Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West Historical Markers

The NSGW was formed by Albert Maver Winn in 1875 to preserve the California historic buildings and sites of the Gold Rush and prior. The only requirement to be a member is to have been born in California. The sister organization, NDGW, followed soon thereafter.593 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 393
 
Alameda City Hall Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, December 8, 2012
Alameda City Hall Marker
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda City Hall
This city hall is one of oldest operating city hall buildings in the State of California. It was constructed in 1895 in the Romanesque style and has been in continual use as a city hall since its completion. Original construction: Building cost . . . — Map (db m62216) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda Lodge No. 1015
Alameda Lodge No. 1015 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was formed by 25 Alameda residents who were members of Oakland Lodge No. 171. The Lodge was instituted on March 17, 1906 and it received its charter from the Grand Lodge on July . . . — Map (db m79864) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 440 — Alameda Terminus of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
[Center and Main Marker:] This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — Map (db m29447) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — GPY-140-02 — Clark Memorial BenchMy Dumb Friends Bench
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — Map (db m101553) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — First Presbyterian Church
Organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864. By 1865, the church had 12 charter members. Traveling ministers delivered Sunday sermons until 1867 when Reverend Nash was installed as the first pastor. The first sanctuary . . . — Map (db m62217) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 26 — Meyers House
The Meyers House was erected in 1897. This Colonial Revival style home was designed by and built for prominent East Bay architect Henry H. Meyers. It served as the family residence from 1897 to 1993. Meyers designed the Posey Tunnel Portals, Twin . . . — Map (db m79862) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — The Jimmy Doolittle Pier – Alameda Naval Air StationPier No. 3
On April 1, 1942, sixteen B-25 bombers were hoisted to the flight deck of the carrier Hornet and parked there, while moored at Pier No. 3 at U.S. Naval Station in Alameda. The B-25 detachment consisted of seventy officers and one hundred thirty . . . — Map (db m29431) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Webster House
This home built in 1854 for John Nelson Webster and Caroline Webster is Alameda’s oldest house. The house is a primary example of Gothic Revival architecture by renowned architect Andrew Jackson Downing. The house was prefabricated in New York, . . . — Map (db m78903) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Veterans Memorial Grove
[Marker #1] In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War C T Vinther • J T Gimbel • A H Ohman Berkeley Parlor No 210 Native Sons of the Golden West [Marker #2] This Tree . . . — Map (db m54338) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — 776 — Site of First Public School in Castro Valley
This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell made a land grant of this site for “educational purposes only” and paid the teacher’s salary, who taught children by day, in a one . . . — Map (db m100557) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 334 — Mission San José
At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narciso Durán, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 . . . — Map (db m100551) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — NSGW Hall - Eden Parlor No. 113Former Site
This is the former site of Eden Parlor No. 113 N.S.G.W. Hall 1890 to 1936 — Map (db m94223) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — Rancho San Lorenzo
Original site of corrals of Don Guillermo Castro and part of 26,722 acre grant of Rancho San Lorenzo made by Governor Michaeltorena, 1842. Rancho adobe stood on present site of City Hall. Castro’s wife was Marie Luisa Peralta, daughter of grantee of . . . — Map (db m41629) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyard
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m100553) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert LivermoreFirst Settler of Livermore Valley
Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858. Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josefa Higuera y Puentes 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835. “Next to the Mission Fathers, he was the first man to engage himself in the . . . — Map (db m100547) HM
California (Alameda County), Mountain House — Mountain House SchoolEstablished 1893
Current site constructed 1923 Alameda County, California For the purpose of providing a continuation of essential education and learning Angelita Parlor No. 32, N.D.G.W, Livermore, California Donner Parlor No. 193, N.D.G.W., Byron, . . . — Map (db m92924) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 107 — Joaquin Miller"Poet of the Sierras”
Joaquin Miller, “Poet of the Sierras,” resided on these acres, named by him “The Hights,” from 1886 to 1913. In this building known as The Abbey, he wrote “Columbus” and other poems. The surrounding trees were . . . — Map (db m100546) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Kottinger’s Barn
John W. Kottinger one of pioneer founders and first Justice of the Peace of Pleasanton constructed this adobe brick barn about 1852. So built that part of it could house prisoners brought to justice in his court. Thus serving as Pleasanton’s first . . . — Map (db m24592) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Rancho El Valle de San Jose
This grandstand is located on a portion of the historic Rancho El Valle de San Jose, granted to Pico, Sunol and Bernal by Mexico in 1839 forming part of Mission San Jose lands. Early settlers trained and raced horses here over 100 years ago. — Map (db m65971) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — The Pleasanton Hotel
In 1864, five years before the first railroad arrived in Pleasanton, John W. Kottinger demonstrated his faith in Pleasanton”s future by building the communities first hotel, The Farmer’s Hotel. The building was purchased by Henry in 1891 and . . . — Map (db m24607) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Masonic Temple
On August 21, 1909, the cornerstone (containing the lists of the Grand Officers and past Masters of Eden Lodge, documents relating to the new temple, copies of local newspapers, old coins and a Bible that had been carried by John Hamilton through . . . — Map (db m54746) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro Courthouse Site
Courthouse of Alameda County on this site early months of 1855. Moved here officially on March 10, 1856 by act of Legislature February 8, 1856. Site donated for county purposes by Jose Joaquin Estudillo. Courthouse move to Oakland 1873. — Map (db m26411) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 315 — Kit Carson
