Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Daughters of the American Revolution Historical Markers

Markers erected by all chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution.1392 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1192
 
General John Thomas Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, August 4, 2014
General John Thomas Marker
Quebec (La-Vallée-du-Richelieu MRC), Chambly — General John Thomas
In memory of General John Thomas An American Officer born in Marshfield, Mass. 1724, died of smallpox June 2, 1776, and other American soldiers buried in this ground. — Map (db m82024) HM WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Oxford — Creek Indian Campaign Memorial
A Memorial to Gen. Andrew Jackson, the Tennessee Patriots, the Alabama Patriots, and pioneers who by their courage and fortitude in 1813 - 1814, won five successful battles in the Creek Indian Campaign. Side . . . — Map (db m106593) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Suggsville — Fort Madison-Creek War 1812-13
This marks the site of pioneer stockade commanded by Captains Sam Dale and Evan Austill. Choctaw Chieftain Pushmattaha often here. Expedition terminating in noted Canoe Fight on Alabama River immediately east of this site, was . . . — Map (db m101566) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Old Indian Trail
Here passed the Old Indian Trail used as a dividing line between the Choctaw and Creek Tribes. General Andrew Jackson and his troops rested here for the night in 1813. — Map (db m47633) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Folsom Birthplace
James Elisha (Big Jim) Folsom, a resident of Elba, Coffee County, served as the 45th and 47th Governor of Alabama. Folsom lived in this home from 1908 to 1910 when it was located near the Folsom Mill Creek and Tabernacle communities. The Folsom . . . — Map (db m94160) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — George Colbert Memorial
This monument is to memorialize Chickasaw Chief George Colbert who operated a river ferry, traveler’s stand, and had a home on this Natchez Trace site. Colbert Co. AL was named in his honor. — Map (db m84706) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — This Tablet Commemorates the Visit of Lafayette
Soldier of France Volunteer in the cause of American Liberty Guest of the Nation Entertained in Selma On his way to Cahaba 1825 Placed by the Cherokee Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Selma, Alabama June 14, . . . — Map (db m37671) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — Wear Cemetery
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — Map (db m25113) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn - Alabama
Settled by Judge J. J. Harper and others from Harris County, Georgia, in 1836. This region was opened to settlement in 1836-37 by the removal of the Creek Indians to lands west of the Mississippi River. Erected by The Alabama . . . — Map (db m39830) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn WWI Memorial
In memory of The Auburn Men who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m106948) WM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lebanon Methodist Meeting House
Here in 1837 was Lebanon A Methodist meeting house around which grew up Opelika — Map (db m75149) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Mooresville — MooresvilleIncorporated in 1818
Post office contains original call boxes Old tavern, 1817 used as stagecoach stop Red Brick Methodist church 1817 U.S. Gen. James A Garfield was stationed here 1862 White frame church is more than a century old Andrew Johnson was . . . — Map (db m28154) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — On this Spot Woodrow Wilson Said:October 27, 1913 — 1913 - 1924
"I want to take this occasion to say that the United States will never again seek one additional foot of territory by conquest. She will devote herself to showing that she knows how to make honorable and fruitful use of the territory she has and she . . . — Map (db m86381) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — To the Memory of General Marquis De La Fayette
In grateful recognition of his valiant service and in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of his visit to our city — Map (db m36508) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 'Washington' Elm Tree
Washington took command of the American Army under grandparent of this elm Cambridge, Mass., July 3, 1775 ———— Raised and given by Maryland D.A.R. and Alice Paret Dorsey as part of 200th . . . — Map (db m94934) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — 5 — Federal Road, 1805,
Federal Road, 1805, between Milledgeville, Ga. and St. Stephens, Ala. crossed here. Manac's Tavern was two miles west. — Map (db m39770) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Pike County WWI Memorial
In honor of the men of Pike County who served in the World War 1914-1918. — Map (db m76759) WM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston, Ala.First Settlement — 1832
(Title is text)Map (db m92666) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Tallapoosa County World War I Memorial
To the memory of the men of Tallapoosa County Alabama who gave their lives in the World War Sanford E. Adams Henry Lorenza Dabbs Paul H. Harris Amos D. Howle Handley Mask Clarence E. Newell Allen Plant Harmie E. Stevens . . . — Map (db m68068) WM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 28 — Madonna of the Trail
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Elfrida — Camp John A. Rucker A Military OutpostStood on This Site 1878 - 1880
Lt. John A. Rucker, 6th Cav. U.S.A. perished in proximity in flooded White River July 11, 1878 attempting to save life of Lt. Austin Henely Also on this site 1884-1943 ranch headquarters of Gray - Hampe - Rak — Map (db m42057) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Huachuca City — Fort Huachuca(1877)
Situated on the southern route to the Pacific Ocean, it brought law and order to the Arizona Territory, protecting settlers, miners, travelers and immigrants. Its troops won the surrender of Geronimo. Generals Pershing and Wood served here. As . . . — Map (db m27897) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Camp Bouse
General George Patton established Camp Bouse in 1943 in the Butler Valley as the site for training over 5,500 carefully screened and qualified volunteers. These soldiers were trained to use a highly secret weapon called the Canal Defense Light. . . . — Map (db m29165) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Arizona Cotton Land
The land surrounding this cemetery represents the beginning of commercial cotton growing in Arizona. In January 1917, during World War I, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company founded the Southwest Cotton Company to begin producing long-staple . . . — Map (db m34554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Papago Park's Military History
The military use of Papago Park began in 1909 when the northwest corner of the Park was withdrawn from the public domain for military purposes. This area was used by the 158th Infantry Regiment of the First Arizona Volunteer Infantry (National . . . — Map (db m87962) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Sentinel — The Oatman Family
In memory of The Oatman Family Six members of this pioneer family massacred by Indians in March 1851 — Map (db m72168) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Site of Hayden's Ferry1200 Feet Northeast of This Marker
Established in 1871, when the Salt River was a flowing stream and a barrier to travel the ferry was held on course by a wire cable taut across the river. It was an important link in settling the southwest. Built and operated by Charles . . . — Map (db m27584) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Bullhead City — Hardyville Pioneer Cemetery
This cemetery remains as the last vestige of the pioneer settlement of Hardyville founded in 1864 by William R Hardy, the town served as an important ferry crossing, steamboat landing, shipping point for area mines and as the Mohave County Seat from . . . — Map (db m29339) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — British – American Friendship
"We are now friends with England and with all Mankind." Written by Benjamin Franklin, American Peace Commissioner in Paris, following the signing of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution September 1783 With American and . . . — Map (db m31843) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson
Commemorating the raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson Dec 16, 1846 — Map (db m74174) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26462) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26460) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845 Moved to this location in 1955 — Map (db m26461) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sentinel Peak
Used as a lookout and for signal fires by the Indians prior to and since 1692 and later by early settlers — Map (db m38401) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Tucson Old Walled City
Founded 1776 by the Spanish Government as a Presidio. Became part of U.S. after Gadsden Purchase 1853 — Map (db m26399) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Chas. D. PostonThe Father of Arizona
"The Father of Arizona" Born April 20, 1825 — Died June 24, 1902 Native of Kentucky Elected as first Arizona Delegate To Congress in 1864 This Monument erected by the State of Arizona in Conjunction with Maricopa Chapter . . . — Map (db m26662) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — The Butterfield Stage Route
The Butterfield stage route between Saint Louis and San Francisco passed through the main street of Van Buren, Arkansas and crossed the river at this point. — Map (db m96457) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — First Hotel and Bath House in the Hot Springs Territory
Near this spot around the year 1790 stood the first hotel and bath house built in the Hot Springs Territory. To mark the site of the first permanent citizen, the host of this tavern, JOHN PERCIFUL, reputed to have been a revolutionary soldier. This . . . — Map (db m102954) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — Auguste La noir de Serville
To honor Auguste La noir de Serville Hero of the American Revolution French Marine served under Count de Grasse Wounded Yorktown, VA Oct. 14, 1781 Died Jefferson Co. Ark. Dec. 30, 1828 — Map (db m30579) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Holly Grove — Beginning Point of the Louisiana Purchase Survey
This stone marks the base established Nov. 10, 1815 from which the lands of the Louisiana Purchase were surveyed by the United States Engineers. The first survey from this point was made to satisfy the claims of the soldiers of the War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m6037) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Prehistoric Indian Mound
One thousand feet due west was a prehistoric mound, 400 feet long, 150 feet wide, and 14 feet high. The remains of 450 Indians with stone implements and shell ornaments were found when the mound was remove in 1908. — Map (db m79861) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Don Pedro Fages Expedition
This marker designates the area where on March 27, 1772 a scientific team under the auspices of the Empire of Spain stopped on Strawberry Creek to include an observation of is now known as Golden Gate. According to Juan Crespi, diarist, the first . . . — Map (db m42034) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — El Camino Rancho San Antonio
About 1820, along this route ran the earliest known road from Mission San Jose over Rancho San Antonio to the ranchos north. Erected by Oakland Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1939 — Map (db m54112) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — First Latitude Sighting of the Golden Gate27 March 1772
Capt. Don Pedro, Father Fray Juan Crespi, fourteen soldiers, and a Christian Indian, camped here and took a latitude sighting of the Golden Gate. Agalanes • John Rutledge • Ann Loucks • Mount Diablo • Berkeley Hills • Oakland Campanile • . . . — Map (db m72138) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 1879 Site of Messilla Valley School
The Oregon School District was formed in 1856 and the schoolhouse stood near Dry Creek behind the old Pence Hotel. In 1872 the schoolhouse was relocated and rebuilt behind the existing corrals south of present day Durhan-Pentz Road. Following the . . . — Map (db m65869) HM
California (Glenn County), Bayliss — Bayliss Library
This historic Carnegie Library was built to serve the small, rural population of the surrounding area. It was dedicated on July 14, 1917, and has been in continuous use as a free public library since that date. The Willows Chapter . . . — Map (db m91797) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eureka Free Public Library
California’s first free library was established in Eureka on May 11, 1878 and was situated in this Carnegie Building 1904-1972 — Map (db m71976) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Imperial Valley Veterans' Memorial
This Memorial Erected in Honor of Those Who Served Their Country in Time of War By Veteran's Memorial Housing Committee - May 30, 1941 • Representing County Board of Supervisors - Hugh T. Osborne • Representing veterans of the war with . . . — Map (db m81827) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 157 — San Fernando Mission
Founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco Lasuen We honor those men of faith, courage and vision who guided the founding of the mission and also those who have preserved it for posterity — Map (db m50946) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Benjamin Davis WilsonDon Benito
. . . — Map (db m57271) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — San Gabriel MissionFounded September 8, 1771
This marks the oldest building in Southern California of brick, stone and mortar. Built 1791-1805, completed and dedicated. — Map (db m50947) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Point Fermin Light House
Panel 1: Point Fermin Light House Dedicated by Stephen M. White and Rudecinda Parlors Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West San Pedro, California May 2, 1940 - Built 1874 Panel 2: Point Fermin . . . — Map (db m51006) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 681 — Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree
Planted in 1907 as an experiment for the University of California. — Map (db m50978) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Marin
Indian Warrior Baptized by Franciscan Fathers. A Ferryman on the San Francisco Bay, He Became Known as El Marinero (The Sailor) Died about 1835 — Map (db m102758) HM
California (Monterey County), Carmel-by-the-Sea — Early American Baptisms in California
Honoring Four Early Americans in California They came to this coast as seamen and remained as settlers Baptized in this Mission George Mayo, of Plymouth, Mass., on 3 August, 1816 Thomas W. Doak, of Boston, Mass., on 22 November, 1816 . . . — Map (db m63684) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Colton Hall – Site of California’s Original Constitution
Forty-eight men of diverse education and cultural backgrounds from throughout California converged upon Monterey in September in 1849 to frame a constitutional government for California. Working together as Californians, they created this . . . — Map (db m63348) HM
California (Monterey County), Salinas — The Oldest Home in Salinas
Built in 1868 for the first mayor of the city Isaac Julian Harvey Dedicated by Santa Lucia Chapter, NSDAR 2012 — Map (db m63637) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Mother Colony House
This house was built in 1857 by Mr. Geo. Hansen the promoter of that little colony of Germans who founded what is now the City of Anaheim, and originally stood on N. Los Angeles St. between Chartres & Cypress Sts. The building was a gift from . . . — Map (db m51963) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — School House
Typical of one room schoolhouse of the 1800's is this one from Beloit, Kansas. Built in 1879, it housed 8 classes at a time from the first through the eighth grades. Schools rarely had more than two rooms in those days, due not only to the limited . . . — Map (db m103383) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forrest — Heritage Hill Historic Park
The building and artifacts on this site are significant remnants of the history of Saddleback Valley. They serve as reminders that the efforts and accomplishments of those who lived here before us, are the basis of our communities today. — Map (db m76718) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — 203 — Red Hill
A promontory which served as a landmark for early travelers. It was called "Katuktu" by the Indians. — Map (db m52087) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "El Adobe de Capistrano"
An historic landmark uniting the "Miguel Yorba Adobe" 1778 "Juzgado" (Court and Jail) 1812 — Map (db m51945) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Historical Auburn Fire House
Erected in 1891 by the volunteer firemen of Auburn Hook and Ladder Company No.2 with funds raised by public subscription. Dedicated May 21, 1892. In continuous use until 1954 — Map (db m11920) HM
California (Riverside County), Hemet — 104 — Pochea Indian Village Site
Pochea was one of cluster of Indian villages forming the very large settlement of Pahsitna which extended along the ridge east and west of Ramona Bowl. Pahsitnah was thriving when the Spanish first passed by in 1774. A tragic story tells of the . . . — Map (db m50668) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — The First Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California
To Commemorate the introduction of the first Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California, brought to Riverside from Lakeland, Florida in 1890 by Twogood and Cutter, pioneer nurserymen, and to honor J.E. Cutter who planted here one of those first trees. — Map (db m82144) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — 195 — Mission San Juan Bautista
Founded June 24, 1797 by Father Laseun 15th of the 21 Missions largest and only church with 3 aisles. Dedicated in 1812 Monastery wing consisted of 36 rooms This Mission has never been abandoned. It is now the parish church of San Juan . . . — Map (db m82242) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Loma Linda — 95 — Guachama Rancheria
"Guachama Rancheria, lying along this road, was named San Bernardino May 20, 1810, by Francisco Dumetz. In 1819 it became the San Bernardino Rancho of Mission San Gabriel. The adobe administration building stood about 70 yds. north of this spot, an . . . — Map (db m51015) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Upland — 1028 — Madonna of the Trail
(South Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (East Face) This trail, trod by the Padres in Spanish Days, became, under Mexican rule, the road connecting Los Angeles, later the American Post Road. . . . — Map (db m162) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — 239 — Mission San Luís Rey de Francia
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuen, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyri. Notable for its impressive architecture — a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican. — Map (db m401) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Birthplace of The San Diego Union
A pioneer newspaper of California Founded October 10, 1868 — Map (db m11661) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Juan Bandini
[Upper Marker] Dedicated to Juan Bandini 1800 – 1859 Patriot and Friend of the United States [Lower Marker] This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United . . . — Map (db m13062) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — La Playa Trail
JEDEDIAH STRONG SMITH Pathfinder of the Sierras Here completed the first trail from The Atlantic to the Pacific, Jan. 1827 — Map (db m14502) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Lt. George H. Derby
. . . — Map (db m84359) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 82 — Castillo de San Joaquin
The first ship to enter San Francisco Bay, the San Carlos (Captain Ayala), dropped anchor off this point August 5, 1775. Lieutenant-Colonel Don Juan Bautista de Anza planted the cross on Cantil Blanco (White Cliff) March 28, 1776. The first . . . — Map (db m10742) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Misión San Francisco de Asís(Mission Dolores)
. . . — Map (db m72525) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — North West Corner of Original Presidio
. . . — Map (db m12616) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Raising of the American Flag
On this spot the American flag was first raised in San Francisco by Commander John B. Montgomery of the U.S.S. Portsmouth July 9, 1846 — Map (db m81722) HM
California (San Mateo County), Millbrae — 27 — First Camp After Discovery of San Francisco Bay
On November 4, 1769, the expedition of Captain Gaspar de Portola, after crossing Sweeny Ridge, beheld the Bay of San Francisco for the first time. That night they camped at a small lagoon, now covered by San Andreas Lake. Finding the bay too large . . . — Map (db m70737) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara PresidioFounded 1782
This tablet marks the southeasterly boundary of the Santa Barbara Presidio founded in 1782 by Gov. Felipe de Neve and Capt. Jose Francisco Ortega in command of fifty soldiers accompanied by Fray Junipero Serra who dedicated the site. — Map (db m51994) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — 443 — Patchen
“Mountain Charley” McKiernan, one of the earliest residents of the Santa Crux Mountains, settled near here in 1850. John Martin Schultheis and his wife homesteaded land about a mile from here in 1852. Their home still standing (1950). . . . — Map (db m53475) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Cornish Pump
A significant problem in mining is groundwater removal. Water limited the depth of early miners until the Cornish pump was introduced in the 18th Century. Cornish pumps originated in the tin and copper mining region of Cornwall, England, and evolved . . . — Map (db m49855) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — D Retort and Condensing System
The D retort, line the rotary furnace, was used to recover mercury from cinnabar ore. Whereas the rotary furnace was a continuously-operating system, the D retort was loaded with ore, fired for a period of time (usually 8 to 24 hours), then allowed . . . — Map (db m49862) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gould Rotary Furnace and Condensing System
The rotary furnace was used to recover mercury from cinnabar ore. Finely crushed ore fro the fine ore bin entered the furnace by means of a feeder known as a shotgun or bump feeder. The feeder periodically injected a measured amount of ore into the . . . — Map (db m52818) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hacienda Mining Display
Preserved here is equipment used in quicksilver mining. A few examples are from New Almaden, but most are from the Guadalupe Mine and were used in the last fifty years of mining, until the mines closed in the 1970s. The equipment is organized . . . — Map (db m49854) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mancha “Little Trammer” Battery Locomotive
The Mancha “Little Trammer” is one of the smallest mining locomotives manufactured by the Mancha Storage Battery Locomotive Company. It is powered by batteries, allowing it to be used deep within the mines without emitting toxic fumes. . . . — Map (db m52823) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mercury Storage Vault
After cleaned mercury is collected, it was placed in iron flasks for transportation to market. A flask of mercury weighs about 76 pounds when filled and a flask needs to be strong because of the density of the liquid metal. Filled containers of . . . — Map (db m49858) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mine Air Compressors
These two air compressors are typical of those used in hard-rock mining. The Gardner-Denver air compressor, powered by a gasoline engine, is a mobile type that was moved to wherever it was needed. The Ingersoll-Rand air compressor, powered by an . . . — Map (db m52821) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mine Ventilation Fans
Ventilation fans provided fresh air for miners deep within the mines. Ventilation pipe connected to fans carried air wherever it was needed in the mine to provide miners with breathable air by diluting and displacing dust and noxious gases. Fans . . . — Map (db m52822) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Shaker-Concentrator
The shaker-concentrator, also known as a shaker table, was used in gravity beneficiation (the concentration of ore) for sorting fine-grained materials, such as heavy cinnabar, from ordinary rock and dust particles. The beneficiation process was . . . — Map (db m49860) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Skip Loader
The skip loader was used to carry cinnabar ore to the surface from deep in the mines. A motor-driven hoist pulled the skip loader up tracks until it reached the surface, where two sets of tracks, one inside pair and one outside pair, were reached. . . . — Map (db m52820) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — In This Cemetery is Buried Capt. William Smith
Two plaques have been placed at this memorial. In This Cemetery is Buried Capt. William Smith Born in Virginia, November 14, 1768 Died in Sonoma, May 5 1846 Who served in the Virginia Navy during the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m102559) HM WM
California (Stanislaus County), Knights Ferry — Knight's Ferry — 1849 - 1930
Knight's Ferry was founded by Captain William Knight, a member of Fremont's expedition of 1844. This town was a center of great mining activity and was a distributing point for the mother lode country. In 1854 the first sawmill and flour mill for . . . — Map (db m42195) HM
Colorado (Costilla County), Fort Garland — 16 — Fort Garland
This memorial is the property of the State of Colorado ——— Fort Garland United States military outpost to protect settlers from hostile Indians. Named for Brig. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m22731) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Indian Trail
This stone marks the Indian Trail used by the Plains Indians to Ute Pass — Map (db m52001) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Monument — Old Stone Fort
This tablet is the property of the State of Colorado _____ Due south 610 feet is the Old Stone Fort built at the pioneer home of David McShane. Constructed as a defense against Arapaho and Cheyenne raiders. . . . — Map (db m104869) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Territorial Capital of Colorado1862 to 1867
This Tablet is the property of the State of Colorado ———— From 1862 to 1867 Golden was the Territorial Capital of Colorado Legislative sessions were held in this building (erected by W.A.H. . . . — Map (db m39337) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Estes Park — Enos A. Mills
Father of the Rocky Mountain National Park internationally known naturalist, author, lecturer and nature guide Homesteaded on this site in 1885. — Map (db m78715) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Loveland — 20 — Namaqua
This Memorial Is the Property Of The State Of Colorado Namaqua Home, trading post and fort of Mariano Modena, early trapper, scout and pioneer. First settlement in the Big Thompson Valley. Station on Overland . . . — Map (db m51194) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Trinidad — Santa Fe Trail
This monument marks the route of the Santa Fe Trail 1822 - 1879 placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Colorado It also commemorates the faithful work of Harriett Parker Campbell . . . — Map (db m77856) HM
Colorado (Logan County), Sterling — Sterling’s First Public School
This tablet commemorates the establishment of the first public school in the Sterling settlement, October, 1875. It was taught by Carrie G. Ayres, later Mrs. J. N. Hall of Denver. The sod schoolhouse stood 3160 feet east and the sod fort built by . . . — Map (db m51221) HM
Colorado (Logan County), Sterling — William Shaw Hadfield
This tablet is erected in honor of William Shaw Hadfield The first white settler of Logan County, marking the site of his first sod house at Hadfield Island in 1871, three-fourths mile east. Erected by the wife Margaret Seibert . . . — Map (db m61996) HM
Colorado (Morgan County), Fort Morgan — Old Fort Morgan
Occupied from 1864 to 1868 and the divergence of the Denver Cut Off from the Overland Trail This monument is erected by Fort Morgan Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution 1912 — Map (db m51213) HM
Colorado (Prowers County), Lamar — Madonna of the Trail
(Front Panel) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days (Right Side Panel) A place of historical lore noted for Indian lodges; shelter from storm and heat; food supply for beast; bivouac . . . — Map (db m106897) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Pueblo — Fort PuebloSite of Indian Massacre — Dec 25, 1854
This memorial commemorating the Old Pueblo Fort Site erected by The Arkansas Valley & Pueblo Chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution. Dedicated Nov. 17, 1923. On Christmas Day, 1854, a massacre occurred at Fort Pueblo on the . . . — Map (db m64755) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Pueblo — 44 — Jacob Fowler's Lookout - Fountain City
This tablet is the Property of the State of Colorado —— The hill one block east is Jacob Fowler's Lookout. Later called Sugar Loaf Hill. Near it in a log house Fowler and his trappers . . . — Map (db m96053) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Oldest Cemetery 1684
Oldest Cemetery 1684 Danbury Erected by Mary Wooster Chapter N.S.D.A.R. — Map (db m23050) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Boulder
This boulder commemorates the settlement of Fairfield by Roger Ludlow in 1639 and the burning of the Town by the British July 8, 1779. From the founding of the Town the religious, military and civic life of the people has centered . . . — Map (db m27227) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Revolutionary War Memorial
1775   1783 In everlasting memory of the Patriots and Soldiers of Fairfield who served in the War of the American Revolution ——— Erected by the Eunice Dennie Burr Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution A.D. . . . — Map (db m27171) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Men of Greenfield Hill
In Memory Of The Men Of Greenfield Hill Who Fought In The American Revolution John Alvord • Benjamin Banks 4th • Daniel Banks • David Banks • Ebenezer Banks Esq. • Ebenezer Banks • Elijah Banks • Eliphalet Banks • Gershom Banks • Gershom . . . — Map (db m27420) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Putnam's Escape
This Marks The Spot Where On February 26, 1779 General Israel Putnam, Cut Off From His Soldiers And Pursued By British Cavalry, Galloped Down This Rocky Steep And Escaped, Daring To Lead Where Not One Of Many Hundred Foes Dared To . . . — Map (db m38607) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — In Commemoration
1732 ---- 1932 In Commemoration Of The Two Hundredth Birthday Of George Washington ---- Rochambeau Established a Camp Here June 28 To July 1, 1781 ---- Soldiers Commanded By Lafayette Camped At This Spot Placed by Mary . . . — Map (db m26914) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Battle of the Rocks Monument
On this historic ground the American Patriots bravely sustained the cause of Liberty against the British Invaders July 12, 1779 ---------- Erected by the D.A.R. of Norwalk 1894. — Map (db m53435) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Burning of Norwalk
From the summit of this hill Maj. Gen. William Tryon witnessed the Burning of Norwalk by the British troops under his command during the engagement of July 11 & 12, 1779. --------------- Erected by Norwalk Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m53434) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Fitch’s Point
. . . — Map (db m53437) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Flax Hill Monument
. . . — Map (db m53438) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Norwalk FoundedA.D. 1849
. . . — Map (db m53436) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Fort Stamford
To mark the site near by of Fort Stamford Built and garrisoned for the defense of the people in these parts in the War for American Independence Erected by Stamford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Sept. 14, A.D. 1926 < Lower . . . — Map (db m53431) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — The Settlement of Stamford in 1641
This tablet has been placed by Stamford Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate The Settlement of Stamford in 1641 During that year, twenty nine men and their families came from Wethersfield to this place. . . . — Map (db m38609) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Old Congregational Burying Ground
[Left Plaque] In honor of the men and women who planted in the wilderness the early homes of Stratford, who fought bravely and suffered patiently in the War of the American Revolution, and who left to their descendents a . . . — Map (db m26099) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Ye Olde King’s HighwayOldest Mail Route In America
. . . — Map (db m25818) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Captain Clapp Raymond
. . . — Map (db m30643) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — New Cambridge (now Bristol)
New Cambridge (now Bristol) Was Settled 1727 – 8 Since Early Days The Federal Hill Green Has Been Used As A Training Ground For Soldiers And A Playground For Children This Boulder Was Placed By Katherine Gaylord Chapter . . . — Map (db m34240) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Canton — In Memory of Phoebe Humphrey
On this site, in 1778, Phoebe Humphrey protected her home from Hessian soldiers who were part of Burgoyne’s captured army headed for Boston. Because of her bravery, she became the namesake of the Collinsville Chapter of the National Society of . . . — Map (db m94480) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Manchester — Revolutionary War Soldiers of Orford Parish
In Memory of the Revolutionary Soldiers Of Orford Parish — Map (db m98733) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Brig. Gen. John Patterson House
About Thirty Feet from this Spot Stood the House in Which Brig. Gen. John Patterson Was Born in 1743 - 4 Member of two Provincial Congresses from Lenox Mass. Leader in the War of Independence Distinguished Jurist and Member of . . . — Map (db m41611) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Weatogue Bridge
A toll bridge was built here in 1734 by order of the General Assembly it was the first highway bridge across the Farmington River — Map (db m102001) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Southington — Constitution Oak
This Is A Constitution Oak Presented To The Hon. M. H. Holcomb A Delegate To The Constitutional Convention In Hartford 1902 Marked By Hannah Woodruff Chapter D.A.R. 1929 — Map (db m33713) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — First Public Library Building in West Hartford
First Public Library Building in West Hartford Erected as a Memorial to Noah Webster Presented to the Town by Sarah Whitman Hooker Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Aided by Funds Collected from Townspeople February 27, . . . — Map (db m53371) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Old Fort Marker1633 - 1933
On the brow of the hill overlooking the meadow stood the Old Stone Fort or Stoughton House. It was in two portions, one stone, probably the older, and one wood. At the north end was a door of heavy oak timbers studded with iron spikes, which bore . . . — Map (db m28364) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Peoples State Forest
This portion of the Peoples Forest was given by the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution 1929 Near this spot was the site of an Indian Village — Map (db m93827) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), New Milford — Home Site Of Roger Sherman
Marker on New Milford Town Hall building:On the site of this building once lived Roger Sherman Born 1721 – Died 1793 One of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence ************* Placed by the Roger Sherman Chapter . . . — Map (db m20922) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Watertown — Jonathan Scott and Hannah Hawkes
[ west side ] To commemorate the suffering and torture inflicted by the Indians upon Jonathan Scott and Hannah Hawkes, his wife, the first permanent settlers of Watertown, this memorial is erected by the Waterbury and Watertown Chapters . . . — Map (db m31165) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Watertown — Michael DaytonCaptain of Connecticut
Revolutionary War Soldier Michael Dayton Captain of Connecticut Born June 4, 1722 Died Sept. 22, 1776 Placed by Sarah Whitman Trumbull Chapter NSDAR   May 1996 — Map (db m31164) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Winsted — Winchester Revolutionary War Memorial
In Grateful Remembrance Of the Soldiers of the American Revolution Who Are Buried In The Town Of Winchester Stephen Wade • Ozias Bronson • Wail Loomis • John Dare • Richard Coit • Moses Hatch • Roswell Grant • Oliver Coe • Solomon Wheadon • . . . — Map (db m29901) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Winsted — Winchester World War I Memorial
To Keep In Rememberance The Men Of Winchester Who Gave Their Service Even Unto Death For Their Country And Her Kindred Nations Beyond The Seas 1917 – 1918 This Tablet Is Erected And These Oaks Stand As A Living . . . — Map (db m29984) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Ansonia — Charter Oak Seedling
In observance of the U.S. Bicentennial, Elizabeth Clarke Hull Chapter NSDAR marks the site of a Charter Oak seedling given to the City of Ansonia Oct. 27, 1966, by former Mayor Frank P. Fitzpatrick May 15, 1976Map (db m25407) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Ansonia — Pork Hollow
Pork Hollow. Near this spot where hidden military stores belonging to the army of the Revolution during Tryon’s raid through Connecticut. — Map (db m29526) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Cheshire — Cheshire Revolutionary War Monument
. . . — Map (db m22404) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — Jefferson Bridge
. . . — Map (db m26441) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — King’s Bridge1711
Site of King’s Bridge - 1711 connecting Peacocke Lane (Maple Street) to Governor’s Lane (Avenue) Freelove Baldwin Stow Chapter D.A.R. July 4, 1962 — Map (db m26331) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Revolutionary War Tercentennial Memorial
A Tercentennial Memorial to all American Revolutionary War soldiers buried in this cemetery — Map (db m23601) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), West Haven — Bradley Point Park
Bradley Point Park On July 5, 1779, British invasion forces under the command of Brigadier General Garth landed on this spot. Dedicated – July 5, 1984 City of West Haven Lawrence C. Minichino Mayor Plaque Donated By The Eve . . . — Map (db m27868) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Revolutionary War Patriot John Banning
Born in 1740 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Died Feb, 15, 1791 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Justice of the Peace Member of Joint Committee of Accounts, Committee of Correspondence, Council of Safety, and General Assembly. — Map (db m42754) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware's Independence Hall

Built in 1732 as the statehouse for Pennsylvania's "Three Lower Counties on the Delaware," the New Castle Court House was the scene of a dramatic vote on June 15, 1776 when the colonial assembly declared independence from both Great Britain and . . . — Map (db m102546) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Richard Bassett
In honored memory of Richard Basset. Signer of the Constitution of the United States by the Delaware State Society, NSDAR, in this Bicentennial Year 1987 — Map (db m61006) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — General Peterson Goodwyn
Commemorating The American Revolutionary Service of General Peterson Goodwyn General Peterson Goodwyn equipped his own company and was cited for gallantry at the battles of Smithfield and Great Bridge — member of the Virginia House of . . . — Map (db m80692) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — “The President’s Trees”
Dedicated by Maryland State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 21, 1934. Growing on land that was once a part of Maryland and was in 1790 her gift to the United States of America for the national capitol, the 31 trees in this group . . . — Map (db m4893) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Christ Church, Washington ParishFounded May 25, 1795 — [National Register of Historic Places]
First church in City of Washington. Present edifice dedicated October 8, 1809, by Bishop Thomas J. Claggett, first bishop consecrated on American soil - in New York, 1792. — Map (db m39163) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Washington Meridian"The Stone" — 1804 - 1923
The stone marking the Washington Meridian was formerly located 52 feet, nine inches west of this tablet which was presented by the Army and Navy Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m82518) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 9
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Capt Molly Pitcher Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5283) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Home of James Monroe
Built in 1802 This house was the home of James Monroe Lieutenant-Colonel in the American Revolution While Secretary of State and of War under Madison, and for the first six months of his administration as fifth President of the United States, . . . — Map (db m97526) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), East Corner — Original Federal Boundary Stone East
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Dist. of Co. Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5281) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fairfax Village — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Ruth Brewster Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m82433) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — NSDAR Founders Memorial
The NSDAR was founded in Washington DC on October 11, 1890. On April 17, 1929, Grace L. H. Brosseau, President General, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, dedicated this memorial to the four founders of the NSDAR: Mary Desha, . . . — Map (db m50836) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Davis — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 2
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Marcia Burns Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m73105) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Chesapeake and Ohio CanalNational Historical Marker
One of the best preserved and least altered of old American canals, the Chesapeake and Ohio grew from Washington's vision of linking the valleys of the early west with the east by “ties of communication,” The Potomac Company fostered by . . . — Map (db m97477) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Last Home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D.
This tablet marks the last home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. An officer in the Revolution 1747-1833 To the youth under his academic guidance he gave military training and led them in active service. For fifty years he was a leader in the . . . — Map (db m97760) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Lamond Riggs — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Our Flag Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5284) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Lamond Riggs — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 4
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Elizabeth Jackson Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5149) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Marshall Heights — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Sarah Franklin Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m82452) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), North Portal Estates — Original Federal Boundary Stone North
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Maryland Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5110) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Palisades — Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 4
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed • 1791 • 1792 Protected by Columbia Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution July 12, 1915 — Map (db m82346) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shepherd Park — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 1
This plaque marks the site of the District of Columbia North-East Boundary Stone No. 1 originally placed here 1791 - 1792 Presented by The Mary Washington Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution and United States . . . — Map (db m5285) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shipley Terrace — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 5
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Louisa Adams Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m73009) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Washington Highlands — Original Federal Boundary Stone Southeast 6
Original Federal Boundary Stone Southeast 6 District of Columbia 1791–1792 Plaque placed in 2014 by Martha Washington Chapter NSDAR Washington, DC — Map (db m82366) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodridge — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 5
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Constitution Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5148) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodridge — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 6
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791–1792 Protected by Livingston Manor Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m5109) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — Site of the First Church
Site of the first church erected between New Smyrna and Key West A community church — Map (db m101180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Little Red SchoolhouseMelbourne Florida's First School
Melbourne's oldest surviving schoolhouse built 1883 by John Goode at his house on the river. Both black and white students, attended 5-6 summer months, sat on benches. Wrote on slates, drank from well near by. Bought by South Brevard Historical . . . — Map (db m55420) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — The Hernandez-Capron Trail
The Hernandez-Capron Trail parallels I-95 here in Brevard County. Laid out in 1838 by U.S. Army during Second Seminole war, it linked King's Road in St. Augustine and forts along St. John's River with Ft. Capron, 4 mi. north of present Ft. Pierce. . . . — Map (db m75839) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Hernandez Trail
Hernandez Trail 1837-1928 — Map (db m102313) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
On this spot, January 31, 1893, Frank Stranahan, the founder of this city, conducted a ferry across New River, established a trading post with the Indians and operated the first U.S. Post Office. Seven tenths of a mile west of this point . . . — Map (db m100795) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Ivy Julia Cromartie Stranahan
Born at White Springs, Florida, on the banks of the Suwannee River, came to Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1899 as the town's first school teacher. She married Frank Stranahan in 1900 and lived at the Indian Trading Post on New River, where she . . . — Map (db m100385) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Fort Cooper
Fort Cooper was constructed in April 1836 during the Second Seminole War. General Winfield Scott instructed the First Georgia Battalion of Volunteers under the leadership of Major Mark Anthony Cooper to build two bastions and a blockhouse on the . . . — Map (db m93258) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — Apalachee Trail
The Apalachee Indian Trail of early times passed in this vicinity through Alligator - now Lake City - to near the upper mineral springs - White Springs - on to Tallahassee via Alapaha. This marker commemorates, also, the historically . . . — Map (db m57642) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic King's Road British East Florida
The King's Road, built by the British prior to the American Revolution, began at the St. Mary's River, passed through Cowford (Jacksonville), crossed the St. John's River, it is believed, at present day Liberty Street, approximately one mile east of . . . — Map (db m60398) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jean Ribaut
Jean Ribaut and a party of Huguenots landed the morning of May 1, 1562 on this island. Here they knelt in prayer, beseeching God's guidance and commending the natives to his care. This was the first Protestant prayer in North America. — Map (db m40024) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Ribault Monument
(Front): This is a replica of the marker placed on or near this spot by Jean Ribaut May First 1562 in taking possession of Florida for France. (Back): Erected by the Florida Daughters of the American Revolution May First 1924 . . . — Map (db m46578) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Battle of PensacolaMarch 9 to May 8, 1781
On March 9, 1781, Spanish General Bernardo de Galvez, with a fleet of some 30 ships, arrived opposite Pensacola Bay and within a day took Santa Rosa Island. On March 18, Galvez, in his ship Galveztown, sailed under the cannon of the Royal Navy . . . — Map (db m72252) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — De Soto
1539 1926 [ DAR Emblem ] This Tablet Erected By De Soto Chapter D.A.R. Marks the tree under which tradition say's De Soto Parleyed with the Indians — Map (db m20789) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old SchoolhousePlaced on the National Register of Historic Places 1975
Built circa 1855 by Gen. Jesse Carter for his daughter Josephine. He employed Mrs. Louisa Porter as teacher. The first class included Josephine Carter, Janie Givens, Mary Lesley, Mary Kelly, Eugenia Spencer, Lizzie Spencer and Hayden Porter. Jessie . . . — Map (db m33902) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Orchid — F-222 — Site of Survivors’ and Salvagers’ CampThe 1715 Fleet
Late in July, 1715, a hurricane destroyed a fleet of eleven or possibly twelve homeward bound merchant ships carrying cargoes of gold and silver coinage and other valuable items from the American colonies to Spain. About 1500 men, women, and . . . — Map (db m14306) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Goodwood Mansion(Old Croom Mansion)
The land upon which Goodwood Mansion was constructed was part of the original land grant rewarded to the Marquis de Lafayette for his service during the Revolutionary War. Hardy Croom of North Carolina, a planter and recognized naturalist, purchased . . . — Map (db m67032) HM
Florida (Martin County), Hobe Sound — F-57 — Jonathan Dickinson Shipwreck
Three miles to the east on September 23, 1696, the British barkentine Reformation foundered off Jupiter Island. The 24 survivors included a party of Quakers bound from Jamaica to Pennsylvania. Leader of the Quakers was Jonathan Dickinson who . . . — Map (db m14311) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-455 — Coral Gables Merrick House
In July 1899, Congregational minister Solomon Greasley Merrick (1859-1911) and his wife Althea (1859-1937) purchased sight unseen the surrounding 160 acres for $1,100. Several months later, Merrick and his son George (1886-1942) came from . . . — Map (db m73631) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation
Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation established by Rev. Solomon Greasley Merrick Post in fig tree only evidence remaining — Map (db m73634) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Amelia Island Lighthouse
Standing at the highest point on the island, the Amelia Island Lighthouse was built from bricks re-used from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse in 1839 on land purchased from Mary Fernandez. The 67 foot tall lighthouse has walls four feet thick at the . . . — Map (db m33367) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Revolutionary War Invasion of British East Florida
In May 1777, Colonel Samuel Elbert's Continentals landed on the North End of Amelia Island at Oldtown Bluff, approximately one mile north of Florida. A patrol engaged in a skirmish with British troops on the south end of the island. An officer, Lt. . . . — Map (db m33414) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland1838 — Directly east of this highway
Fort Maitland was built in November 1838 by Lt. Col. Alexander C. W. Fanning, U.S.A. (1788-1848) on the military road connecting Fort Melon (Sanford) with Fort Gatlin (Orlando) and used as a stockade in the war between the United States and the . . . — Map (db m7452) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — "Lest We Forget"
In memory of the Orange County Boys who gave their lives in the World War Erected by the Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution aided by patriotic citizens of Orange County 1924 — Map (db m7420) WM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Fort Gatlin 1838
Marking the site of Fort Gatlin 1838 Military OutpostMap (db m54077) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Ft. Jupiter - Jupiter Lighthouse
Fort Jupiter was located three miles west on Loxahatchee River, erected January 1838 by troops commanded by Major General Thomas S. Jessup, establishing base for operations in the Seminole Indian Wars. Jupiter Lighthouse, approximately one mile . . . — Map (db m96947) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Site of Old Fort Dade
This is the site of Old Fort Dade built in 1835 and dedicated to Major Francis Dade — Map (db m67111) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance
(Front side)The American's Creed I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a . . . — Map (db m50509) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — First Settlement and Post Office
One fourth mile east from this point is the site of the first settlement in 1857 and the first Post Office in 1876 of St. Petersburg, then called Pinellas. — Map (db m50455) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — The History of Princess Hirrihigua
In 1526 Juan Ortiz, a member of the expedition sent from Cuba to find Panfilo De Narvaez, was captured by Timucan Indians. Chief Hirrihigua, their ruler, hated the white men because of the violence of Narvaez. Juan Ortiz was condemned to death but . . . — Map (db m50463) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Site of Fort Blount
. . . — Map (db m54085) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — Chief Chipco
In memory of Chief Chipco Lover of peace Friend of the white man His Seminole Indian village was located on Bonars Island in Lake Hamilton 1855 Dedicated by Ponce De Leon Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m43264) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution
From the onset of the American Revolution in 1775, the British Crown Colony in East Florida was a Loyalist bastion. In its capital, St. Augustine, the British lodged as prisoners many American Patriots and their French allies. Most of these . . . — Map (db m46802) HM

1392 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1192
Paid Advertisement