Built of adobe bricks in 1876, this is the third oldest surviving building at Fort Apache. Originally the Adjutant's Office (administrative office) of the post, it also served variously as post headquarters, military Post Office, telegraph office, . . . — — Map (db m36799) HM
The Club House was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in 1930 to provide housing and kitchen facilities for unmarried teachers employed at the Theodore Roosevelt School. The building was later converted to a clubhouse for use by the school . . . — — Map (db m36784) HM
These ruins represent the last surviving enlisted men's barracks, on the east end of Barracks Row. Much like Officer's Row defined the north side of the Parade Ground, Barracks Row made up the south side. This adobe barracks was one of two completed . . . — — Map (db m36874) HM
Throughout the military history of Fort Apache, enlisted men were housed with their units to the south of Officers' Row. The first company quarters, completed in February 1871, were 18 by 20 foot log squad huts built in rows running north and south . . . — — Map (db m36807) HM
The Boys' Dormitory was constructed in 1932. Located on the east end of the fort's Parade Ground, it is on the site of earlier military structures including a telegraph office. Sandstone was quarried for the building's construction from a site about . . . — — Map (db m36875) HM
An 1891 fire, sparked by a defective chimney and fanned by high winds, destroyed five sets of wood frame officers' quarters that had been constructed in this area between 1883 and 1886.
Using sandstone quarried just east of the Fort, these two . . . — — Map (db m36779) HM
A classic Victorian mansion, this building clearly represents some of the Army's architectural motivations. Recognizing the difficulties for officers and their families of being assigned to remote posts, the Army built homes such as this one to . . . — — Map (db m36782) HM
Built in 1889 to replace a smaller adobe structure, the Commissary Storehouse served as the Fort's food storage and distribution point until its closure in 1922. A solid building, the storehouse includes a stone cellar that extends three-fourth of . . . — — Map (db m36804) HM
This log cabin is the oldest surviving building at Fort Apache. The westernmost of a series of eight log cabins built in 1871 to form Officers' Row, this cabin was designated the Commanding Officer's Quarters. It was originally an 18 by 20 foot log . . . — — Map (db m36778) HM
During the first decade of the Theodore Roosevelt School, girls were housed in the old fort hospital. Since the old barracks that housed the boys was inadequate, a new boys' dormitory was scheduled for construction in 1931. Before that construction . . . — — Map (db m36878) HM
This stone guard house was built around 1891 to replace the earlier, bed-bug infested structure still standing about 300 feet to the west of this site. Placed near the original main entrance to the fort, this building provided housing for guards and . . . — — Map (db m36805) HM
Constructed in 1888 in the architectural style of Fort Apache's Officers' Row, these residences housed junior officers or non-commissioned officers and their families.
Like other quarters on the east end of Officers' Row, these residences were . . . — — Map (db m36800) HM
This frame officer's quarters in the only one of seven built between 1883 and 1886 to have survived without significant modifications. Like many of the post's residences, it was built around a large central hallway that runs the length of the house. . . . — — Map (db m36794) HM
These three officers' quarters were constructed between 1883 and 1888 to house junior officers and their families. With clipped-corner porches and symmetrical front elevations, these quarters reflect the architectural style established by the . . . — — Map (db m36796) HM
The first guardhouse at Fort Apache was built of logs and located on this site. In 1876, this stone building – the second oldest surviving structure on the post – was constructed to replace the original log structure. It was replaced as . . . — — Map (db m36806) HM
This large open field between Officers' Row and the enlisted men's Barracks Row was used by the army for drill practice, training, and review. When called to action, troops would assemble here prior to departure. It also provided a prime location . . . — — Map (db m36781) HM
This stone cafeteria building was constructed in 1948-1949 to serve the students of the Theodore Roosevelt School. It is the last building constructed here that is part of the Fort Apache Historic District. Before the construction of this building, . . . — — Map (db m36877) HM
This house was constructed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs around 1930 to house Theodore Roosevelt School teachers and families. It deviates in style, though not in size, from the typical Officers' Row quarters.
Initially the house had a flat . . . — — Map (db m36803) HM
On January 24, 1923 an act was passed by Congress authorizing the Secretary of the Interior to establish and maintain an Indian boarding school on the site of Fort Apache. The first students were Dine' (Navajo) children brought from the Navajo . . . — — Map (db m36876) HM
The Crook Road begins at this point
with the first in a series of mile markers
across the Mogollon Rim segment of the
military supply trail connecting Forts
Whipple, Verde and Apache. Reconnoitered
in 1871 by General George Crook with a . . . — — Map (db m28561) HM
Under the direction of General George Crook this trail was built in the early 1870's. Starting at Fort Whipple, it winds down to Fort Verde then eastward across the Mogollon Rim to Fort Apache covering 200 miles. It was used as a supply route by . . . — — Map (db m67419) HM
Under the direction of General George Crook this trail was built in the early 1870's. Starting at Fort Whipple, it winds down to Fort Verde then eastward across the Mogollon Rim to Fort Apache covering 200 miles. It was used as a supply route by . . . — — Map (db m67420) HM
Alchesay led his people in war and peace
Alchesay Canyon, to your right, was named for a great leader. Chief Alchesay, born around 1853, was a leader among the White Mountain Apache. Other Apaches looked up to him not only because he . . . — — Map (db m34073) HM
A pioneer wagon road came through this area and went to Fort Apache, established in 1870. Hay, which was delivered to the fort, was one of the few cash crops in those early days. The road is now covered by Rainbow Lake.
Early sheepmen first . . . — — Map (db m36741) HM
25 markers matched your search criteria. These linguistically-based search results have been ranked by where matching words were found. Results of different rank are separated by horizontal rules. Within the same rank, results are sorted by state or province; county, parish or shire; town; and title.