Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Daughters of Utah Pioneers Historical Markers

Markers reflecting primarily Mormon history.
392 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 192
 
Pioneer Public Buildings Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 24, 2010
Pioneer Public Buildings Marker
Arizona (Apache County), St. Johns — 194 — Pioneer Public Buildings
The old "Bowery" was the first place of worship used by the members of the Latter Day Saints Church who came to St. Johns in 1879-1880. The Assembly Hall, located on the northwest corner of the public square was erected in 1882. It was built of logs . . . — Map (db m36586) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — 350 — Lee's Ferry
John D. Lee settled here in Dec. 1872 and established ferry service thirteen months later. After her husband's death, Warren M. Johnson ran the oar-driven ferry for Emma Lee, 1875 to 1879, when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . . . — Map (db m41997) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 532 — Arizona's Honeymoon Trail
For nearly forty years, couples from Arizona settlements left their homes each fall after harvest and traveled 400 miles to St. George, Utah. Winding slowly through desert and steep canyons, crossing barren plateaus, and passing rivers and pools of . . . — Map (db m27552) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — 169 — Mesa
Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert . . . — Map (db m27551) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — 344 — Arizona's Pioneer Women
Before 1875 hundreds of heroic women came to Arizona from the East and South. From this group came Arizona's first schoolteachers and the publisher of the first newspaper. In 1876 a group of pioneer women and their families came from the north, . . . — Map (db m27385) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Joseph City — 173 — The Old Fort
A group of colonists called by Brigham Young, under the leadership of William C. Allen settled here March 24, 1876. They erected a fort of cottonwood logs and mud on this site. It was first known as Allen's Camp. In 1878 the name was changed to St. . . . — Map (db m36386) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Lakeside — 436 — Lakeside
A pioneer wagon road came through this area and went to Fort Apache, established in 1870. Hay, which was delivered to the fort, was one of the few cash crops in those early days. The road is now covered by Rainbow Lake. Early sheepmen first . . . — Map (db m36741) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Show Low — 250 — Showlow Valley Settlement
In 1870 Corydon E. Cooley, a government scout and Marion Clark entered this valley and located ranches. Cooley built a log house on the hill. By 1876 many families came, including Alfred Cluff, David E. Adams, Thomas W. Adair, Heber Dalton and . . . — Map (db m36663) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — 548 — The Settlers of Binghampton, Arizona
The first members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter what is now Arizona were remnants of the Mormon Battalion. They arrived in the Valley of the Tucson Basin December 17, 1847, prepared for battle. However, the Mexican . . . — Map (db m94443) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 490 — Mormon Pioneers / Mormon Pioneer Adobes
[Side A:] Mormon Pioneers Mormon pioneers traveled far in search of a land where they could worship God in an environment of religious tolerance. Named below are some of the pioneers who settled in Washington Township. They sailed . . . — Map (db m28707) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 246 — Pioneer Schoolhouse & Chapel
Approximately one mile west John M. Horner built the first American schoolhouse non-Catholic chapel in Centerville, Alameda County, 1850. Said to be the first Latter Day Saint Chapel in California. A small structure with three windows in the side . . . — Map (db m26629) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — 338 — Tragedy SpringNo 338 — Erected 1967 —
This campsite on the Kit Carson Emigrant Trail was a resting place for California settlers. It was named by members of the Mormon Battalion enroute to Salt Lake Valley. Three of their men, serving as advance trail scouts, were murdered here by . . . — Map (db m21273) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Fort MoorePioneer Memorial and Park
On this site stood Fort Moore built by the Mormon Battalion during the War with Mexico This memorial honors the troops who helped to win the South West. The Flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th 1847 by United . . . — Map (db m128896) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — 240 — Mormon Island
Early in 1848 W. Sidney S. Willis (ES) and Wilford Hudson, members of the Mormon Battalion, set out from Sutter’s Fort to hunt deer. Stopping on the South Fork of the American River, they found gold. They told their story on returning to the Fort . . . — Map (db m17637) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sloughhouse — 382 — Sloughhouse Pioneer Cemetery
Thomas Rhoades (Rhoads) and others left Iowa as an exploring group with permission of Mormon authorities. Traveled with Donner Reed Party from Missouri to Hastings Cut-off. Rhoades, wife, 14 children arrived Sacramento Valley Oct. 1846, first Mormon . . . — Map (db m28297) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 302 — Settlement of San Bernardino
(top-center plaque) In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa M. Lyman, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, left Utah with 437 people "to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California." Jefferson . . . — Map (db m120645) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Mormon Battalion
No. 7 Dedicated in commemoration the heroic sacrifice and history-making achievements of the Mormon Battalion "whose march over 2000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego help to win California for the Union and open a . . . — Map (db m51992) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 60 — Ship Brooklyn
Commemorating the landing at this point of the ship Brooklyn, July 31, 1846. A 370 ton vessel, carrying Mormon Colonists and crew of nearly 300 under the leadership of Samuel Brannan. In the hold was a printing press, 179 books for education . . . — Map (db m72005) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — 437 — The Comet – 1846 – First Sail Launch
First known sail launch to ascend San Joaquin River from San Francisco landed here autumn 1846. Carried 20 Mormon pioneers who founded New Hope agricultural project on the Stanislaus. Yoke of oxen and span of mules driven from Marsh’s Landing . . . — Map (db m143445) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Ripon — 436 — New Hope – 1846First Wheat
Approximately six miles west, 20 Mormon pioneers from ship Brooklyn founded first known agricultural colony in San Joaquin Valley. Planting first wheat; also crops they irrigated by the pole and bucket method. Erected three log houses, operated . . . — Map (db m143447) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — 559 — Cherry Creek CampDouglas County 20 Mile Camp
In 1846 the unsettled area that is now Parker, Colorado, consisted of wild open plains, inhabited only by local Indian tribes and passing trappers and traders. The Crosby-Brown Company, otherwise known as the Mississippi Saints, and detachments of . . . — Map (db m97420) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 156 — L.D.S. Pioneers of Boise
Soon after the discovery of Gold in Northern Idaho (1862) the City of Boise was founded (1863). Its first people were the U.S. Cavalry, Merchants, Mining and Stockmen. Although a few Mormons from Utah had previously lived in this valley, it was not . . . — Map (db m125829) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Arimo — 329 — Oneida Station
An act of Congress, approved April 1878, gave the Utah & Northern Railroad Co. permission to build a narrow gauge line through Marsh Valley. It reached Oneida by July of 1878, where the first station was built. The town attained a population of . . . — Map (db m140074) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Downey — 269 — Pioneer Cabin
This cabin, one of the first built on the Nine Mile Creek in Marsh Valley, was erected by William Jackson and Cyrus Coffin before 1866. Later it was purchased by Abigail Coffin who with her sons, Nathan, Cyrus, and William were among the first . . . — Map (db m140126) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Downey — 287 — Stage Coach Station
In 1874 the Wells-Fargo stage line assigned Wm.A. Tillotson to operate a station in Marsh Valley. where the trail crossed Sage Creek (now Yago Creek). This route skirted the eastern side of the valley and extended from Franklin, Idaho to mining . . . — Map (db m140075) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Inkom — 280 — First School House
Fort Hall Indian Reservation was established by government order July 14, 1867. Following treaties made with the Shoshone Indians in July, 1902 a portion of the reservation was open for white settlement. Homesteaders moved into the beautiful Inkom . . . — Map (db m140282) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Lava Hot Springs — 406 — Lava Hot Springs
Centuries ago the Bannock-Shoshone Indian tribes set aside these natural hot mineral springs as neutral ground for all tribes. Trapper Joseph Miller and party camped here in 1812. By 1863, it was a favorite stop for Oregon Trail travelers. Most . . . — Map (db m140285) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), McCammon — 560 — McCammon Railroad Center
The development of McCammon was closely associated with the transportation industry. William Murphy, in early 1863, built the first toll bridge, and McCammon became the nucleus of the Overland Stage Lines. H.O. Harkness acquired the toll bridge . . . — Map (db m108262) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — 291 — Utah & Northern Railroad
This monument marks the route of the first Idaho railroad. The Utah & Northern narrow gauge was started as a Mormon co-op at Ogden, Utah in 1871. It reached Franklin, Idaho in 1874. Union Pacific interests extended the line to Garrison, Montana . . . — Map (db m125573) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Bloomington — 380 — Bloomington
In Spring 1864 Miranda Campbell and sons, Warren and David; John B. Dunn and family arrived here. Others followed, dug irrigation canals, surveyed townsites into 1 acre lots. By Fall, 40 one-room log homes, also 16 x 20 ft. log schoolhouse with huge . . . — Map (db m140163) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Fish Haven — 294 — Settlement of Fish Haven
The Bear Lake resort town of Fish Haven was founded in 1864. Most of the original settlers moved away, leaving Thomas and William Shirley, Henry Howell, John Stock and their families the first permanent settlers. Joseph C. Rich and John Bagley threw . . . — Map (db m140164) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Georgetown — 410 — Georgetown's First Public Building
In the spring of 1871, Joseph C. Rich surveyed the Twin Creeks area, later called Georgetown. In 1874, logs were hauled from the mountains for this cabin built originally on the corner of the block across the street and one block east and used for . . . — Map (db m140243) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Liberty — 238 — Bear Lake Valley
In 1863 Charles C. Rich with others explored this valley. A group of settlers in eleven wagons traveled through Emigration Canyon in September and founded Paris. Log huts with dirt floors and roofs sheltered 48 men, 40 women, and 30 children during . . . — Map (db m140162) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 9 — A Look at Memory Lane
The pictures below reflect first views of the downtown entering Montpelier from the west in different times in history. Brennan-Davis Building The building was built for Edward Burgoyne by Jacob Tueller and Sons prior to 1899. The . . . — Map (db m90920) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 8 — A Strong Building, Stock Chevys and RailroadMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
Strong Building and Stock Chevrolet This red brick building, note the brickwork circles, was built for Lish Strong by the Tueller brothers of Paris, Idaho. It became known as the Strong Building. Part of the upper level was also used for . . . — Map (db m90911) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 5 — Butch Cassidy Robs the Montpelier BankMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
On the hot afternoon of August 23, 1896, Butch Cassidy with two members of his Wild Bunch Gang, Elza Lay and Bob Meeks, robbed The Bank of Montpelier which was originally located in the building across the street from this sign. The Bank of . . . — Map (db m90877) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 7 — Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big BearMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
Schmid Building Carl (Charles) Schmid, a tailor from Freienstein, Switzerland opened a tailor shop in Montpelier in 1892. He named his business Chas Schmid, The Tailor. He made men's suits and coats and did repairs, alterations and dry . . . — Map (db m90910) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 1 — Downtown Montpelier Historic Walking Tour
Welcome to the Historic Downtown Montpelier Business District on Washington Street! Take a few minutes to enjoy a walking tour filled with interesting information about this area and its place in history. Also, spend a few minutes visiting . . . — Map (db m90878) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 6 — Model T's, Odd Fellows and the NewsMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
Early sheriff and mayor Fred Cruikshank owned the first Model T Ford Agency in 1909. Bear Lake Motors Early sheriff and mayor Fred Locke Cruikshank was the owner of the first Model T Ford Agency in 1909 and closed it down in . . . — Map (db m90908) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 311 — Old Tithing Office
In 1895 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints built this sandstone structure, consisting of three rooms and a basement, to serve the community as a tithing office. When the Montpelier First Ward was divided in 1916, meetings of the new . . . — Map (db m140216) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 66 — Pioneer Church(was located 1/2 block east and 1/2 block north)
In the spring of 1864, fifteen families of pioneers came from Paris, Idaho and settled Clover Creek, the name used until President Brigham Young changed it to Montpelier. After building crude homes the settlers erected a large building of logs, . . . — Map (db m105874) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 4 — Rich Building and TheatreMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
Early Montpelier was well known for its pine trees placed down the center of Washington Street. As U.S. Highway 89 became more popular to the traveling public, the trees were finally cut down amid much discussion throughout the town. Rich . . . — Map (db m90907) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 3 — Ritter Bros. Drug and the Roxy TheatreMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
The streetscape of Montpelier has changed through the years. The early years of this Oregon Trail town began with only horse power including wagons and horseback. Streets were packed dirt with hitching posts. With the advent of the horseless . . . — Map (db m90880) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 2 — The Bank and The BurgoyneMontpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour
Bank of Montpelier's Impact on Local Banking History Residents of Bear Lake county have discussed the Butch Cassidy bank robbery for years with varied endings. Not unlike fishermen's boastings, tales of the exact amount of Butch's loot will . . . — Map (db m90879) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Paris — 289 — Our First Church
Paris, Idaho was settled in the fall of 1863. Two years later a building used for church, school and recreation was erected by James Nye and others, of logs hauled from George Sirrine's sawmill It was 20' X 60' with two large rooms and a stage at . . . — Map (db m105873) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Paris — 441 — Thomas Sleight Cabin
The Thomas Sleight Cabin was built in the fall of 1863 by Thomas Sleight and Charles Atkins, who with their wives, Marianne and Ann, occupied it together during the first winter of the settlement of Paris, Idaho. It was first finished with a dirt . . . — Map (db m105866) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), St. Charles — 211 — St. Charles
In May, 1864 Brigham Young called Swan Arnell, Sr., Charles G. Keetch, Sr., Robert Pope, and Johh Windley with their families to settle here. Soon others followed. Charles Windley was the first child born in the village. The town site was surveyed . . . — Map (db m105869) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Basalt — 373 — Cedar Point - Basalt
In 1879 the U.&N. Railroad Co. named their water stop, Basalt. Henry R. Whitmill settled in Cedar Point in 1884. Andrew O. Inglestrom filed on land, 1885. Others followed, built canal, homes, L.D.S. church house, cheese factory, two stores, saloon, . . . — Map (db m140399) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Blackfoot — 188 — Central Ferry Station
A log structure was erected one half mile north of this site in 1864, which served as a stage station. The Ben Holliday stages use it as a stopping place as did the freighters who passed this way. Mail was unofficially handled here for more than a . . . — Map (db m124480) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Goshen — 199 — Early Settlements
The south part of this area, known as Presto, was settled in 1870 by the Burrell, Just and Shoemaker families. In 1883 the Pritchett family came to Cedar Hollow. Later the Goshen, and the Christensen Monson, Hansen, Jensen, Teeples, Stoddard . . . — Map (db m140400) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Moreland — 458 — Moreland Settlement
Moreland, Bingham County, Idaho, was carved out of flat, sagebrush-covered land inhabited by snakes and jackrabbits. It received its name from a remark made by an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints While visiting the area he . . . — Map (db m140398) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Shelley — 218 — Shelley Settlement
Before the close of 1885 the families of James Mitchell, A.T. Lawrence, Darius Allen, Joshua Adams, Felix, Heber, Frank and Ann Husband, Albert Christiansen and N.G. Mickelson settled here. Soon other followed. These settlers were organized into a . . . — Map (db m140402) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Ammon — 167 — Ammon
This village, first called South Iona, was settled by Latter-day Saints. A branch of the Church was organized Nov. 26, 1889 with Arthur M. Rawson as presiding elder. He later became bishop. On Feb. 12, 1893, the ward name was changed to Ammon, . . . — Map (db m140511) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Gerrand — 527 — Taylor Settlement
Six men came to this area from Hooper, Utah, to homestead in the early spring of 1885: John, Edward and William Priest, Smith Johnson, and Edwin and Abiah Wadsworth Jr. They each built a log house on their claim before returning to Utah for their . . . — Map (db m140509) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 34 — Eagle Rock Meeting House
Marking the site of the first Latter-Day Saints meeting house, built in 1885. This was the first building erected in this community for religious purposes. The building was 16 X 28 feet costing $450.00, money for which was obtained by donation. . . . — Map (db m109814) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 183 — Snake River Bridge
On December 10, 1864 a franchise was granted to Edward M. Morgan, James M. (Matt) Taylor, and William F. Bartlett to operate a ferry one and one-half miles below Cedar Island and build a bridge over Snake River at Black Canyon. Mr. Taylor selected . . . — Map (db m70571) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 228 — Upper Snake River Valley Irrigation
The fertile soil and abundance of water in this valley lured pioneer settlers. With small slip scrapers, hand plows, picks and shovels, they cleared sagebrush, built log homes, made canals, ditches and dams to put water on the land. One of . . . — Map (db m109710) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Iona — 85 — Iona
which means "The Beautiful" was named by apostle W. Taylor in honor of a town in Palestine. It was originally known as Sand Creek and embraces a tract of country lying east of Eagle Rock (now Idaho Falls). The first settlement was made in 1883 by . . . — Map (db m140538) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Shelton — 87 — The Willow Creek Settlement
The Willow Creek pioneers established farms in this area in 1874, a school and irrigation canal in 1879, and early branch of the Latter-day Saints church in 1885 This portion of the East Willow Creek country became Shelton Ward on Aug. 14, 1892. . . . — Map (db m140539) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Ucon — 182 — Coltman Ward
In 1888 the first settlers of the Coltman Ward cleared the sage brush, dug canals and ditches, and built humble homes. At first it was a part of what was called Poverty Flat, later named Grant Ward. In 1896 Grant was divided and this, the south . . . — Map (db m140544) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Moore — 301 — The First LDS Church
In the early 90's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints organized a branch in Lost Rover Valley. The people built a Church 1.03 miles south of this in 1898. It was 38 x 54 feet, four windows on each side, double doors in front and a stage . . . — Map (db m140067) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Nampa — 139 — The Little White Church
The first L.D.S. church in Canyon County was purchased in 1910 from St. Paul's Congregation for $1000, and dragged with great difficulty through the mud from 1st St. and 14th Ave.S. to this site. It was remodeled, painted, and made ready for use as . . . — Map (db m141314) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 232 — Bancroft's First School
One block west from this site, in 1894, the pioneers of this area erected a school house built of red brick made and kilned by them. It was one room, twenty-five by forty feet. Cuss Erickson laid the brick, first teachers were Edith Townsend and . . . — Map (db m124584) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 348 — Ivins Pioneer Cemetery
This area, known as Ten Mile Sterrett and Ivins, was opened for homesteading in 1880. Emigrants from Utah and Iceland transformed sagebrush lands to productive livestock farms. They befriended the roaming Indians and Oregon Trail travelers. Jared . . . — Map (db m140294) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 324 — Oregon Trail Campsite
After the arrival of the first settlers of Chesterfield in 1875, covered wagon trains continued to use the Old Oregon Traill of 1846 which passed this point. Tired discouraged and ill, travelers arrived here from early spring to late autumn. Local . . . — Map (db m124580) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 263 — The Meeting House
In 1880, several Latter-Day Saint families settled in this valley of the Portneuf, naming the area Chesterfield. Nov. 27, 1883, a branch of the Church was organized with Judson A. Tolman presiding Elder. Labor was donated, lumber came from nearby . . . — Map (db m124581) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Grace — 219 — Last Chance Canal Co. Ltd.
Two miles east is located the dam and headworks of the canal system. Incorporation was effected Feb. 4, 1899 for the purpose of irrigating this valley. First filing on Bear River to supply the canal was Mar. 4, 1897. To perfect the right it was . . . — Map (db m140280) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — 260 — Brigham Young Summer Home
On this site in 1870, the first house in Soda Springs, Uppertown was built under the direction of John Walmsley. It was a one room log cabin twenty-two by eighteen feet, with floor, windows, and shingle roof, known as the Brigham Young Summer Home. . . . — Map (db m35466) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — 278 — Pioneer Cedar Cemetery
This spot of ground known as the Pioneer Cedar Cemetery was used from the time of the founding of Soda Springs "Upper Town" in 1871 to 1906. It contains over 42 marked graves and as many whose identification are unknown. Each plot was selected by . . . — Map (db m140251) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Burley — 75 — Starrh's Ferry
In the summer of 1880 George Starrh, a placer miner, established a ferry 4 miles west of the present city of Burley. Rich mineral mines had been discovered in the Wood River country and freight was hauled between the mines and Kelton, Utah, (the . . . — Map (db m125404) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Delco — 520 — Parting of the WaysCalifornia Road at Raft River
In 1811 the first white expedition to go through this area of the Snake River and the lower end of the Raft River Valley was the Wilson Price Hunt expedition from St. Louis to Astoria. However, the area was well known to the French and British . . . — Map (db m123843) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Malta — 513 — Where Trails Meet - Raft River Valley Trails
The Raft River Valley was used by Native Americans as a place to hunt and winter because the snow didn't lie in the valley and there was good water and plenty of grass for the animals. British and American trappers, Peter Skene Ogden, Milton . . . — Map (db m123881) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Oakley — 355 — Oakley Tabernacle
