Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Related Historical Markers

Camp Allegheney by markers.
 
Campaign and Trail Site Map image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
Campaign and Trail Site Map
Virginia (Highland County), Hightown — Camp Allegheny Confederate Outpost
Two miles west on the former Staunton-to-Parkersburg Turnpike is Camp Allegheny, the highest Civil War fortification east of the Mississippi. Its rolling meadows and spectacular views belie a punishing winter climate. The turnpike was completed in . . . — Map (db m32880) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Bartow — Camp Allegheny
Confederate forces led by Col. Edward Johnson held a fortified camp here in winter of 1861-62. Sharp attack occurred, Dec. 13, 1861, in which the Union troops under Gen. Robert Milroy were beaten off. — Map (db m32890) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Bartow — The First Campaign Civil War Begins in the Mountains of (West) Virginia The First Campaign —
West Virginia, born of a nation divided, was the setting for the first campaign of America's Civil War. Although still part of Virginia in 1861, many citizens of the west remained loyal to the Union, rather than the Confederacy. By late May, Union . . . — Map (db m32889) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Bartow — Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike Crossing the Mountains
Early in the 1800s, growing western settlement spured a push to improve transportation routes over the Appalachian Mountains. In 1822, Virginia authorized a survey of the route that became the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike. Connecting the upper . . . — Map (db m32884) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Bartow — Camp Allegheny 1861-1862
Camp Allegheny, also known as Camp Baldwin and Camp Johnson, was constructed in the summer of 1861 by Confederate forces in order to control the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike. (present day Pocahontas County Route 3). Following the October 3, 1861 . . . — Map (db m32895) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement