Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electricity over long distances. The . . . — Map (db m10693) HM
2.9 miles south on Rocky River
Anderson Water, Light, & Power Co.,
organized in 1894 by
William C. Whitner,
was successful the next year
in transmitting electricity over
the distance of six miles
This achievement was a . . . — Map (db m88441) HM
The first cotton gin to be powered by electricity transmitted over a long distance stood near this site on the farm of Oliver "Duck" Bolt (1847-1922). In 1897 Bolt, whose gin had previously been powered by a steam engine, contracted with the . . . — Map (db m15161) HM
Half mile West on Seneca River
the Portman Shoals Power Plant,
built by William C. Whitner,
began in 1897 the transmission
of high-voltage electricity over
the longest lines then in use for
that purpose in the United States.
The . . . — Map (db m10696) HM
Three educational institutions have been in this immediate area: Johnson Female University (1856-63) named for William Bullein Johnson; the Carolina Collegiate Institute (about 1866-90) under W. J. Ligon; and Patrick Military Institute . . . — Map (db m10524) HM
This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is now Anderson County, was organized about 1790 about 1 1/2 mi. SW of this site. Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until . . . — Map (db m11747) HM
Oldest Presbyterian Church
in continuous existence
in Anderson County.
Organized in 1789.
First pastor, Rev. John Simpson.
Congregation worshipped at three
sites nears Generostee Creek,
three miles west of Iva.
Old cemetery at . . . — Map (db m9479) HM
At this site once stood the town of Moffettsville, originating with the establishment of Moffett's Mills Post Office on February 16, 1818. By 1883, the town had a population of twenty-five with a physician and general store. . . . — Map (db m23812) HM
On April 8, 1790, the Justices of the Peace for Pendleton County purchased this land to establish the courthouse town of Pendleton. Once Cherokee Indian land, the town became the judicial, social and commercial center for what now are Anderson, . . . — Map (db m9614) HM
This London newspaper publisher and defender of a free press emigrated to Charleston in 1783 where he served as state printer and publisher of the first daily newspaper in South Carolina. Later in Pendleton he founded Miller's Weekly . . . — Map (db m9646) HM
Sandy Springs Camp Ground: This Methodist camp ground named for the large spring nearby, dates to 1828, when a fifteen-acre site was purchased from Sampson Pope for $45. Early meetings were under a brush arbor until a central wooden shelter . . . — Map (db m10785) HM
One thousand feet due north on a site now covered by Hartwell Reservoir, the Portman Shoals Power Plant, built by William C. Whitner, began the transmission of high-voltage electricity in 1897 over the longest lines then used for that purpose in . . . — Map (db m10783) HM
One of the oldest congregations and the mother of several others in Anderson County, it was organized in 1788 by Elder Moses Holland who served as pastor for 41 years. Dr. James Bruton Gambrell's mother was a member here. Soldiers of five wars . . . — Map (db m8441) HM
On May 1, 1865, cadets from the Arsenal Academy at Columbia, under Capt. John Peyre Thomas, who were en route from Greenville to Newberry to be disbanded, met a band of Stoneman's raiders near here in one of the last engagements of the war, which . . . — Map (db m8395) HM