On School Bus Road at West Central Avenue (Arizona Route 260), on the right when traveling south on School Bus Road.
Once owned & often visited by film legend John Wayne, the ranch with the prominent white show barn came to fame in the 1940s as the Milky Way Hereford Ranch, owned by the Mars Candy Family. — — Map (db m36611) HM
On West 26 Bar Road 0.4 miles west of School Bus Road, on the right when traveling west.
This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — — Map (db m36614) HM
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of West 6th Street, on the right when traveling north.
An early 1900s adobe home built by the son of Eagar's first Mormon Bishop. Crosby, a major sheep & cattle rancher, was a railroad contractor who in 1917 laid the track for the Santa Fe Railroad north of here. — — Map (db m36626) HM
On School Bus Road at West Central Avenue (Arizona Route 260), on the left when traveling south on School Bus Road.
Below among the large cottonwood trees are the historic hdqtrs of Fred T. Colter's Cross Bar Ranch. Originally homesteaded in 1881 by Texan Micajah Phelps, Colter built the ranch into one of the largest cattle operations in Northeastern AZ. — — Map (db m36609) HM
On Main Street at West 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
After the original frame school house burned in 1930, this building served Eagar's children for 53 years. Mothers prepared hot lunch across the street creating Eagar's own depression era "soup lines" at 5 cents a cup for the children. — — Map (db m36628) HM
On North Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Completed in 1912 by J.P. LeSueur manager of the Eagar ACMI, this frame house with a skin of pressed metal wall sheathing is best known as home to one of the Colter Bros. important Round Valley Ranchers. — — Map (db m36643) HM
On East Central Avenue 0 miles east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Built in the early 1900s by one of Eagar's prominent civic, religious & business leaders, this barn was constructed with wooden pegs & retains remarkable architectural integrity. The 2-story brick farmhouse no longer stands. — — Map (db m36640) HM
Built c.1892, this adobe structure once housed the Eagar School & later a bootlegger's still. Jepson purchased & enlarged the home in 1925 & moved his family from Alpine so his daughters could attend Round Valley High School. — — Map (db m36627) HM
On South Harless Street at West 8th Street, on the left when traveling north on South Harless Street.
On July 24, 1900, the Peter P. Rencher family arrived from Texas in four wagons & set about building their place in Eagar. Completed in 1913, this 5 bedroom, red brick Colonial Revival home was the crown jewel of their labors. — — Map (db m36618) HM
On South River Road 0.1 miles south of West Central Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
In 1878, this notorious outlaw gang clashed over dividing their loot. A heated gunfight occurred in the saddle of this hill and it is said that at least seven died. Here lie their last known remains. — — Map (db m36607) HM
On North Main Street at East 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
This handsome example of Colonial Revival architecture was home to the manager of Round Valley's ACMIs. His wife, the area's first registered nurse, boarded expectant mothers & teachers from the high school. — — Map (db m36645) HM
On East Main Street at South Papago Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
Built of adobe in 1901 with a cast iron front shipped from St. Louis, the ACMI was a branch of the Mormon Cooperative Store system for 17 yrs. It later served the community as a saloon, variety store & furniture emporium. — — Map (db m36652) HM
On Apache Street at Supai, on the left when traveling east on Apache Street.
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — — Map (db m36383) HM
On Apache Street at Silva Lane, on the left when traveling east on Apache Street.
Part of the Spanish migration from northern New Mexico to Round Valley, Faustin Baldonado & his son Pedro bought this adobe home w/1 foot thick walls in the 1890's. Originally a cantina, Pedro added rooms when he married in 1900. — — Map (db m36382) HM
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
The oldest continuously operated Ford dealership west of the Mississippi began in the west building in 1910. A pathfinding auto trip blazed the first "ocean to ocean highway" through here. — — Map (db m36379) HM
On West Airport Road at North Becker Lake Road, on the right when traveling west on West Airport Road.
In 1899, 14 year old Bertha Wahl was murdered here by a shepherd. Just south of here was the original Becker Store. Beyond lie the graves of the Becker family. Due west stood Henry Springer's Mercantile. — — Map (db m36647) HM
On East 4th Avenue at North Eagar Street, on the left when traveling west on East 4th Avenue.
H.T. Brawley, teacher and principal of R.V.H.S. began construction on this house in approximately 1925. The unfinished shell sold to the M.J. Wiltbank Family in 1935. M.J. & son Clive completed the home. Through the years teachers, newlyweds & . . . — — Map (db m36595) HM
On West Main Street (U.S. 180/191), on the right when traveling west.
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — — Map (db m36381) HM
On U.S. 60 at milepost 392, on the right when traveling east.
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of . . . — — Map (db m36592) HM
On South Mountain Avenue (Business U.S. 180), on the right when traveling south.
On Dec. 25, 1886, James Hale was gunned down here in front of the Brighton Saloon. His accused was never brought to trial. In 1894 this site, then called Hunter's Hall, held the first Presbyterian services in the Round Valley. — — Map (db m36651) HM
On East Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — — Map (db m36380) HM
On South River Road 0.3 miles south of West 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — — Map (db m36597) HM
On North Papago Street 0.2 miles north of Apache Street, on the right when traveling north.
These log structures built by Thompson, a Danish convert to Mormonism, are Round Valley's oldest surviving buildings (1879). The cabin hosted the first Mormon services in Springerville. — — Map (db m36385) HM
On Apache Street at Supai, on the right when traveling east on Apache Street.
Begun as missions in the late 1800s, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928). — — Map (db m36384) HM
On East Maricopa Drive 0.5 miles west of Gutierrez Street, on the left when traveling west.
First cousin to famed "Texas John Slaughter", Peter Slaughter & his rough trailhands brought the first Texas cattle to the White Mtns. C.1881 & built his P Lazy S Ranch on the Black River. Pete is buried here with 3 sons & extended family. — — Map (db m36593) HM
On East Main Street 0.2 miles east of South Mountain Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This bronze school bell summoned children until 1950. This 2 room adobe with high pitched roof & bell tower was added onto with brick, altering the entry & roof in 1927 & again in 1950. The school served the community 99 years. — — Map (db m36653) HM
On East Mohave Street at South Zuni Street, on the left when traveling west on East Mohave Street.
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage. — — Map (db m36594) HM
On South Mountain Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — — Map (db m36649) HM