On the morning of March 23, 1950, an Air Force B-50 Bomber on a routine training mission, exploded and crashed north of the communities of Dateland and Hyder AZ. Two of the 14 crewman on board, Capt. John H. Lee and 1st. Lt. William T. Gentry, . . . — — Map (db m28936) HM
Datelan Army Air Field was established here January 1, 1943. The site was chosen due to the availability of water and the adjacent location of the Yuma Gunnery Range. Construction was completed June 1, 1943. Datelan AAF was a sub-base of Yuma Army . . . — — Map (db m78545) HM
Camps Hyder & Horn were established 10 miles north of Dateland in the fall of 1943. They were 2 of 15 desert camps built to harden and train United States Troops for service in World War II. The Desert Training Center was a simulated theater of . . . — — Map (db m78546) HM
Robert J Vilella
Paul M. West
Earl S. Smith
James J. DeCarlo
Clyde B. Slayton
Arden . . . — — Map (db m28937) HM
who carved this farm out of the desert. We, the Wellton-Mohawk Valley Kiwanis Club, dedicate this spot. Here on May 1, 1952 Michael W. Straus, United States Commissioner of Reclamation turned the first water on to lands of the Wellton-Mohawk . . . — — Map (db m28967) HM
In memory of
the inmates, who lost their life
while serving their sentence, at the
Arizona Territorial Prison at Yuma
Aldrete, Simon Alejandra Alveres, Thomas Armbula, Tomas Arnett, William Arvizu, Gregorio Baca, Antonio . . . — — Map (db m51636) HM
Camp Laguna operated from April 1942 to April 1944. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to train United States troops during World War II.
The Desert Training Center, a simulated theater of operations, included . . . — — Map (db m29061) HM
In 1863 Jacob Snively, founder of Gila City, and right hand to Sam Houston, avenger of the Alamo, following blazes left on the saguaros by Mexican and Conquistador predecessors, came to Castle Dome, and within 15 years, Castle Dome Citys population . . . — — Map (db m48924) HM
In 1859, steamboat entrepreneur George Alonzo Johnson built a riverside home for his bride, Estefana Alvarado. Now known as the Commanding Officer's Quarters, the home is believed to be Arizona's oldest Anglo-built adobe building. In the devastating . . . — — Map (db m28999) HM
Construction on this adobe home on Madison Avenue began in the 1870's. Pioneer merchant E. F. Sanguinetti purchased the two-room house with its lean-to kitchen in 1890. The building, gardens, and aviaries were developed by Sanguinetti who resided . . . — — Map (db m28971) HM
Early day route from Sonora to California over the path taken by Father Eusebio Kino in 1700 when he sought to discover if California was part of the American mainland. The parched desert along this route has claimed hundreds of lives, particularly . . . — — Map (db m83418) HM
This is the point of discovery for the Flora Temple Mine. In the early 1870s, a Colorado River steamboat captain named Isaac Polthamus purchased the Flora Temple Mine. This mine was the 2nd patented claim in Arizona (1871). Polthamus and his . . . — — Map (db m91925) HM
Built by John Gandolfo, this brick landmark served as a 635 seat theater and vaudeville house, a WW II USO canteen and was a center of community activity from 1917 to 1950. The third floor ballroom was destroyed by fire in 1925.
Dedicated . . . — — Map (db m28987) HM
John Ghiotto, native of Genoa, came to Yuma in 1890 to work in the Gandolfo store. He went into business for himself and had a chain of four small groceries. His brick home is typical of middle class housing of this period.
Dedicated December . . . — — Map (db m29004) HM
The building is an example of Moderne/Art Deco Style. It served as headquarters for Hollywood stars throughout the 1930 and 40's and was the center of Yuma's social life until 1960.
Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma
for the . . . — — Map (db m29006) HM
125th Anniversary of the Founding
Immaculate Conception Parish
1866 – 1991
Celebrated on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 8, 1991
Most Rev. Manuel D. Moreno, D.D.
Bishop of . . . — — Map (db m29024) HM
Senator Giss was born February, 1906, in Minneapolis, Minn. and moved to Arizona in 1937. Being a concerned individual for Arizona's future, Senator Giss entered politics. He served as a member of the Arizona House of Representatives for two years . . . — — Map (db m28986) HM
During World War II, the Yuma proving ground of the United States Army Corps of Engineers was known as the Yuma Test Branch, which was used as a floating-bridge test facility. By 1944, more allied troop support was needed to conduct the bridge tests . . . — — Map (db m29059) HM
Designed in the Modernistic/Art Deco style, it retains its original design and use as a lodge. Freemasonry in Yuma began in 1900. Lodge #17 was formed in November, 1901.
Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma for the preservation of our . . . — — Map (db m29022) HM
Mounted on back of monument
Mormon Battalion Crossing
This monument marks the approximate site of the crossing of the Colorado River by the Mormon Battalion on 10 and 11 January 1847.
The Mormon Battalion consisted of 500 . . . — — Map (db m62011) HM
This turn of the century adobe is an example of middle-class housing in Yuma. It is also a fine example of the Anglicized Sonoran style building tradition.
Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma
for the preservation of our heritage. . . . — — Map (db m29003) HM
In 1913 after strong campaigning from the citizens of Yuma, Representative Carl Hayden secured funding for this bridge. When completed, it was the only highway bridge across the Colorado River for 1,200 miles. It was partially funded by the Office . . . — — Map (db m46786) HM
This adobe building was constructed in 1872 as an office for the Fort Yuma Quartermaster Depot. It replaced a room in a corner of the depot storehouses where, according to Captain J. G. C. Lee, Quartermaster, ". . .the noise of the arrivals and . . . — — Map (db m29000) HM
A steam pump located at the edge of the river propelled muddy Colorado River water through pipes to an elevated holding tank constructed of local rock and mortar with a wood shingle roof to decrease evaporation. Sediment fell to the bottom of the . . . — — Map (db m29001) HM
On October 25, 1911, pioneer aviator Robert Grant Fowler touched down on this site, becoming the first person to land an airplane in Arizona under its own power. A native Californian, he had departed Los Angles October 19, and completed aviation . . . — — Map (db m29018) HM
Wooden coaches were built around 1875 by Southern Pacific Railroad shops in Sacramento, California, and were used for passenger service in the railroad's southern division.
In 1913, this car was converted for railroad maintenance and was then . . . — — Map (db m29002) HM
The best preserved 19th century brick building in Yuma. One of the few structures to survive the flood of 1916. Across the street from the Southern Pacific Roundhouse, it offered groceries, sundries, and a saloon for railroad employees. . . . — — Map (db m29019) HM
Longest Sustained March in U.S. Military History, 1846-1847.
Between 1846 and 1848, the United States and Mexico went to war. One of the major directives of the United States during this war was to secure its western border and to occupy . . . — — Map (db m22686) HM
This early commercial block was built by Jose Maria Venegas as a storehouse/dry goods outlet. The sheltered arcade is typical of southwest design of the period. The family also owned the Yuma Steam laundry in this neighborhood.
Dedicated . . . — — Map (db m29005) HM
In January 1943 the Yuma Test Branch of the Engineer Board of the Corps of Engineers commenced test operations on fixed and floating bridges at Imperial Dam. Tests were conducted in both sluiceways as well as above and below the dam. Transportation . . . — — Map (db m29058) HM
Built in classic Spanish Colonial Revival style on high ground overlooking the Colorado River, it has served as the traditional seat of municipal government.
Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma for the preservation of our heritage. . . . — — Map (db m28985) HM
From 1850 to 1877 all travelers crossing the Colorado River used the ferry. Several operated between the mouth of the Gila River and Pilot Knob. Steamboats arrived on the river in 1850 and the first railroad bridge was built in 1877. — — Map (db m29015) HM
Yuma Crossing, used since prehistoric times, played a significant part in the development of the West and continues to influence the affairs of the state and the nation. The Yuma City-County Bicentennial Commission in the spring of 1974 conceived . . . — — Map (db m28984) HM