Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Historical Markers with The Preservation Society of Charleston in Erected By

 
54 King Street Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud
54 King Street Marker
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 54 King Street — The James Brown House Circa 1768
The James Brown House is situated on a portion of Lot Number 82 of the Grand Modell, the city plan for Charleston that was developed in 1670. The lot was originally granted by the Lords Proprietors on June 12, 1694 to John Frowman, a butcher, for . . . — Map (db m47899) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 55 Ashley Avenue   The Baker House
The Baker House was constructed in 1912 as the Baker-Craig Sanitarium. This sixty-bed hospital and nursing school was founded by Dr. Archibald E. Baker Sr. and Dr. Lawrence Craig. The Baker House was designed by John D. Newcomer and Ernest V. . . . — Map (db m51630) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 69 Ashley Avenue    Eli Gedding House
circa 1860 This three story late Regency Style Single House was constructed circa 1860 by prominent Charleston physician Eli Geddings. In 1825, Geddings became the first graduate of the Medical College in Charleston, now known as the Medical . . . — Map (db m51657) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8-10 Tradd Street — The Lamboll Double Tenement
circa 1726 rebuilt 1781 The masonary structure of this double residence was constructed by Charleston merchant Thomas Lamboll circa 1726. The date of construction is based on surviving land grants showing the establishment of common use alleys . . . — Map (db m62151) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 95 Ashley Avenue — Mayor William A. Courtnay House
circa 1840
The construction of this circa 1840 three-and-a half story single house is attributed to Charleston cotton planter and factor Theodore D. Jervey. The house was built in the Greek Revival style but was altered in 1886 by William Ashmead . . . — Map (db m51725) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Col. Othneil Beale's House — 99 - 101 East Bay — C. 1723 - 1740 —
Othneil Beale, sea Captain from New England, Colonel of Provincial Troops, Engineer, Successful merchant, built this house about 1740, with ground floors for mercantile use, and living rooms above Finely Cypress Paneled. The previous owners, . . . — Map (db m19665) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Colonel John Stuart House — circa 1767
National Historic Landmark Born 1718, Inverness, Stuart was related to Scottish Royality. Educated in London, he circumnavigated the globe aboard Centurion, Adm. Lord Anson commanding, capturing the Spanish treasure . . . — Map (db m48065) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Dr. Joseph Johnson House   — 56 Society Street — circa 1840 —
This substantial three-story Greek Revival Period Charleston single house is constructed of stucco-covered brick and features a two-tiered piazza with Tuscan columns and turned balusters, piazza screen and entrance door complete with pilasters, . . . — Map (db m51485) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Dr. William Cleland's House — circa 1732
This early Georgian single house was apparently built by George Ducat, a shipwright, for his daughter Margaret, on her second marriage in 1732, to Dr. William Cleland, of Crail, Scotland. This section of Tradd Street is one of the few within the . . . — Map (db m39321) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Edgar Wells House — circa 1730
In the 1780s, it was owned and occupied by Dr. George Hahnbaum, physician to the German fusiliers and later a founder of the Medical Society of South Carolina. The trajectory of a cannon ball can be traced through the timbers of . . . — Map (db m47970) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Glover - Sottile House
C. 1775 and 1826 This splendid mansion was built in 1826 by Dr. Joseph Glover, a noted Charleston physician, utilizing the service wing of an older house of about 1775. In 1906 it was purchased by the Cavaliere Giovanni Sottile, . . . — Map (db m51308) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Harth-Middleton House — c. 1797
John Harth, planter and lumber merchant, built this handsome house at his lumber yards, then at the end of the south bay, in 1797. In 1816, he sold the house to Henry Augustus Middleton, who enlarged it, and whose family continued to own it until . . . — Map (db m39312) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — I. Jenkins Mikell House — c. 1854
This is one of the last grand antebellum houses of Charleston built by Edisto Island cotton planter, I. Jenkins Mikell. He adopted design sophistication and colour of an Italian villa unusual in Charleston. Notice the . . . — Map (db m54714) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Jacob Motte House — circa 1731
