Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Historical Markers

A guide to Round Valley's Historic Sites. 28 native sandstone markers are placed along this "valley loop" around Springerville and Eagar, Arizona.
 
26 Bar Hereford Ranch Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 24, 2010
26 Bar Hereford Ranch Marker
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 8 — 26 Bar Hereford Ranch
Once owned & often visited by film legend John Wayne, the ranch with the prominent white show barn came to fame in the 1940s as the Milky Way Hereford Ranch, owned by the Mars Candy Family. — Map (db m36611) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 9 — Amity School
This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — Map (db m36614) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 11 — Benjamin B. Crosby Home
An early 1900s adobe home built by the son of Eagar's first Mormon Bishop. Crosby, a major sheep & cattle rancher, was a railroad contractor who in 1917 laid the track for the Santa Fe Railroad north of here. — Map (db m36626) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 7 — Colter Ranch
Below among the large cottonwood trees are the historic hdqtrs of Fred T. Colter's Cross Bar Ranch. Originally homesteaded in 1881 by Texan Micajah Phelps, Colter built the ranch into one of the largest cattle operations in Northeastern AZ. — Map (db m36609) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 13 — Eagar Elementary School
After the original frame school house burned in 1930, this building served Eagar's children for 53 years. Mothers prepared hot lunch across the street creating Eagar's own depression era "soup lines" at 5 cents a cup for the children. — Map (db m36628) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 15 — Harry Colter Home
Completed in 1912 by J.P. LeSueur manager of the Eagar ACMI, this frame house with a skin of pressed metal wall sheathing is best known as home to one of the Colter Bros. important Round Valley Ranchers. — Map (db m36643) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 14 — Joseph Udall Barn
Built in the early 1900s by one of Eagar's prominent civic, religious & business leaders, this barn was constructed with wooden pegs & retains remarkable architectural integrity. The 2-story brick farmhouse no longer stands. — Map (db m36640) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 12 — Oscar Jepson Home
Built c.1892, this adobe structure once housed the Eagar School & later a bootlegger's still. Jepson purchased & enlarged the home in 1925 & moved his family from Alpine so his daughters could attend Round Valley High School. — Map (db m36627) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 10 — Rencher Home
On July 24, 1900, the Peter P. Rencher family arrived from Texas in four wagons & set about building their place in Eagar. Completed in 1913, this 5 bedroom, red brick Colonial Revival home was the crown jewel of their labors. — Map (db m36618) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 6 — Snyder-Cavanaugh Shoot Out
In 1878, this notorious outlaw gang clashed over dividing their loot. A heated gunfight occurred in the saddle of this hill and it is said that at least seven died. Here lie their last known remains. — Map (db m36607) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Eagar — 16 — William LeSueur Home 1913
This handsome example of Colonial Revival architecture was home to the manager of Round Valley's ACMIs. His wife, the area's first registered nurse, boarded expectant mothers & teachers from the high school. — Map (db m36645) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 25 — Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution
Built of adobe in 1901 with a cast iron front shipped from St. Louis, the ACMI was a branch of the Mormon Cooperative Store system for 17 yrs. It later served the community as a saloon, variety store & furniture emporium. — Map (db m36652) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 22 — Baca Home
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — Map (db m36383) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 21 — Baldonado Home
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900. — Map (db m36382) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 27 — Becker's Transcontinental Garage 1910
The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here. — Map (db m36379) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 17 — Bertha Wahl Shooting
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — Map (db m36647) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 4 — Brawley Boarding House
H.T. Brawley, teacher and principal of R.V.H.S. began construction on this house in approximately 1925. The unfinished shell sold to the M.J. Wiltbank Family in 1935. M.J. & son Clive completed the home. Through the years teachers, newlyweds & . . . — Map (db m36595) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 20 — El Rio Theatre
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — Map (db m36381) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 1 — Escudilla Mountain
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of . . . — Map (db m36592) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 19 — James Hale Shooting
On Dec. 25, 1886, James Hale was gunned down here in front of the Brighton Saloon. His accused was never brought to trial. In 1894 this site, then called Hunter's Hall, held the first Presbyterian services in the Round Valley. — Map (db m36651) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 28 — Madonna of the Trail
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 5 — Old Grist Mill Site 1876
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — Map (db m36597) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 24 — Peter Thompson Home & Blacksmith Shop
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville. — Map (db m36385) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 23 — Presbyterian & Catholic Churchs
Begun as missions in the late 1800s, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928). — Map (db m36384) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 2 — Slaughter Family Cemetary
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family. — Map (db m36593) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 26 — Springerville Schoolhouse 1884-1983
This bronze school bell summoned children until 1950. This 2 room adobe with high pitched roof & bell tower was added onto with brick, altering the entry & roof in 1927 & again in 1950. The school served the community 99 years. — Map (db m36653) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 3 — White Mountain Historical Park
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage. — Map (db m36594) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 18 — White Mountain Hospital
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — Map (db m36649) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement