Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wood County Ohio Historical Markers

 
County of Wood Marker (<i>wide view; marker is mounted on side of front entry arch</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2018
County of Wood Marker (wide view; marker is mounted on side of front entry arch)
Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — County of Wood — Created February 12, 1820 - Named for — Colonel Eleazer Derby Wood
Born 1788 New York City. Killed in combat September 1814. West Point Graduate 1806. As Military Engineer Helped build Castle Williams, N.Y. and Ft. Norfolk Va. Honored by naming of Fort Wood in New York Harbor and monument at West Point. He . . . — Map (db m120920) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — 2-87 — First Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Elder Oliver Mears organized on February 8, 1862 in a tent on this spot, then a walnut grove owned by William Lovett, the Lovett's Grove Seventh-day Adventist Church, first of this denomination in Ohio. A Frame building erected in 1864 served the . . . — Map (db m95491) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — Lunatic House 1885
Prior to 1885, a wooden building with rooms overlooking a hog pen had been used to house the insane patients. It was in such poor condition, however, that the infirmary director would not be responsible for anything that might happen to patients . . . — Map (db m100756) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — Ridge School 1886-2013
For 127 years, children from Bowling Green learned, laughed, and played on this site as students of the Ridge Street School.

Now dedicated to the outdoor enjoyment of area residents, Ridge Park will continue to be a place where new discoveries . . . — Map (db m100137) HM

Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — The Main Street Historic District
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in May 1987

Bowling Green was first platted in 1835. The Main Street Historic District represents the commercial buildings constructed around Bowling Green's brief "boom era" in the late . . . — Map (db m116992) HM

Ohio (Wood County), Bowling Green — 11-87 — Wood County Infirmary — 1869 - 1971
The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the . . . — Map (db m29188) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Dowling — 1-87 — Lieut. Wilson W. Brown — In Memory of — Ohio Historical Marker
[Marker Front]: In memory of Lieut. Wilson W. Brown, Medal of Honor winner, who is buried here. He joined the famous Andrews Raid to wreck Confederate supply lines. The raiders captured a locomotive, "The General," at Big Shanty, . . . — Map (db m19083) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Grand Rapids — 8-87 — Dominick Labino
This site is dedicated to Dominick Labino, 1910-1987, glass scientist, engineer, artist, and inventor. Credited with 57 patents, Mr. Labino invented pure silica fiber which was used in insulating tiles covering the space shuttle Columbia and the . . . — Map (db m4026) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Grand Rapids — 6-87 — Grand Rapids
This site, at the head of the Great Rapids of the Maumee, has been a major river crossing for centuries. The village was platted in 1833 as Gilead but was overshadowed by rival Providence during the canal era. In 1868 the name Grand Rapids was . . . — Map (db m41973) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Grand Rapids — 4-87 — Providence Historical District
The town of Providence was born, thrived and died with the Miami & Erie Canal. It was platted in 1835 by French trader Peter Manor, swept by fire in 1846, ravaged by cholera in 1854, and finally unincorporated in 1928. Today, only the Irish . . . — Map (db m28397) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Grand Rapids — 5-87 — The Howard Cemetery
Thomas Howard, aged 66, a Revolutionary War Veteran, arrived at the head of the great rapids of the Maumee from New York State in 1822. Three cabins were erected for his family and the families of his two sons Edward and Robert. The first death in . . . — Map (db m4027) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Haskins — 16-87 — John A. Wilson
Born July 25, 1832, near Worthington, Ohio, John Alf Wilson lived at this site. At the age of 29, he enlisted in C. Company, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry under General O.M. Mitchell. General Mitchell consented to a dangerous mission led by John . . . — Map (db m20412) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Hull Prairie — Fort Miamis Reserve/Miltonville — Anthony Wayne Parkway
[North side of Marker]:Fort Miamis Reserve “River tracts 46 and 47 in Township No. 1 United States Reserve” is the official description of the Miltonville location. The “United States Reserve” was the . . . — Map (db m25871) HM
Ohio (Wood County), North Baltimore — 10-87 — North Baltimore / Community Firsts
Side A: North Baltimore Located in southern Wood County, the village of New Baltimore was founded in 1860, with the first plat of twenty-nine acres recorded by B.L. Peters in 1873. Official incorporation occurred February 7, 1876, with the . . . — Map (db m29192) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Otsego — C608 — Maumee Indian Mission — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m25870) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Otsego — The First Presbyterian Mission in the Maumee Valley
On this ground was established In the year 1822 The first Presbyterian Mission In the Maumee Valley ————— Rev. Joseph Badger, Missionary, 1805 - 1812. Rev. Isaac Van Tassell, Its first superintendent, . . . — Map (db m42041) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Pemberville — In Memory of Captain Elihu H. Mason
In Memory of Captain Elihu H. Mason (1831-1896), second Medal of Honor winner, who is buried in this cemetery. In the 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil War, Mr. Mason was on the celebrated Andrews Raid, April 12, 1862, when 18 union . . . — Map (db m19086) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Pemberville — 12-87 — Pemberville Town Hall and Opera House
Completed in 1892 at the height of the region's oil boom, the Pemberville Town Hall followed a late-1800s municipal trend to house many civic functions under one roof. The fire station, jail, and council chambers occupied the ground level, while . . . — Map (db m29189) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Pemberville — 15-87 — William Henry Harrison's Encampment
During the War of 1812, Northwestern Army Commander General William Henry Harrison led troops through northwest Ohio on the way to Detroit and Ft. Malden in Michigan. After the decimation of General James Winchester's division at Frenchtown (Monroe, . . . — Map (db m20429) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 17-87 — 17th Infantry Regiment
[Front Side of Marker]: The 17th Infantry, created by Congress in 1812 and formed with personnel from western states, was the only Regular Army regiment in General James Winchester's column of the Army of the Northwest's campaign to . . . — Map (db m28203) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 14-87 — Amos Spafford / Perrysburg
[Front Side of Marker]: "Amos Spafford" In 1810, early settlers here were Major Amos Spafford (1753-1818), his wife Olive (1756-1823), and their children Samuel, Aurora , Chloe (Mrs. Almon Gibbs), and Anna (Mrs. Richard Craw). In 1796, . . . — Map (db m28274) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 7-87 — Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons
[Front Side of Marker]: "Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons" Settlers and soldiers moving west brought with them familiar institutions such as the Masonic Lodge. Here at Camp Meigs, military officers were authorized by Ohio . . . — Map (db m28346) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — C — Clay's Landing — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m94017) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry — "We Have Met The Enemy And They Are Ours"
The original of this monument to Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813, was created in marble in 1860 by New York Sculptor William Walcutt for the City of Cleveland. When that City had the statues cast in bronze, . . . — Map (db m29592) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs — 1813
[Marker Front]: Fort Meigs 1813 [Marker Reverse]: In recognition of the services of the gallant men who defended their country on this spot. — Map (db m19267) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs / Construction
Construction on Fort Meigs began in February 1813. Soldiers traveling to Fort Meigs passed through the Great Black Swamp, a nearly impenetrable morass 40 miles across and 120 miles wide south of the fort. The harsh winter weather and frontier . . . — Map (db m42090) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs / Introduction 1 — The War of 1812
Fort Meigs was built during the early days of the War of 1812. The United States began the conflict by declaring war against England in June 1812 to redress insults suffered on the high seas including the impressment of American sailors; to protect . . . — Map (db m42062) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs / Introduction 2 — Was in the West
While Easterners were more concerned with diplomatic issues relating to Europe, the war west of the Appalachian Mountains took on a different character. The war in the West was a continuation of a long series of Indian wars dating back to the 1750s. . . . — Map (db m42064) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs / Introduction 3 — Early Defeats
The war in the West had gone poorly for the United States. In August 1812, Gen. William Hull surrendered Detroit and his entire army to the British. On January 22, 1813, a second United States army led by James Winchester was defeated at French Town . . . — Map (db m42067) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Fort Meigs / Introduction 4 — To the Rapids
American soldiers commanded by William Henry Harrison had been following Winchester with supplies and garrison troops. After learning of the French Town defeat, they fell back to the Portage River in Ohio. On February 1, 1813, Harrison advanced to . . . — Map (db m42068) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 21-87 — Fort Meigs Union Cemetery
Front Side The village of Perrysburg was founded in 1816 and Wood County in 1820. In 1822 the town established a village cemetery and located it on the southwest corner of West Indiana at Cherry Streets. By 1848 it was full and a new . . . — Map (db m67524) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — General William Henry Harrison
General William Henry Harrison, commander of the Army of the West, selected this site in February 1813, and on it erected Fort Meigs as a defense against the military operations of the English, with whom the United States was then at war. On . . . — Map (db m19271) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — History Happened Here
You are standing on "Corn Cob Hill" where corn was once shelled, weighed and and lowered in hopper cars into a grain elevator below, thence onto ships. Under the bridge to the left is the foot of the rapids where non-native settlement started in . . . — Map (db m29448) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — Major Amos Stoddard — 1762 - 1813
Wounded May 1, 1813, on the opening day of the siege of Fort Meigs. Died May 11 of tetanus; buried May 12 in front of the "Grand Battery" on the spot where he received the wound that caused his death. A native of Connecticut, Major Stoddard . . . — Map (db m29423) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 3-87 — Old Wood County Jail — 1847-1870
Built in 1847, during the Presidency of Polk, when Perrysburg was the County Seat, and used as the Jail and Infirmary until 1870. Continued to serve as the Perrysburg Jail until 1899, sold by the town in 1918. Acquired and restored by Mr. and Mrs. . . . — Map (db m67525) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 20-87 — Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map
[West Side of Marker] : "Perrysburg" Following the War of 1812, settlers reestablished the 1810 Maumee River town, Port Miami of Lake Erie, on the land below the deserted Fort Meigs. The inhabitants nicknamed the new town "Orleans of . . . — Map (db m29579) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — The Indian Wars — 1790–1795
When American Pioneers attempted to settle the area north and west of the Ohio River, following the Ordinance of 1787,the Indians aided by the British in Canada, fought valiantly and fiercely for their homes in the Ohio Country. It required the . . . — Map (db m996) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — 13-87 — The Maumee and Western Reserve Road / Turnpike Milestones — Ohio Historical Marker
[Front Side]: "The Maumee and Western Reserve Road" Sandusky Street (U.S. Highway 20) is the former Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike. Native American tribes northwest of the Ohio River ceded the right of way for this 46-mile road . . . — Map (db m21930) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — A125 — to Brady's Island / to Fort Miami — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison's March
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on West Side : Harrison's March • 1813 - - - - - 28 Miles to Brady's Island Text on East Side : Harrison's March • 1813 - - - - . . . — Map (db m93477) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — A122 — to Dudley's Massacre / to Portage Stockade — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison-Hull-Tupper Marches
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on South Side : Harrison-Hull-Tupper 1812 • Marches • 1813 - - - - - 6 Miles to Dudley's Massacre Text on North Side : . . . — Map (db m93456) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — A123 — to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison-Hull-Tupper Marches
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on South Side : Harrison-Hull-Tupper 1812 • Marches • 1813 - - - - - ½ Mile to Fort Meigs <———— Text on North . . . — Map (db m93521) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — A124 — to Fort Stephenson / to Fort Meigs — Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison's March 1813
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on East Side : Harrison's March - 1813 - - - - - ½ Mile to Fort Meigs Text on West Side : Harrison's March - 1813 - - - - - . . . — Map (db m76976) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — A126 — to Whittaker's Reserve / to Dudley's Massacre — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Harrison's March
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on West Side : Harrison's March • 1813 - - - - - 25 Miles to Whittaker's Reserve Text on East Side : Harrison's March • 1813 - - . . . — Map (db m93495) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Portage — C — Portage Stockade — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m37849) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Tontogany — 19-87 — Custer Homestead
Near this site stood the former Custer Homestead of Emanuel and Maria Custer from 1856-1865. For two years it was the boyhood home of Captain Tom Custer, younger brother of famed General George Armstrong Custer. At age 16, Tom misled a recruiter in . . . — Map (db m20439) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Tontogany — Wood County's First Masonic Lodge
April 29, 1843. Wood County's first Masonic Lodge formed and met at this site.

February 18, 1921 Wood County Lodge #112 F & A.M. moved to 159 N. Main St. in Bowling Green, Ohio. — Map (db m98844) HM

Ohio (Wood County), West Millgrove — Perry Center
1876 Perry Center 1946 (map on front, text on reverse) When the state of Ohio was chartered, it mandated that every township set aside land for schools.The result was the classic one room schoolhouses that were built in the mid to last half of . . . — Map (db m100786) HM

47 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.