Standing on land bought from Robert Tradd, which was part of lot 60 of "Grand Modell" of 1672. Early Georgian house built by Jacob Motte, prominent Huguenot and one time royal treasurer of province. Original paneling from second floor living room is . . . — Map (db m39320) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — John McKee House — CC 1796
Built on Lot No. 213 as shown on the "Grand Model" was owned and occupied in the late 18th century by John McKee, early Charleston brick mason. — Map (db m47966) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Judge Robert Pringle House
1774 A Private Residence The builder of this outstanding handsome "single" house was a native of Scotland, an eminent merchant of Charleston, and a provincial lay judge who helped to open the Revolution by resisting the Stamp Act. His . . . — Map (db m47950) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Miles Brewton House
Outstanding example of Georgian architecture in America. Built between 1765 and 1769 by Miles Brewton, Revolutionary patriot, with designs of Ezra Waite, architect. Inherited 1775 by Brewton’s sister, Rebecca Motte, Revolutionary heroine, in whose . . . — Map (db m47969) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Parker Drayton House — circa 1800
Isacc Parker built the original house about 1800 when the waterside of the Ashley River lay along the garden. Colonel William Drayton greatly enlarged the house after 1816, and decorated in the Adam style from 1837 to 1899. Home of the notable . . . — Map (db m50240) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Tabby Seawall Remnants — 18 - 22 Limehouse Street
A network of seawalls constructed of tabby, a locally made mixture of crushed oyster shells, sand and lime based mortar, was constructed in the 18th and 19th century along the Charleston waterfront. This system of seawalls was constructed to . . . — Map (db m48295) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements — 51-53 Tradd Street — circa 1736 —
This Georgian double-tenement is located on part of lot number 60 of the Grand Modell, a city plan developed between 1670-1680. Lot number 60 was granted originally to Robert Tradd, after whose family Tradd Street is named. The property was . . . — Map (db m39323) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The George Ducat House — 56 Tradd Street — circa 1740 —
Charleston shipbuilder George Ducat constructed this two-story Charleston single house shortly after purchasing the property in 1739. The house is a rare surviving example of a Charleston residence constructed partly of Bermuda stone, a coral . . . — Map (db m39324) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The John Blake House — 58 South Battery — circa 1800 —
The John Blake House was constructed circa 1800 by Blake, a captain in the Continental Army, member of the South Carolina General Assembly, and president of the Bank of South Carolina. The Blake House is constructed of cypress and heart pine on a . . . — Map (db m39311) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Reverend Paul Trapier Gervais House — circa 1835
This notable three and one half story single house is situated on lot number 233 of the Grand Modell as granted by the Lords Proprietors in 1694. This remains one of the largest residential lots in the city. The present house was built by the . . . — Map (db m48056) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The William Vanderhorst House — 54 Tradd Street (Postmaster Bacot House) — circa 1740 —
Constructed circa 1740 by William Vanderhorst, this three story stuccoed masonry structure is considered one of the earliest examples of Charleston single house. A notable aspect of the building is the absence of a piazza, a development found in . . . — Map (db m39326) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Lamboll House 19 King Street — Circa 1739
This Georgian style residence, attributed to architect and master builder Thomas Lee, was built for Colonial Judge Thomas Lamboll c. 1739. The current Greek Revival piazzas were added c. 1845. The Lamboll Lands included numerous holdings in an area . . . — Map (db m48151) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Timothy Ford's House — circa 1800 — A Private Residence —
Timothy Ford, a native of Morristown, New Jersey, Princeton educated attorney who as a youth served in the American Revolution, built this fine Charleston single house in the Adamesque style. Ford entertained the Marquis de Lafayette here on the . . . — Map (db m39318) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Harvey House — 58 Meeting Street — circa 1770 —
This three-story, stucco-over brick building was constructed circa 1770 on Town Lot No. 60 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town by merchant and planter William Harvey. It was the western half of a double tenement (18th century term denoting rental . . . — Map (db m39314) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement