During Luther's life time it was common to burn the clothes of those who had died because of epidemics near the Holy Cross Hospital which was in front of the Elster Gate. On December 10th, 1520 Dr. Martin Luther burned the papal excommunication . . . — — Map (db m70142) HM
Wir danken den hier senannten grundern des alten jungfern-rohr wassers fur ihr noch heute bestehendes uneigennutziges werk
Hieronymus Krapp • Christoph Kellner • Christoph Schramm • Lucas Cranach • Kaspar Pfreundt • Konrad Ruehel • Hans . . . — — Map (db m69736) HM
This chantry chapel was built in 1368 by Konrad Wynmann, one of the city fathers. It was destroyed, but rebuilt in 1456 under the auspices of Georg Zülsdorf. It was from here that on November 28th, 1518, Martin Luther appealed to Pope Leo X to . . . — — Map (db m69717) HM
Workshop on the Campus
The courtyard complex at Schlossstraße 1 is a place of art, culture and education.
Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1518, which was described as the largest within the city walls, for use as his home . . . — — Map (db m69719) HM
Workshop on the Campus
The renovation of the Cranach-Hof was continued and completed as part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010.
Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1512, along with a license . . . — — Map (db m69893) HM
Youth on the Campus
The renovation of the former deanery and its conversion into a youth hostel is part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010 in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
The deanery was built at the same time . . . — — Map (db m69846) HM
Maler zu Wittenberg, wie er sich selbst stets geschrieben, wurde 1472 zu Kronach in Franken geboren, kam 1504 nach Wittenberg, kaufte 1520 diese Apotheke, war von 1537 bis 1544 Burgermeister und starb am 16. October 1553 in Weimar. . . . — — Map (db m69718) HM
The members of the union "New Jungfernröhrwasser", including Caspar Pfreundt und Christoff Niemeck, commissioned the construction of this water main in 1559. At the start there were 19 members. The water was taken from the spring area to the . . . — — Map (db m69874) HM
Ich rede von Deinen Zeuguissen vor Königen
und schäme mich nicht.
Dem Lehrer Deutschlands die evangelische kirche.
König Wilhelm legte den Grundstein als Prinz-Regent den 19 April 1860 . . . — — Map (db m69871) HM
The members of the union "Old Jungfernröhrwasser", including Lucas Cranach the Younger and Hans Lufft, commissioned the construction of these water mains in 1556.
There were 20 members at the start. The water was taken from the spring area to . . . — — Map (db m70033) HM
The Augusteum was built between 1564 and 1586 under the auspices of August I., Elector of Saxony. This building fulfilled various purposes for the Leucorea, Wittenberg's University. It was used as the medical faculty's institute for anatomy, as . . . — — Map (db m69999) HM
In 1512, the Electoral Chancellor and Wittenberg mayor Christian Beyer built a two-story house here. Around the middle of the 16th Century, the summer courtyard garden which can be reached through the arched gate was created. A third story was . . . — — Map (db m69895) HM
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place was the Castle Gate in 1508. In front of this gate was the Castle suburb. In 1805, Alexander I., Emperor of Russia, was in . . . — — Map (db m69888) HM
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place in 1508 was the Elbe Gate. In front of this gate was the Elbe suburb.
In 1829 the Princess Auguste of Saxony-Weimar came . . . — — Map (db m70145) HM
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place in 1508 was the Elster Gate. In front of this gate was the Elster suburb.
On February 22, 1546, the body of Martin Luther . . . — — Map (db m70143) HM
In 1502 Elector Frederick the Wise founded the old Wittenberg University under the name "Leucorea" as the first sovereign university. The Pope acknowledged it in 1507. Martin Pollich von Mellerstedt, the Elector's personal physician, was the . . . — — Map (db m69969) HM
The Luther House was originally a monastery built for Augustinian Hermits between 1504 and 1507. Martin Luther entered the monastery as a monk in 1508. The monastery was dispersed in 1522 during the course of the Reformation Movement.
The . . . — — Map (db m70054) HM
This building was erected in 1536 for Philipp Schwarzerdt, one of the most significant German humanists and reformers, better known as Philipp Melanchthon. Melanchthon's family owned the house until 1604.
The three-storeyed gabled house has . . . — — Map (db m69974) HM
Education on the Campus
The alterations to the Wilhelm Weber House as part of International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010 are creating a place for dialogue between academia, business, politics and the public. The building . . . — — Map (db m69829) HM
Wittenberg's Water-Piping System
a technical monument from the 16th century
1n 1556 a group of distinguished local residents (Hieronymus Krapp, Christoff Kelner, Hans Lufft, Lucas Cranach, Caspar Pfreundt, Conradt Rühel and Christoff . . . — — Map (db m69913) HM