<<
Popularly known as “Lean Jimmy,” lived here. First native Tennessean to become Governor, he defeated James K. Polk in 1841 and 1843. In 1850, became President of Memphis & Charleston RR. Served as U.S. Senator from 1851 to 1853. He died . . . — Map (db m83196) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 209 — James E. Ward1907-1982
Dedicated on July 19, 1976, the James E. Ward Agricultural Center was named in honor of agricultural agent James E. Ward who served as Wilson County's agricultural agent from 1936 to 1973. A key organizer of the Hereford Breeders Association and . . . — Map (db m36791) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 103 — Judge Nathan Green, Sr.
This house was built by Judge Green, the father of equity jurisprudence in the state, who sat for twenty-one years in the Tennessee State Supreme Court. In 1852 he became a professor of Law at Cumberland University. Before settling in Lebanon, he . . . — Map (db m100114) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — LebanonMorgan's Defeat
In April 1862, after the Battle of Shiloh, Confederate Col. John Hunt Morgan planned a raid through Tennessee and Kentucky to sever Union supply lines. Morgan let the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry from Corinth, Mississippi, into Tennessee and engaged with . . . — Map (db m68395) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 228 — Lebanon Post Office
In July 1908 Lebanon's growth and prominence qualified the town for free citywide mail delivery. Congressman Cordell Hull secured funding of $50,000 for this federal post office building. The cornerstone was laid on October 30, 1913. Chief . . . — Map (db m100113) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 45 — Livesay Mill
Livesay Mill was built in 1879 on the Clinch River at Kyles Ford near the Tennessee Virginia State Line in Hancock County. The Grist Mill was water powered using a pair of grinding stones to grind corn for meal and wheat for flour. According to deed . . . — Map (db m109420) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Melrose Church
Melrose Presbyterian Church was built in 1883; held its first worship service in 1885 and closed the doors at the last worship service 102 years later in 1980. The building is constructed of poplar wood grown and milled in Wilson County.

The . . . — Map (db m109657) HM

Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Mr. Luther's Blacksmith Shop and Broom Factory
Mr. Luther's Blacksmith Shop and Broom Factory sat on the bank of Cedar Creek in the heart of the village of Taylorsville. The blacksmith shop was built c. 1836. Mr. Luther Piercey became the proprietor in the early 1900's and served the community . . . — Map (db m109658)
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Neddy Jacobs Cabin
Prior to 1780, the land that is now the Historic Lebanon Town Square was claimed by William Gosney. It was part of 640 acres surrounding the gushing spring, and here he built a cabin. After his death, the land was sold in 1793 by his heirs to James . . . — Map (db m83197) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Pete Smith's StoreMiddle Tennessee Electric Museum
Pete Smith opened his original store August 1, 1927, when cokes were a nickel a bottle, a gallon of gas cost 14 cents plus 6 cents tax and T.O. "Pete" Smith drove a Model T Ford pickup when he went into business at Doak's Cross Roads. He opened the . . . — Map (db m109659)
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Peyton Smokehouse
The smokehouse originally stood on the Wharton Place three miles Southeast of Lebanon on Sparta Pike. Jesse Wharton of Davidson County bought the 912 acre farmland in 1811 from John Gray Blount of North Carolina. Jesse deeded the farm to his son, . . . — Map (db m109660)
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 200 — Robert Looney Caruthers1800-1882
Born in Smith County in 1800, Caruthers was elected Confederate Governor in 1863. However, due to the Federal occupation of Tennessee, he was not inaugurated. A co-founder of Cumberland University, he served in the Tennessee House of Representatives . . . — Map (db m68364) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Seawell Hill CampA deathlike stillness in Lebanon — Wheeler's 1864 Raid
You are standing on Seawell Hill, where Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalrymen camped during their raid through Tennessee. They had destroyed parts of the railroad to Chattanooga then moved north up the Tennessee River Valley, damaging the . . . — Map (db m68381) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Site of Robert H. Hatton HomeEarly Casualty of the War
On this site was the home of Robert H. Hatton that was unfortunately destroyed by fire after the war. He was born in October in 1826, but early in his life his family moved to Lebanon. He graduated from Cumberland University and then studied law at . . . — Map (db m83198) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Stewart Cabin
William Brannon Barrow built this cabin in 1795. According to family records, the land was one of the last Land Grants issued from North Carolina prior to the Statehood of Tennessee in 1796.

The cedar log cabin changed ownership many times and . . . — Map (db m109661)

Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Tates Crossing Flag Station
This Train Flag Station was in use at Tates Crossing near Mt. Juliet, Tennessee from 1870 until 1935. During this 65 years it was owned by two different railroads, The Tennessee and Pacific Railroad and the Nashville Chattanooga and St. Louis . . . — Map (db m109693) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — The Civil War In LebanonCaught in the Crossfire
Lebanon, because of its proximity to the Cumberland River and its position as a turnpike crossroads, was soon caught in the crossfire of the Civil War. Federal troops first appeared early in 1862. An engagement on the Lebanon Square in May between . . . — Map (db m107974) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Thompson-Partlow Cabin and SmokehouseCentury Farm Museum
The historic log cabin and smokehouse were relocated from the Century Farm of Waller Partlow and Lucy Logue Thompson Partlow. They are descendants of pioneers that came to Wilson County in a covered wagon. This is probably the original cabin that . . . — Map (db m108800) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Tuckers Gap Depot
John Bell Tarver donated the rights-of-way on his farm for the railroad and also the land on which the depot was built in c-1870.

Mr. Tarver was the Postmaster at the Post Office, which was located inside the depot, until his death in 1906. . . . — Map (db m109694) HM

Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Wheeler School
Wheeler School, a one room school, was built in the late 1860's on the farm currently owned by the Harrison Family near Alexandria. Mr. W. E. B. DuBois became the first instructor at the school. In fact, it was the beginning of his long successful . . . — Map (db m109692)
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — 3A 183 — Wilson County Courthouses
The first courthouse stood on the west side of the public square. The second was located in the center of the square. In 1848 the third, designed by William Strickland, was erected on this site which was Lot No.2 (SW) of the Lebanon town lot plan of . . . — Map (db m19442) HM

34 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.