On the marsh near this point borax was discovered in 1881 by Aaron Winters who later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco. In 1882 Coleman built the Harmony Borax Works and commissioned his superintendent J. W. S. Perry, to design . . . — — Map (db m123896) HM
This is one of the original twenty mule team wagons, built to carry borax out of Death Valley – through 165 miles of desolated mountains and blistering deserts – to the nearest railroad junction in Mojave. It took 20 days to make the . . . — — Map (db m123897) HM
From 1883 to 1889, wagons hauled borax along this road 165 miles from Death Valley to Mohave. The route was laid out by J.W.S. Perry. He and a muleskinner named Ed Stiles designed the wagons to carry the heavy loads to the rail depot.
The wagon . . . — — Map (db m123893) HM
Just west of this point was the Southern Pacific terminus for the Twenty-Mule-Team Borax wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from 1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining Company works, later acquired by the Pacific . . . — — Map (db m123891) HM
This community long served as a supply point and railhead for the mines of Death Valley and Calico. In the early 1880's the first borax produced in Death Valley was hauled by mule team to the Atlantic & Pacific R.R. (later the Santa Fe) at Daggett. . . . — — Map (db m78568) HM