On this spot, which marks the summit of the Kit Carson Pass, stood what was known as the Kit Carson Tree on which the famous scout Kit Carson inscribed his name in 1844 when he guided the then Captain John C. Fremont, head of a government exploring . . . — Map (db m100568) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Alpine County Courthouse
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamp, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882 and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, libraries, hotels, and post offices in the counties of the State of . . . — Map (db m635) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Alpine County Historical Complex
The construction of this historical complex was initiated in 1964, "Alpine County's Centennial Year", by the Historical Society of Alpine County. With concerted effort and fortitude it was completed and duly dedicated as a historical landmark on . . . — Map (db m3088) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Snowshoe Thompson Home
John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (1827-1876) Native of Norway who carried mail across the Sierra Nevada on skis, assisting the needful for twenty years, dwelt and died on this site. Dedicated on June 30, 1990 Native Sons of the Golden West . . . — Map (db m21301) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Webster School
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamps, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882, and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, including schools, courthouses, commercial structures, and . . . — Map (db m3089) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — Woodfords Station
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — Map (db m100572) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — Imperial Hotel
Present two story brick structure was completed in 1879. Designed as a mercantile store, then converted to hotel and boarding house to accommodate local miners and travelers. Remained in operation until 1927. Walls at the base are twelve bricks . . . — Map (db m9005) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — Drytown
Rich placer mining, 1850’s. Origin of town’s name: Lack of water in nearby creek to wash gold. Many Chinese laborers in fields & mines. East gateway to New Chicago, New Philadelphia, Amador City; Quartz mines: Fremont-Gover & Treasure (1867), Bunker . . . — Map (db m74124) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — H. C. Farnham House 1855
Hiram C. Farnham built this home for his bride, Eunice Haynes. It overlooked the creek and steam powered sawmill that he built with James McLeod in 1853 to serve the new rich gold strike in Fiddletown. The boomtown was served by six stagecoaches a . . . — Map (db m41369) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista Store
Buena Vista's store and house situated in Jackson Valley, was built by John Fitzsimmons, then sold to Sam Cook, then to James Norris and afterwards to Jacob and Verona Strohm. Once situated in Lancha Plana it was moved by the Chinese who discovered . . . — Map (db m10189) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 788 — Daniel Stewart Co. Store
General merchandise store built by Daniel Stewart in 1856. First brick building erected in Ione Valley from nearby Muletown brick. Ione, once known as "Bed-Bug" and "Freeze-Out” was an important supply center on the main road to the Mother . . . — Map (db m100587) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Brewery
Built in the 1860’s of Ione Brick by Brewers Raab and Huttner. Served as a Brewery for Over 30 Years. In 1907 C.C. Prouty Moved His Creamery to this Site. A Soda Works and Ice Plant Were Installed in 1910. Various Businesses Have Occupied the . . . — Map (db m15825) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione City Hall
Originally built as the three story commercial hotel in 1864, razed by fire and re-built as a one story building in 1930. Remodeled in 1966 by the City of Ione as its City Hall. Mayor David S. Mason III Councilmen Jack Gasawawy • . . . — Map (db m2373) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione High School
The first high school in Amador County was erected on this spot in 1903 by the Ione Academy, a private corporation. The original two-story frame structure, built at a cost of $2,287, housed the school until 1939. As a result of the steady growth in . . . — Map (db m94743) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W.
This building, built in the year of 1854, was originally a hardware store on the ground floor and a dance hall on the upper floor. Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W. bought the building in the year 1884 and has continuously owned it and met here . . . — Map (db m2380) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Annual Picnic
In 1876 Ione’s Annual Picnic moved from Shakeley Hill to this location. The 100 acre park is part of an 1840 land grant and was leased to the city by the Howard Estate May 11, 1967. The park during it’s early years hosted many of the important horse . . . — Map (db m42400) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Chinatown
Looking North from this monument lies 5.22 acres which was originally deeded to Ky Kee, Hop Wah Chung, Quong On Long and Chang Hang Co. in 1883. Known as Chinatown, the community was comprised of stores, homes and a Joss House. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m42397) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Quincy - Ione's Sister City
Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's. Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio . . . — Map (db m94747) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Scully Ranch
Property settled by J. P. Martin in 1848. Home built circa 1852. Purchased in 1882 by William Scully, who arrived from Ireland in 1854. The Scully family has owned and operated the ranch for five generations. Present owners are Robert and Etta . . . — Map (db m42398) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Steam Flour Mill
Built in 1856 by Thomas Rickey Yearly grind 4000 Tons Barley – Oats – Corn — Map (db m42401) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — The Heirloom
Built circa 1863, this imposing residence with its classical columns, two-storied gallery, French window and fan transom, is an important local representative of the Greek Revival tradition in America. The house, constructed of locally fired brick, . . . — Map (db m94748) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Argonaut Mine
On the hill to your right stand the remains of the Argonaut Mine gallus (headframe), beneath which 47 miners were lost when a fire broke out deep in the main shaft on August 27, 1922. At that time the Argonaut was one of the deepest gold mines in . . . — Map (db m94781) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Butte Store
Constructed by Italian stone mason in 1857. Served pioneer settlers and miners as post office and general store later later known as Ginocchio's. — Map (db m100579) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2010-08 — Excelsior Parlor 31Native Sons of the Golden West
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — Map (db m71556) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Hangman's Tree
Here stood in early days the Hangman’s Tree This marker placed by Ursula Parlor No.1 N.D.G.W July 24, 1937 — Map (db m27881) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called "Bottileas” by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here. In 1849, it was named Jackson for Colonel Jackson an early day resident. In 1853, Amador . . . — Map (db m72060) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Jackson Fire Bell
This trusty bell served Jackson faithfully for over 70 years. Located in tower near courthouse. Warning of fire or other peril. Dedicated July 8, 1989 by Amador County Historical Society and Excelsior . . . — Map (db m19750) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mining and Milling Company1860 - 1942
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — Map (db m19797) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Law Office
Law office built circa 1860 by United States Senator from California James F. Farley Law office of Angelo De Paoli — Map (db m42456) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Sesquicentennial Court House Site
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — Map (db m27910) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — Map (db m11514) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — The Court House Well
Under This Tablet Is The Court House Well Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth For generations it was a main source of domestic water for the community. “Gone is the ancient equipment but still the living water flows.” . . . — Map (db m27908) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — University of California Foothill Field Station1888 – 1903
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — Map (db m72065) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo Building
First structure on site built in 1851. Bar portion of building erected in 1856 as drug store. Wells Fargo Express Agency moved to store briefly in 1887. Two story section built in 1858, used as a general store. Easterly one story section built in . . . — Map (db m27857) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — To The Memory of Mike ToveyWells Fargo Messenger
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — Map (db m41555) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Forest Home1850's — Stage and Freight Stopover
Copper mines patented 1873: Peak Outputs: Early 1860’s, 1895-1917, 1943-1947, Township organized 1854. A Methodist center for many years U.S. Postoffice: 1862-1905 — Map (db m11361) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Shenandoah School1879
This bell called the children of Shenandoah Valley to school. The school district was first named Williams after the family with the most children, then changed to Shenandoah in 1916. In 1952 with the creation of the Oro Madre School District . . . — Map (db m10350) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1854 · Amador County · 1954
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill. Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — Map (db m11222) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Brignoli Building1858
Built of native greenstone by Bartolomeo Brignole for a general store. Operated by his family until 1944. — Map (db m29818) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — In Memory of General John A. SutterBenefactor of the Great State of — California
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered. Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold. This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — Map (db m13407) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — J. Monteverde General Store Museum
Typical of old country stores at the turn of the century. Opened in 1898. Over its counter and from its shed, the Monteverde Family offered for sale all manner and description of merchandise. The emporium served as a meeting place for housewives, . . . — Map (db m8975) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Levaggi Opera House
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — Map (db m29814) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Native Sons Hall
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. . . . — Map (db m10744) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek
On September 4, 1854 Sutter Creek was declared by Judge Marion Gordon an incorporated town. Sutter Creek's limits were one mile square. The center was "The Liberty Flag Pole", atop Main Street (Little Humbug Hill) where the Native Sons Hall stands . . . — Map (db m94113) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Grammar School1871
Learning was revered by Sutter Creek citizens whose school stands as an historic proof of the belief in education. — Map (db m28052) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek United Methodist Church
In 1861 under leadership of Rev. I.B. Fish this church was built . Trustees incorporated the church as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1862. Between 1863 and 1867 the Ladies Aid Society gave $1,300 for the back room addition. The steeple was added . . . — Map (db m13684) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek’s First Fire Bell
Within the bell The following is inscribed "Hung by G. Chisholm, Dan Ramazzotti Oct. 18, 1907 Director – F. N. Soracco, F. Warner E. Deacon – Sutter Creek Fire Co. Cast by A. Fulton’s Son and Company Pittsburg, PA. Ordered by . . . — Map (db m94750) HM
California (Butte County), Berry Creek — Lake Madrone Cemetery
The Berry Creek Cemetery, sometimes referred to as the Lake Madrone Cemetery by local residents, served as a community graveyard for many years. The earliest known date of death for a person interred here is 1875. The cemetery fell into disrepair in . . . — Map (db m61683) HM
California (Butte County), Centerville — Centerville Cemetery
Main Marker: Burials here date back to the early 1860’s but it was 1900 before the first cemetery association purchased the land from Theodore Willrich and started keeping records. In 1958 a few residents re-formed the organization which . . . — Map (db m29709) HM
California (Butte County), Centerville — Centerville School
Erected in 1894 by C.H. Hintz this building was used continuously for school purposes until 1966 when due to unification, pupils were bussed into Chico. The first teacher was Miss Ada Woods. Cost of building was $600.Purchased by Centerville . . . — Map (db m29692) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — General John and Annie K. Bidwell Gravesite
This marks the location of General John and Annie K. Bidwell’s Gravesite Founders and Benefactors of Chico — Map (db m29745) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — 771 — The Dogtown Nugget
This marker symbolizes the discovery of the first large gold nugget in California. It was found across this canyon in Willard Gulch April 12, 1859. Weight 54 pounds. — Map (db m29663) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 330 — Bidwell's Bar1853 – 1856
Erected by Argonaut Parlor No. 8. Native Sons of the Golden West and Butte County Board of Supervisors To designate the site of the second county seat of Butte County Bidwell's Bar 1853 – 1856 Site of the Court House was . . . — Map (db m100598) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Braselton Home Site
In memory of James D. Braselton his wife Anna C. Braselton and their family The erection of this historical monument marking the site of their home here at Garden Ranch built in 1887 and the Braselton Room in the Oroville . . . — Map (db m69789) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Butte County Court House at Oroville
1956 marks 1st centennial of Butte County Court House at Oroville 3rd county seat of Butte County — Map (db m61557) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Completion of 4th Railorad in CaliforniaMiddletown
To Commemorate completion of 4th Railorad in California – Marysville to Oroville, by California Northern Railroad, later the Southern Pacific Co. 1st passenger train February 9 – 1864. Also marks site of Middletown 1854 – 1856. — Map (db m65878) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — First Banking Institution in Ophir
This tablet commemorates the establishment of the First Banking Institution in Ophir now Oroville which was located on this site and occupied by McWilliams & Tymeson - G.A. Emery - Geo. Faulkner & Co. 1855-1865 . . . — Map (db m25694) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oregon City Cemetery
In 1864 the Strang family moved to Oregon City. The institution date of the Oregon City Cemetery is unknown, the oldest grave is believed to be August 16, 1878. William H. Strang granted to the inhabitants of Oregon City and vicinity this piece of . . . — Map (db m61706) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Chinese Cemetery1850 -1944
This cemetery was established in 1850 during the Gold Rush days to serve the Chinese communities of Lava Beds, Bagdad, Bidwell Bar and Ophir City (now Oroville). The last burial here was in 1944. — Map (db m61494) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Pioneer Cemetery
A memorial to those whose burial places in Bidwell Bar Cemetery Enterprise Cemetery And six family plots were moved to make way for the rising waters of Oroville Reservoir — Map (db m69793) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Site of 1st Sawmill
"Site of 1st Sawmill Erected by Argonaut Parlor No. 8 Native Sons and Gold of Ophir Parlor No. 190 Native Daughters, commemorating the Bicentennial Year 1776 – 1976” — Map (db m61558) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Site of the First Flour Mill
“Site of first flour mill in Ophir City now Oroville, built in 1858. Erected and dedicated by Argonaut Parlor No. 8 Native Sons and Gold of Ophir Parlor No. 190 Native Daughters as part of the Bicentennial Year Celebration 1776 – . . . — Map (db m65842) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 809 — The Last Yahi Indian
For thousands of years the Yahi Indians roamed the foothills between Mt. Lassen and the Sacramento Valley. Settlement of this region by the white man brought death to the Yahi by gun, by disease, and by hunger. By the turn of the century only a few . . . — Map (db m100601) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 314 — The Mother Orange Tree of Butte CountyBidwell Bar Bridge
To commemorate The Mother Orange Tree of Butte County planted at this spot by Judge Joseph Lewis in 1856 The Bidwell Bar Bridge First suspension bridge of California Transported from New York via Cape Horn 1853. Completed . . . — Map (db m100596) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Old Paradise
On these 4 corners was the Old Town of Paradise, known in the 1860’s as Leonard’s Mill. Just north was the mill, hotel and stage stop. To the N.E. was a turpentine distillery. To the east was the school. The Paradise post office was established and . . . — Map (db m66140) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Butte 011 — Old Paradise Depot
Constructed in 1903, this depot is one of three maintained along the Butte County Railroad, a 31 mile line from Chico to Stirling City, completed by Diamond Match Co. in 1904. The railroad was later acquired by Southern Pacific and operated as a . . . — Map (db m29671) HM
California (Butte County), Thermalito — Hamilton1851 – 1853
Erected by Argonaut Parlor No. 8 Native Sons of the Golden West and Butte County Board of Supervisors to designate the site of the first county seat of Butte County. Hamilton 1851 – 1853 Site of Court House was 600 yds. . . . — Map (db m95740) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 288 — Altaville Foundry & Machine WorksFounded by J.M. Wooster — Est. 1854
Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville . . . — Map (db m13005) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 499 — Altaville Grammar School
This brick building, erected in 1858 with funds raised by a dance in the Billiard Saloon of the N.R. Prince Building (which still stands), is one of the oldest schools of California. Used as a school until 1950, it was then replaced by the present . . . — Map (db m10143) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 735 — Prince-Garibardi Building
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — Map (db m11047) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Camp 9 Powerhouse Pelton Wheel
The use of wheels to convert flowing or falling water into power began in ancient Greece around the third to the first century B.C. In 1878 Lester Allan Pelton, a carpenter and blacksmith from Nevada City, invented a new design for an impulse water . . . — Map (db m101590) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — GPY-135-2 — Hogarth Stamp Mill
In 1895 Harry Hogarth, James Candy and Naylor Williams filed a claim for the Relief Quartz Mine on a hillside above Six Mile Creek near Angels Camp. In 1920, after working the claim by hand for many years, the Hogarths; Harry Sr, Harry Jr, and . . . — Map (db m56553) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Just Jenny
This steam traction engine was built by Owens, Lane, Dyer & Co. of Hamilton Ohio most likely in the 1870s. Its particular gear drive mechanism, along with the incline cylinder distinguish it as an O.L.D. & Co. machine. According to the story, this . . . — Map (db m101594) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Ol' Beth
This Best 110 hp steam traction engine, built 1903-1906, was originally used by Pacific Borax Co. to pull ore wagons. The next owner was the Dixie Mill, near Sheep Ranch, where it was used to haul logs down the steep hillsides to the loading deck. . . . — Map (db m101613) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Serpentine Drill Core Section
This core section was created in 1934 while boring an air/service shaft for the Idaho-Maryland Mine in Grass Valley, California. The overseer of this demanding project was mining engineer J.B. Newsome. Reputed to be the largest drill core of its . . . — Map (db m101617) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Stalactite/Stalagmite
This natural formation came from a cavern on the property of the Calaveras Cement Co., located near Calaveritas in Calaveras County. It was donated to the museum by the Flintkote Co. in 1957. Collectively known as speleothems, these ancient . . . — Map (db m101618) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Utica Mine North Shaft
Utica Mine, the most important mine in the Angels District, set national records in the 1890's producing more than 4 million dollars in gold in 30 months. The Utica was also the site of Angels Camp's worst mine disaster when 17 men were buried when . . . — Map (db m25646) HM
California (Calaveras County), Avery — Avery HotelFormerly Half-Way House
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850’s by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton . . . — Map (db m10615) HM
California (Calaveras County), Calaveritas — The Costa StoreConstructed by Mr. Luigi Costa in 1852
He conducted a butcher shop, a distillery and various other enterprises in these buildings, for a total of 50 years. Descendants of Luigi and Charlotte Costa have preserved this handsome example of the heritage of Calaveritas. — Map (db m12994) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Armory
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — Map (db m13003) HM
California (Calaveras County), Jenny Lind — 266 — Jenny Lind
Settled in the 1840’s as a flourishing gold mining, cattle ranching and farming community. — Map (db m13040) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 269 — Mokelumne Hill
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of the richest placer mining section of . . . — Map (db m12996) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — GPY 136-10 — Buena Vista Cemetery
Buena Vista Cemetery's oldest grave marker, for a six year old boy, has the date of death of June 26, 1855. Older graves may exist that have no markers on them. Buena Vista is the earliest official burial location in Murphys. In 1930, Buena Vista . . . — Map (db m66122) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall
Built 1901, on land donated by Joseph Heinsdorff, Sr., for use by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The two-storied shiplap-sided structure was constructed with locally milled lumber, using large stones as foundation. In 1991, the stones were . . . — Map (db m32860) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store
After a fire in 1859, pioneer Doctor Jones rebuilt this structure to withstand future disasters. It served as his office, and is constructed of limestone, brick, 30 inch windowless walls and iron shuttered doors. In 1867, it was sold to John Hauselt . . . — Map (db m16049) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 275 — Murphys
One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 . . . — Map (db m3887) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Native Sons of the Golden West
Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905. This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and . . . — Map (db m33008) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Old Segale Building
Rebuilt in 1859 as a stone, fire-proof, grocery and provisions store by Vassallo & Co. In 1861 was the homestead of J.C. Green & Wife. By 1863 owned & operated as a bakery by B.M. Orengo & Ruiseco. It is said that the baker Ruiseco was shot to death . . . — Map (db m51568) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Old Sperry Hotel
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — Map (db m32742) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 466 — Peter L. Traver Building
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage. — Map (db m2611) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 465 — Site of Brownsville
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — Map (db m11501) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store
The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick . . . — Map (db m16189) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Heinsdorff Bakery
In 1862, tinsmith Louis Robinson constructed this brick and stone building to replace his original frame store which was destroyed in the fire of August 20, 1859. In 1869 it became a bakery and store, a use it was to have over the next 40 years. The . . . — Map (db m16016) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Old Fisk Building
One of the pioneer structures in Murphys, built after the great fire of 1859 by Freeman Dunbar and Company and called Union Saloon and Bowling Alley. It was operated in the 1870’s by W.C. Crispin, and in the 1880’s by Charles E. Fisk. Later it was a . . . — Map (db m32814) HM
California (Calaveras County), Vallecito — Vallecito
One of California's important early day mining towns named by Mexicans meaning Little Valley. Gold was discovered here by the Murphy Brothers on 1849. It was originally called "Murphys' Old Diggings". This bell was cast at Troy N.Y. in 1853. After . . . — Map (db m6841) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 253 — Sandy Gulch
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand. Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — Map (db m11975) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Birthplace of Antioch
This Plaque commemorates the arrival of the first settlers in Antioch. September 16, 1850 Led by Captain George W. Kimball the party sailed from Maine aboard the California Packet No.2 March 1850 And reached San Francisco Bay August . . . — Map (db m37593) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Brentwood — John and Abby MarshIn Memory of
Builders of the stone house 1856 Abby Marsh died August 1855 John Marsh first doctor in California arrived 1836 Born 1799, Murdered Sept. 24 1856 — Map (db m94654) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Capt. Joseph R. Walker
In memory of Capt. Joseph R. Walker Pioneer Camped in Yosemite Nov. 13, 1833 Born Roan Co. Tenn Dec. 13, 1798 Died Oct 27, 1876 — Map (db m93539) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Port Costa — McNear Warehouse
This warehouse was built in 1886 by G.W. McNear, as the first fireproof building in Contra Costa County. It was built for the storage of wheat, hay and potatoes. From 1881 to 1882 one-hundred and three ships of wheat were loaded in Port Costa. It . . . — Map (db m94253) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — GPY 135-10 — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — Map (db m67659) HM
California (El Dorado County), Cameron Park — GPY 137-01 — James Skinner Winery & Distillery
Founded by Scottish gold miner James Skinner in 1861 in the community that became known as Skinners. Strategically placed on the Pony Express Trail, the J. Skinner Native Wine and Brandy Co. was one of the first commercial vineyards in the country, . . . — Map (db m66603) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 2010-03 — 200th Anniversary of James W. Marshall's Birth
On the occasion of James W. Marshall's 200th birthday, the Native Sons of the Golden West rededicate this monument erected in his honor. Born in Hopewell Township, Mercer County, New Jersey to Phillip and Sarah Wilson Marshall on October 8, 1810, he . . . — Map (db m71528) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Capt. William E. Shannon
First Alcade of Coloma Delegate from this area to First State Constitutional Convention Convention at Monterey. September 1849 — Map (db m17467) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. Marshall1810 - 1885
. . . — Map (db m71527) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James Wilson MarshallAnd the Coloma Valley
James Marshall arrived in the “Collumah”, valley home of the Nisenan, on May 8, 1847 to map the site for a sawmill he was to build in partnership with John Sutter. On August 18, Marshall returned with a crew, mostly Mormons, to build the . . . — Map (db m39013) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Cemetery – 1848
Originated at time of gold discovery also known as “Coloma Protestant” or “Vineyard House” Cemetery. Still used by local pioneer families. — Map (db m12277) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 530 — Sutter’s Mill Site
This rock monument marks site of John A. Sutter's saw mill in the tailrace of which James W. Marshall discovered gold, January 24, 1848, starting the great rush of argonauts to California. The Society of California Pioneers definitely located and . . . — Map (db m39015) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Diamond Springs I.O.O.F. No. 09 Lodge Hall
The oldest fraternal edifice in continuous use on the West Coast. Built on this hillside, not on the main street as in the usual practice for the era. It avoided the ravages of fire which razed the town of Diamond Springs on several occasions. . . . — Map (db m19263) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Odd Fellows Hall
Erected in 1852 by Diamond Springs Lodge No.9 I.O.O.F. Oldest building in constant use By the Odd Fellows in California Dedicated to the memory of the Pioneer Odd Fellows Of El Dorado County by Marguerite Parlor No.12 Native . . . — Map (db m19264) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — Hiram No.43 Masonic Building
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862. On September 17, 1923 a fire . . . — Map (db m12396) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 17 — Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall
[Three small markers are mounted on the front of the building:] Marker 1: Balsar House A hotel built in 1850 by Madam Balsar Remodeled for an opera house in 1870. Restored by the Independent Order Odd Fellows and used as a . . . — Map (db m54812) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Community United Methodist Church
During the 1850’s the Methodists were the first to serve in the mining towns of El Dorado County. Some ministers traveled on horseback from one mining town to another with a Bible and a Colt Revolver. Known as Georgetown Methodist Episcopal Church, . . . — Map (db m55075) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 2010-04 — Georgetown School
Education for children on the Georgetown Divide began with home schools for a few gold miner families in the early 1850s. The first permanent school was established in 1854, on School Street. It was replaced in 1890 by a two-story school house on . . . — Map (db m93981) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgia Slide
One and a half miles north of Georgetown sailors from Georgia established claims in 1849. General store and mining camp in 1850 which later produced by seam diggins hydraulic and flood sluicing methods. The famous Blue Rock, Pacific Beattie and . . . — Map (db m54943) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — The American HotelBuilt in 1863
Served as – hotel, rooming house, sanitarium and private residence during mining era. Burned in 1897 fire, rebuilt in 1899. — Map (db m54875) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Bee-Bennett House
One of the oldest preserved homes of Placerville (Old Hangtown) originally built in 1853 by Col. Fred A. Bee, pioneer merchant, and enlarged in 1889 by Judge Marcus P. Bennett, early jurist, retaining redwood ornate paneling woodwork and fireplace . . . — Map (db m42260) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Boeger Winery
This fieldstone building was built by Giovanni N. Lombardo in 1872 from stones cleared to plant vineyards on the property. The lower cellar was used to produce wine for the local community. The grapes were crushed in the upper story living room and . . . — Map (db m101534) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Confidence Hall
This building was erected in the Fall of 1860 for Confidence Engine Company No.1, organized in June 1857. City government located here since 1902. — Map (db m35546) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Emigrant Jane
Drove a band of horses across the plains and from the proceeds of their sale she erected this building in 1861. — Map (db m13272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Fountain and Tallman Soda Works
This building erected in 1852 withstood the fire of 1856. Dedicated to the memory of of the PIONEERS — Map (db m13269) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 141 — Hangmans Tree
This city in the days of ’49 was called “Hangtown” This was the site of Elstner’s Hay Yard on which stood the ‘Hangman’s Tree’ where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this . . . — Map (db m10504) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Morning Star #20 I.O.O.F Lodge Building
Morning Star Lodge #20 was instituted February 9, 1854. The Lodge met for several years on the second floor of a 48 x 24 foot hillside building near here. In 1859, the members erected a building on this site. On May 15th, 1910, a fire started in the . . . — Map (db m35518) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Placerville Hardware
Oldest continuously operating hardware store west of the Mississippi River One hundred forty years in business — Map (db m13154) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Randolph Jewelers
The oldest jewelry store In the West Established 1852 — Map (db m65254) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Old Vet’s Building
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — Map (db m13165) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Upper Central House
First operated by Elias Parker, only Gold Rush hotel still standing in Placerville. Used as the Placerville Academy School from 1871 – 1894. Dedicated May 6, 1962, by Marguerite Parlor No.12, Native Daughters of the Golden West on their 75th . . . — Map (db m12760) HM
California (El Dorado County), Rescue — 747 — The Coloma Road
Past this point on the Old Coloma Road, running between Sutter’s Fort and his sawmill on the American River, James W. Marshall rode with the first gold discovered at Coloma on Jan. 24, 1848. Traveled by thousands to and from the diggings, this road . . . — Map (db m11268) HM
California (El Dorado County), Skinners — 703 — Pleasant Grove House
This was the site of a popular roadhouse, where the ponies of the Central Overland Pony Express were changed during July 1, 1860 to June 30, 1861. From here the route of the pony riders continued westward to Folsom and eastward through Rescue, Dry . . . — Map (db m10442) HM
California (El Dorado County), Volcanoville — 137-03 — The Josephine Mine Cemetery
The Josephine Mine was an integral part of the 1849 California Gold Rush and remained in operation until 1937. This cemetery is the final resting place of some of the pioneers that forged the western frontier and veterans of early American wars. The . . . — Map (db m67644) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Coaling Station A
This is the approximate site of Coaling Station A established by the S.P.R.R. in the late 1880’s from which the City of Coalinga derived its name. — Map (db m63892) HM
California (Glenn County), Willows — Kanawha
Settled by Granville Swift 1840 Named by Levi Welch Post Office 1871-1879 Dedicated to all Pioneers — Map (db m89197) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 135-8 — Jacoby's Storehouse
Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the . . . — Map (db m94513) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Arkley Center for the Performing ArtsThe State Theater
Richard Sweasey originally financed the construction of this theater which displays his name. Mr. Sweasey was a businessman in the early days of Eureka. Sweasey served as a member of the California State Legislature and several terms as a Humboldt . . . — Map (db m71971) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Clarke Memorial Museum
Dedicated to the memory of my parents Joseph H. & Annie F. Clarke and other pioneers of Northwestern California by Cecile Clarke Dedicated August 21, 1960 by the Native Sons of the Golden West — Map (db m1505) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Hose Company Number 4
Built in 1884, this building became home of “Columbia Hose Company Number 4”, chartered April 2, 1894. It is the oldest surviving structure of the 7 volunteer companies organized in Eureka between 1873 and 1908. Original building had 2 . . . — Map (db m91922) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — N.S.G.W. Hall
This historic building was erected in 1887 by L.T. Kinsey and sold to the Society of Humboldt County Pioneers in 1890. On June 15, 1897 it was purchased by Humboldt Parlor No. 14 N.S.G.W. — Map (db m71970) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Carson House
This home, also known as the “Pink Lady,” is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer . . . — Map (db m1498) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Samuel W. McFarland Blockcirca 1885-1903
The six Victorian era houses “905-935” Third Steet were developed by Samuel McFarland from 1884 to 1904. Mr. McFarland came to Humboldt County from New Brunswick, Canada in 1866 at the invitation of his brother-in-law, William Carson . . . — Map (db m71972) HM
California (Humboldt County), Fernbridge — Fernbridge
Dedicated on November 16, 1911 and affectionately known as the "Queen of Bridges", it was the longest reinforced concreted arch structure in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard, Civil Engineer, . . . — Map (db m71907) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 2009-8 — "Poppa Joe's"
Erected in the early 1870s, this magnificent structure was a drug store. In 1877 it became known as the Alford Drug Store until 1886. In 1879, Wells Fargo and Co. established an express station in the Alford Drug Store and maintained it through . . . — Map (db m71959) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 137-07 — "The Danish Hall"
Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. . . . — Map (db m71939) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — GPY 136-09 — "The Victorian Inn"
The Victorian Inn was built in 1890 with completion in 1891, and known as the Russ Building. The structure was originally built to house the Ferndale Bank with the Ferndale Enterprise Newspaper following. There were 33 rooms on the second floor; . . . — Map (db m65289) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Ferndale Meat Market
Ferndale Meat Market was already in operation at the time of the fire of 1875 and was lost in the fire of April 1881. It was rebuilt at its present location and back in operation by mid May of that same year. Joseph Russ’ involvement in the business . . . — Map (db m71955) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Ferndale Palace Saloon
Circa 1890. Furthest westernly bar in the continental United States. Dedicated February 13, 1993 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Harley M. Harty, Grand President In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger PGP — Map (db m65266) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Hotel Ivanhoe
Also known as the Roberts Hotel, Ferndale Hotel, and the Italian-Swiss Hotel, it was the first and is the last of the original hostelries in Ferndale. Originally built in 1870, burnt to the ground and rebuilt in 1875, then remodeled in the late . . . — Map (db m71958) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Joseph C. Oeschger Field
Dedicated to Joseph Carl Oeschger in Recognition of his contribution to sports and to the youth who participate. An all around athlete who began his career in Ferndale, he went on to professional baseball where he distinguished himself as a . . . — Map (db m71956) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Old Firemen's Pavilion
Built in 1922, and constructed mainly of old growth redwood by volunteers of the Ferndale Community. Fire destroyed the kitchen in 1963. Rebuilt in 1990-1993 through contributions and community efforts. It has served our community well throughout . . . — Map (db m65190) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — The First California Central Creamery
This site, originally R.A. Simpson's Ferndale Mechanical Shop, and shared by A. Monroe Cider and Vinegar Company, was chosen in 1904 by Aage Jensen as the founding location of the Central Creamery with first production of butter in September, . . . — Map (db m65235) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 136-3 — The Gazebo
Built in 1898 this building is of the East Lake Stick-Style tradition, a fine example of Victorian Architecture. The tapered oriel windows that project from the upper story are Italianate in shape with the overall design being very much English. . . . — Map (db m71953) HM
California (Humboldt County), Samoa — Samoa Cookhouse Circa 1893
This is the last lumber camp style cookhouse in operation in North America. This cookhouse was originally opened as part of Samoa, one of the last company owned towns in the United States, established by the Vance Lumber Company. The original . . . — Map (db m65422) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — 2010-7 — Scotia Museum
The Scotia Museum is a textbook example of Greek Revival architecture. The natural redwood trunks used for classical columns have an unmistakeable association with the timber industry. The two-story structure has a low-pitched shingle roof, a . . . — Map (db m61055) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — The Pacific Lumber CompanyEstablished 1869 in Humboldt County
Their first sawmill was built in 1887 at their current location and employed 150 men to turn the giant redwoods into shingles and other products. Originally named Forestville, the town name was changed to Scotia in 1888. Scotia is one of the last . . . — Map (db m71988) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — McConnell RanchEstablished 1908
In 1908 Hardy McConnell and son, Leslie, (A Native Son) left Temescal Canyon, near Corona, enroute to settle in Imperial Valley, driving two teams of horses pulling wagons, hauling farm implements, chickens and leading a cow. Fourteen days later . . . — Map (db m81635) HM
California (Imperial County), El Centro — Women's 10,000 Club
Established and organized in 1908 as the Men Club to promote the city of El Centro, their first goal was for El Centro to reach a population of 10,000 residents. On October 30, 1908 the women took over the club and renamed it the Women's 10,000 . . . — Map (db m101569) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — City of Holtville"Carrot Capital of the World"
Incorporated 1908 Carried by a vote of 56 to 8 — Map (db m101558) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Harold Bell WrightPreacher-Writer-Outdoorsman — May 4, 1872 - May 24, 1944
Harold Bell Wright rose from poverty to become "America's favorite author" for the first three decades of the 20th Century. Many of his 19 books were best sellers and made into both "silent" and later "talkies". They include '"The Winning of . . . — Map (db m62033) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Holtville
E Clampus Vitus marker dedicated 1983 Holtville W. F. Holt established this townsite in 1903; built the first electric power plant at 3rd and Holt, the Holton Interurban RR; started the first church, the first newspaper and donated . . . — Map (db m62031) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Church of the Brethren Site - Dunkard Church
The church was organized January 14, 1911. The building was constructed the same year on one-half acre of land given by W.J. Seat, located one-quarter mile south of this site. The founders saw Imperial Valley as a land of opportunity for their . . . — Map (db m62014) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — Imperial Irrigation District
The largest gravity fed irrigation district in the western hemisphere, established in 1911. They later assumed control of several water companies and were instrumental in getting the Hoover Dam and the All American Canal built. They commenced . . . — Map (db m62035) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Ben Hulse HighwayDedicated for Public Use — March 21, 1964
This highway parallels the old Indian trail, still visible from here, connecting the Imperial and Palo Verde Valleys. The grateful people of Imperial County honor the memory of our beloved Senator Ben Hulse, who worked untiringly for the people . . . — Map (db m57702) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — 371 — Francisco Garces O.F.M
Padre Garcés, first recorded non-Indian to visit this locality, came in April of 1776, seeking a new route from Mexico to California. His epic journey covered more than two thousand miles of uncharted wilderness, opening trails that later became . . . — Map (db m11932) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 382 — Colonel Thomas Baker
California Historical Landmark Colonel Thomas Baker Civil Engineer – Lawyer Farmer – Soldier 1810 – 1872 In 1863 Colonel Baker came to this location. A friend to all travelers. His settlement became known at . . . — Map (db m24900) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 290 — Discovery WellKern River Field — California Historical Landmark
Oil was discovered at 70 feet in 1899, when Tom Means persuaded Roe Elwood and Frank Wiseman, aided by Jonathan, Bert, Jed, and Ken Elwood, George Wiseman, and John Marlowe, to dig here for oil. On June 1, 1899, 400 feet to the north, Horace and . . . — Map (db m25294) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 137 — Gordons FerryCalifornia Historic Landmark
Gordon’s Ferry was an overhead cable type of ferry operated during the 1850’s by Major Gordon. An adobe station house was located on the south bank of Kern River, just a few yards to the west of this marker. It was also a station on the Butterfield . . . — Map (db m25149) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 732 — Home of Elisha Stevens
Near this spot stood the last home of Elisha Stevens, noted American pathfinder and scout. Born in Georgia April 5, 1804, he learned blacksmithing during his youth. Drifting west he became a trapper on the Upper Missouri for more than two decades. . . . — Map (db m50252) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 588 — Kern River Slough
Just south of this point stood the Butterfield Overland Stage site known as Kern River Slough. Operating through present Kern County during 1858 – 1861. This famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of . . . — Map (db m24946) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 690 — Last Home of Alexis Godey
Near this site stood the home of Alexis Godey, frontiersman and scout, who lived here from 1883 until his death on January 19, 1889. Born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1818, he acted as guide for John C. Frémont's expedition through the Kern area in . . . — Map (db m51676) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Norris School
One-room school houses dotted the rural Western landscape to serve sparse populations before the automobile made transportation to towns faster and easier. This one-room school was built in 1882 north of the town of Rosedale on land . . . — Map (db m25075) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 278 — Rio de San FelipeCalifornia Historical Landmark
One mile north of here on May 1, 1776, Francisco Garces of the Franciscan Order, crossed Kern River in his search for a shorter route from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. He was the first known explorer to describe this river, which he named . . . — Map (db m24984) HM
California (Kern County), Caliente — 741 — Bealeville
Named for Edward F. Beale this station on the Southern Pacific rail line was established in 1876 as a depot and telegraph office. Service was discontinued in 1943. Beale was Superintendent of California Indian Affairs during the 1850’s. In 1865 he . . . — Map (db m50253) HM
California (Kern County), Caliente — 757 — Caliente
Originally known as Allen's Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named Caliente when railroad construction reached this point in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for . . . — Map (db m11935) HM
California (Kern County), Glennville — 495 — Glennville Adobe
Kern County’s oldest residence. Built before Civil War by Thomas Fitzgerald as trading post at junction of two Indian trails. Present Greenhorn Road follows east – west trail (later McFarlane Toll Road) to Kern River mining districts. Town . . . — Map (db m25032) HM
California (Kern County), Glennville — 672 — Lavers Crossing
In 1854 John C. Reid filed a squatter’s claim on this spot. This same year Kern County’s first school class was held here. In 1859 David Lavers, with his father and brother, John, built a hotel and stage barn on the Old Bull Road. The crossing was . . . — Map (db m25323) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 300 — Rose Station
Wm. B. Rose, in 1875, a mile east; built an adobe stage station on the site of the Overland Mail Way Station established 1858. From 1853 to 1875 site was known as Rancho Canoa (trough). Originally vaquero camp of the Sebastian Indian Reservation. . . . — Map (db m20196) HM

593 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 393
Paid Advertisement