In April 1879 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from Tooele, Utah, under direction of Wm. E. Martindale, arrived in Oakley where James Dayley and his two sons had staked claims and built cabins. On Sept. 24, 1882, the Saints . . . — Map (db m138482) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Dayton — 171 — Dayton, Idaho
In 1867 Joseph Chadwick and family settled on Five Mile Creek and built a log cabin. In one room he had a supply store to accommodate the few settlers and freighters. He was followed by Peter Poole, Robert Taylor, Stephen Callan, George Mendenhall, . . . — Map (db m140159) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Franklin — 93 — Old Fort of Franklin
Franklin, the first permanent Anglo-Saxon settlement in Idaho, was settled in 1860 by a group of Mormon Pioneer families from Utah. The fort in which they first lived was erected for protection against Indians, men standing guard outside at night . . . — Map (db m105697) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Franklin — 61 — Pioneer Mail Route
This marks the trail of the first communication between Cache Valley and Bear Lake Valley known as the Shoshone Indian Trail in 1864. Mail was carried to Bear Lake on snowshoes, a distance of 25 miles over steep and rugged mountains from Franklin . . . — Map (db m140344) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Oxford — 55 — Settlement of Oxford
July, 1864, a company of explorers were sent to Idaho by President Brigham Young to locate suitable places for settlements. The same year Noam Brimhall and John Boice built the first homes in Oxford. William G. Nelson, George D. Lake, and George D. . . . — Map (db m140160) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Preston — 186 — Bear River Massacre Monument — Pioneer Women —
Attacks by the Indians on the peaceful inhabitants in this vicinity led to the final battle here January 29, 1863. The conflict occurred in deep snow and bitter cold. Scores of wounded and frozen soldiers were taken from the battlefield to the . . . — Map (db m105785) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Preston — 236 — Pioneer Ferry and Bridge
Concrete shaft located one-half mile west on Bear River marks the site of the Nathan Williams Packer Toll Ferry and Bridge, one of the first on the river. The ferry operated with rope and carried equivalent of one team and wagon. In 1869 a bridge . . . — Map (db m48977) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Weston — 553 — Pass of the Standing Rock
The Pass of the Standing Rock was held sacred by the ancient ones of the Shoshone and other Native American Tribes long before John C. Fremont's exploratory party came to Weston Canyon on August 29, 1843. Fremont's surveyors spent the entire day . . . — Map (db m140345) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Weston — 561 — Weston Grist Mill
President Brigham Young directed Mariner W. Merrill to explore new town sites. Out of Merrill's survey, several families from Richmond, Utah crossed the Bear River on April 15, 1865, and settled in the Weston area. The first dugouts were constructed . . . — Map (db m140136) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Weston — 69 — Weston Pioneers
April 15, 1865 the following pioneers settled at Weston. Christopher Funk, his wife Annie Kofoed and children. John Maughan, his wife Marie Davenport and children. Samuel Rodgers, and is wife Augusta. Hanz Funk, his wife Christina . . . — Map (db m140129) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Ashton — 437 — Ashton-Marysville Area Pioneers
Tall sagebrush and grass, wild animals, the beautiful Tetons and surrounding mountains greeted the first pioneers of this area. Joe and Mary Weaver Baker and their eight children drove their wagon and cattle from Nebraska and arrived in May of 1889. . . . — Map (db m140744) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Paker — 449 — Sub-Irrigation on Egin Bench
The Egin bench area settled in approximately 1880 is watered by subirrigation, a system rare in the world.  Customary surface flooding irrigation did not work in this deep sandy soil.  The pioneers found that a natural substratum barrier trapped . . . — Map (db m142174) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — 70 — Pioneer Meeting House
The first house of worship erected in the Upper Snake River Valley, was located approximately five and three-fourths miles west, and one and three-fourths miles south of this marker. It was completed by members of the Egin Branch of the Cache Stake . . . — Map (db m108988) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Teton — 541 — Teton City Settlers
A group of pioneer men, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, left Mendon, Cache, Utah, April 1883 and traveled to Idaho in search of new homes for their families. The company consisted of Henry Sorenson, John and Niles Peter . . . — Map (db m108349) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Lewisville — 230 — Lewisville
In 1882, Richard F. Jardine, Edmund, Brigham, and John Ellsworth with their families founded Lewisville. It was named in honor of Lewis and Clark Expedition and was one of the first settlements in the Snake River Valley. They cleared sagebrush, dug . . . — Map (db m124483) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Menan — 378 — Pooles Island - Menan
Pooles Island, first settled 1879 by members of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, John R. Poole, presiding elder. Cedar Butte Ward organized 1884, Robert L. Bybee, Bishop. Long Island Canal water right decreed 1880; school began 1881; . . . — Map (db m108994) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Rigby — 419 — "Annie's Place" Annis
March, 1879, the first of many hardy, courageous pioneers to settle here were Mr. and Mrs. O.C. Fisher and son Will, Mr. and Mrs Albert Richardson and Joseph Fisher and family. First white child born, H.J. Fisher 16 December 1879. First public . . . — Map (db m140581) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Rigby — 427 — Bybee - Centerville
Bybee-Centerville, also known as Sayer, was located between Lewisville and Rigby, the Drybed Channel of the Snake River (Great Feeder Canal) and the Burgess Canal. It was settled 1883-84 by John A. Cuthbert, Alexander Kinghorn, Dan Adams, William . . . — Map (db m140582) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Rigby — 106 — Rigby
In 1884 a group of Utah Mormons settled and pioneered this locality. The cleared sagebrush land, dug canals and erected humble log homes. The built a log room which was used for church, school and recreation. Daniel S. Robbins, a veteran, was made . . . — Map (db m124386) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Rigby — 528 — The Holt Ferry
Prior to the Holt Ferry, mail and supplies could be sent across the South Fork of the Snake River in a heavy wire basket on a cable. In 1894, Richard C. Heise, who had read of the healing properties of the mineral springs, came from Pocatello and . . . — Map (db m140543) HM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Ririe — 453 — The Great Feeder
The Snake River shifted to the north bypassing the South Channel or Dry Bed and left canals along this route without water during most of the summer of 1894. The Great Feeder Headgate and Canal were built in the years 1894 and 1895 to supply water . . . — Map (db m140541) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Tendoy — 285 — First Irrigation Project
Arriving at the headwaters of Lemhi River, a company of Latter-Day Saint men who had been called to establish a mission among the Indians proceeded approximately 30 miles downstream, selected a site for a fort and a tract of farming land, On June . . . — Map (db m123675) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Tendoy — 284 — Salmon River Mission
On April 7, 1855, at the conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Pres. Brigham Young called 27 elders to found a mission among the Indians of the Salmon River Country, Oregon Territory, with Thomas S. Smith in charge. . . . — Map (db m123676) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Plano — 486 — Pioneers of Plano
In the spring of 1883, a group of men led by Richard Hemsley and James Steel left Salt Lake City, by train, in search of a new place to live. They rode to the end of the railroad line, Market Lake, now Roberts, Idaho. Here they obtained horses and . . . — Map (db m140739) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 425 — Burton
Settlement named in honor of Robert T. Burton, who laid out the townsite in 1882. Early settlers cleared the sagebrush, dug canals, ditches, planted crops, and built modest homes. A branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was . . . — Map (db m140643) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 585 — Jenny Leigh Pioneer Cemetery
Jenny Leigh, an Eastern Shoshone Indian of Chief Washakie's People, was born in 1849. She first married a French-Canadian trapper, who was later killed and despoiled of his furs by an Indian in Jackson Hole Country. She later married Richard . . . — Map (db m140644) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 473 — Rexburg Milling Company
In the summer of 1883, William F. Rigby purchased, dismantled and moved by oxen a mill to the new community of Rexburg, establishing the only mill in southern Idaho. The mill was reconstructed on the west side of Third East, between Second and Third . . . — Map (db m42052) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 454 — Rexburg's First School and Meetinghouse
The first settlers arrived in the spring of 1883. These settlers were willing to neglect their own home building long enough to build a community meetinghouse. A log building, thirty by sixth feet, built at a cost of $8500, was erected on this . . . — Map (db m140640) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 224 — Ricks College
On November 12, 1888, five years after settlement of Snake River Valley, Bannock Stake Academy opened with 60 students ranging from 6 to 24 years of age. School was held in the first ward L.D.S. chapel during the first years. In 1898 it became a . . . — Map (db m140637) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 438 — The Tithing Barn Block
A tithing barn was built on this property in the summer of 1885, two years after the first settlers arrived in Rexburg. The barn was built of 1x10 inch rough lumber and put together with wooden pegs. It was sixty feet long and thirty feet wide. The . . . — Map (db m140588) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Salem — 545 — The Settlement of Salem, Idaho
A few fur trappers, led by Andrew Henry, arrived along the Snake River in 1810. They built log shelters about five miles downstream from St. Anthony and established Henry's Fort. Other trappers who spent time in the area included men from the Wilson . . . — Map (db m140740) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Sugar City — 525 — Sugar City Sugar Beet Factory
In August 1903, Mark Austin negotiated the purchase of a section of land here, the south half to be used as this town site and the north half, about 1/2 mile northeast, to be used for a sugar beet factory for the Fremont County Sugar Company. By . . . — Map (db m140742) HM
Idaho (Minidoka County), Rupert — 372 — Montgomery Ferry
Near this spot, a ferry was established in 1886 by George Montgomery and Andrew Smith. Charges were fifty cents for man and horse; seventy five cents for team and wagon. Only means of crossing Snake River between Starrh's Ferry and American Falls, a . . . — Map (db m138487) HM
Idaho (Oneida County), Malad City — 346 — Samaria
The Price family located on the present site of Samaria Feb. 10, 1868. A branch of the Church fo Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized Nov. 18, 1868, Thomas S. Thomas, President. Irrigation water was obtained from John Thorpe's Spring. A . . . — Map (db m140127) HM
Idaho (Payette County), New Plymouth — 352 — New Plymouth
In 1810-18 Francois Payette, Donald McKenzie, John Day, Jack Weiser, a Mr. Whitman and others, named this valley and river "Payette." In 1862 David Bivens' stage station was erected and Nathan Falk's store was opened in 1876. William E. Smythe, of . . . — Map (db m119315) HM
Idaho (Power County), Rockland — 223 — Rockland Valley
The first pioneer families from Utah came here in 1879 and were met by a Spanish prospector, Guadelupe Valdez. Rockland was named for Rock Creek, which runs the full length of this valley. It was one of the early settlements of Idaho. The first . . . — Map (db m140357) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Driggs — 38 — John ColterErected Sept. 1938
Who accompanied Lewis & Clark through the Northwest in 1803-6, was the first white man to enter Teton Valley (Pierre’s Hole) in 1807 and discovered Teton Pass, Jackson Hole and the wonders of Yellowstone Park. Later called “Colter’s . . . — Map (db m84353) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hansen — 86 — Rock Creek Station
Original building was erected by James Bascom in 1878. The first trading post west of Fort Hall. Station for Pony Express and Ben Halliday (sic, Holladay) Stage Line. The largest artery of wagon travel in United States passed here on old Oregon . . . — Map (db m125408) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — 286 — Highland Park
Under the Homestead Act of 1880, John Lingren acquired this land, cleared the sagebrush, raised vegetables and dairy products, started a nursery, planted hundred of fruit, evergreen, shade and ornamental trees. It became Idaho Falls' first amusement . . . — Map (db m124383) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 170 — First Las Vegas Post Office
John Steele, one of the original L. D. S. missionaries, secured a mail grant for the Las Vegas Mission. The documents to establish the Post Office, and, appointing William Bringhurst Postmaster, were brought from Salt Lake City by Benjamin H Hulse, . . . — Map (db m29294) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 40 — Las Vegas Fort
In 1855 Pres. Brigham Young appointed a company of men under the leadership of William Bringhurst to establish a colony at Las Vegas. The company left Salt Lake May 10 and arrived at Las Vegas June 14, 1855 and camped near this site. William . . . — Map (db m29292) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Overton — 275 — Moapa Valley Pioneers
In 1864 Brigham Young called for settlers to colonize the Muddy (now Moapa) Valley. On January 8, 1865, eleven men and three women arrived and began the first settlement at St. Thomas, now covered by the waters of Lake Mead. Later other settlements . . . — Map (db m145959) HM
Nevada (Douglas County), Genoa — 132 — Mormon StationNo. 132 — Erected June 1949 —
In 1851 Col. John Reese, with a little band of eighteen men crossed the great deserts and built the first trading post in Nevada, “Mormon Station”. Later came more members of the Mormon Faith who settled and established the town of . . . — Map (db m20686) HM
Nevada (Elko County), Lamoille — 46 — Fort Halleck
Located about 500 feet south of this marker. Established July 27, 1867 by Captain S.R. Smith, built by the 200 soldiers under his command and named in honor of General H.W. Halleck, commanding the Division of the Pacific. The first buildings were . . . — Map (db m89506) HM
Nevada (White Pine County), Lund — 323 — Settlement of Lund
In 1882, Congress passed the Edmunds Act causing L.D.S. Church property to be confiscated, including cattle which the receiver leased to Nichols and Parsons. Later the law was repealed and church property returned. The lessees could not fully repay . . . — Map (db m1301) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Farmington — 177 — Farmington, New Mexico
First settled 1876 to 1878 by families of William and Marion B. Hendrickson, Charles and Milton Virden, Orville Pyle, A.F. Miller and William Lock. The first school-house was built in 1879; the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1886. William Lock . . . — Map (db m22805) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — 524 — Mormon Sugar Beet Factory Site
On this site in 1916, the Oregon Utah Sugar Company erected a large beet factory. C.W. Nibley, director of the company and presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons/L.D.S.), oversaw the project. Nibley's sons, . . . — Map (db m112529) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 529 — The Mormon Plot in Concordia Cemetery
The leaders of The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints were looking to Mexico as a possible colonization site. By the spring of 1875, nearly 100 pages of selected passages from the Book of Mormon had been translated into Spanish for . . . — Map (db m38069) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 64 — Beaver Stake Tabernacle
On this site in 1865-66 a tabernacle was erected by the pioneers. Built of local brick, lumber and stone. It was of pioneer architecture with a large assembly hall, gallery, full basement, a tower and large bell. This building was used for church . . . — Map (db m75614) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 570 — Beaver Territorial Courthouse
Beaver Territorial Courthouse is considered one of the finest examples of Pioneer architecture. The architect, K.A. Kletting, designed the building in the Queen Ann style with Victorian overtones. The courthouse was constructed under the direction . . . — Map (db m75581) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 327 — Fort Cameron - Murdock Academy
