Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Related Historical Markers

King William Historic District
 
Marker detail: Edward Steves House image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy: San Antonio Conservation Society Foundation
Marker detail: Edward Steves House
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 18172 — Alfred Giles House
Alfred Giles is remembered as a major architect who designed many edifices throughout Texas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Born in 1853 in Hillingdon, Middlesex County, England, Giles spent his early days as an architect's . . . — Map (db m118800) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 18355 — Biesenbach House
A German immigrant, August Biesenbach (1848-1915) and his wife, Louisa (1852-1916), began construction of this house in 1880. The walls of the house are stucco over brick with a hipped roof and Gothic Revival details. From 1910 to 1955, the house . . . — Map (db m118875) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Carl Hilmar Guenther House
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department of the Interior 1990 — Map (db m118878) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 2287 — Carl Wilhelm August Groos House
One of the founders of the Groos National Bank, Carl W. Goos (1830-1893) came to Texas from Germany in 1848. The Groos home, designed by Alfred Giles, was built in 1880 by John H. Campmann. Porch detailing on the Victorian residence reveals . . . — Map (db m118893) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Edward Steves HomesteadBuilt 1876
Given in 1952 by his granddaughter, Edna Steves Vaughan, and her husband, Curtis T. Vaughan. Owned, restored and maintained as a house museum by the San Antonio Conservation Society. — Map (db m118861) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 15407 — Elias and Lucy Edmonds House
Former Confederate officer and Virginia state legislator Elias Edmonds married Lucy Noyes Hall in 1871, and they moved to San Antonio that year. In 1877, they built one of the first houses in the King William neighborhood. Elias was a successful . . . — Map (db m118798) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 16997 — Gustav Blersch House
This house is one of three standing antebellum structures in the King William Historic District. Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and . . . — Map (db m118909) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — King William Neighborhood
The river followed an irregular course through the town center and irrigated the lower farmlands of Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) to the south. After the mission was secularized 1793, the surrounding fields were distributed to . . . — Map (db m118908) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3615 — Norton-Polk-Mathis House
This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio de Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. House grew with additions of a second story, Victorian . . . — Map (db m118892) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5117 — Old Edward Steves House
Excellent example of lavish Victorian architecture of late 1800s. Built in 1874 by German immigrant Edward Steves, founder of a family prominent in city financial and social circles. Stuccoed limestone exterior walls are 13" thick. The . . . — Map (db m118860) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4595 — Sartor House
Designed by prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this home was built in 1881 for Alexander Sartor, Jr. A native of Germany, Sartor came to San Antonio in the mid-nineteenth century and established a jewelry business. After he sold the . . . — Map (db m118886) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3680 — The Oge House
One of early stone residences of San Antonio. First floor and basement were built as early as 1857 when place was owned by Attorney Newton A. Mitchell and wife Catherine (Elder). Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating . . . — Map (db m118910) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.