The grindstones lining this street were used by the early mills operating in the 1800’s.
The mills were located in the entire area of the falls on the La Chute River.
They were salvaged by Vincent Strebe and erected in 1978.
. . . — — Map (db m125100) HM
The La Chute River supplied more than power for the mills. It also connected to Lake Champlain and the wider world. People and goods traveled much more easily by water than by land, so the corridor formed by Lake Champlain, Lake George and the . . . — — Map (db m125180) HM
The waters of Lake George falling over Bicentennial Falls today form a pretty backdrop for Bicentennial Park. For more than two hundred years this waterfall also produced power. Beginning with a French sawmill in 1756, soldiers, later followed by . . . — — Map (db m125183) HM
The waterfall in front of you spans only half of its original width. The left half disappeared long ago into Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company (later, International Paper Company) penstocks. The remainder of the waterfall fed both the American . . . — — Map (db m125185) HM
In 1756 the French erected a mill on the river opposite this spot for sawing and preparing timbers used in Fort Carillon, renamed Fort Ticonderoga when captured by General Amherst in 1759.
General Abercromby used the saw mill as his headquarters . . . — — Map (db m125190) HM