In 1872-73 a two and two-thirds mile square, protective military reservation was established following the request of C.M. Hawley, Associate Justice, Utah Territory. Built of native rock and lumber, it received 250 troops Sept. 7, 1873, Major John . . . — Map (db m75578) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 147 — Pioneer First Camp Ground
Near this site, Feb. 6, 1856, in zero weather, Beaver pioneers made their first camp. Prior to this, the land had been rejected as unfit for cultivation, but the amount of water available gave courage. At a mass meeting in Parowan some of the more . . . — Map (db m75615) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — Pioneer Park
Dedicated to the memory of the valiant pioneers who erected the first woolen mills in Southern Utah in 1870. It was a busy mecca, with wagons coming and going from all over the State with their goods to trade. — Map (db m75576) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Beaver — 31 — The Beaver Woolen Mills(Incorporated 1869)
On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool . . . — Map (db m75577) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Cove Fort — 6 — Cove Fort
Completed April 12, 1867, by direction of Brigham Young, with L.D.S. Church funds, as a travelers way station and refuge from Indians. Ira N. Hinckley built and maintained it as a hostelry and residence until 1877. A well within the fort provided . . . — Map (db m75519) HM
Utah (Beaver County), Frisco — 268 — Frisco
A typical mining town at the foot of the San Francisco Mountain was fed by the fabulously rich Horn Silver Mine. By 1885 over $60,000,000 in zinc, copper, lead, silver, and gold were hauled away by mule train and the Utah Central Railroad. Water was . . . — Map (db m78264) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Beaver Dam — 334 — Hansen Cooperative Dairy
The Box Elder Cooperative Association was established in 1867 -68 by Lorenzo Snow, under direction of Brigham Young. In 1871 a dairy, said to be the first in Utah, was built south of Beaver Dam, near a cold water spring, Christian Hansen, operator. . . . — Map (db m44467) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 229 — Corinne Opera House
On this site the Corinne Opera House, for many years the largest recreation center in Utah outside of Salt Lake City, was erected in 1879. Built of red pine lumber with square nails, the leading stock companies, California bound on the new railroad, . . . — Map (db m105258) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 136 — The First Weather Station in Utah
In 1870 the first U.S. Government weather station in Utah was erected on this site by the War Department Signal Service, U.S. Army Division of Telegrams and Reports, for the benefit of commerce. The observer was William W. McElroy. The station was . . . — Map (db m105253) HM
Utah (Cache County), Logan — 174 — Pioneer Mills of Cache Valley
In 1860 two grist mills were built and operated in this valley. One at Wellsville by Daniel P. Hill and the other at Millville by Esias Edwards and Leroy Kent. The first burrstones obtained from Black Rock, Utah proved to be too soft for grinding so . . . — Map (db m44471) HM
Utah (Cache County), Nibley — 68 — Original Church Farm
In July, 1855, the first settlers in Cache Valley, 23 men and 2 women under the leadership of Martin Ensign and Bryant Stringham came to Willow Valley with about 2000 cattle, established Elk Horn Ranch near some fine springs, located about one mile . . . — Map (db m149769) HM
Utah (Cache County), Richmond — 15 — Richmond Fort
In July 1859 under the leadership of John Bair, (interpreter and guide) sixteen families settled here, built log cabins and dugouts between City Creek and Brower Springs. The following Spring other families arrived and a permanent fort was built for . . . — Map (db m105497) HM
Utah (Carbon County), East Carbon — 272 — Settlement of East Carbon
Early settlers in Whitmore Canyon, later called Sunnyside, were Jefferson Tidwell, his family and a brother John, who grazed cattle in the area prior to building their home in 1897. They located a vein of coal, sold it to the Utah Fuel Company for . . . — Map (db m148001) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 197 — First Meeting House
The settlement of Price began in 1877 when Caleb B. Rhodes and Abraham Powell arrived here. Two years later a number of Later Day Saints and their families strengthened the settlement. A branch of the church was organized in 1881 and in 1882 George . . . — Map (db m148009) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 471 — Grames Cabin
The Albert Grames cabin, built in 1891, stood originally on a site two miles northwest of here. In 1904 Grames bought land in Price, dismantled his cabin, and used the logs to build this somewhat larger structure. The cabin is unique in that it was . . . — Map (db m148119) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 564 — Pioneer Women
We hold in sacred memory those sturdy and brave pioneer women, who left their homes in the Eastern United States or sailed from the foreign lands; that trekked across hills, plains, and mountains, forded streams and rivers, birthed and buried loved . . . — Map (db m148118) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Wellington — 354 — Pioneer Cabin
In 1877 Jefferson Tidwell was called by Brigham Young to find a location for settlement east of the Wasatch Mountains. By 1879 the first pioneers came, built homes, later irrigated their farms with Price River water. This log cabin, built by Robert . . . — Map (db m148004) HM
Utah (Davis County), Bountiful — 25 — Heber C. Kimball Grist Mill
This site was surveyed August 1, 1852 and the mill (largest of it's time in Utah) was dedicated May 6, 1853. Built on rock foundation with solid adobe walls trimmed with red sandstone, this Burr mill operated until 1892, when roller mills . . . — Map (db m125132) HM
Utah (Davis County), Kaysville — 104 — The Weinel Mill
Built in 1854 by John Weinel a native of Germany who came to Utah about 1853, the mill was the “overshot” water powered type & was erected on Webb’s Creek ¼ mile N.E. of this site. Native stones were used for the walls and pines for it’s . . . — Map (db m123714) HM
Utah (Davis County), Syracuse — 154 — Syracuse First Social Center
About 1872 the first soil was plowed in this community and in 1876-77 homes were erected. The people attended church services in Kaysville and Farmington prior to 1882 when Pres. Wm. R. Smith of Davis stake organized a branch of the L.D.S. church . . . — Map (db m123767) HM
Utah (Davis County), Syracuse — 450 — The Old Emigrant Road
The Old Emigrant Road started at Salt Lake City, Utah, and ended at the City of the Rocks, Idaho, where it formed a junction with the California Trail. This road was also known as Bluff Road, Old Traveled Road, and the Salt Lake Cutoff. It was . . . — Map (db m124032) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Duchesne — 207 — Duchesne
Explorers, trappers and traders were here before Brigham Young sent a group, in 1861, to prepare the way for Mormon colonization. But in October 1861 the U.S. Government set apart Uintah Valley for Indian Reservation. In 1905 a portion was opened . . . — Map (db m44051) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Duchesne — 16 — Father Escalante
In commemoration of the Catholic Priest, Father Escalante, who in 1776 came into Utah. He crossed the Green River at Jensen and camped two days at that place. His diary shows that he camped at the junction of the Strawberry and Duchesne rivers . . . — Map (db m72764) HM
Utah (Duchesne County), Myton — 388 — Myton
In 1866-7, U. S. Army made road to Price and Bridge across Duchesne River. At this point Henderson’s Indian Trading Post, Caldwell’s Stage Station and a blacksmith shop were erected. 1905, Army surveyed townsite named for H. P. Myton, Supt. . . . — Map (db m72760) HM
Utah (Emery County), Castle Dale — 152 — First Settlers in Castle Dale
Responding to a call from Brigham Young, Orange Seeley organized groups in Sanpete County to settle Castle Valley. Sheep and cattle men had been here earlier. In 1879 the first settlers located in Castle Dale building their first dugouts under a . . . — Map (db m147917) HM
Utah (Emery County), Cleveland — 179 — Cleveland
In 1884 Henry H. Oviatt, Sr. and Samuel N. Alger with their families homesteaded here. When others came, they built a 15 mile irrigation canal, surveying by spirit level and using hand tools. Cleveland Canal & Agricultural Co. organized 1889, to . . . — Map (db m147925) HM
Utah (Emery County), Elmo — 256 — First Public Building
In 1908 the townsite of Elmo was laid out. Each summer a bowery was erected east of this site where social events were held. In 1911 a group of men purchased the Cleveland schoolhouse, dragged it with teams and logs to the bowery lot. It was . . . — Map (db m147941) HM
Utah (Emery County), Elmo — 351 — Tithing Granary
Before 1890 Thomas E. Davis filed on land in this vicinity. Others followed, erected homes, a schoolhouse and meeting place. June 16, 1912, a branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, George H. Oviatt presiding elder. . . . — Map (db m147940) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — 142 — The Tunnel Builders
From 1885 to 1889, the pioneers who located on the Muddy three miles north east from the town of Emery, built in their poverty a tunnel 1200 feet long through blue slate rock to bring water to the town. Their only tools were pick and shovel and . . . — Map (db m147840) HM
Utah (Emery County), Ferron — 117 — Ferron Pioneers
The first permanent settlers of Ferron arrived Dec. 6,1877. They were Swen Larsen and son Niels Christian Larsen, Nicholas Larsen and wife Helena, Peter F. Peterson and wife, Caroline. The first woman with a family of children, Ann Singleton . . . — Map (db m147842) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — 274 — Huntington's First Meeting House
January, 1879, Orange Seeley, Presiding Valley Bishop, appointed Elias Cox to preside over the Latter Day Saints who had settled on Huntington Creek. In October a ward was organized. Logs were hauled from the canyon and a meeting house erected by: . . . — Map (db m147922) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Old Bell
The bell came from the old Relief Society Building . It was cracked by townspeople ringing it at the news of armistice, 10 October 1918, was was given to the DUP by the Bishop. — Map (db m147921) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — 178 — Old Ranger Station
This building, erected in 1909 at Bear Creek site was originally the first Ranger Station in Huntington Canyon. John P. Brockbank served as ranger from November, 1909, until November, 1917. Later it was used as summer headquarters by the forest . . . — Map (db m147920) HM
Utah (Emery County), Orangeville — 111 — First Public Building in Orangeville
On this site in December 1880, a primitive meeting house was built - a log building which served the community for church, school, dramatic and recreational purposes. Orangeville had been a part of Castle Dale, but in 1882 it was organized as a Ward . . . — Map (db m147919) HM
Utah (Emery County), Orangeville — 217 — Old Social Hall
In 1883 the men and boys of this community brought material from the mountains and built a hall on this spot of ground. They formed a company and rented the hall. The L.D.S. Church purchased the building when Jasper N. Robertson was first Bishop. It . . . — Map (db m147918) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 94 — Escalante
In 1866, a group of Mormon Cavalrymen noted this valley, while in pursuit of Indians during the Black Hawk War. In February, 1875, a company of men came from Beaver, Utah and explored the valley. The first permanent settlers came from Beaver, . . . — Map (db m74744) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 266 — First Public Building
In 1876-77 Escalante Pioneers erected a log building, 36 x 18 feet, located 20 feet west of this marker. The logs 18 inches in diameter came from Cyclone Lake Mountain by ox team. They were hewn by hand, fastened with oak pins, morticed ends and . . . — Map (db m74745) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 141 — L.D.S. Tithing Office
This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to . . . — Map (db m74746) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 501 — Old Boulder Mail Trail
The isolated trails between Boulder and Escalante, Utah, were important in the history of the two towns. The foot trail, used by Indians for centuries, connected the two areas and was known as the Death Hollow Trail. Mules, horses, or people . . . — Map (db m74759) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — Hatch Ward Building and Bell
In 1904 the Hatch L.D.S. Ward building was erected on this lot. A vestibule was added in 1910 and the bell was purchased with donations from ward members. For many years it hung in the tower and rang out for all civic, social and church activities. . . . — Map (db m74679) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — 292 — Settlement of Hatch
In 1872 Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of the Sevier River, near the junction of Mammoth and Asay Creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-power saw mill. Soon other settlers came. Land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. . . . — Map (db m74677) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 62 — Panguitch Fort
In March, 1864, about fifty pioneers under the leadership of Jens Nielson settled Panguitch. They built a fort of logs, enclosing their homes and a building used for church, school and recreation. The town was abandoned in 1867, because of Indian . . . — Map (db m27020) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 166 — Panguitch Stake Tabernacle
Panguitch stake of the L.D.S. Church was organized in 1877 with James Henrie as president. In March 1880, plans were made for a stake house with George Dodds, architect, and M.M. Steel, Sr., chairman of the building. The following men were prominent . . . — Map (db m27040) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 442 — Panguitch Tithing Lot
During the first settlement of Panguitch, between 1864 and 1867, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints paid tithes with produce and cattle, which were kept on this lot and disbursed as needed. Barns and corrals were constructed . . . — Map (db m74680) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 460 — Social Hall
The Panguitch Social Hall was built during the years between 1890-1900. Fredrick Judd made the bricks and slacked the lime for the laying of the brick. The walls were three bricks thick, and the building had wide double-doors on either side of the . . . — Map (db m74682) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Tropic — 477 — Loseeville
Clifton (Loseeville) was situated in East Valley one mile east of the Pahreah River and four miles North of Cannonville. The first settlers were Ebenezer Bryce in 1876 and Daniel Goulding in 1878. They built a ditch to bring water to the valley from . . . — Map (db m74743) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — 181 — Early L.D.S. Church
One room of this building, formerly the L.D.S. Church, was erected in 1888. Two years later a second room was added. The bishop was Randolph Stewart; building committee: O.W. Warner, who donated the land, Henry Holyoak, and O.D. Allen; supervisors . . . — Map (db m95092) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — 65 — Elk Mountain Mission
In April 1855, forty one men under the leadership of Alfred N. Billings were called to establish a mission in the Elk Mountains. They left Salt Lake City May 7, 1855, arrived at Grand River June 11, and selected the site for a settlement. By July . . . — Map (db m95090) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 452 — Cedar City Tabernacle
A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall. Mayhew Dalley . . . — Map (db m59540) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 402 — Chaffin Grist Mill
In 1866 Louis R. Chaffin, at the request of Apostle Erastus Snow, placed a gristmill in Cedar City. His son, Henry, ran it until 1868 when Louis returned from "The Muddy." Adjoining land was purchased in 1875. Excavation by Alva Matheson proved the . . . — Map (db m59538) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 418 — First Cedar Encampment
Iron ore having been discovered at Iron Springs, Brigham Young called missionaries to Iron County to make iron. A militia of 35 men was organized in Parowan, Nov. 5, 1851, under Captain Henry Lunt. Part of the company left Nov. 10th in 11 wagons and . . . — Map (db m59546) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 222 — Fort Cedar
In November 1851, thirty-five men from Parowan settled Cedar City. A unique temporary encampment, composed of their wagon boxes and sage brush walls, sheltered them through the first winter. In 1853, a fort 100 rods square was built on this site. . . . — Map (db m59515) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 309 — Hamilton Fort
In 1852 Peter Shirts located a ranch on Sidon Creek, later known as Shirts Creek. He offered John Hamilton half the water to come and settle there. Hamilton came with his family and Peter Fife. When Walker Indian War broke out they moved to Cedar . . . — Map (db m59513) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — 446 — The Social Hall
The Cedar City Pioneers had made their homes in the Old Fort and had built an adobe schoolhouse 28 feet by 60 feet when, in May 1855, President Brigham Young advised them to move to higher ground. By 1859, the majority of the people had moved to the . . . — Map (db m59542) HM
Utah (Iron County), Enoch — 480 — Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office
Schoolhouse - The second schoolhouse in Enoch was a two-story structure built on this site in 1917-1918. It was a brick building containing two classrooms, two libraries, two bathrooms and a furnace room. Only one room served as a classroom, and . . . — Map (db m59568) HM
Utah (Iron County), Enoch — 461 — Johnson's Fort
During the summer of 1851, a small company of men was exploring this area and discovered the springs on the bench one-fourth mile to the east. Joel H. Johnson was so impressed with the spot, that he sought and received permission from George A. . . . — Map (db m59571) HM
Utah (Iron County), Paragonah — 475 — The Tithing Lot and Relief Society Hall
Tithing Lot - Pioneer William Robb Jr. built a rock house, consisting of two rooms with a cellar, diagonally across the street from this location. It was later sold to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and became a Tithing Office . . . — Map (db m59622) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 168 — D.U.P. Relic Hall
This building, erected in 1866, served the community of Parowan for 52 years as a religious and cultural center. Later it was given by the L.D.S. Church to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, who in 1939-40 restored the old edifice and in 1949-50 . . . — Map (db m59614) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 135 — First School House and Council House in Iron County
"I commenced a grammar school in my wickiup by the light of the fire and only one grammar book." Diary of George A. Smith, February 25, 1851. The first school house, 18 x 24 feet, was built west of the Council House and dedicated December 25, . . . — Map (db m59611) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 125 — Old Comedy Hall
The Parowan Dramatic Association was organized in 1851 with Edward Dalton president, Jessie V. Smith, Joseph, Jane and Annie Fish, David and Wm. Cluff, Wm. C. McGregor and Ed Ward, members. Plays were produced in Log Council House and Rock Church . . . — Map (db m59615) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 122 — Pioneer Rock Church
This church built of sandstone brought from Parowan Canyon, started in 1863 and completed about 1876, was the religious center of Parowan Valley. The large amusement hall in the basement was used for school and dances. A stage was erected in the . . . — Map (db m59613) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 121 — Public Works
At Parowan, a pioneer industrial center was settled in 1851. Water for manufacturing and industry was carried by wooden flume from the canyon to the fort. Along this water line industries were established known as the Public Works. Among these were . . . — Map (db m59574) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — 512 — Tintic Mining District
The discovery of the outcrop of the Sunbeam Lode and the subsequent organization of the Tintic Mining District on December 13, 1869, was the beginning of a mining district which ultimately became world-famous. The name is in honor of the Ute Indian . . . — Map (db m75338) HM
Utah (Juab County), Levan — 407 — Levan
Spring 1867, Church leader Erastus Snow helped select a new site for Chicken Creek Settlement, relocated due to unfavorable living conditions. Brigham Young named it Levan. Snow appointed Wm. Morgan and James Wilson as supervisors. Early in 1868, . . . — Map (db m75457) HM
Utah (Juab County), Levan — 387 — The Walker War
In July 1853, a trade of fish for flour between an Indian and Mrs. James Ivie, ended in a skirmish; one Indian died, Chief Walker refused peace offer of ponies, beef, flour and blankets unless Mr. Ivie stood trial by Indians; raids began. Colonel . . . — Map (db m75456) HM
Utah (Juab County), Mona — 29 — Old Pioneer Cemetery
This monument is erected in memory of the pioneers buried here. There are about 20, whose resting place surrounds this monument. The first grave was that of Nancy Maria Biglow Love, who died November 27, and was buried November 28, 1852. . . . — Map (db m75292) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 434 — Burraston Ponds
Burraston Ponds was the campsite of the Escalante Expedition, 27 September 1776, from Santa Fe to the Utah Basin. Father Escalante mapped this area and named this spring "Ojo de San Pablo" or Eye of Saint Paul. The great Indian chiefs before . . . — Map (db m75277) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 196 — Early Schools
The first settlers arrived here in 1851. A one room building was erected and used for Church and School in 1852. Candice Smith and George Spencer and wife were teachers. In 1855 a schoolhouse was erected inside the fort and early teachers were: . . . — Map (db m75271) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 459 — Juab Co. Jail
This building has two markers Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker Prisoners from Juab county were first held in the basement of the Social Hall that stood on the corner of Center Street and Second East in Nephi. The next jail . . . — Map (db m75270) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 11 — Salt Creek Canyon Massacre
This monument replaces one previously erected (that crumbled through weather conditions) by Langley A. Bailey, Sr., Jacob Bowers and Henry Knowles in memory of the following pioneers: Jens Jergensen and wife, Jens Terkelsen and Christian E. Kjerulf . . . — Map (db m75247) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 2 — Salt Creek Fort
Completed in November 1854 by the Pioneers of Salt Creek (Nephi) for protection against Indians. The inclosure was 3 blocks square, from 1st West to 2nd East and from 1st North to 2nd South Streets. Markers have been placed at the corners. The . . . — Map (db m75272) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 499 — The Old Mill Wheel
In 1859, John Hoile established a flour gristmill at First South between First and Second East. The mill consisted of a small one-story frame building. On June 20, 1870, the mill was bought by John Hague who operated it until he died in 1900. The . . . — Map (db m75269) HM
Utah (Kane County), Glendale — 206 — Glendale
In 1864 John, Joseph and Robert Berry, their families and others settled in Berryville. The church called more families in 1865. The town was abandoned because of Indian depredations in 1886 when Robert, his wife, Isabell, and Joseph Berry were . . . — Map (db m74644) HM
Utah (Kane County), Glendale — 451 — United Order Woolen Mill
Built in the spring of 1882, the woolen factory was in operation until 1890. It was built under the direction of the United Order Board. Thomas Chamberlain, Bishop and President of the Board. The machinery was run by waterpower. Yarn, batting and . . . — Map (db m74675) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — 228 — Honeymoon Trail
From 1877 to 1927, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traveled this route to be united in eternal marriage in the St. George Utah Temple. Thus, the route was named the “Honeymoon Trail.” Families came from . . . — Map (db m95008) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — Kanab's All-Women Council and Mayor1912 - 1914
Luelle Atkin McAllister Councilwoman Blanche Robinson Hamblin Councilwoman Mary E. Wooley Chamberlain Mayor Tamar Stewart Hamblin Councilwoman Ada Pratt Seegmiller . . . — Map (db m41571) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — 208 — Powell Survey
From 1870 to 1876 Major Wesley Powell and assistant Almon H. Thompson of the U.S. Colorado River Explorations, established headquarters at Kanab. On this spot they erected a stone foundation and raised a tent which housed a telescope, by which means . . . — Map (db m94948) HM
Utah (Kane County), Mount Carmel — 485 — Settlement of Long Valley and Mt. Carmel / Dr. Priddy Meeks
Settlement of Long Valley and Mt. Carmel The first written account of the exploration of Long Valley was given by John D. Lee in 1852. Coming from Parowan, the explorers were under the direction of Bishop John R. Smith. James Lewis kept the . . . — Map (db m40584) HM

392 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 192
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020